gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680851 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 08:24:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Worst albums of all time.  (Read 33308 times)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 04, 2012, 01:36:04 AM »

In response to the Grateful Dead posts, cant quote from the cell phone...Beyond a few of the hits, I could care less about their music. I think I`d go crazy with impatience during a Dead show. I`d be hitting the concession stand during Dark Star, as sacreligious as that sounds.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2012, 03:04:16 AM »

Aside from their two super-acclaimed studio albums (Workingman's Dead and American Beauty, both of which my parents played every single day for the first 15 years of my life, thus eliminating any objectivity I could have about them), I'd say the Dead's best album is Aoxomoxoa. After being used to the various live versions of most of the tracks, the studio stuff is pretty cool.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
liam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 05, 2012, 04:32:16 AM »

Zephyr Song has a nice melody, though...

Pity it's taken from "Oliver's Army"...  Smiley

OK - Worst Album. ... Shania Twain - "Up!"

liam
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2012, 10:05:50 PM »

Recently heard the notorious "last" Velvet Underground album Squeeze for the first time - the one where Velvets manager Steve Sesnick put Doug Yule and Deep Purple's drummer Ian Paice into a studio, recorded a bunch of Yule's songs with no participation from any original Velvet still in the band (just Moe Tucker by that point), and released it as a successor to Loaded. 

It's primarily offensive because it's billed as a Velvets album. Had it been released as a Doug Yule album, it probably would have been quietly forgotten as a middling example of some slightly Grateful Dead/Poco/early James Taylor-influenced music. But a couple of the songs are probably on a par with the lesser (ie Yule-written) tracks on Loaded.

Actually, Yule didn't write any of the songs on LOADED - they're all Lou Reed's.

My mistake. Every time I hear "Who Loves The Sun" it's such a spectacular example of sunshine pop I keep forgetting Lou wrote it.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2012, 04:32:16 AM »

Recently heard the notorious "last" Velvet Underground album Squeeze for the first time - the one where Velvets manager Steve Sesnick put Doug Yule and Deep Purple's drummer Ian Paice into a studio, recorded a bunch of Yule's songs with no participation from any original Velvet still in the band (just Moe Tucker by that point), and released it as a successor to Loaded. 

It's primarily offensive because it's billed as a Velvets album. Had it been released as a Doug Yule album, it probably would have been quietly forgotten as a middling example of some slightly Grateful Dead/Poco/early James Taylor-influenced music. But a couple of the songs are probably on a par with the lesser (ie Yule-written) tracks on Loaded.

Actually, Yule didn't write any of the songs on LOADED - they're all Lou Reed's.

My mistake. Every time I hear "Who Loves The Sun" it's such a spectacular example of sunshine pop I keep forgetting Lou wrote it.

Yule did handle more lead vocals on LOADED than on the previous album with "Who Loves The Sun" being the best. Reed seemed to be making a conscious attempt to write a more commercial album than any of the previous Velvet releases; the songs are still quite strong, but I probably prefer some of the material recorded during this period that went unreleased at the time.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2012, 08:18:59 AM »

Scott Walker- Tilt-  No....just no.

One of the best albums ever.

I liked the idea more than the execution. I think that describes how I feel about Scott Walker in general, really.

Scott Walker has a new album coming out in a month, Bish Bosch. Two tracks from it are at Spotify. They're apparently the most "commercial" sounding things on the record, and they sure demonstrate that it's been quuiiite a while since Scott has had much to do with what almost any listener would think of as popular music.

It's been a long, strange trip from the days when he was working with Bruce Johnston on Sandy Nelson sessions. Or whooping it up on Shindig.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2012, 09:50:34 AM »

The guy was a very talented, diverse songwriter. And he knew how to write pop well from his days at Pickwick, and his previous doo-wop/pop recordings with Bob Shad.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2012, 10:12:32 AM »

I haven't heard 'Squeeze', but I'll just say that I love what Doug Yule brought to the band in its Lou Reed days. I don't like him as much as Cale, but he did a good job in finding his own place with the rest of the Velvets.. Plus, he's got a very, very sweet and tender voice. His vocal performance on things such as 'Candy Says' and 'New Age' is absolutely brilliant, if you ask me.

Too bad he's only remembered for being the guy who wrote a crappy album and released it under the name of Velvet Underground, even though he was the only original member left in the band (even though all of this is true, and, without a doubt, his own fault*)

*Has Doug ever openly spoke about why he did this? I'd like to hear his point of view.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 10:13:26 AM by Sail On, Brian » Logged
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2012, 01:53:54 PM »

I don't think Doug had much of a choice as the Velvets owed the label one more album and he was the only one left holding the bag.

Squeeze isn't bad at all if you can remove the stigma from the proceedings. The songs range from OK to quite good to nearly great, but the album is consistently pleasant to the ears. Doug has a great voice and is a great player, so in that: a crappy situation is elevated. If he'd only had Sterling and MO on the album, it would have a lot better of a reputation.

You can find the entire album over at youtube if you search around (Oh, and it has just been reissued on 180gram vinyl)

I love the Doug era Velvets. His voice/presence was a great foil for Lou's and they complemented each other greatly in the harmonies and his bass playing was always spot on.

The American Flyer album (Produced by George Martin) is also worth tracking down. It's a bit too middle-of-the-road but Doug's great on it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 12:12:32 PM by Erik H » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2012, 10:37:02 AM »

Apparently, in a boxset of Yule led VU live boots (yes, one exists!) he goes into a lot of detail about his tenure.

Should really listen to Squeeze, have always been curious.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2012, 11:09:30 AM »

Smiley Smile
"This is the worst album I ever heard!!!" -- or at least that's what I thought when I was ten, after saving up all my nickles and dimes to buy the album that had Good Vibrations on it.  What a let down. 

Now I love it...but I still remember the anger I felt.

Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2012, 07:44:40 AM »

Emerson, Lake & Palmers last two albums.

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2012, 01:47:21 AM »

Love Beach is probably the worst album I've ever heard by a band that I like.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2012, 09:26:56 AM »

Yeah, it makes Summer In Paradise look like a great piece of work!

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2012, 09:40:31 PM »

Plus at least with Summer In Paradise, all the principals were not present. On Love Beach, they were all there and mailed in a total piece of crap.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2012, 04:16:27 AM »

Plus at least with Summer In Paradise, all the principals were not present. On Love Beach, they were all there and mailed in a total piece of crap.

True. What were they thinking?!

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2012, 09:01:17 AM »

Thyere thinking they wanted to show their packages off to the world.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: November 15, 2012, 04:43:21 PM »

Worst albums of all time?

"Hitler Is Alive and Well (and Living in You)" by The Third World, from 1971.

Man, was that awful.

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 15, 2012, 05:47:07 PM »

That second Elastica album was pretty awful.....
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2012, 05:48:43 PM »

Anyone remember that Village People album where they tried to go "New Romantic"?

That was horrendous.

Their other albums weren't masterpieces but were pretty tight for what they were....
bluesno1fann
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2014, 12:34:00 AM »

Bit hard to figure out the worst albums ever, but will put in worst albums by artists I like:

The Beach Boys: Summer In Paradise
The Beatles: Let It Be (Yellow Submarine is bad too, but the few originals redeem the album)
The Rolling Stones: Either Black And Blue, Undercover or Steel Wheels
The Who: Who Are You
Pink Floyd: Ummagumma (Studio Album)
Lou Reed: Metal Machine Music
Led Zeppelin: Coda
Mike Love: Looking Back With Love

That's all I can think of. For now. And as to AGD: Full Circle by post-Morrison Doors one of the worst albums of all-time?! Them's Fightin' Words!
Seriously though, both Full Circle and Other Voices are brilliant, underrated albums. For the most part I agree with Jukka:

Other Voices and Full Circle are much better than their reputation has it. Sure , Manzarek ain't no Morrison when it comes to singing, and even less when it comes to lyrics, but the music very solid, occasionally even surpassing their Morrison-era achievements. Get Up and Dance is a lost party-anthem classic, and Peking King and New York Queen is a worthy heir to LA Woman in that same fast rock epic vein.

Seriously, so what if the two albums don't have Jim? Doesn't make them bad at all. They're still the Doors, especially with Manzarek taking over as leader. In fact, I recommend to everyone to check out the post-Morrison Doors albums. Be warned: Other Voices still sounds like a proper Doors album, but Full Circle doesn't. At all. Still excellent though, if you can get past all that!
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2014, 02:06:36 AM »

The Beatles: Let It Be (Yellow Submarine is bad too, but the few originals redeem the album)

They may be weaker by the band's usual standards, but in no way do they belong on any 'worst of all-time' list in my opinion.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2014, 03:08:29 AM »

They may be weaker by the band's usual standards, but in no way do they belong on any 'worst of all-time' list in my opinion.

I suppose you're right with at least the Beatles one and the Who one. But I noticed other people simply put the worst album of different artists, so I did it that way
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2014, 04:20:05 AM »

Van Halen III
  Summer in Paradise
  Metal Machine Music
  Sometime in New York City
  Having Fun with Elvis On Stage

Very bad albums by major bands/artists.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2014, 07:23:19 AM »

I love Ummagumma! I still have very fond memories of listening to it stoned as a teenager with friends.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx