gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:33:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: place for compiling any new information on a next BB album  (Read 49342 times)
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 11:01:03 AM »

They'll quickly dust off old left over material, redo a previous song or two from prior albums, do a cover or two and/or add a live version from the reunion concert to get something out soon because Capitol needs something "now" due to the fact that the group is "hot."

That will be met with public blase and disappointment, thus giving Brian time to work on a more fitting album with new material, great sounds and memorable harmonies.

Grin    Wink
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 11:03:50 AM »

yeah, that's Stowaway. Originally released on Dave's album "I Think About You Often".

Yes, thanks! i went to listen to the sample again on Amazon and it is a really really nice tune, cool melody and good instrumental, would love to hear a BB version of that.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 11:06:53 AM »

They'll quickly dust off old left over material, redo a previous song or two from prior albums, do a cover or two and/or add a live version from the reunion concert to get something out soon because Capitol needs something "now" due to the fact that the group is "hot."

That will be met with public blase and disappointment, thus giving Brian time to work on a more fitting album with new material, great sounds and memorable harmonies.

Grin    Wink

Muhahahaha! Posts like this makes me realize how much I love this messed up, wonderful band.
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 03:19:21 PM »

Walk on by would be such a great song for the new album!

thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2012, 04:02:02 PM »

Didn't Al have a versions of "Islands in the Sun" - not sure the exact title - the Harry Belafonte song?

Is that a possibility?
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2012, 08:11:33 AM »

Thank you for keeping this lonely thread going, though we are in the dark days of winter gloom with no real information about the BB plan. . . . . . .

Keep our ear to the ground and hope for hope of a new album. . . . . .

the Professor holds out hope for some news soon. . . . .music that transcends season, politics and alienation. . .
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2012, 10:55:44 AM »

Thank you for keeping this lonely thread going, though we are in the dark days of winter gloom with no real information about the BB plan. . . . . . .

Keep our ear to the ground and hope for hope of a new album. . . . . .

the Professor holds out hope for some news soon. . . . .music that transcends season, politics and alienation. . .

I hope you're right about us getting a new album professor, but I don't think it's in the cards. As much as I (and apparently Brian Wilson and Al Jardine) wanted it, The Beach Boys are not going to continue on like it used to be. They are pretty much un-reunited now. Maybe they will do it again, but honestly, I'm happy with what they've done, and anything else is just a cherry on top.

Plus.....we are getting a box set, which is gonna have a lot of great previously unreleased stuff. And likely some stuff from the "current" lineup. So there you go.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2012, 03:20:06 PM »

a sensible and kind message. . . . .perhaps that boxed set will have the songs we are discussing here--the left overs, for lack of a better term, from the TWGMTR sessions;  but you're right: we must cherish what we have.  I care so much for David; I hope he is fulfilled with all he did.

thank you sweetdude; I will continue to hope and to monitor and to look forward to whatever unfolds. . .
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2012, 04:18:41 PM »

there's also songs from "Unleash the love" (where "daybreak" came from) that could be finished and put on the next cd,"10,000 years" and "glow crecent glow" would make good editions.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2012, 10:58:01 PM »

10,000 Years has got to be released... it's a cowrite with Dennis!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2012, 08:57:26 AM »

one wonders what the difference would be in releasing these songs on a boxed set (they are done and waiting for post-production) and making a new album with them on it (the BB go back to the studio and actually make them into an album).

The latter requires "reunion," and the former does not, eh?

On the way to storm-ravaged Jersey to see family and help out with some shopping and clean up; they lost power, time, and work though not their homes. Will listen to BB on the plane, but it's getting old. . . . . receding into the past without the hope of more harmony. Watching those promotional videos and talk of perpetual harmony and unity is depressing.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2012, 08:50:44 PM »

Wasn't Brian supposedly working on an album based on The Little Prince? Whatever happened to that idea?
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2012, 03:25:09 PM »

10,000 Years has got to be released... it's a cowrite with Dennis!

Probably Dennis didn't mean for the track to be all about Maharishi! Maybe that's why he abandoned it).
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2012, 07:41:28 AM »

Where can I get Unleash The Love?? Inbox me Razz

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2012, 07:56:31 AM »

Wasn't Brian supposedly working on an album based on The Little Prince? Whatever happened to that idea?

Interesting idea. Where did this get mentioned?

Orson Welles was briefly obsessed with making a film out of it mixing live action with animation but couldn't get on with Disney, who wanted to be the only genius in the room.

Orson, I'm a genius too!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2012, 01:21:42 PM »

It was reported that his 2007 RFH commission would be based on The Little Prince at one stage.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2013, 11:51:34 AM »

The professor is just dusting off this thread and preparing it for any news we get this month about the BB and a new album.  I don't want to be caught like the brides with no oil in their lamps.  I am listening to David's Stowaway from "I think about you often," I am can't help but wonder if it will be on the album.  I wonder if the boxed set will have the 2012 band material on it, perhaps delaying, or at least changing the character of, the next BB album.

I really want to hear what "this 2012 band" can do. TWGMTR has lots of mixed stuff, from different studios, different authors, musicians--not a complete "reunited BB in the studios woodshedding" mode of creativity and composition. Who agrees and can explain it better than I?  In case I seem to be contradictory here, I would take new versions of Stowaway and Waves of Love, for example as legitimate "new recordings" if the reunited band re-imagines and re-creates them.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2013, 12:35:15 PM »

The professor is just dusting off this thread and preparing it for any news we get this month about the BB and a new album.  I don't want to be caught like the brides with no oil in their lamps.  I am listening to David's Stowaway from "I think about you often," I am can't help but wonder if it will be on the album.  I wonder if the boxed set will have the 2012 band material on it, perhaps delaying, or at least changing the character of, the next BB album.

I really want to hear what "this 2012 band" can do. TWGMTR has lots of mixed stuff, from different studios, different authors, musicians--not a complete "reunited BB in the studios woodshedding" mode of creativity and composition. Who agrees and can explain it better than I?  In case I seem to be contradictory here, I would take new versions of Stowaway and Waves of Love, for example as legitimate "new recordings" if the reunited band re-imagines and re-creates them.

Not quite sure what "The Professor" was expecting here with That's Why God Made the Radio.  You had all the surviving original members of the band record together for the first time in over a decade.  How was that *not* a reunion album?  With the exception of "Daybreak Over the Ocean", wasn't the bulk of the album newly-recorded material from the recording sessions?  What else do you want?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:36:56 PM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2013, 01:17:02 PM »

Agreed, Awesomman. I listen to it every day.  But look at the variety of band members and the different locations of recording. I want to see how this 50th -reunion orchestra itself could make an album with Brian "really" producing without JT. Al even admitted that they did not, unfortunately, stand around the mic and record as in the old days but were dropped in to do parts. We have been sold some myths about the creation and provenance of this album.

Why is Skunk Baxter on this album. Why are their so few composition credited to the BB as writers? Only one BB is credited with playing an instrument (and the liner notes have apparent lacunae).  Bruce calls it a punt, and I can't help feeling that we have a J. Thomas construction of a BB album rather than a fully "real" BB album, however artistic and thoughtful that final result may be, as I myself have noted.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2013, 02:35:13 PM »

Agreed, Awesomman. I listen to it every day.  But look at the variety of band members and the different locations of recording. I want to see how this 50th -reunion orchestra itself could make an album with Brian "really" producing without JT. Al even admitted that they did not, unfortunately, stand around the mic and record as in the old days but were dropped in to do parts. We have been sold some myths about the creation and provenance of this album.

Why is Skunk Baxter on this album. Why are their so few composition credited to the BB as writers? Only one BB is credited with playing an instrument (and the liner notes have apparent lacunae).  Bruce calls it a punt, and I can't help feeling that we have a J. Thomas construction of a BB album rather than a fully "real" BB album, however artistic and thoughtful that final result may be, as I myself have noted.

I hear what you are sayin' prof, but let's be honest here. You don't think Brian really "produced" the album? I admit I was skeptical about everything from Imagination to BWRG, but the facts are Rolling Stone magazine themselves said that Brian was running the show. Brian hasn't really been without a 'co-producer" since like SMiLE in '67. So it is what it is.

The thing about Skunk Baxter being on the album, and the relative lack of David Marks? Let's be honest....Dave was probably an afterthought on this project. He wasn't even on "Do It Again" at first, til for some reason, he was brought in. Chances are however, that Baxter did a lot of the work on the tracks early on before the rest of The Beach Boys were brought in. And Brian probably liked the feel and wanted to keep it that way. If they did another album, maybe Dave would be more prominent since he would be involved from the beginning, whereas he was probably brought in a little late on this one.

So few compositions credited to the guys from the group as writers? That one I don't get. Ever song on the album was written by a Beach Boy. Mostly Brian with help from someone outside of the group. Sound familiar? It should! Cuz it was done on a decent amount of their early hits, Pet Sounds, and SMiLE.

Only one Beach Boy playing an instrument? You do realize this is the group that hardly played on a bunch of their albums?

And lastly, about being a Joe Thomas construction, I just fail to agree. This was Brian's baby, as all the journalism around the album has proven.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2013, 03:01:25 PM »

I take the Prof's point though about how more authentic it might seem if the perceived main players were gathered together in the studio for vocal sessions instead of flying 'em in as and when. It's ice cream weather, get the gang back together an' all that!

“We live in divisive times.”
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2013, 03:51:26 PM »

The professor is just dusting off this thread and preparing it for any news we get this month about the BB and a new album.  I don't want to be caught like the brides with no oil in their lamps.  I am listening to David's Stowaway from "I think about you often," I am can't help but wonder if it will be on the album.  I wonder if the boxed set will have the 2012 band material on it, perhaps delaying, or at least changing the character of, the next BB album.

Given AGD's repeated comments, and the fact that he has a lot of sources within the organisation, I strongly suspect that there will be no next Beach Boys album.

I also think that it would be better for most of us to *think* there is no next Beach Boys album,  because that way we won't be disappointed if there isn't, but will be pleasantly surprised if there is.

Personally, in the unlikely event that there was a new album, I wouldn't want it to be especially collaborative. I'd want all or almost all the songs to be written by Brian, perhaps with Mike being allowed to write a small number of the lyrics. I'd want Al to have more lead vocals, and I'd want someone other than Joe Thomas being Brian's co-producer (possibly someone from Brian's band).

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2013, 05:49:22 PM »

Thank you St. Andrew, most noble of the apostles. I think I can put it this way, I would like to see what these 5 men as collaborative artists can come up with for  their own album.  TWG is not "that" album, however great it is. 

So no 1998 Imagination  leftovers; no JT; no hired guns. . . . .just the 50th anniversary orchestra in the studio. I want a Sunflower style experience. I don't want Dave to be an afterthought; I want Bruce on the bass or piano; Al on guitar; Brian playing something. I stop short of Mike on sax.  I don't care about other past precedents with the boys not making the tracks; rather I am wondering what these 5 men, as composers, writers, thinkers, performers, poets, friends, and brothers can produce together. We all have a visions, and that is mine; I will be quite content if a new album somewhat approximates this vision.

Best to all.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2013, 06:21:59 PM »

So no 1998 Imagination  leftovers; no JT; no hired guns. . . . .just the 50th anniversary orchestra in the studio. I want a Sunflower style experience. I don't want Dave to be an afterthought; I want Bruce on the bass or piano; Al on guitar; Brian playing something. I stop short of Mike on sax.  I don't care about other past precedents with the boys not making the tracks; rather I am wondering what these 5 men, as composers, writers, thinkers, performers, poets, friends, and brothers can produce together. We all have a visions, and that is mine; I will be quite content if a new album somewhat approximates this vision.

Best to all.

That album would take years to make. I don't know that they have all that time to spend on one project. Would it be worth it to sacrifice more Brian solo for one more true Beach Boys album, of possible varying quality? It very well could be, but something to think about.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2013, 10:50:47 PM »

I dunno.  It just seems like you're nitpicking at this point.  Why is Skunk Baxter credited on the album?  Who cares?  At no point did this impair my enjoyment of the album.  And regardless as to whether the group sang harmonies together or dropped them in individually, again, what difference does it make?  The vocals still sounded good.  I'll give you that Joe Thomas' production is a little on the glossy side; you could slide the album on the floor from one side of the room to the other. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx