gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:30:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live in Concert: 50th Anniversary DVD and Blu-ray.  (Read 68157 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 08, 2012, 07:26:38 AM »

No Surfer Girl?  No Surfin' USA?  Huh? did I miss something again?

Possibly those performances weren't as good. It makes sense anyway, though, to cut them off. We have more live versions of those songs available than we could ever possibly need, and they all sound more-or-less the same. If you're putting out an edited show, far better to leave those off but include stuff like All This Is That, which has never had an official live release before.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 08, 2012, 06:38:30 PM »

I get that, Andrew, but still, those are signature tunes (and they sounded great at the Las Vegas concert).  Glad they have the hot rod tunes, though.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 08, 2012, 09:56:19 PM »

If you're putting out an edited show, far better to leave those off but include stuff like All This Is That, which has never had an official live release before.

An, there's a point - wonder if release of ATIT on the 50th DVD scuppers the chances of the fyll Paramount show @ rehearsals on CD. Maybe not…

“We live in divisive times.”
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: December 22, 2012, 12:46:16 AM »

Finally got this in the mail and watched it today.  Here are some thoughts:

Positive:
- Cool little instrumental version of "Shut Down" that plays while the main menu is displayed
- If they HAD to limit the lineup to 21 songs, I'm glad they were able to include some lesser-known songs ("Marcella", "All This Is That", "Sail On Sailor", "Isn't It Time") and not have it be all hits.
- Brian's leads really add character to this shortened version of this show.  His leads don't sound that altered, maybe just sweetened a little bit.
- Fun shots of audience members enjoying the show.
- "Marcella" works really well for this release, as does "Rock And Roll Music" (I've always liked that song better live)
- A few minutes of the instrumental version of "Summer's Gone" plays over the closing credits...wish I could hear the whole thing!

Negative:
- Mike's leads are WAY too sanitized and clean-sounding, completely unnatural.  I went to 3 shows and he did not sound like this during any of them.
- Maybe it's all the audience recordings I've listened to over the years, but I'd really like to hear more audience ambient noise during the program, particularly in the beginning.  Part of the magic of a live show is people around us enjoying the music (without being obnoxious of course), and hearing the screams of recognition of a favorite, or the hearty appreciative applause for a lesser known gem...that's part of the magic of a concert.
- The far away shots of the audience show a bunch of people sitting in their seats for much of the first half of the show.  Would've been nice if a different show with a more lively audience was chosen.  
- Only ONE Al Jardine lead?Huh  And no Dave or Bruce leads.  One of the highlights of this tour was just how much Al's voice had held up over the years, would have been appropriate to showcase this on at least one more track selection ("California Saga" or "Then I Kissed Her" or "Cottonfields") if not more.
- No Carl or Dennis tributes!
- Of the 61 songs that were played during this tour, only 21 were chosen...OK that's unfortunate enough, but why pick "Hawaii"Huh  And why the entire car medley??

Other thoughts/notes:
- The opening shots of the crew setting up the venue are from the show in Indio, CA, in case anyone was wondering.  Great show, by the way!  Very mellow security at this venue, but a relaxed easygoing fun crowd.
- There should really be a live double CD released of this tour!  Maybe 50 Live Ones!!  Pick the best 50 songs from the tour and put 'em on a double CD!!!
- I'd pay money to own instrumental versions of "Summer's Gone" and several others off TWGMTR.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 12:48:28 AM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
G.C
« Reply #254 on: December 22, 2012, 01:09:57 PM »

I've ordered my copy over a month ago and I still haven't received it.  Angry
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: December 22, 2012, 02:17:08 PM »

- Maybe it's all the audience recordings I've listened to over the years, but I'd really like to hear more audience ambient noise during the program, particularly in the beginning.  Part of the magic of a live show is people around us enjoying the music (without being obnoxious of course), and hearing the screams of recognition of a favorite, or the hearty appreciative applause for a lesser known gem...that's part of the magic of a concert.
- The far away shots of the audience show a bunch of people sitting in their seats for much of the first half of the show.  Would've been nice if a different show with a more lively audience was chosen.

Enjoyed reading your thoughts! I agree that the show was mixed too dry; it does often sound almost as if it could have been recorded at a soundcheck or rehearsal without an audience. However, I still quite prefer this to many shows that are mixed with too much audience noise and general ambient noise. A good compromise between the two is of course preferable, but many live releases of bands in the past have sounded way too wet/echoey, too much audience noise (often with swells of cheers clearly mixed into specific points in songs), almost as if it was a really good audience recording. I don't need it to sound quite *that* authentic.  LOL

I did notice some kind of "dead" audience shots, but while many shows on the tour were captured on video, I think this venue was probably set up ahead of time as a venue for the BB's to do a pro shoot, so they kind of just had to hope it was a good audience. They often pick venues for video shoots based on how well the facility it set up to handle a video shoot.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Moz from Oz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 22, 2012, 10:07:52 PM »

I've had my copy for a month now and I agree with most of what has been said about it.  I'm still in the honeymoon period of watching it though. Without a doubt, one if my highlights is All This is That. Simply sublime. There's a shot of a couple standing, arm around each other just taking it all in almost in awe of what they're watching.And just like a Mike and Brian blend of years gone by, Mike and Al still have a special blend as well.
CJS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 23, 2012, 08:54:05 AM »

It makes me dizzy watching it due to the camera edits
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 23, 2012, 06:31:18 PM »

So many audience recordings out there.  Perhaps some enterprising entiity could pull it ALL together and make it available for a reasonable price.  I can be reached by that entity at anytime.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 27, 2012, 05:16:29 PM »

I received the blu-ray of this from my parents for Christmas and just watched it today. I have to say, it was very, very enjoyable and I now can not wait for the full concert tribute for 2013.

Yeah, the edits are a little much, the packaging is cheap, there is some sweetening of the vocals, and there are some songs missing we'd all expect, but it is still so awesome to watch and hear. I got a bit choked up during the SJB/WIBN/All This Is That stretch. The picture is very vivid and bright, love the colors and the instrumentation sounds great. I'm very thrilled they got it for me. I wasn't going to get it myself for some reason, but now I want what is coming out in 2013. I expect lavish packaging and great editing for that.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 27, 2012, 06:38:37 PM »

I received the blu-ray of this from my parents for Christmas and just watched it today. I have to say, it was very, very enjoyable and I now can not wait for the full concert tribute for 2013.

I got it for Christmas, too, and I'd say it's the best live footage of the band I've seen, frankly. Yes, it could be better, but it's still very good.

One thing, though, there won't be a 'full concert tribute' in 2013. The DVD that's being crowdfunded at the moment is going to be two hours long, made up of footage from multiple shows, and also include documentary stuff. I'd expect *at most* for it to have the same number of full live songs as this DVD, though with luck it'll have a different selection.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 27, 2012, 07:38:10 PM »

Oh, I see I misread it. Disregard that part then, I guess I'll wait until any reviews from people on here. Hopefully, it'll be good.

I'm happy with this, though.
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 28, 2012, 02:57:08 AM »

Bought it as one of my three-year old daughter's Christmas presents, since she is still talking about how much she enjoyed the show this summer.  Of course, my wife accused me of buying it for myself, but my daughter was happy to get it, and we had fun watching it.  Yes, I wish it had more songs, but what's there is wonderful.  Looking forward to seeing it again. 
G.C
« Reply #263 on: December 28, 2012, 08:30:14 AM »

Still waiting...  Roll Eyes 

Angry
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 28, 2012, 09:33:11 AM »

It's a good enough DVD, although it's sad to see that like 50% is missing. Also, to me, it doesn't really sound like a live concert. Some parts sound almost too perfect and the mix is maybe a bit too 'dry'. I enjoyed watching it though! Smiley
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 28, 2012, 11:54:22 PM »

Watched it again today.  It's pretty great, actually, despite the fact that it's way too short.  The sequence of songs from Heroes and Villains through Good Vibrations is especially fantastic, and a nice representation of the band's more artistic side.

Definitely get the version with the "Do It Again" bonus disk (if not all versions have the bonus--not sure about that).  It's pretty great in itself.  The black-and-white sequence of the "Good Vibrations" recording session alone is worth the price of the disk, especially Brian interacting with Hal Blaine in the studio...  just completely awesome, moving stuff.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 29, 2012, 03:47:55 AM »

Definitely get the version with the "Do It Again" bonus disk (if not all versions have the bonus--not sure about that). 

Annoyingly, the way it works is that the two DVDs are only available separately in the US, and only available together in Europe.

(I say annoyingly because I got the live DVD for Xmas from my American in-laws, and can't buy the Doin' It Again DVD on its own except as an incredibly expensive import. Luckily, I've got it saved from when it was broadcast...)

Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: January 08, 2013, 06:13:42 PM »

Gotta say, I've got my tail between my legs on this one. Initially disappointed with the 21 song only line up and only 3-4 rarities  I was a little dismayed, I've gotta say I really, really enjoyed this DVD - especially Marcella and Shut Down!

But only just over an hour in length - talk about cutting corners, I just hope the release the full RAH footage one day. Surely they could've put some bonus features on this DVD...

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 22, 2013, 01:26:07 AM »

Well look whats on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LASKdKMvpdY

I have not seen this yet and can't tonight so if you are quick. Shocked
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 01:31:48 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 22, 2013, 01:42:57 AM »

Meh. I'll buy it when it's reduced. Really doesn't sound like it has much to entertain me.

And there are so many audience recordings out there. Seems a lot of people...umm...accidentally hit "record" on various devices during Beach Boys gigs last year Smiley
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: January 22, 2013, 03:15:06 AM »

Meh. I'll buy it when it's reduced. Really doesn't sound like it has much to entertain me.

And there are so many audience recordings out there. Seems a lot of people...umm...accidentally hit "record" on various devices during Beach Boys gigs last year Smiley

You might be surprised. No, it's not a full show, but what there is on there is very, very good.

Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 23, 2013, 10:55:55 PM »

It's ok, but the mix is weird sometimes.  Obviously it's on my computer speakers, but it doesn't always have a live feel to it.  Seems to get better when the crowd is into it.  Little Deuce Autotune - yeesh.  So cool to hear the audience roar when Brian turns and smiles at them during H&V (27:56) even though you can't see his face, you can see his was smiling from behind.  Cool moment.  Overall, not bad, but way, way too short for what it really was.  They need to let people who missed this tour see the full concert(s). 
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: January 23, 2013, 11:04:01 PM »

It's pretty darn cheap now.  Twelve bucks gets you the DVD. 

While we all hope for something more complete to come our way (like maybe the Royal Albert Hall show?), this release is better than nothing.  The presentation sucks though.  Hell, I could have done a better job with the DVD menus...pretty sure they didn't even have any for this one.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: January 24, 2013, 03:53:17 AM »

Pro Shot - from JAPAN 2012?!

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&ei=CCABUcSlKM7J0AW72YHYDA&hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbeach%2Bboys%2Bchiba%2Bsoundboard%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26tbo%3Dd%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D643&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=ja&twu=1&u=http://pexp.net/main/syosai.php%3Fsyouhin_cd%3D10746&usg=ALkJrhhxaaJAf-mQNoqdstpG38kL1VQ-5g

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 24, 2013, 06:52:56 AM »

I'd guess it's a boot of the show that was broadcast on Japanese TV -- the same one whose audio has been circulating for a while.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx