gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:07:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This just in from Mike:  (Read 8015 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2012, 01:49:56 PM »

http://www.wacotrib.com/accesswaco/171374621.html

It's clear Mike's just hanging onto his end of what the Beach Boys are and will keep on keepin' on till the cows come home. All fair and well, I suppose. It's just a bit sad that the time for a reunited band to come back for good has gone. Maybe 15 years ago it would have become the new reality, but that was then... Too much water under the bridge..... It all makes sense in a way.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 01:55:32 PM »

They are doing Isn't It Time, it seems. Hmm.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:59:47 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »

Mike Love quote from the article:
“Bruce and I have been touring our band for the last 14 years. We’re pretty set on what we do,” he said. “We agreed to come together for this anniversary tour. It’s been exhausting . . . and that time is nearing the end.”

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SgtTimBob
Smiley Smile Associate

Music Maker Extrodonaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 01:59:29 PM »

“Christian sounds like Carl Wilson, who passed away 14 years ago. When you close your eyes, it sounds like 1965,” Love said.

Is this actually true? I haven't heard him, but I find it really hard to believe, haha.

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 02:04:13 PM »

You know what? He kinda does, especially on Kokomo.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 02:07:08 PM »

“Christian sounds like Carl Wilson, who passed away 14 years ago. When you close your eyes, it sounds like 1965,” Love said.

Is this actually true? I haven't heard him, but I find it really hard to believe, haha.

At times his voice is really reminding of Carl's. But he is by far not as great a singer as Carl.

http://www.wacotrib.com/accesswaco/171374621.html

It's clear Mike's just hanging onto his end of what the Beach Boys are and will keep on keepin' on till the cows come home. All fair and well, I suppose. It's just a bit sad that the time for a reunited band to come back for good has gone. Maybe 15 years ago it would have become the new reality, but that was then... Too much water under the bridge..... It all makes sense in a way.

How 'bout that?
“Here’s the beach. Here’s the girls. Here’s the cars. Here’s the schools,” he said

Grin

or this:

What Waco fans will get in the HOT Fair concert are Beach Boys hits, and plenty of them. Love runs through what seems a familiar set list: “We do ‘Surfin’ Safari,’ ‘Catch a Wave,’ ‘Surfer Girl,’ some cars songs, ‘409,’ ‘I Get Around,’ ‘Good Vibrations,’ some more subtle songs, ‘Barbara Ann’ and ‘Surfin’ U.S.A.’Oh, and ‘Kokomo,’ which was a No. 1 song for us in 1988.

Yes, definitely Mike's back in his element  Grin
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 02:11:17 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 02:47:55 PM »

I try to love Mike Love, but what a fucking douchecanoe. Seriously.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 02:55:03 PM »

He has a *very* similar voice -- but he's not anything like as good a singer (though that's partly because his phrasing is very post-1990s). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Qe0dZPJKo shows him singing God Only Knows with the Mike & Bruce band, and you can definitely hear the family resemblance.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 03:06:31 PM »

It works better in backing vocals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsZ5NSatN8A "Forever"

and of course he sings on Daybreak Over the Ocean on TWGMTR, Cool Head Warm Heart, Santa's Going to Kokomo.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 03:06:53 PM »

So uh, has Mike replaced Bruce as the most hated Beach Boy currently?

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 03:09:50 PM »

I try to love Mike Love, but what a f***ing douchecanoe. Seriously.

After the re-union (and being able to attend two shows), I just find hard not to love all of them, despite everything.

Doesn't mean recent events aren't a shame of course.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Waspinators
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it Clean with Al Jardine

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 03:10:22 PM »

Bottom line, if Mike doesn't wanna do it, he doesn't wanna do it. It was agreed that this was strictly a 50th anniversary reunion. That said, I wouldn't pay more than 20 bucks to catch a Mike and Bruce show after seeing the Boys together in May. But I see no reason why Brian, Al, Dave and Jeff shouldn't get their own gig going... Al and Dave should have no problems handling Mike's leads, and they could hire one of their wives to take over Bruce's clapping/mic adjusting duties. Now that I'd pay to see.
SgtTimBob
Smiley Smile Associate

Music Maker Extrodonaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 04:18:32 PM »

and they could hire one of their wives to take over Bruce's clapping/mic adjusting duties. Now that I'd pay to see.

Haha. Sorry but I just sprayed wine everywhere while reading that! It's so true... how often does Bruce adjust that damned mic... at least once every five seconds. Hahaha.

musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 04:21:26 PM »

and they could hire one of their wives to take over Bruce's clapping/mic adjusting duties. Now that I'd pay to see.

Compulsive Mic Disorder...it's a damn shame

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 04:21:37 PM »

He has a *very* similar voice -- but he's not anything like as good a singer (though that's partly because his phrasing is very post-1990s). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Qe0dZPJKo shows him singing God Only Knows with the Mike & Bruce band, and you can definitely hear the family resemblance.

i love how bruce just stares at mike for like 13 seconds after christian starts singing.

No mas, por favor.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 04:25:29 PM »

Mike Love quote from the article:
“Bruce and I have been touring our band for the last 14 years. We’re pretty set on what we do,” he said. “We agreed to come together for this anniversary tour. It’s been exhausting . . . and that time is nearing the end.”

It's been exhausting, therefore we will be going back out on the road to do even more shows........ WTF? Dude, if you don't like having to let Al sing "California Saga" or Brian sing "Marcella", if you don't want to pay for a huge backing band and throw Al some scraps from the tour proceeds, just say that then. Christian Love sounds kind of like Carl sometimes, and Christian's voice sounds good. What does this have to do with anything? Bobby Figueroa sounds good in Al's band, Scott Bennett sounds good in Brian's band, you guys all have good musicians and singers. But nobody is interested in hearing Christian Love more than hearing Brian Wilson, Al Jardine, and David Marks.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 04:27:27 PM »

i love how bruce just stares at mike for like 13 seconds after christian starts singing.

Although it would mean that Bruce would've even less spotlight I kinda think that Christian should take over the lead for GOK in Mike's band. He sounds really good. Thanks AndrewHickey for posting this. I had totally forgotten about it

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Gohi
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 04:42:40 PM »

I very much doubt that they're going to be doing Isn't it Time. I'm willing to bet that was just the writer getting ahead of themselves.
Oh, I don't know.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »

I very much doubt that they're going to be doing Isn't it Time. I'm willing to bet that was just the writer getting ahead of themselves.
Oh, I don't know.

Well, somebody has to promote the Beach Boys' new single.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 04:47:38 PM »

Oh, I don't know.

I guess since The Beach Boys can't promote it, instead The Beach Boys will have to. I hope The Beach Boys can properly replicate the recording that The Beach Boys made. Yep, how much more simple this could be in an alternate scenario.........

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 04:50:37 PM »

Oh, I don't know.

I guess since The Beach Boys can't promote it, instead The Beach Boys will have to. I hope The Beach Boys can properly replicate the recording that The Beach Boys made. Yep, how much more simple this could be in an alternate scenario.........

Reminds me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slMg5TnHIjY&feature=related

Grin

- Jack Rieley
Gohi
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 04:52:02 PM »

Guys stop being off topic. I'm talking about The Beach BOYS, not The BEACH Boys.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 05:00:15 PM »

Guys stop being off topic. I'm talking about The Beach BOYS, not The BEACH Boys.

Listen, I don't mind if John Stamos plays with The Beach Boys, but it's really distasteful when he shows up and plays with The Beach Boys. I know he did a song on one Beach Boys album, but that Beach Boys album wasn't by the Beach Boys, it was by the Beach Boys. And he wasn't even covering a Beach Boys song, he was just covering a Beach Boys song.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 05:52:07 PM »

The reunion tour’s end returns Love and Wilson to what they like best. “Cousin Brian loved the studio. I’ve always loved the stage,” he explained.

So Brian's returning to the studio, eh?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 06:00:25 PM »

Listen, I don't mind if John Stamos plays with The Beach Boys, but it's really distasteful when he shows up and plays with The Beach Boys. I know he did a song on one Beach Boys album, but that Beach Boys album wasn't by the Beach Boys, it was by the Beach Boys. And he wasn't even covering a Beach Boys song, he was just covering a Beach Boys song.

post of the century!!!!!!!  Grin
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx