gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 11:14:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New EP on iTunes featuring the single mix of "Isn't It Time" plus live tracks.  (Read 11551 times)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 02:42:52 PM »

The mixes of the live cuts are a little messy, but I'm glad we got these at least to tide us over for the potential live release of the whole show. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 02:46:08 PM »

Anyone notice the question mark that is now part of the title?

Ha, funny you pointed that out because now the question mark has been corrected out of the title.  Maybe the folks at Apple are watching us.  Shocked

Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 04:36:11 PM »

Nice.

California Girls is great.

Do It Again.. ha. Studio version vocals laid on top of the live track, smh. Haven't gotten to Sail on Sailor yet.. scared.

Sail On Sailor is the same version that's on the NPR concert (which was supposed to be from "Grand Prairie TX"), as well as the Front Row Center special. Do It Again also sounds suspiciously the same between the iTunes and NPR concert version, though I couldn't get them to stay in sync perfectly (not an easy thing to do, on-the-fly, with a streaming iTunes clip). Nonetheless, the lead vocal is identical.

I'm not surprised. Those vox are definitely pulled from the 2011 remake version & everything else has been overdubbed / tuned to death. Makes you wonder.. Was the actual tape of the performance THAT bad?? I find that hard to believe after seeing them perform & hearing all of the audience tapes. Ah whatever, I bought it anyway.

Btw, and I didn't mean for this to happen, but the single version of Isn't It Time has replaced the original for me already. I listened to the album version again the other day and it sounded very bare-bones, almost demo-ish to me.

I don't think SOS is from the NPR concert--listen to Brian's growl on the EP which was totally absent on the NPR version.  Was it overdubbed here?  Maybe, but then again this could just be a completely different recording as they suggest

I'm not sure what growl you're speaking of. Is it something beyond the 90 second sample that's linked above? As for that sample, and unless they've changed it in the last 48 hours on the iTunes page, Brian's vocal matches that section of both the NPR and FRC show.....exactly. Every inflection. Every note.  Smiley

Here's a quick MP3 of the entire NPR track that can be streamed or downloaded for comparison's sake:

http://lukpac.org/~dave/12%20-%20Sail%20On,%20Sailor.mp3

And...for an even better comparison, here's the exact same 90 second section of the NPR performance that's used as a sample on the iTunes page:

http://www.lukpac.org/~dave/12%20-%20Sail%20On,%20Sailor%20-%2090%20second%20sample.mp3
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 05:03:32 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2012, 05:01:34 PM »

Nice.

Do It Again.. ha. Studio version vocals laid on top of the live track, smh. Haven't gotten to Sail on Sailor yet.. scared.

Sail On Sailor is the same version that's on the NPR concert (which was supposed to be from "Grand Prairie TX"), as well as the Front Row Center special. Do It Again also sounds suspiciously the same between the iTunes and NPR concert version, though I couldn't get them to stay in sync perfectly (not an easy thing to do, on-the-fly, with a streaming iTunes clip). Nonetheless, the lead vocal is identical.

I'm not surprised. Those vox are definitely pulled from the 2011 remake version & everything else has been overdubbed / tuned to death. Makes you wonder.. Was the actual tape of the performance THAT bad?? I find that hard to believe after seeing them perform & hearing all of the audience tapes. Ah whatever, I bought it anyway.

Btw, and I didn't mean for this to happen, but the single version of Isn't It Time has replaced the original for me already. I listened to the album version again the other day and it sounded very bare-bones, almost demo-ish to me.

I don't think SOS is from the NPR concert--listen to Brian's growl on the EP which was totally absent on the NPR version.  Was it overdubbed here?  Maybe, but then again this could just be a completely different recording as they suggest

I'm not sure what growl you're speaking of. Is it something beyond the 30 second sample that's linked above? As for that sample, and unless they've changed it in the last 48 hours on the iTunes page, Brian's vocal matches that section of both the NPR and FRC show.....exactly. Every inflection. Every note.  Smiley

Here's a quick MP3 sample of the NPR that can be streamed or downloaded for comparison's sake:

"Damn the Thunder".  The growl on Damn.  He doesn't even say damn on the NPR show, it is Foskett or another band member.  Yeah, it is not on the sample, you have to download the entire song

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2012, 05:10:08 PM »

Nice.

I don't think SOS is from the NPR concert--listen to Brian's growl on the EP which was totally absent on the NPR version.  Was it overdubbed here?  Maybe, but then again this could just be a completely different recording as they suggest

I'm not sure what growl you're speaking of. Is it something beyond the 30 second sample that's linked above? As for that sample, and unless they've changed it in the last 48 hours on the iTunes page, Brian's vocal matches that section of both the NPR and FRC show.....exactly. Every inflection. Every note.  Smiley

Here's a quick MP3 sample of the NPR that can be streamed or downloaded for comparison's sake:

"Damn the Thunder".  The growl on Damn.  He doesn't even say damn on the NPR show, it is Foskett or another band member.  Yeah, it is not on the sample, you have to download the entire song

Is it possible that they just mixed that one section differently? That is, using Brian's "damn" instead of Foskett's? Or...even overdubbed, or flown-in from another performance, after the fact?

Because, as you can see, using the respective 90 second samples as comparisons, those sections are 100% identical. Anyone can compare using the new, 90 second sample of the NPR show I linked below. They sync up perfectly:

http://www.lukpac.org/~dave/12%20-%20Sail%20On,%20Sailor%20-%2090%20second%20sample.mp3
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 05:25:23 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2012, 05:11:42 PM »

Sure, I'm just sayin' "Damn the Thunder" is clearly different. How they got there I don't know
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 05:13:27 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2012, 05:16:55 PM »

Cool. I'm gonna lay out coin and actually purchase it at some point.   LOL  Smiley
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 05:56:42 PM »

I have to say, I've been listenng to "Sail On Sailor" and despite the processing, Brian still sings the hell out of it and I can't get enough of it.  One of the highlights of the tour in my opinion and I'm just glad to have a souvenir of it.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2012, 04:52:00 AM »

Ok, is this the single release? I'm still waiting for a physical single to buy. I thought they'd do it better after the single release of TWGMTR was so confusing, but I still don't get through all of this

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2012, 05:15:19 AM »

Bought the download. For DIA, all the live shows I went to, the band came out and started kicking into the song as Foskett introduced the individual BB's.....That is not in this "live" version of DIA
picassosson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2012, 12:23:35 PM »

Ugh. The album version is perfect, and would've been a much better single. It just FEELS right. Proof that BW works best when he has a deadline, and doesn't have the time to overlabor and second guess what he's doing. That's probably why the whole album came out so good.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2012, 12:30:16 PM »

Bought the download. For DIA, all the live shows I went to, the band came out and started kicking into the song as Foskett introduced the individual BB's.....That is not in this "live" version of DIA

Well, they could have easily just mixed Jeff's intro out on this track.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2012, 12:30:53 PM »

Yes, single is too sound-effected, but love Jeff being kicked off the bridge--worth the price of admission. Love Dave's guitar work on SOS and DIT; the EP is lots of fun (great on headphones at the gym working out) and continues the pleasure we have in the reunion.  I do not know if IIT is on the radio or if this is the "single release." No one seems to be noticing but us. Any Billboard activity?
adavidw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2012, 01:52:58 PM »

They didn't start doing that intro until later in the tour. I'm not sure when they started, but I can definitely testify that they didn't have Jeff announcing the into at the opener in Tucson.

I liked it much better that way. Nothing against Jeff, but I think it's a much more effective show opener to just start hitting that beat, then have everyone walk on and start playing. That's how you announce your presence. You don't need to tell anyone you're from Hawthorne California, or that these are your names. You're the freaking Beach Boys. There's no better way to say "Hey we're here and we're going to give you a great time tonight" than to just start singing.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2012, 04:29:48 PM »

2 cuts on 1964's Beach Boys Concert album are studio cuts with crowd overdubs....when you see footage of The Beatles playing Shea Stadium, half of the tracks were cut in the studio and synced to picture (or in the case of "Act Naturally" they just played the record and dubbed in crowd sounds....Kiss Alive was mostly done in the studio....

....it's just the way of the world.   
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2012, 02:01:51 AM »

I've listened to the new version of Isn't It Time several times now.  It definitely sounds better than the audio samples we heard earlier...  that's often the case.  I also like the intro, and the beefed up instrumentation on the chorus.  Also, it was a nice idea to have all the lead vocals handled by official BBs members. 

However, the rest of the changes not so good.  The original lyrics were better, the vocals sounded better without so many effects,  the new bridge is quite limp vocally and melodically, and the overall "modern" production touches mostly sound kinda fake, like they were desperately trying to make it into a hit single.  Still, I love the song in both incarnations, but definitely prefer the minimalistic, quirky original. 

I like the live cuts, beefed up or not, as as pointed out, they've been beefing up live recordings since 1964, so it's not exactly unusual.  I REALLY like the version of SOS, and second the opinions above that it's great to have a recording of it already.  And the other songs sound great too--Brian's band plus the BB's voices is a brilliant combo.  If they can make a 2.5 hour, double-CD live album from the reunion tour, I'm all over it. 
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2012, 10:24:56 AM »

I went over to iTunes to purchase the EP download and was presented with a notice that it wasn't available in my country (USA). Has anyone else had this problem?

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2012, 10:59:40 AM »

I went over to iTunes to purchase the EP download and was presented with a notice that it wasn't available in my country (USA). Has anyone else had this problem?

No, I downloaded it on October 2nd and had no problems at all.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2012, 11:35:42 AM »

I had a similar problem, it is not on Canadian Itunes either.   Grrrr.  Maybe tomorrow when the new stuff is released in North America we'll get the new EP too.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2012, 11:55:53 AM »

I know Amazon wasn't releasing it until tomorrow. Could iTunes have released it early and then caught their mistake and taken it down? 

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2012, 07:53:58 PM »

Emdeeh,

When I was comparing clips last week, I got the same notice when I went to the link that was posted here (i.e. the one with the 30 second samples). However, when I opened the iTunes program *directly* (i.e. the iTunes software already on my computer), went to the "Store" section and did a search on "Beach Boys Isn't It Time," it was still there for purchase....and with 90 second samples. So, give that a shot. That should work.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2012, 08:19:05 PM »

Dave, that worked -- thank you!

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2012, 09:02:39 PM »

I have to say, I've been listenng to "Sail On Sailor" and despite the processing, Brian still sings the hell out of it and I can't get enough of it.  One of the highlights of the tour in my opinion and I'm just glad to have a souvenir of it.

I'd disagree.  Out of all the singers on the stage, why'd they give the most soulful song to the guy who's just barely conscious?Huh  I mean, you've got Darian who can rip a new ass into "Darlin", but they give the song to Brian???   Fail!

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2012, 02:08:21 AM »

I'd disagree.  Out of all the singers on the stage, why'd they give the most soulful song to the guy who's just barely conscious?Huh  I mean, you've got Darian who can rip a new ass into "Darlin", but they give the song to Brian???   Fail!

Yeah! I mean, Brian's a braindead vegatable, right? He shouldn't be singing! Hey, aren't the rest of them REAAALLLLY old? You've got a guy up there who can sing their leads too, I bet.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2012, 02:12:29 AM »

Downloaded the 4-track "single" from iTunes but the title track skips. Maybe it's my iPhone…  Sad

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx