gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:03:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Hate Love Relationship  (Read 20063 times)
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 04:23:48 AM »

I am super thrilled that someone just used different cheeses to describe the individual Beach Boys. I would start an entire thread about it if not for the likely backlash.

Al Jardine is a nice goat cheese, possibly Humboldt Fog. Carl is a fresh buffalo mozzarella. Bruce is processed Kraft American cheese slices (yellow).

Dennis is tough! Any suggestions?
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 05:21:38 AM »

From Psychology Today.... (http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200105/love-connection)

RE: What has meditation done for you personally? What would you be like today if you hadn't made this discovery?

Mike Love: Without meditation, I'd probably be dead. It has allowed me to transcend all the bothersome things that happen during the course of a day, a week, a month, a career or a lifetime. I go beyond a certain level of thought. Some of those types of thoughts come from a stressed physiology. They appear in your mind as, "I want to kill that person" "I want to kick the dog" "I want to hurt my wife" "I want to emotionally abuse people."

......Do they, Mike?

Said this already: after reading that quote, "Wrinkles" seems like an entirely different song.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 07:20:07 AM »

I am super thrilled that someone just used different cheeses to describe the individual Beach Boys. I would start an entire thread about it if not for the likely backlash.

Al Jardine is a nice goat cheese, possibly Humboldt Fog. Carl is a fresh buffalo mozzarella. Bruce is processed Kraft American cheese slices (yellow).

Well… ever had yak's milk cheese?  Had some in Nepal donkey's years ago. Was like a giant's toenail clippings in texture and a tough bite, though the taste was good (we were told it was yak; suspect it might have been buffalo or dzopkyo).

“We live in divisive times.”
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, 10:01:08 AM »

Well… ever had yak's milk cheese?  Had some in Nepal donkey's years ago. Was like a giant's toenail clippings in texture and a tough bite, though the taste was good (we were told it was yak; suspect it might have been buffalo or dzopkyo).

Haha perfect. Thanks John  Cheesy
oldsurferdude
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2012, 11:00:35 AM »

What an insightful essay. I was aware of most of the information imparted but not all of it...and to see it presented in a way which perhaps explains why Mike is so defensive.

I never bought the idea that Mike Love was simply an unpleasant ass of a person. There are usually events, reasons behind people's attitudes. And yeah, just imagine if he didn't practice TM!

Mike *is* talented, and having seen the Boys at Wembley I can attest that he is an excellent front man. Yes, his act is pure cheese but it's engaging cheese...sort of a good slightly over-ripe cheddar to Brian's exotic unpasteurised Dorset blue vinny. But it works, at least it did for me.

Nope, Myke Luhv's act reeks of stale, moldy Limburger cheeze that was discarded, say, roughly 45 years ago. Or it could be s type of disgusting "frontman" blend with it's origins in so-cal.
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 01:29:54 PM »

Bob Dylan was heard saying, “I’m glad he didn’t mention me.”

And Elton John was heard even louder...
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2012, 01:30:28 AM »

Al going over to George Harrison & Ringo to apologise, only to be stopped with 'Nah, don't mention it, we love you guys' is the sweetest part of that iirc.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 01:46:35 AM »

The R&R Hall of Fame appearance was one of the most punk rock things ever! Brian, his usual self, loves to be praised and put on his best "oh gosh, gee!" humble act, soaking up the adulation like a pleased 3 year old.

But you know who didn't give a f***? Mike Love! He knows the R&R Hall of Fame is a sham. First of all, who cares about crap like a R&R Hall of Fame except nerds who buy albums like Pet Sounds? Secondly, we all know it's the biggest self-indulgent circle jerk around. Old rich as hell over the hill rockers gettin' together to celebrate their celebrity... please! Mike doesn't get off on that. He's happy when he sees a family enjoying a Beach Boys show. That's a true reward, not a lame trophy and applause from Bon Jovi's wife.

I'm glad he basically told everyone to shove it. The BBs are above garbage like that and Mike knew it all along.

mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2012, 04:17:35 AM »

Jon's analysis is great, as usual. 

Yes, I know that there are fanatically anti Mike Love people.  And yes, I know that they can be very annoying.  But unfortunately, there are also a lot of people on this board that, if you say anything vaguely negative about Mike, they accuse you of being "anti-Mike" a "Brianista," or start randomly attacking other band members.  Seeing that most people on this board realize that Mike is an important part of the Beach Boys, YET realize that he bears a fair bit of the blame for his public image, isn't all of the hysterical defending of Mike getting just as old as the hysterical attacking?  Save the hysterical defending for when you get a true Mike Love hater.  The rest of us want to discuss the band, and the fact that Mike can be a jackass at times is kind of hard to avoid.  But hey, the guy has written lyrics for many BBs songs, is very underrated as a singer (especially that bass voice), and is THE frontman for the BBs.  Acknowledging his importance shouldn't mean that we can't acknowledge that while there are understandable reasons why his public image is about as good as Axl Rose's, the man who has created this public image is primarily Mike Love himself.   
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2012, 06:25:56 AM »

Well said, Mabewa!!
The "anti-Mike Love" elements can be extremely annoying (sometimes its best that if you don't have anything good to say about someone, don't say anyhting); and the Brianista's seem to ignore the negative side of his history and share of the group's past problems (perhaps because his is a more sympathetic case).
Most (but not all) of this board does recognize your good characterization of the matter.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2012, 07:23:49 AM »

Things are rarely black & white.

Yes, on balance of probability Mike is a less pleasant person than Brian but neither man is perfect nor a total ass. It's nice to see a reasoned argument explaining why Mike is reviled and the background behind many of his more publicised litigation proceedings. If there really is a villain in the piece it is Murry...who probably had his own reasons for acting the way he did. His actions are more reprehensible than Mike's.
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2012, 01:26:11 PM »

Yea every fan tends to look at Mikes behavior and tend to annoy or be in denial of the other members behavior, Yea Mikes probably the worst, his reputation has been pretty much ruined, I think people forgot about his attitude while the 50th anniversary tour was going on. I think fans knew that him and Bruce were going to tour even after this, yet even the press said it, but when someone wrote Al, David and Brian (which I think set a lot of people) were "fired", then people began hating on him. Mike Love is really one of those people you just love to hate, and mostly cause of his reputation. And the others werent any angels either, but who isnt? yes Mikes attitude has caused so many people to hate him, but I think this time, he shouldn't be hated for this, I kind of think the fans are looking for some excuse as well as the press.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2012, 02:07:44 PM »

Some fans also refuse to acknowledge Brian's role in putting Mike in the position that he's in, by siding with Mike in the fight to be holder of the Beach Boys name touring rights.  If Brian regrets that now, he should have thought it through back when it was an issue, since he had firsthand knowledge of Mike's sometimes combative and stubborn nature.  The only person resembling a victim in all this is Al Jardine.  He's the one who lost a touring career and a large chunk out of his assets from paying legal fees (and he has less assets to begin with than either Brian or Mike).
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2012, 02:22:58 PM »

This whole situation is only aggravated by Mike Love's ability to actually throw fireballs when enraged, which puts the other Beach Boys at a distinct disadvantage.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2012, 02:23:16 PM »

If anyone's to be hated on at the moment, shouldn't it be Bruce???

I mean, if Bruce was to tell Mike something like "Sorry, Dr. Love, but I have enough money and this reunion tour was so great, I'd rather not sully the memory" and declined to tour: wouldn't this seriously affect Mike's motivation and ability to do so? It's hard enough to sell the Mike and Bruce show as "The Beach Boys" so how would a Mike and Mike and Mike show come off to bookers or even the least discerning neighborhood rollar-rink concert attendee.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 02:25:29 PM by Erik H » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2012, 03:18:22 PM »

I mean, if Bruce was to tell Mike something like "Sorry, Dr. Love, but I have enough money and this reunion tour was so great, I'd rather not sully the memory" and declined to tour: wouldn't this seriously affect Mike's motivation and ability to do so? It's hard enough to sell the Mike and Bruce show as "The Beach Boys" so how would a Mike and Mike and Mike show come off to bookers or even the least discerning neighborhood rollar-rink concert attendee.

Good point.

Although if anything, Bruce would earn less money than Mike from the reunion gigs - he's not a BRI member, yadda yadda. If finance is motivating them (it's one of Mikes gripes, as we know), it's a bigger motivation for Bruce.

However, Bruce has also said he would have watched the reunion from the fifth row. And he is the reigning SoCal Pistolwhipping champion, so what can we say? Some of his best performances have been in interviews, so it's hard to get a handle on what motivates him sometimes. Probably money. Simplest answer.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

relx
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2012, 03:28:52 PM »

I think that one of the reasons that Mike has such an negative public image also has to do with his treatment of the fans and other people who have encountered him off-stage. While I always read very positive things about people's interactions with Carl, and for the most part, Brian and Al, no one seems to have had any positive experiences with Mike (except attractive women!) From just reading this board, for example, it seems that most of the comments about people meeting Mike are that he was unfriendly or aloof. And this is from both casual fans and those who are more involved with the band. It is well documented that Mike's stage antics have long rubbed many the wrong way, and if you combine that with the fact that many people's one on one interactions have also been unpleasant, you are left with a man who does not engender much good will. Most of us were pleasantly surprised that he acted so well on the anniversary tour, as if bad behavior were the expected norm with Mike.

I also wonder if the media have had similar negative interactions with Mike, and if after he gives his canned answers about everything sounding like 1965, he is friendly towards members of the press off the record.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2012, 03:30:55 PM »

Isn't Bruce the richest of all of the principals since he has some kinda investments- or marriage-gained fortune in addition to his music, both with and without The Beach Boys?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2012, 03:33:50 PM »

Isn't Bruce the richest of all of the principals since he has some kinda investments- or marriage-gained fortune in addition to his music, both with and without The Beach Boys?

I imagine those Barry Manilow cheques help a lot, too.

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2012, 03:35:25 PM »

I wonder if he gets residuals for that song of if he just sold the song outright like a song hawker.
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2012, 04:05:39 PM »

I imagine those Barry Manilow cheques help a lot, too.
Yepp... Everytime Barry sings that song, Bruce is rolling around in the money, in his cheap house somewhere in Cali lol xD
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 05:05:23 PM by "Hibbity" » Logged
oldsurferdude
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2012, 05:53:25 PM »

Bruce is neither here nor there-equivalent of a non entity in the band. Performancewise, his attendance would not have mattered in the C50 tour and quite honestly, he's nothing more than a sideman in the Myke & Bruce band. In other words he's most likely disposable. If Myke can get along without Al(Really?) then Bruce is in deep ca ca.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 05:57:22 PM by oldsurferdude » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2012, 06:45:11 PM »

Bruce is neither here nor there-equivalent of a non entity in the band. Performancewise, his attendance would not have mattered in the C50 tour and quite honestly, he's nothing more than a sideman in the Myke & Bruce band. In other words he's most likely disposable. If Myke can get along without Al(Really?) then Bruce is in deep ca ca.

Except, Mike and Bruce enjoy each others' company.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
oldsurferdude
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2012, 07:22:40 PM »

Except, Mike and Bruce enjoy each others' company.
According to whom?
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2012, 07:37:37 PM »

I suspect Bruce kisses Mike's behind and Mike likes that.  Mike was the person who called Bruce and asked him if he could recommend someone to replace Glen Campbell, and Bruce just happened to volunteer himself after claiming the two people he thought of were not available.  So, Bruce may think fondly of Mike for that reason and think that he perpetually owes him something.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx