gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:36:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Hate Love Relationship  (Read 20064 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2012, 02:14:32 PM »

The following is an excerpt from the Beach Boys FAQ book. Thanks to Backbeat Books/Hal Leonard Group for permission to reprint.

With the current controversy surrounding the press driven myth that Mike Love has "fired" Brian Wilson, Alan Jardine and David Marks from the Beach Boys, and the public relations Harikari that the Endless Summer Continues press release has resulted in...I thought it appropriate to go back to my thoughts from the 2011 pre-reunion period and look at why Mike Love hating is an old fire that keeps getting new fuel.

The Fun of Hating Mike Love
By Jon Stebbins

For a singer and lyricist who has had more hits and more success than nearly any living figure from the golden era of rock, Mike Love gets very little respect from many critics, journalists, and from the
majority of Brian Wilson fans. Is it his fault, or is Mike a victim? The general perception of Mike Love as a bad guy might finally be changing a bit as of late. But he’s got a long way to go before he loses the tag of being one of the most reviled figures in show business.

The reasons for the negative perceptions of Mike are many. They are rooted in something that is inherent. His manner, his way, and his outward personality are things that worked very well for the Beach Boys, but also created a backlash for Mike. He developed a playfully smart-aleck stage persona that relied on a somewhat aloof body language countered by stage patter that was purposely silly but rarely funny. As if he were too cool to actually be serious. That semi-c*cky persona is one of the things that balanced Brian’s stage fright. When Brian kicked loose and felt comfortable, he actually was naturally funny and more engaging than Mike, but it was hit-and-miss. Sometimes Brian froze. Mike has never frozen on stage in his life. His stage character inhabits him the minute he steps in front of people. He grins, nods his head, points to someone in the crowd, and from that moment he’s both the frontman and the emcee. None of the Wilsons had the ability to take over the show on a nightly basis like Mike has for 50 years.

But a little bit of Mike goes a long way, and some tired of his act very quickly. Others couldn’t get enough, and still consider him the quintessential frontman. I can see both sides. Beginning in the mid-’60s, Mike started taking some hits from certain quarters about his stage moves, his balding head, and his nasal voice. As the British Invasion types with Liverpool accents, lots of long hair, and mod clothes became the rage, a stripe-shirted, jerk-dancing, follicly challenged Mike looked a bit behind the times. He became something of a joke to many rock fans. And it got worse from there.

In 1967, while Smile was melting down, Mike was named as the culprit who most questioned Brian’s recent creative direction and his approach to making records. Mike’s infamous “don’t f*** with the formula” comment may have been uttered in regard to Pet Sounds, but Smile is when Mike’s crap truly hit the fan. From that point he was looked upon with suspicion and derision from many Brian supporters. Slowly this perception of Mike leaked into the press, and into the minds of fans. Coupled with his stage demeanor, these new rumors of Mike being anti-Smile slowly worked their way through the chain of insiders, press, and casual fans. Mike was beginning to be viewed as the bad guy.

More negative stories about Mike surfaced. He was accused of slapping his wife Suzanne in public, making her wear certain clothes, disallowing her to wear others, and barring her from smoking even if she wanted to. During their divorce proceedings, she was accused of being unstable and promiscuous. Mike also pursued the full custody rights of their children. Again Mike’s image took serious blows, and again it only got worse.

We Gave Him Everything We Own Just to Sit at His Table

In the late 1960s, Mike threw himself into the study of Transcendental Meditation and the teachings of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. He traveled to Rishikesh, India along with the Beatles to study at the Maharishi’s mountain compound. When the Beatles had their fill and publically rejected the Maharishi, Mike went all in, convincing the Beach Boys to tour with the Maharishi as their intermission lecturer. The tour was a disaster. The Maharishi’s public image was in tatters following the Beatles debacle. With their tour partially riding on the allure of the Maharishi, he became a sudden pariah, and the Beach Boys and Mike were left holding the bag. Mike was seen in some quarters as a poseur, trying to be hip, but really just a square in a white robe.

As the Beach Boys’ popularity bottomed out in 1970, and their surf- and-hot-rod material was ridiculed by the acid generation, Mike updated his image, and to some he went too far. He was often seen in flowing robes, and even though the top of his head was relatively bald, he grew the rest as long as he could. He also grew out a Methuselah-esque beard, and looked similar to Robert Crumb’s underground comic character Mr. Natural. At one point Mike went off the deep end from fasting and/or drinking too much fruit juice. There was some kind of institutional intervention causing Mike to miss some Beach Boys concerts. More fuel was added to the fire of Mike’s detractors.

It’s a Gas Gas Gas

By the mid-’70s, the Beach Boys were on the comeback trail, and Mike was a revitalized frontman. He adapted a flamboyant stage persona, borrowing dashes of Mick Jagger but retaining the smartass California attitude. His mode of dress continued to show about as much restraint as a gay pimp’s. Truthfully he was a great entertainer during those days, and the Beach Boys’ live shows certainly benefited from Mike’s flashy ways. But at the same time he was also lobbying for a more retro sound and oldies-heavy song selection. In his mind, he was giving the fans what they wanted. Regardless of his intentions, it ended up hurting the band creatively, and also drove Mike further toward being the guy who was assigned blame for not being cool.

By the ’80s Mike’s battles with Dennis Wilson, on and off the stage, had taken their toll on both Beach Boys. Dennis had been the Beach Boy who took pleasure in standing up to Mike, with words and fists. He constantly needled and challenged Mike, while Mike demanded that Dennis put down the booze and drugs or get lost. Dennis got lost, completely, and died. From that time on there was no one to counter Mike’s strength in band politics. Despite Carl’s importance as a stage leader and as the “normal” Wilson brother, without Dennis around to physically enforce any anti-Mike sentiment, Mike pretty much had his way.
Mike pounded the ultimate nail into his own image coffin with his infamous Rock and Roll Hall of Fame acceptance speech in 1988. In front of an audience that included Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Mick Jagger, and a long list of other rock luminaries and press, Mike shared these words: “The Beach Boys have continued to do, about, we did about 180 performances last year. I’d like to see the Mop Tops match that! I’d like to see Mick Jagger get out on this stage and do “I Get Around” versus “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” any day now. And I’d like to see some people kick out the jams, and I challenge the Boss to get up on stage and jam.” As the other Beach Boys and the audience grew increasingly uncomfortable, Mike continued. “I wanna see Billy Joel, see if he can still tickle ivories, lemme see. I know Mick Jagger won’t be here tonight, he’s gonna have to stay in England. But I’d like to see us in the Coliseum and he at Wembley Stadium because he’s always been chickensh*t to get on stage with the Beach Boys.”

The room was shocked. Carl Wilson was visibly embarrassed. Bob Dylan was heard saying, “I’m glad he didn’t mention me.” The rock press designated Mike as “Mr. Sour Grapes.” No one could understand why, at the moment the Beach Boys were being honored for a career of making people happy, Mike decided to take potshots at his perceived rivals. It was a bizarre scene, and it had a devastating effect on Mike’s image. Those who were already suspicious of him had public confirmation that he was petty and conceited. For people who barely knew who Mike was, this was their introduction to him. From this point forward, the name Mike Love was ingrained into the general public’s mind as a controversial entity.

Sue City

Just as Mike’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame meltdown was fading from people’s minds, he launched a cascade of high-profile lawsuits. In 1992, Mike sued Brian to recover songwriting credits he had not been given for Beach Boys songs to which he’d contributed lyrics. Later that same year, Mike again sued Brian and the publishers of his autobiography for slander, libel, and defamation of character. Love was awarded millions of dollars and the restoration of more than 30 Beach Boys songwriting credits for the first suit. For his second suit, Mike agreed to an out-of-court settlement that consisted of a large cash payment of an undisclosed amount. Mike got the money, but he also got the bad press for initiating these suits against Brian, who was often described as defenseless and too mentally unstable to fight back. That, of course, was ridiculous. Brian could afford lawyers just as competent as Mike’s. And Mike did deserve the majority of those songwriting credits. Early on, Murry had purposely cut him out of the money loop by making empty promises that Mike would be taken care of later. Later didn’t come until Mike sued Brian.

David Marks spent his last ten dollars on parking to testify in Mike’s behalf, not because he hated Brian or thought Mike was a genius, but because he knew Mike had written lyrics to songs on the first four Beach Boys LPs for which he was not credited. That was the truth. Brian shouldn’t be blamed for this, because those credits were the last thing on his mind. Murry was the businessman. There was a pattern of Murry screwing the guys whose name was not Wilson. Mike was first on that list. Mike did contribute lyrics to a bunch of songs for which he wasn’t credited on albums that sold huge numbers. He tried to negotiate a settlement with Brian’s management and wasn’t taken seriously. Mike was incredibly lucky to have a cousin named Brian Wilson . . . but that doesn’t erase the fact that he should have been credited on the songs for which he wrote lyrics.

Mike’s defensive posture is easier to understand if you go back to 1962 and look at the way he, and any outsider (Gary Usher, Al Jardine, David Marks), were being systematically cut out of the Beach Boys pie by Murry, and in very underhanded ways. Murry was constantly pressuring Brian to not give Mike so many lead vocals, and to not to give him songwriting credits. Brian resisted the advice as best he could. But when it came to business, Murry usually got his way. That Mike would end up with a highly defensive, and even aggressive stance regarding Brian, and his place in the Beach Boys is an easy thing to understand. Instead of bending over and taking his screwing like Al did, or ejecting from the scene like David did, Mike hung in there and formulated an aggressive posture. He defended his ground and even invaded territory that wasn’t rightly his. He’s still doing it.

Mike is constantly calculating, and he’ll never stop. It’s got to be, because he’s convinced on some level that if he shuts it off, he’ll lose. Perhaps this is not something to admire. But it is understandable how Mike got there. There was friction and jealousy between he and the Wilsons from day one. Murry screwed him out of years of songwriting credits, and Mike probably took back more than he deserved. Regardless of whether he just took back what was rightfully his, or was overly greedy and took advantage of Brian, Mike was branded as one of the most litigious figures in show business. Mike’s reaction was to keep suing people. In the late ’90s, he sued Al Jardine for misuse of the Beach Boys name when Al tried to tour under the banner “Beach Boys Family and Friends.” Mike won. Then Mike sued Brian and a British newspaper for misusing the Beach Boys’ name and their image in a promotional CD that was included in the paper to promote Brian Wilson Presents Smile. Finally Mike’s winning streak came to end. The lawsuit was not only thrown out of court on the grounds that it was without merit, but Mike was also charged with being liable for Brian’s court costs.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 06:38:52 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 04:08:06 PM »

The following is an excerpt from the Beach Boys FAQ book. Thanks to Backbeat Books/Hal Leonard Group for permission to reprint.

Wait. You have to ask permission to reprint something you wrote? that's ALL wrong. 
next time ask me, and I'll get Mike to post it without asking...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 04:11:27 PM »

That is one of the most articulate posts I have ever read on the subject (no surprise) and I entirely agree.
Jason
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 04:43:48 PM »

This essay is one of, if not the best, explanations of Michael's behavior I've ever read. Of course, it won't win him any new fans, but hey.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 05:14:40 PM »

Beautiful stuff!
I've gotta pick this up!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
oldsurferdude
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 05:45:19 PM »

Poor poor pitiful Myke-always the victim. I wish my cousin had set me up like that. Is he unable, because of his ego, to show (just a little bit?) how greatful he should be?? Does he not realize that Brian is the goose who layed the golden egg? Anyway, Jon, incredibly well written account of the bizarre behavior of Myke Luhv.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 06:19:35 PM »

Does he not realize that Brian is the goose who layed the golden egg?

Well actually...

"Brian is the goose that laid the golden egg." - Mike Love in 1991

Grin

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 06:34:23 PM »

The upshot of Jon's piece isn't that Mike's behavior is bizarre. The upshot is that his behavior is understandable, if not always likable.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jason
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 06:43:54 PM »

The upshot of Jon's piece isn't that Mike's behavior is bizarre. The upshot is that his behavior is understandable, if not always likable.

Good luck pitching that one to the anti-Michael crowd...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 06:45:43 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 07:03:01 PM »

For those who have not read Jon Stebbins' book (it is available on Kindle too!), it is highly recommended - informative and nicely written.
With respect to the topic of this thread  (and the BB story in general) I've wondered about a couple of things that maybe Jon (or someone in the know) can provide some factual insight (warning: this is not meant to be a defense of anyone and not to be taken in that manner, just trying to get a better understanding of a very complicated [which it is although some others here see it as black and white] inter-relationship of an otherwise great musical group):
 - I believe I've read/heard that the Beach Boys (probably BRI) funded the cost of Landy's treatment of Brian (both times). Is that understanding correct? If so, it had to cost hundred's of thousands of dollars - to Mike and the others. (Note: yes, the seed of that revenue came primarily from Brian as writer/composer/producer that the others should/were thankful for; but at the same time the others were the ones doing the work touring etc.). Seems to me this is an element that is overlooked in the historical context of understanding the interplay of these guys. Also, if done was it done out of true concern for a family member/relative/friend or, cynical view, to "fix the golden goose"?
 - Query how some of us might have acted or felt in a situation where you are a member of a successful group (business?) and a few (2?) members start to act out of control, doing drugs, acting irresponsibly etc., jeopardizing the continued success of the business and your livelihood? Could that explain in part Mike's actions to "take control" of the group - before it self destructed?  Being in the middle of all this  - might it have been frustrating to him? Should he just have sat on the side and done nothing? (Note: I agree that all the actions by Mike as noted in Jon's excerpt above certainly did not help his image and there's no excuse for his R & R rant).
 - As a "family", did these guys try to address issues medical, business etc., in a family manner instead of getting professional assistance (ie. "we can figure it out and don't need any outside assistance")? Did they have good PR representation  when they really needed it; and, did/would they have listened?

The story of this group is extremely complex and  IMO not black and white as some look at it. Plus, interesting as all heck.  Everyone seems to have their share of contributing to the problems and issues that have beset them, no one is innocent (perhaps Carl the least to blame  IMO) and everyone also being a victim to an extent (and in some cases doing something about it)  at some point as well.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 09:55:36 PM »

In Leaf's book (which I know many of you have your issues with...) isn't there a line about Mike that was uttered by one of the long-suffering BB employees: "Imagine if he didn't meditate??"  3D

Despite all of it (and kudos to Jon for "walking the line" in terms of poking into one of the band's hoariest "open secrets"), Mike is really, truly a gifted singer, particularly when he decides to push himself a bit. There's a reason why Brian still wants to work with his cousin: he's actually pretty damned good if you figure out a way to live with what comes with that...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 10:52:47 PM »

Mike is truly gifted. I said that before the reunion, and I'll say it now. But his gifts are almost entirely in the presentation department -- he can add little verbal hooks to songs. He can sing a nifty lead. He knows his stage patter. His bass vocals are irresistible. The thing is, that presentation really needs the central content provided (mostly) by Brian. With that core, Mike shines. And Brian knows it. And true fans know it.

Think about it this way ... how many of Brian's outside productions hit big? How many of his solo albums have really struck a nerve with the buying public? Like it or not, he needs something or someone else to give his beautiful music commercial force. That's part of what makes Brian the fragile genius.

But Mike knows this all too. It's why he tours so hard. He knows that he can't retire to his home and create an astonishing body of new songs. He could record a lot of tunes, sure, but he doesn't need to. He doesn't have the urge to create. That's not his gift or talent or natural inclination. He has the urge to present. And that's why he'll be out on the road in a couple of days. He needs it, and he needs it to an extent that it confuses his less driven bandmates.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 10:53:40 PM by Wirestone » Logged
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 10:56:20 PM »

...and Brian's behavior, of course, has always been impeccable. Brian's faultless life serves as an exemplary model that makes one wonder how Mike could fail to notice and emulate. Shame on Mike for being a big fat lazy mental case.

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
MBE
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 10:57:09 PM »

At least most of us here realize that there isn't anybody who gets off spotless, nor anyone who should be seen as evil.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 11:30:24 PM »

Mike and Brian made a great team. And not just the surf stuff - the Wild Honey album is full of great Wilson/Love tunes.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
MBE
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 11:39:19 PM »

Mike and Brian made a great team. And not just the surf stuff - the Wild Honey album is full of great Wilson/Love tunes.
Right on! They were always better together.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 11:58:49 PM »

Shut up. Mike only wrote about surfing and cars, Wild Honey didn't happen and if it did, those were surely all Brian's lyrics.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 12:04:28 AM »

Not entirely accurate. Mike was always better with Brian (you could count the number of important songs Mike wrote without Brian on the fingers of one hand), but Brian wasn't always better with Mike - he produced loads of terrfific stuff without him too.
MBE
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 12:19:21 AM »

Not entirely accurate. Mike was always better with Brian (you could count the number of important songs Mike wrote without Brian on the fingers of one hand), but Brian wasn't always better with Mike - he produced loads of terrfific stuff without him too.
Strictly as a songwriter that's valid. Mike has only done maybe a half dozen really great songs without Brian. I disagree if you mean any sort of participation. Even if it was at times only as a singer, Mike was part of 90 percent of Brian's best work. The only things I think Brian did outside the classic Beach Boys records from 1961-72 that was as good was a fair number of his 1962-73 produtions, but even then Mike helped on Sharon Marie. Mike's performance and input always mattered.
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 12:24:52 AM »

Probably the best Mike Love/Brian Wilson song is Do it Again, well to me anyway lol
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 01:06:15 AM »

What an insightful essay. I was aware of most of the information imparted but not all of it...and to see it presented in a way which perhaps explains why Mike is so defensive.

I never bought the idea that Mike Love was simply an unpleasant ass of a person. There are usually events, reasons behind people's attitudes. And yeah, just imagine if he didn't practice TM!

Mike *is* talented, and having seen the Boys at Wembley I can attest that he is an excellent front man. Yes, his act is pure cheese but it's engaging cheese...sort of a good slightly over-ripe cheddar to Brian's exotic unpasteurised Dorset blue vinny. But it works, at least it did for me.

MBE
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 01:28:40 AM »

All who haven't should get Jon's Beach Boys FAQ book asap. It's one of the few I can say jibes with my viewpoint almost completely. Excellent and fun reading!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 02:24:40 AM »

Great stuff, Mr Stebbins. I have a lot of respect for you being open about Mike deserving the writing credits, and for "telling it like it is" regarding Murry screwing everybody who was an "outsider". The Dennis part was a very interesting point, regarding him being the one to stand up to Mike, and the part about Carl losing his support regarding "creative differences" with Mike. I hadn't really given that much thought, but it makes a lot of sense.  Smiley

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 03:36:05 AM »

Thank you for posting this, Jon.
Regarding the "imagine if he didn't meditate" quote, Mike himself says so regularly. He acknowledges, even today, that he'd be irritated or violent if he didn't. To me, he comes accross as an honest guy, if probably hard to deal with when you disagree.

I think he took the heat to a degree most of us would not stand. And he is a sinner, like his bandmates. And like us.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 04:02:14 AM »

From Psychology Today.... (http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200105/love-connection)

RE: What has meditation done for you personally? What would you be like today if you hadn't made this discovery?

Mike Love: Without meditation, I'd probably be dead. It has allowed me to transcend all the bothersome things that happen during the course of a day, a week, a month, a career or a lifetime. I go beyond a certain level of thought. Some of those types of thoughts come from a stressed physiology. They appear in your mind as, "I want to kill that person" "I want to kick the dog" "I want to hurt my wife" "I want to emotionally abuse people."

......Do they, Mike?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 04:05:17 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx