gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:40:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 74: (?) The Legacy Concert for the Children, The Santaluz Club, 9/30  (Read 19404 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2012, 09:03:39 AM »

Awful.

I know a lot of people on here defend Mike's band but IMO they are terrible. Even the vocals suck

That's a very poor performance, yes. But it's far from a typical one. I've seen Mike's band five times, and since he got rid of Baker in 2004, and especially since he got rid of Kowalski as well, they've sounded superb. I suspect that it's due to Love, Totten, Cowsill, Johnston and Bonhomme all being jetlagged, Bonhomme, Kirsch and Christian Love not having played those songs in six months, and the members who've been with the reunion tour being used to playing them with different musicians.

Seeing Mike's band live is obviously no substitute for the real thing, but they're generally very, very good.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2012, 09:22:11 AM »

Seeing Mike's band live is obviously no substitute for the real thing, but they're generally very, very good.

I agree. Obviously, no matter how you feel about Mike & Bruce's musical merit, we'll all choose the 5 Beach Boys Reunion Band anytime.

That being said, I could appreciate some of the "Fun, Fun, Fun" video posted above. The stripped, almost garage band-like feel was truer to the original record, and it even echoed the 60's band that included Carl, Dennis, and David.

It's interesting how so many people are putting down the Mike & Bruce performance in comparison to the Reunion Tour performance. My personal recollection of "Fun, Fun, Fun" this past summer in Bethlehem, PA had David's under-amplified guitar drounded out by the other 10 or so musicians, Al's playing couldn't be heard at all but I guess he sang "you shouldn't of lied, you shouldn't of lied" OK, and Brian stood in the front of the stage with a Fender bass strapped on, hands dangling at his side, not playing at all, and midway through the song, attempting to flee the stage, only to be cut off/intercepted by a waiting Jeff Foskett. Other than that, I guess it was a good version.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2012, 10:06:24 AM »

Yuck, Scott's guitar tone... Other than that I thought it was fine. That just doesn't sound like a Beach Boys guitar.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2012, 10:10:03 AM »

I think Scott was jjust compensating for The Stamos Presence.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2012, 10:14:50 AM »

The Stamos Presence.... LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2012, 10:17:05 AM »

Great band name

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2012, 10:18:08 AM »

The Stamos Presence.... LOL

A little penicillin will clear that right up.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2012, 01:56:23 PM »

I wonder how Totten and Cowsill feel now after they played some big shows with Brian's guys and songs that they'll certainly never will play at Mike&Bruce's shows. Not saying they don't like their gig with Mike (otherwise they would just quit) but from a musician's point of view the Beach Boys tour was much more demanding musically. Plus you had the f*cking Beach Boys there.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2012, 02:47:50 PM »

I wonder how Totten and Cowsill feel now after they played some big shows with Brian's guys and songs that they'll certainly never will play at Mike&Bruce's shows. Not saying they don't like their gig with Mike (otherwise they would just quit) but from a musician's point of view the Beach Boys tour was much more demanding musically. Plus you had the f*cking Beach Boys there.

I thought about that too.  Mike and his guys are like athletes, they push through regardless of the situation.  I'd imagine John and Scott are taking Mike's lead and not mulling over the summer but rather simply focusing on the present.  They play their tunes and they move on to the next town.  Some nights are better than others....they're there to do what they were paid to do and for a few of them (at least Mike)...theyve fulfilled their duty to entertain and bring joy to the masses 

I'm sure the thought "Hey, this is so weird!" had crossed their mind when they played their first note together but I'm sure they'll shake it off and play on....
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2012, 02:55:43 PM »

Of all of this, I may be saddest at John Cowsill not backing Brian or whatever Brian/Al/David decide to do. I mean damn, that guy is fucking awesome.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2012, 03:05:54 PM »

Real talk - dude hit the drums like they'd slept with Mike Love.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2012, 03:25:35 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2012, 03:26:52 PM »

I was actually thinking that too, it's gotta be pretty underwhelming for Scott Totten who just spent months working as musical director for such a big and lavish tour, selling out arenas and prestigious concert halls and now he's back doing something so insignificant as this.  And yet they're calling themselves the same band (in name, I mean).  And how long was it between the Wembley show and this?  I mean, that's just got to feel strange.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2012, 03:41:29 PM »

I wonder how the other M&B band members feel about being called back into service now that the real deal shows, for which they were overlooked, have ended?

Will there be rifts between those who were "real BBs" for the summer and those who just play the hayrides?

Will members of either faction need counselling somewhere down the line?

Did Mike pay the Unselected a retainer over the summer to assure their services from September 30?

Are Cowsill and Totten considering offers from BW or Al's Endless Summer Beach Boys Family and Friends?

If BW starts studio work on the nex BBs album while M&B are on the road, will JC and ST respond to any call for studio work and leave their stage places vacant, and M&B having to fill in with Kawolski and Baker?

So many questions…

“We live in divisive times.”
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2012, 05:20:35 PM »

M&B shows have never had as much coverage on this board -or the blueboard for that matter. Good for them.

But please stay together, guys. For fifteen years we thought it was Mike who was desperate to get together with Brian and now look at them.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2012, 04:03:47 AM »

As far as "songs that they certainly never will play", the bulk of the reunion tour was essentially the same set that Mike & Bruce's band play in theatre venues. On this tour the songs I'd not seen Mike & Bruce's band do live are Marcella, The Little Girl I Once Knew, the three songs from the new album, This Whole World, Pet Sounds, Add Some Music, California Saga, Our Prayer and I Just Wasn't Made For These Times (and three of those I didn't see on this tour either -- many of them were only in for a small number of shows). Songs I've seen them play live that they didn't play on this tour include Good Timin', Good To My Baby, Warmth Of The Sun, You Still Believe In Me, Here Today, Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring, Cool Head Warm Heart, Til I Die, Everyone's In Love With You -- so it's not as if they're suddenly saying "never again will we play a song that isn't about surfing!"

The forty-five-song or so shorter sets on the reunion tour were pretty close to identical to the shows they do normally -- the shows I saw in Italy, for example, only had This Whole World and California Saga as songs that aren't Mike & Bruce regulars.

And it may well be that they see playing a Mike & Bruce show as *more* demanding musically than a reunion show. Certainly for Cowsill he doesn't get the occasional break from drumming that he got on the reunion shows where Mike D'Amico took over, and he has to sing a lot of leads while drumming.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2012, 05:44:24 AM »

As far as "songs that they certainly never will play", the bulk of the reunion tour was essentially the same set that Mike & Bruce's band play in theatre venues. On this tour the songs I'd not seen Mike & Bruce's band do live are Marcella, The Little Girl I Once Knew, the three songs from the new album, This Whole World, Pet Sounds, Add Some Music, California Saga, Our Prayer and I Just Wasn't Made For These Times (and three of those I didn't see on this tour either -- many of them were only in for a small number of shows). Songs I've seen them play live that they didn't play on this tour include Good Timin', Good To My Baby, Warmth Of The Sun, You Still Believe In Me, Here Today, Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring, Cool Head Warm Heart, Til I Die, Everyone's In Love With You -- so it's not as if they're suddenly saying "never again will we play a song that isn't about surfing!"

The forty-five-song or so shorter sets on the reunion tour were pretty close to identical to the shows they do normally -- the shows I saw in Italy, for example, only had This Whole World and California Saga as songs that aren't Mike & Bruce regulars.

And it may well be that they see playing a Mike & Bruce show as *more* demanding musically than a reunion show. Certainly for Cowsill he doesn't get the occasional break from drumming that he got on the reunion shows where Mike D'Amico took over, and he has to sing a lot of leads while drumming.
Not to be nitpicky, but they did play "Good Timin'" during this tour.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2012, 05:55:00 AM »

It might not be considered a break, but when Stamos is with them, Cowsill can do a lead without multitasking.  Cowsill really works hard.  I've seen others occasionally cover the drums, Dennis Diken, Mark Shulman...but usually one song.  And, he is an excellent singer.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2012, 06:22:45 AM »

I wasn't trying to get to the "surfing"-thing. I just am talking about stuff like "This whole world" "Marcella" "Add some music", etc. Mike & Bruce do a few "rarities" and stuff that is more interesting to work on from a musician's point than "Barbara Ann". But mostly they have their repertoire - including the rarities. What I mean is Brian's unpredictability, like when he said he wants to do "Add some music" or "Marcella" the next day. Just things he throws out without thinking about a program they have down. I think (and that's of course just my opinion) this is much more interesting and demanding than to go with a defined set from which you choose. That plus playing the big shows with the Beach Boys could be something a talented guy like Totten could see more fun in. I just wondered about that. For everyone it must've been a highlight to play with the Beach Boys and maybe what they're going back to now just doesn't seem as exciting to them.
It's a little different for Brian's band because they get some big gigs now and then (Live Aid, Glastonbury, etc.)

BTW iirc Mike & Bruce did play "The little girl I once knew"

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2012, 07:28:45 AM »

Not to be nitpicky, but they did play "Good Timin'" during this tour.

You're quite right, I even saw them do it twice, in Italy. This is what happens when I post ill Wink

Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2012, 10:13:43 AM »

I just watched this video. It makes me sad. I'm not sad because it's a bad performance. In fact, it's a pretty energetic performance and I think they sound good. But I'm still sad. Sad because just a few days before this, these guys were on stage with Al, David and Brian wrapping up one of the greatest tours in pop music history.  It's such an amazingly stark contrast between these shows under a week apart. I really hope they get the reunion lineup back together at some point. And soon, because let's face it, they're getting pretty old.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2012, 10:33:11 AM »

Did they play anything from the new album?
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2012, 10:44:20 AM »

jeez.....i never thought i would miss what we were given this summer so soon....wish i hadn't watched that video.. Sad

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2012, 11:05:20 AM »

Did they play anything from the new album?

No. I'd guess they will after they had a proper rehearsal. Remember that except for Cowsill and Totten no one ever played the new tunes before.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx