gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 10:12:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 74: (?) The Legacy Concert for the Children, The Santaluz Club, 9/30  (Read 19427 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2012, 04:54:24 PM »

Here it is in all it's glory...

Mike, Bruce and John Stamos

http://vimeo.com/50584304

Hm, if they played "Summer's gone" afterwards?  Evil

LOL....

Seriously, I'm really not trying to just pile on. But that video just makes me sad. It's not to disparage anybody on that stage. That didn't sound or look like the Beach Boys, and objectively, that smaller band just doesn't sound as powerful as what we saw this summer. What we saw this summer was the Beach Boys, both visually and sonically. I know, these are all obvious, self-evident things that don't even need to be said.

Please Mike (and the rest of the guys), put it back together again for a little while longer.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2012, 04:56:10 PM »

Thanks for the video.  And just like that...we're back to how it used to be without even missing a beat.  Kinda surreal!

That I will agree with, very surreal! That's one of the words I was thinking when watching this. Aside from what should happen, just objectively this is a slightly weird, surreal thing happening.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2012, 04:57:12 PM »

It's not a fun video to watch but that's life.  There's a time and a place for everything and the band had their wonderful time together all summer long.  Mike is movng on for now and we'll get over it. They'll get together at some point and it'll be great all over again. 
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2012, 05:02:08 PM »

"Love's version included his cousin Bruce Johnston"

Great reporting to go along with a great guest appearance.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2012, 05:04:53 PM »

These songs sound so hollow with M&B band instead of the full group.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2012, 05:10:01 PM »

Awful.

I know a lot of people on here defend Mike's band but IMO they are terrible. Even the vocals suck

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2012, 05:10:16 PM »

I like how he put a copyright notice on the video. Snicker.

Historical "Cousin Brucie" Johnston.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 05:17:09 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2012, 05:13:17 PM »

I'm kinda gonna miss Cowsill's playing though. Damn he is an awesome drummer.
Jason
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2012, 05:20:58 PM »

Cowsill drums for Michael and Bruce...you know that, right?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2012, 05:22:42 PM »

I think he meant he's gonna miss him in the sense he's not going to the shows.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2012, 05:23:23 PM »

Thanks for the video.  And just like that...we're back to how it used to be without even missing a beat.  Kinda surreal!

That I will agree with, very surreal! That's one of the words I was thinking when watching this. Aside from what should happen, just objectively this is a slightly weird, surreal thing happening.

I am a BIG fan of the M&B Band , BUT yeah totally agree with what you say
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2012, 05:26:56 PM »

Thanks for the posting of the video. Reminded me of why people here dislike John Stamos so much...

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2012, 05:30:06 PM »

LOL....

Seriously, I'm really not trying to just pile on. But that video just makes me sad. It's not to disparage anybody on that stage. That didn't sound or look like the Beach Boys, and objectively, that smaller band just doesn't sound as powerful as what we saw this summer. What we saw this summer was the Beach Boys, both visually and sonically. I know, these are all obvious, self-evident things that don't even need to be said.

Please Mike (and the rest of the guys), put it back together again for a little while longer.

Me bets (and I really don't know) that there will be a new album early next year / summer and a choice tour of some 20 US dates in 2013 - What odds would I get on that ?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2012, 05:36:41 PM »

I think he meant he's gonna miss him in the sense he's not going to the shows.

I may go to a M&B show if the price is right though. So you never know. But you're right, I know who he drums for. I just mean after all these months seeing youtube performances and hearing his style... I am gonna miss it.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2012, 05:37:45 PM »

LOL....

Me bets (and I really don't know) that there will be a new album early next year / summer and a choice tour of some 20 US dates in 2013 - What odds would I get on that ?

The second part seems mildly likely. The first part? I'd really doubt Brian can pull an album together that fast, unless Capitol really really wants one.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2012, 05:47:36 PM »

I wouldn't call that terrible. Hell, if I hadn't seen a reunion show, I would've called that pretty damn good. As it is, it sounded like a good Beach Boys cover band with a horrible sound system. Don't know one could say the vocals suck...Mike sounded the same (if not as powerful) and Scott sounded good... and that's all I could hear. Everyone else was inaudible vocally.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2012, 05:48:22 PM »

LADIES & GENTLEMEN, THE BEACH BOYS!!!!!

Bruce scares me in this picture...

Yah, I see that; he's got that Liberace/Wayne Newton/  look  down pat

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2012, 05:49:32 PM »

LOL....

The second part seems mildly likely. The first part? I'd really doubt Brian can pull an album together that fast, unless Capitol really really wants one.

Well I think the BB's stock with Capitol (soon Universal) is probably quite high after the success of TWGMTR and the future G Hits Comp etc , and the fact that there are a number of tracks already in the can (possibly better tracks that didn't fit the ilk of TWGMTR) for the proposed 'Rock and Roll' album so who knows ? - Seriously I can personally see it as there appears to be too much still left in this band  
sundiegojc
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2012, 07:55:52 PM »

I was lucky enough to be at the show, which was a fund raising event for the Hospital Infantil De Las Californias, a free hospital located in Tijuana, Baja California.

This is an annual charity auction fundraiser event (last year's performer was Kenny Loggins), set in a positively gorgeous gated community resort setting in the Northern portion of San Diego County. This may be the beginning of the golf resort tour, a logical extension of their old MLB shows

The participants (not Mike Love) ante'd up a million plus in auction payments & donations to the hospital.
It was a very upscale, older crowd (avg. age probably 60) of boomers who generally didn't know that this was a different band than the 50th anniversary grouping.

Having seen the 50th tour in San Diego a few months previously (and the original group in the 60's), I must agree that this ain't the Beach Boys!

That being said they generated some fun and pleasant moments once the crowd became engaged, but....
The band sounded ragged at best, with bare-bones arrangements and vocals that sometimes made the beer-besotted boomers singing along sound like vocal doubling.
The band's vocals ebbed and flowed like the tide during the nearly two hour set, coming together for some out-of-the-ordinary tunes such as Getcha Back and Still Cruisin', but generally sounding like a bunch of guys that had not been performing or singing together for months.

Mike's vocals were sometimes weak and buried in the mix, but other times seemed to rise up in the mix, but he definitely has a softer timbre these days (though he seemed stronger just a couple of months ago with Brian, Al, & David).

Some odds n' ends thoughts...

The event participants were each given a commemorative blanket with the Beach Boys and Hospital logos embroidered  together. I happened to be sitting in the upper courtyard bar are when Mike and Bruce arrived, dutifully carrying their new blankets. That made me giggle.

Bruce came out before the show to visit with local (septuagenarian) friends at the table next to ours in the bar courtyard. Very down to earth

Mike's daughter, Ahmba Love, a local high school student (Mike lives in nearby Fairbanks Ranch, close to the Santaluz estates) is a competent vocalist in the Wendy Wilson mode, and did a creditable job on Darlin' and Sail On Sailor. I do wish they had let John Cowsill sing the former - he really nails that one.

Christian Love did a journeyman's job as usual.

John Stamos is a predictable feature of the Mike and Bruce shows. I don't resent him - He's like Mike's car songs patter...part of the show.

Bruce is a semi-audible presence most of the time, but I still get a kick out of hearing him perform a signature vocal part like the tag of God Only Knows or California Girls.

A final thought - The other couple that we joined for this charity event started out disappointed that it was not the true 50th anniversary group with Brian, Al, and Mike, but as we sat under a full moon listening to Cal Girls, Sloop John B, & Then I Kissed Her, the music had won them over.

I could relate - I've felt the same way since 1962.

Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2012, 01:57:07 AM »

Interesting to read that review and I guess after they've had the chance to rehearse a little the band should be back up to speed. I would be a little surprised if they didn't add TWGMTR to the setlist at some point as it must be fairly well known right now.
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2012, 02:33:44 AM »

I thought Mike Love lives in Lake Tahoe?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2012, 02:43:24 AM »

rich people have more than one house.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2012, 02:43:42 AM »

I thought Mike Love lives in Lake Tahoe?

Either he has a) two or more houses befitting his obscenely large bank account or b), befitting the several ex-wives and crippling legal fees, he is actually homeless and the rumoured 'benefits' of small venues that these dirty minded people jump to conclusions about are actually that small venue owners are more willing to put him up for the night after a gig, before he goes and eats a dollar breakfast at the local diner and hitchhikes to the next venue at the break of dawn. For 14 years, he has begged Bruce for a ride in the tourbus (even the luggage compartment would do), but Bruce equates that to 'a handout' and has repeatedly told him to work harder.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 02:45:15 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2012, 03:34:32 AM »

Has Bruce even changed his shirt since Wembley?

Gig looks good though… they do the business.

“We live in divisive times.”
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2012, 05:04:47 AM »

It's not a fun video to watch but that's life.  There's a time and a place for everything and the band had their wonderful time together all summer long

Justin, no!! Just no!

Wink

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx