gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:27:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which beach boys song give you goosebumps every time you hear it?  (Read 10777 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2012, 07:09:15 PM »

Every time I hear the outro of "I'm so young" and "Please let me wonder" it gives me goosebumps..it's amazing how those songs have that effect on me.
petzounds
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 07:21:10 PM »

Don t Worry Baby
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 08:04:56 PM »

SHIT FROM A DOG'S ASS

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 08:08:58 PM »

The wordless harmonies in At My Window & beautiful "He caaaame to myyyy wi-indoow" group singing. In general, the whole song is splendid & gives me feeling of happiness every time I hear it, full stop.

That! also Our Prayer is somehow always a special moment for me.

I agree with petzounds for Don't Worry Baby, there's just something touching about that melody that seriously got me obsessed at some point, the only BB song so far i dared to cover..

'Til I Die, All This Is That & Surf's Up are the one that had the biggest impact and emotional effect on me upon first listen, that i mean in general, not just as BB songs.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 08:20:47 PM »

the opening bars of Warmth Of The Sun.

every freaking time.
mathen_
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 08:23:47 PM »

I lot of songs give me chills when listening to, but the most special one for me it's a song properly (though the whole song also affects me deeply), but the "child is father of the man" ending of Surf's Up. Man, that's from another universe, dimension, I don't know. That's just not human.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 08:25:58 PM »

but the "child is father of the man" ending of Surf's Up. Man, that's from another universe, dimension, I don't know. That's just not human.

Yeah, when i start to rethink "IS Surf's Up the best Beach Boys song?", i listen to it again, and i'm falling in love all over again.. and that part has something to do with it, it's beautiful.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 08:31:06 PM »

Well, you certainly dialed a "zero" with that one, RDZ!! Perhaps the operator can connect you to the ASPCA, Smiley Smile board division...  Undecided

So many to choose from: Brian's "listen to my HEART....beat" line in "Don't Talk". The backing harmonies in "The Warmth of the Sun." The "baby believe" backing vox in Dennis' "Slip On Through." The way Al delivers the "I guess I gotta way with girls" line in "Honkin' Down the Highway." Carl just raking that lead vocal in "Wild Honey." Mike's incredible performance in "All I Wanna Do" (Sunflower, not 20/20). The totality of "Cabinessence." That cranked to the edge of distortion high fiddle that nails the tag in "Mess of Help to Stand Alone."

And those are just some of the more or less obscure ones, not even mentioning all the incandescent moments in the rest of the BB's canon that gets played in the concerts. So many great moments there, of course, but so many more scattered liberally across so many "deep cuts."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 08:51:50 PM »

Well, you certainly dialed a "zero" with that one, RDZ!! Perhaps the operator can connect you to the ASPCA, Smiley Smile board division...  Undecided

Can't. Stop. Laughing.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 09:13:36 PM »

Listening to Til I Die and Surf's Up together the way it closes the album just has me in awe every time.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 10:10:55 PM »

Skatetown USA.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 11:17:46 PM »

The Trader - second verse, everytime.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 12:07:51 AM »

Agree re Trader - when those backing vocals kick in - wow! Also, the fades to A Day In The Life... and Celebrate The News - they really get the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end! Lady - all of it. Brian's She Knows Me Too Well vocal. And - and i'm sure not everyone is going to agree with me on this - Where I Belong - those harmonies just really do it for me, every time.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 12:21:40 AM »

My relationship with listening to the Beach Boys is any track can jump out at me at any specific moment. I don't have a specific song that always hits me the same way. It's always something new.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 02:37:50 AM »

No-Go Showboat and Surf's Up. Representing two main sides of the band, both pure perfection.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 06:09:26 AM »

Oh and i've forgotten, the end of All This Is That with Carl's falsetto, that is just one of the most beautiful Beach Boys moments imo.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 07:09:49 AM »

Key change in Girls on the Beach

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 07:14:20 AM »

Skatetown USA.

Smart Girls!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 08:15:54 AM »

Chortling/choking at the idea of "goosebumps" for this one--more like a bad case of hives.

But it does dredge up the burning question...when that Made in CA boxset comes out, will it have "Is Jack Reiley Really Superman?" on it??
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 08:18:01 AM »

Chortling/choking at the idea of "goosebumps" for this one--more like a bad case of hives.

But it does dredge up the burning question...when that Made in CA boxset comes out, will it have "Is Jack Reiley Really Superman?" on it??

No lie, I need to hear this song.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 08:33:14 AM »

Oh and i've forgotten, the end of All This Is That with Carl's falsetto, that is just one of the most beautiful Beach Boys moments imo.

I have to agree, and then that going into Cuddle Up - WOW! When the vocals kick in after the quiet section near the end, I stop whatever I'm doing.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 08:42:13 AM »

I have to agree, and then that going into Cuddle Up - WOW! When the vocals kick in after the quiet section near the end, I stop whatever I'm doing.

Hahaha yes, so true!
Reddiwhip
Smiley Smile Associate

Pop those buttons right off of my shirt

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 08:47:47 AM »

The bridge in Add Some Music moving into the "When day is over, I close my tired eyes, music is in my soul."

"Big Sur?"  "Nope, big mama!"  "HAHAHAHA.  What the hell does that mean?"

While at port adieu or die
SunBurn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 11:02:25 AM »

Pretty much everything to do with "Don't Talk" on the Pet Sounds Sessions set: particularly the piano demo, the isolated strings and the unused backing vocals.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 11:35:37 AM »

I have to agree.
This "Jai guru dev" segment is better than the same on "Across The Universe". The melody of it is more beautiful & I prefer Carl than John as a better singer.

Got to say i rather think they slightly fumbled the All This Is That fade. The way Carl's vocal is at first upfront and then suddenly it jumps into the background, awkwardly rather than smoothly, it always bugs me. His singing is perfect, but not the production.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx