gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:25:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alan Boyd Lecture  (Read 41588 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2012, 03:19:08 PM »

Hmmm... Haven't seen this posted here ( and I did search for it) 
  From the Pet Sounds list: 

>>PSML friends,

I would like to take the opportunity to invite any interested peeps in the
Bloomington, Indy, L-ville, Cincy areas to attend a lecture on Monday October, 1
@ 12:15 in Sweeney Hall (M015) of the Simon Building @ Indiana University in
Bloomington featuring Mr. Alan Boyd.

Alan, as you should know, has been the curator of the BB archives, the director
of the Endless Harmony film, co-producer of the Hawthorne, Ca. set and the Smile
reissue. He is a talented musician in his own right, having toured with Adam
Marsland's Chaos Band's brilliant "The Songs of Dennis and Carl Wilson" tour and
putting out his own LP "Channel Surfing" that contains many fine BB/BW inspired
tracks.

Most of you probably saw the press release a month or so ago regarding the
semester long Beach Boy class at IU's Jacob School of Musics'  "History of Rock
'N' Roll" department. The class, taught by my friend Associate Professor Andy
Hollinden, has been a huge success so far especially with all the "50th" hubub.
I am proud to have played a behind the scenes part in helping Andy develop the
class by providing materials from my archives and facilitating Alan's
appearance. Andy is encouraging any fans who would like to check out Alan's
lecture and participate in the question and answer period to "come on down".
Most likely, some of us fanatics will meet afterwards at a bar for lunch, etc.
No need to RSVP or anything like that, but if you care to contact me personally
for any other info, please do so.

Hope to see some of you soon,

Jeff Green  AKA Cal Muse
Bloomington, IN. <<   

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 10:18:16 PM »

Good to see Alan is feeling better!

If it runs amuck, call the duck
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 06:39:07 AM »

Seconded, and I hope the full text of the lecture (perhaps with discussion included) will reach these hallowed shores eventually.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 08:09:38 AM »

Seconded, and I hope the full text of the lecture (perhaps with discussion included) will reach these hallowed shores eventually.

And the audio portions. Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 08:10:40 AM »

And the audio portions. Grin

Oh, another Vigotone release on the horizon then?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 10:31:25 AM »

I'm going.   Smiley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 04:21:55 PM »

I'm going.   Smiley

Take your recorder, then!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 12:00:53 PM »

I'll be there! B-town is close to home, looking forward to it. I will be taking notes and will post them when I get the chance. Hope to meet some local fans. I don't wanna be too fanboy-esc but I really feel like bringing something for Alan to sign, Hawthorne CA or Endless Harmony or one of the pieces from the Smile Boxset. Would he be annoyed if I asked him for his autograph? Hope we get to listen to some "new" items along the way. Also, with my birthday being on Oct. 5th, it seems like this will be a great present!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 03:18:36 PM »

Yeah, get him to sign your Smile LP!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 08:10:15 PM »

Ask him about the "Child is Father of the Man" acetate, dammit! W,W,W,W,W, & H.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 03:12:37 PM »

I've been thinkin about what to ask him. So many things to ask but I dont want to look like a tool or go too far as status quo is concerned. Anyone wanna throw some questions out there?

Should I have him sign the LP that i have opened? or I have one in the wrap unopened too...which one?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 03:13:29 PM »

I've been thinkin about what to ask him. So many things to ask but I dont want to look like a tool or go too far as status quo is concerned. Anyone wanna throw some questions out there?

Should I have him sign the LP that i have opened? or I have one in the wrap unopened too...which one?
I can't promise that I'll ask your question, especially if there's a lot of folks who respond, but I'll think about it.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 05:46:55 PM »

The opened one - signatures don't really come out that well on shrink. Have fun!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 01:45:56 PM »

The opened one - signatures don't really come out that well on shrink. Have fun!
Thanks!
So who all is comin?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 06:18:03 PM »

Seriously, folks, anyone going please try to tape it. As long as Alan is comfortable with that. There are very few people with the full package of skills needed to wade through the many minefields laid down by the BB's long and winding career, and we've all been lucky that he has devoted so much of his time to patiently, relentlessly lobbying for the type of release program that has done so much to open up our eyes and ears. Anything he has to say, particularly in a classroom setting, is 1000% worth recording for posterity.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 02:56:43 PM »

Seriously, folks, anyone going please try to tape it. As long as Alan is comfortable with that. There are very few people with the full package of skills needed to wade through the many minefields laid down by the BB's long and winding career, and we've all been lucky that he has devoted so much of his time to patiently, relentlessly lobbying for the type of release program that has done so much to open up our eyes and ears. Anything he has to say, particularly in a classroom setting, is 1000% worth recording for posterity.
I have no recording equipment. Used to have a cassette recorder, have no idea where that is. But I will be typing/taking notes.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 02:58:38 PM »

I'm also creating a card for Mr. Boyd. It's a collage I've been working on, collaging is my specialty. It's going to be a thank you card from us on the Smiley board, unless anyone objects to it. It's a collage of pics from virtually most every realm of Beach Boys era.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 11:22:16 AM »

I'm also creating a card for Mr. Boyd. It's a collage I've been working on, collaging is my specialty. It's going to be a thank you card from us on the Smiley board, unless anyone objects to it. It's a collage of pics from virtually most every realm of Beach Boys era.
That's a very smart idea! I'm certain there are no objections from any of Smiley Smilers. Hope, you'll enjoy the lecture, punkinhead! If possible, be ready for sharing something with us! 
Thanks, I hope to take pictures of the card before I give it to him, but I know it's gonna be hard to part with. I already have the cover done and I want it for myself.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 11:33:21 AM »

You should you post the collage up for everyone here to see. I know I for one would love to see it.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 11:38:04 AM »

I most certainly will. I'm working on the inside cover, it's as big as a file folder. I prolly won't get done until the end of the week though.

And honestly, it'd be great to generate some opinions and if some really like it, you could check out my girlfriend's and I Etsy site (Paper Plethora), where you could specially order something just like it. A collage on a card or posterboard or bookmark. We'll take orders with specific ideas/pictures/themes.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 05:28:48 PM »

Just got back from the lecture and meet up a few hours ago and it was fantastic!
There's 120 students in the class. It lasted a little over two hours. The class recently viewed Beautiful Dreamer. They're using Catch A Wave as the main book to read, which is a great read and ironically something I read during my college days. And today just happen to be the lecture on SMiLE, how awesome is that? We watched the GV/Smile segment of Alan's Endless Harmony doc. He played the class snippets of H&V and a lot of vegetables and sections of cabinessence. There were a lot of great questions raised by the students and not just us fanboys who came along to hear Alan speak. I asked about the "reconnect the telephone lines" lyrics for cabinessence and asked if they were ever found, but they were not. A student asked about Barnyard, just wanted to know everything about it. Alan replied that it was to be about this character 'Barnyard Billy' that loved his chicken and it was to be part of H&V. Then when he went to re-edit H&V for a single in 67, he changed it to the 'in the cantina' section that we all know and love. Jeff Green brought in some great Smile artifacts, I know there were pictures taken by Randy Hutchinson and he'll be using them for Endless Summer Quarterly, I believe. Jeff brought things from BWPS autographed to TSS, TSS 2-disc set, the vigotone (what I was told) cd set, 2 or 3 original Smile boots on vinyl (which was great to see, hadn't seen em in person before). Alan Boyd was in great spirits and really funny, his BW impression is spot on. Those who met up (about 5-6 of us) went to a local bar and talked for about 2-3 hours. It was a great time and a great early birthday present to myself.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »

Thanks much for the update, Punkinhead. You can count on the fingers of one hand the number of people who know as much about the BB's as Alan does...and that includes the BB's themselves! Glad it was so rewarding!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2012, 03:56:50 PM »

Here's my original notes which I re-edited myself to make more sense for everyone else reading, I'm sure there's things I may have repeated earlier, I just wanted to include it all at once and I'm sure there's things you already know, I'm just reporting what happened:

Started with 10 minutes footage of Smile from Endless Harmony

There are 120 students enrolled in class. The class has viewed Beautiful Dreamer. The class is reading Catch a Wave by Peter Ames Carlin.

When Brian was feeling good about BWPS, he wasn’t even talking out of the side of his mouth when he performed Smile in 2004.

75 reels of material of BB Smile material were found, 16 reels of those were for Good vibrations. This was the hardest project Alan has ever worked on. 

Missing pieces:  folks years ago had stolen.  Capitol was acting like it was easy to put together (TSS).   One reason why it didn’t come out was there was nothing to edit it all together.  Brian had made some edits to smile but they were clunky.  No technological way to edit it together.  The songs were changing the songs on a daily basis. H&V Part 2 (4 or 5 things labeled part 2).  Smile was a time where Brian went over the edge and never came back, Mike felt that he lost his friend and cousin.  2 years of speed and pot use didn’t help his concentration.  Alan think’s Brian likes the mix, not much feedback from Brian…he had a lot of faith in Alan and Mark L.  If they had the ability to release Smile, they wouldn’t have released Smiley Smile (obviously). Acetates and test edits of putting H&V and Vegetables together found in the vaults. Dennis Wolf from Capitol, asking to fade the songs and “those songs are really weird.”  Marketing for Nov in 2011 was more sensible.

He PLAYED: pieces of Cabinessence, existed on some mix tapes instrumental beginning, Who Ran the Iron Horse vocals included. straight into instrumental Grand Coolie Dam, into Over and Over the Crow Cries with vocals. MISSING – Multi-track, add vocals, dub those down, add more vocals. No more isolated lead vocal.  pieced together with Pro-tools. Early 1970s- Warner gave them advance money, with giving Smile released. Steve Desper was the engineer then Steve Moffitt. 

PLAYED: Vegetables- early take from TSS. (“On the Air!”) ending with laughter.  2 lead vocals at once
Number 6- Brian tryin to work out vegetables.
The BB kept their own tapes.
Insert 4 take 1…piano chord bop-bop

PLAYED: Veggies track- all put together 6 or 7 different segments put together
You’re Welcome is the only track not to have to be worked on.

Anyone involved in pop music in LA, in the past 20 years has a Smile bootleg
Technology in 1992 wasn’t able to do the box set from GV box Set.
Todd Rundgren put out the idea of putting all of it out and just putting their own mixes together.
Barnyard was intended for H&V. Discusses the demo of H&V/I;m in Great Shape/Barnyard
Barnyard Billy was to be part of I’m in Great Shape in H&V. In the Cantina replaces Barnyard.
Speaking with VDP: the Americana, Manafest Destiny, what whiteman did to the plains.
Alan would ask VDP: Over and Over. Why didn’t he answer Mike’s question?
A couple of newer pieces Smile have came up since the release of TSS.
Hardest track to put together: H&V (possibly), Vegetables (hardest to edit), Cabinessense was pain too.
No idea how the Cabinessence Telephone alternative lyrics would work.
Let Him Run Wild- Brian’s very sensitive about vocals.
In 71, couldn’t hit Colluminated Ruins Domino, but Carl could hit those vocals.
After 68, Carl would finish Brian’s work.
Tapes Conditions are in pretty good condition. Tapes from 60s are in great shape (70s/80s are not).
Took vocals from Fall Breaks to Mrs. Oleary’s Cow, fit perfectly.
Look vocals from Surf’s Up (71).

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2012, 04:03:05 PM »

Alan also played the class his tribute to Carl Wilson which was shown at the CW walk before (I think) and at the Roxy theater. It's quite the tribute and has sorta outtake interviews from EH and some great snippets of vocals only mixes of Carl vocals, here's the notes I took during that:

Before you read this, I just wrote down who was talking and what song was being played.
Carl tribute video, shown at the Carl Walk: Cant wait too long vocals, started with European video in hotel from 68, The Trader vocals, Good Vibrations in Knebworth, GOK Live from 70s and 90s, Gerry Beckly, Tom Petty, Robert Lamm, Glen Campbell, Jerry Schilling, Carnie Wilson. California Feelin vocals (chorus), This Whole World track, Time to get Alone vocals only, Our Sweet Love track only, Steamboat, Darlin (live at Knebworth), Cameron Crowe on Feel Flows. Justyn Wilson. Jonah Wilson. Heaven is played over footage with family. KTSA, GOK vocals, Til I die vocals, Good Timin (track).

The credits have the KTSA outtake I'll always Love You (vocals only), Alan really wanted to put that in there. Carl's wife didn't really like the cut of the song.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »

A couple of newer pieces Smile have came up since the release of TSS.

Wow. Did he mention any titles?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx