gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681022 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 03:16:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grammy Museum Los Angeles 9/18/12  (Read 42691 times)
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2012, 02:34:51 AM »

Just to echo what others are saying re: the well informed contributions from Jon S et al; glad to see you're still around these parts.  I always read your posts, but rarely comment, because I don't really have much to add to the discussion!

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2012, 02:42:51 AM »

I'd like to take all of these echoes, add my own, and then feed the whole lot into Sunset Sound's best echo chamber.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2012, 03:31:44 AM »

Facebook:

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2012, 05:52:13 AM »

Review and photo here:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/beach-boys-grammy-museum-exhibit-371631

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2012, 10:33:34 AM »

OUCH !!

Discussing the band’s early influences, Love said, “The chorus of ‘Kokomo’ comes from ‘Smokey Joe’s Café,’ ” referring to the Mike Leiber-Jerry Stoller

Santelli’s timeline of Marks’ and Jardine’s early days “replacing each other” in the band

Jon, did you chime in?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 10:39:24 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2012, 10:55:09 AM »

lol @ "Join us!" mid-"Surfer Girl".

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2012, 12:18:04 PM »

And here is the video!

http://youtu.be/MudGEyCi2Yk

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2012, 12:21:59 PM »

Facebook:

And here is the video!

Thanks !

- Jack Rieley
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2012, 12:25:41 PM »

OUCH !!

Discussing the band’s early influences, Love said, “The chorus of ‘Kokomo’ comes from ‘Smokey Joe’s Café,’ ” referring to the Mike Leiber-Jerry Stoller

Santelli’s timeline of Marks’ and Jardine’s early days “replacing each other” in the band

Jon, did you chime in?
I thought Santelli handled everything great. He gave Dave plenty of space to describe the nuance in the Al/Dave Dave+Al lineups, and the myth that surrounds the "usual" written history of the band's genesis. David did a perfect job, his crack that he was 10 when Surfin was recorded was a well-timed joke. But Dave's description of the timeline and history of he and Al's time in the band together was spot on. Of course Al isn't as clear about those days, or anything else. But it was a good natured and informative exchange, and Santelli gave it plenty of breathing room.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2012, 12:27:11 PM »

Man.. love when BW hits that riff at 3:22. Dude's still got it!!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2012, 12:31:53 PM »

And here is the video!

Oh sweet, finally! thanks
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2012, 12:47:43 PM »

Brian yawning during Kokomo !!  LOL

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2012, 01:33:17 PM »

Did the grammy museum jump the gun on the release date for the "50 Big Ones/Greatest Hits" sets?  LOL   Capitol doesn't like that!

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »

And here is the video!

Thanks!!! Made my day..
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2012, 01:58:29 PM »

Playing it over and over--deep thanks. So much less of Jeff than at Dodger stadium. . . .

Dave's playing is great, and I can hear him singing. Check out his great solo on HMR.

And these men have to settle this issue of the future now before we all get too frustrated with the confusion. (see the raging thread on this subject).

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2012, 02:09:57 PM »

OUCH !!

Jon, did you chime in?
I thought Santelli handled everything great. He gave Dave plenty of space to describe the nuance in the Al/Dave Dave+Al lineups, and the myth that surrounds the "usual" written history of the band's genesis. David did a perfect job, his crack that he was 10 when Surfin was recorded was a well-timed joke. But Dave's description of the timeline and history of he and Al's time in the band together was spot on. Of course Al isn't as clear about those days, or anything else. But it was a good natured and informative exchange, and Santelli gave it plenty of breathing room.

Thanks Jon. Sounds good

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2012, 02:14:55 PM »

Mike in the same get up as his last visit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x0L1NCq_xE&feature=related
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2012, 02:24:02 PM »

Brian yawning during Kokomo !!  LOL

Looked more like he is trying to keep down his dinner! Grin
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2012, 04:04:09 PM »

Thanks Mr. moderator and Erik...and Century thanks for the nice chat after the Grammy show, we even talked to Joe Thomas right? Glad to hear you're a "We'll Run Away" advocate too.

Indeed, I'm of the opinion that "We'll Run Away" (as well as the coincidentally-named Bruce/Terry tune "Don't Run Away") are 2 of the most underrated (or at least generally unknown except by HUGE fans) BB/BB-related tunes from the pre-Pet Sounds era. Nice chatting with you and meeting Joe Thomas, he's an imposing guy and I can understand now how he could've previously been a wrestler!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2012, 04:26:45 PM »

I think Brian yawning might be a side-affect of one (or a combination) of his meds. I don't think he's ever actually bored when he does that! Same deal with the eye closing and nose twitching, I'd venture to guess.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2012, 04:49:12 PM »

Lovely video.
Reminiscent of all the things we're gonna miss once the wishes of those who don't want this group to keep performing are fulfilled.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2012, 04:57:21 PM »

I think Brian yawning might be a side-affect of one (or a combination) of his meds. I don't think he's ever actually bored when he does that! Same deal with the eye closing and nose twitching, I'd venture to guess.

Or..... he just yawned. Yawning isn't always either a sign of boredom or a side effect of medication. Sometimes you're kind of tired or not getting enough oxygen, and you yawn.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2012, 05:14:33 PM »

Did the grammy museum jump the gun on the release date for the "50 Big Ones/Greatest Hits" sets?  LOL   Capitol doesn't like that!
Capitol will be mighty pissed that you can buy it here in Australia, straight off the shelves, as of yesterday!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2012, 08:46:58 PM »

You are right. Whoa! Shocked

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/music/pop-rock/50-big-ones-greatest-hits-limited-edition/673003

On NZ itunes also. Just got the IIT single.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:04:41 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2012, 09:39:58 PM »

Jon, in addition to all you contributions to the board, thanks for clarifying Dave's rightful place in the band. I think your work is largely responsible for making Dave part of the reunion. It wouldn't have been the same without him.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx