gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680851 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 08:24:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grammy Museum Los Angeles 9/18/12  (Read 42544 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2012, 08:25:38 AM »

Was any of it (amateur)filmed?  Undecided

Thanks for the report, southbay!
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2012, 08:30:53 AM »

It was a great event.  The band played 5 songs--SG, Cal Girls, Help Me Rhonda (introduced by Brian stating, "I', really in the mood to hear Al Jardine sing..."), Kokomo, and I Get Around after about an 1 of talk.  I tried but did not get to ask a qiuestion.  Most questions were typically lame. When asked what was "on his buscket list?", Brian stated "What is a bucket list?"   After having the concept explained to him, Brian replied that he "would really like to record a rock n' roll album with the boys". Huge applause all around. AL and David seconded that. When asked on follow up if there were definite plans on a new album, Brian replied no definite plans, but they would likely be back in the studio after the first of the year. When asked about their various solo ventures, Al stated he had no interest in that, "this is the band (pointing to the group)."  He stated that they plan on continuing on this configuration, or something to that effect, I lost the direct quote. No quotes from either Mike or Bruce on these topics, but Brian, Al and David were very vocal and upbeat about the future of the band together.

Although that was not Cowsill in the facebook pic, he was on the box for the performance.  Also backing were Foskett, Darian  and Totten.

Had the chance to meet Mark London who was very nice and gave some great insight into the box set (it IS coming out, never fear). Mark is in charge of the entire Booklet, approx 80 pages.  Will be filled with NUMEROUS unreleased and unseen photos. Said he was given access to a box of photos that had been stored in Brian's garage for years. ASked him iof the boys themselves had any input in the tracklist--"oh absolutely!" As for a release date, he still says November is possibile, but may indeed be pushed back because they "just f*cked with the tracklist" . There will be a lot of unrealeased material, but he didn't go into specifics.

That sounds like great news all around, though I'm not sure how likely "likely" is.  Hopefully the reason that they "just f*cked with the tracklist" was because they are adding certain songs that are in high demand from fans.  This 80-page booklet sounds pretty good, too.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2012, 08:46:36 AM »

Thanks southbay !

I wonder what Mark meant by "they f*cked with the tracklist". The Boys or Capitol? Maybe Mark can chime in when he's online and is allowed to give further info. Maybe Mike had a whole disc planned for the "Kokomo"-sessions....

Regarding the going on in that configuration, I already mentioned enough times that I don't think it would be a good idea to do this long enough for boredom and conflicts to set in. Sometimes you have to know when to stop. But otherwise if Brian and Al want to continue they can easily (I guess it is quite easy) stop Mike from going out as "The Beach Boys" by not giving him or renewing the license. Whatever, we'll see it.

Was any of it (amateur)filmed?  Undecided

Look at the first pic in this thread. There are cameras  Wink

EDIT:

Facebook:

Is that triple-platinum for Sounds Of Summer?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 09:16:41 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2012, 08:57:25 AM »

Damn right. You ever seen those glorious untamed locks when the man's pounding on them drums? Majestic.

Well.........I'm a guy so I wasn't really looking at his hair flying around. I was more into his skills at playing the drums and especially the sound he was projecting.  He's an excellent drummer.  His brothers and sister were/are very talented musicians and singers too.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2012, 09:04:05 AM »

Damn right. You ever seen those glorious untamed locks when the man's pounding on them drums? Majestic.

Well.........I'm a guy so I wasn't really looking at his hair flying around. I was more into his skills at playing the drums and especially the sound he was projecting.  He's an excellent drummer.  His brothers and sister were/are very talented musicians and singers too.

Definitely a brilliant drummer and (from what I've seen and read) a top-notch guy too. The hair is just part of the bigger picture. Anyway, I think there's a more interesting topic for discussion in here than Mr Cowsill's hair (though I'm delighted the chance to discuss it came up and to have been a part of it).
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2012, 09:06:45 AM »

As another poster put it already: no Foskett, no Beach Boys.

Uh huh.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2012, 09:22:58 AM »

Thanks southbay !

I wonder what Mark meant by "they f*cked with the tracklist". The Boys or Capitol? Maybe Mark can chime in when he's online and is allowed to give further info. Maybe Mike had a whole disc planned for the "Kokomo"-sessions....

Regarding the going on in that configuration, I already mentioned enough times that I don't think it would be a good idea to do this long enough for boredom and conflicts to set in. Sometimes you have to know when to stop. But otherwise if Brian and Al want to continue they can easily (I guess it is quite easy) stop Mike from going out as "The Beach Boys" by not giving him or renewing the license. Whatever, we'll see it.

Was any of it (amateur)filmed?  Undecided

Look at the first pic in this thread. There are cameras  Wink

EDIT:

Facebook:

Is that triple-platinum for Sounds Of Summer?

Yes, 3x Platinum for SOS.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2012, 09:23:35 AM »

Right on, Scruff.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2012, 09:31:49 AM »

It was a great event.  The band played 5 songs--SG, Cal Girls, Help Me Rhonda (introduced by Brian stating, "I'm really in the mood to hear Al Jardine sing..."), Kokomo, and I Get Around after about an hour of talk.  I tried but did not get to ask a qiuestion.  Most questions were typically lame. When asked what was "on his buscket list?", Brian stated "What is a bucket list?"   After having the concept explained to him, Brian replied that he "would really like to record a rock n' roll album with the boys". Huge applause all around. AL and David seconded that. When asked on follow up if there were definite plans on a new album, Brian replied no definite plans, but they would likely be back in the studio after the first of the year. When asked about their various solo ventures, Al stated he had no interest in that, "this is the band (pointing to the group)."  He stated that they plan on continuing on this configuration, or something to that effect, I lost the direct quote. No quotes from either Mike or Bruce on these topics, but Brian, Al and David were very vocal and upbeat about the future of the band together.

Although that was not Cowsill in the facebook pic, he was on the box for the performance.  Also backing were Foskett, Darian  and Totten.

Had the chance to meet Mark London who was very nice and gave some great insight into the box set (it IS coming out, never fear). Mark is in charge of the entire Booklet, approx 80 pages.  Will be filled with NUMEROUS unreleased and unseen photos. Said he was given access to a box of photos that had been stored in Brian's garage for years. ASked him iof the boys themselves had any input in the tracklist--"oh absolutely!" As for a release date, he still says November is possibile, but may indeed be pushed back because they "just f*cked with the tracklist" . There will be a lot of unrealeased material, but he didn't go into specifics.

Nice job on the review!  Sounds like a fun evening.  It is especially great to hear Brian and Al's comments about the current lineup.  Very promising!
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2012, 10:04:48 AM »

As another poster put it already: no Foskett, no Beach Boys.

Uh huh.

Glad to see you guys see the importance of Foskett, he's a key player in the current tour configuration and without him, nothing that transpired this year would be possible. I bet everyone here was thinking "Who'll be able to sing all of these songs now that everyone in the Beach Boys have completely obliterated their voices within an inch of their lives and no one in the world except 1966 Brian knows how to transcribe songs to a more comfortable to sing in key?!!" FOSKETT THAT'S WHO!!! Tongue

Friends, my basement is filled with about 40 boxes worth of these shirts and since you both seem to sing Foskett's praises as strongly as I do (pun intended), I'd be honoured in shipping a few out to each of you Smiley

Viva la Foskett!!!

p.s. Love You?!?!!! More like Hate You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xD
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:07:10 AM by Quzi » Logged

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2012, 10:18:41 AM »

I was very lucky to get a question in at the Q&A portion of the night’s event… unfortunately, my question didn’t exactly have much impact. I asked the band if they could tell us anything about the (Brian + Mike) song “All I Wanna Do”. (I figured mentioning it was a Brian + Mike tune would make the question have a bit more impact).  I was hoping for just a glimpse of info similar to 50 Sides of The Beach Boys, where the band would tell an interesting story and new facts would be unearthed…

But…Brian didn’t seem to recall it by title, but Bruce and Mike seemed to remember it a bit, and sang a couple of lines from it. I guess I was just hoping for some insight into one of their most beloved (by superfans) and neglected songs, but the Q&A Moderator moved right on after the band seemed to shrug. Bummer. Maybe if I’d asked them about “Cool, Cool Water” they’d have perked up and told an interesting anecdote. Or perhaps “Still I Dream of It”.

Strangely, on the way driving to the museum, I was actually debating about asking them about either “All I Wanna Do” or “I Went to Sleep”, and to my surprise, a lady in the audience asked them about “I Went to Sleep”, which fell upon nearly the same non-response as my question.

TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2012, 10:42:01 AM »

This whole post made my day. Southbay - I love you man.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2012, 11:00:37 AM »

Anticipating the arrival of Mr. Stebbins........

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2012, 12:04:40 PM »

Those plaques look so cool..

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2012, 12:22:56 PM »

I was very lucky to get a question in at the Q&A portion of the night’s event… unfortunately, my question didn’t exactly have much impact. I asked the band if they could tell us anything about the (Brian + Mike) song “All I Wanna Do”. (I figured mentioning it was a Brian + Mike tune would make the question have a bit more impact).  I was hoping for just a glimpse of info similar to 50 Sides of The Beach Boys, where the band would tell an interesting story and new facts would be unearthed…

But…Brian didn’t seem to recall it by title, but Bruce and Mike seemed to remember it a bit, and sang a couple of lines from it. I guess I was just hoping for some insight into one of their most beloved (by superfans) and neglected songs, but the Q&A Moderator moved right on after the band seemed to shrug. Bummer. Maybe if I’d asked them about “Cool, Cool Water” they’d have perked up and told an interesting anecdote. Or perhaps “Still I Dream of It”.

Strangely, on the way driving to the museum, I was actually debating about asking them about either “All I Wanna Do” or “I Went to Sleep”, and to my surprise, a lady in the audience asked them about “I Went to Sleep”, which fell upon nearly the same non-response as my question.

Ha, that was you?  Great question as was the I Went Sleep question.  Couldn't believe (well, maybe I can) that Mike said, "what album was that on?" to your question... And there were professional cameras all over that joint filming
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 12:31:16 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2012, 12:31:52 PM »

Couldn't believe (well, maybe I can) that Mike said, "what album was that on?" to your question... And there were professional cameras all over that joint filming

Brian couldn't even remember the song, and considering they've put out like ninety-four album and thousands of compilations, it's probably easy to forget which song was on which album sometimes.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2012, 12:32:14 PM »

There are plenty of cool pictures from last night over at gettyimages.com.  Search the beach boys

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2012, 12:34:49 PM »

I was very lucky to get a question in at the Q&A portion of the night’s event… unfortunately, my question didn’t exactly have much impact. I asked the band if they could tell us anything about the (Brian + Mike) song “All I Wanna Do”. (I figured mentioning it was a Brian + Mike tune would make the question have a bit more impact).  I was hoping for just a glimpse of info similar to 50 Sides of The Beach Boys, where the band would tell an interesting story and new facts would be unearthed…

This article mentions your question. Nice one! Grin

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/heardmentality/2012/09/the_beach_boys_remeber_the_goo.php
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2012, 12:38:18 PM »

The future is looking bright  Grin

Thanks Southbay

EDIT:

I can't believe Mike doesn't even remember what album "All I wanna do" was on  Thud
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 12:40:42 PM by Slim Shady » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2012, 12:40:16 PM »

This article mentions your question. Nice one! Grin

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/heardmentality/2012/09/the_beach_boys_remeber_the_goo.php

Nice pictures there as well:

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Reddiwhip
Smiley Smile Associate

Pop those buttons right off of my shirt

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2012, 01:10:14 PM »

The future is looking bright  Grin

Thanks Southbay

EDIT:

I can't believe Mike doesn't even remember what album "All I wanna do" was on  Thud

He may have wanted to make sure you weren't talking about All I Want To Do from 20/20  Wink

"Big Sur?"  "Nope, big mama!"  "HAHAHAHA.  What the hell does that mean?"

While at port adieu or die
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2012, 01:12:08 PM »

In advance, I tried to head off any possible confusion between "All I Want to Do" and "All I Wanna Do" that could have happened, which is why I specified "Sunflower" and it being a "Brian + Mike" song... but in the context of the evening, the question still fell flat Sad  I don't think they were confused between the 2 songs, I think they just literally have never had any reason to think of, or even listen to "All I Wanna Do" in 40 years, despite the band's supposed collective love for the Sunflower album as a whole.

Man, I wish this band loved their deep cuts as much as their fans do.

And that is hilarious about the O.C. Weekly mention of my question!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 01:14:18 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2012, 01:16:38 PM »

In advance, I tried to head off any possible confusion between "All I Want to Do" and "All I Wanna Do" that could have happened, which is why I specified "Sunflower" and it being a "Brian + Mike" song... but in the context of the evening, the question still fell flat Sad  I don't think they were confused between the 2 songs, I think they just literally have never had any reason to think of, or even listen to "All I Wanna Do" in 40 years, despite the band's supposed collective love for the Sunflower album as a whole.

"All I Wanna Do" was mentioned the last time Mike was at the Grammy Museum (for the Ca. Saga show), and he sang a little bit of it there too.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2012, 01:33:57 PM »

In advance, I tried to head off any possible confusion between "All I Want to Do" and "All I Wanna Do" that could have happened, which is why I specified "Sunflower" and it being a "Brian + Mike" song... but in the context of the evening, the question still fell flat Sad  I don't think they were confused between the 2 songs, I think they just literally have never had any reason to think of, or even listen to "All I Wanna Do" in 40 years, despite the band's supposed collective love for the Sunflower album as a whole.

"All I Wanna Do" was mentioned the last time Mike was at the Grammy Museum (for the Ca. Saga show), and he sang a little bit of it there too.

This is true - and that was actually also me at the Cal Saga show who brought it up then too! I'd really hoped with the whole band there last night, we'd get a tidbit or 2 of info about the song. That song seems to be a mystery and I'd love to uncover some info about it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 01:35:58 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2012, 01:36:44 PM »

In advance, I tried to head off any possible confusion between "All I Want to Do" and "All I Wanna Do" that could have happened, which is why I specified "Sunflower" and it being a "Brian + Mike" song... but in the context of the evening, the question still fell flat Sad  I don't think they were confused between the 2 songs, I think they just literally have never had any reason to think of, or even listen to "All I Wanna Do" in 40 years, despite the band's supposed collective love for the Sunflower album as a whole.

This is true - and that was actually also me at the Cal Saga show who brought it up then too! I'd really hoped with the whole band there last night, we'd get a tidbit or 2 of info about the song. That song seems to be a mystery and I'd love to uncover some info about it.

LOL LOL

Nice going! As a huge fan of "All I wanna" I seriously appreciate that 

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx