gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681349 Posts in 27635 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 04, 2024, 03:08:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE ENDLESS SUMMER WILL CONTINUE AFTER THE BEACH BOYS 50TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR WRAP  (Read 129298 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 19, 2012, 01:24:30 PM »

Brian would have tour as he wanted it. He is the founder after all....

He, Mike, Al, Carl, and Dennis were the founders, not just Brian.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2012, 01:25:15 PM »

I'm not sure what Mike's obsession is with touring and touring exclusively under the Beach Boys name. It would've been nice to see the current touring lineup continue, but with less dates and possibly without Brian sometimes. As others have said, this was kind of expected but still a little disappointing. I doubt it's anything cold on Mike's part, just going about his business as usual, and who knows what restrictions and conditions Brian's people threw Mike's way in concerns to the band's future with recording and touring. Not saying I agree with Mike's decisions or whatever, just saying these people have had internal conflicts before and it wouldn't shock me if some of them persisted.

It's ALL about what is best for Mike Love (aka-The Mike/Bruce show):

A) He is the total center of attention
B) He gets to cal all the shots
C) He probably makes much more money that touring with the real Beach Boys
D) He's addicted to the "side benefits" of being a rock star on the road,

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2012, 01:27:40 PM »

What might these "side benefits" be?  LOL

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 19, 2012, 01:30:26 PM »

What might these "side benefits" be?  LOL
This can't be good..... Grin
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 01:37:33 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: September 19, 2012, 01:35:48 PM »

The idea about not watering down the band's name by going right back out on the road is interesting. However, this reasoning would only work if Mike was going back out on the road under a different name. He's been diluting the "Beach Boys" brand for decades now (and Al and Carl and the rest were part of this too going back to the 80's and 90's), and that's one of the reason they aren't playing Anaheim Stadium like they were in 1976 or indoor areans like they were as late as 1980, and so on. A lot of factors play into venue sizes and whatnot, but even Carl back in the 80's commented that they were diluting the name by doing 100-150 shows per year, every year.

If the BB's had simply ceased touring in 1998, and then the 2012 shows were not only the first "reunion" gigs, but the first gigs of any kind under the BB name since '98, they would have probably been playing larger venues. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing them at the Greek Theater in Berkeley instead of a baseball stadium or basketball arena.

Again, this is the strange world of BB politics. I don't think the current state of the band is crystal clear to anyone. It sounds like Brian, Al, and David would probably like to continue with the lineup, but not do 150 shows per year. As many have said lately, Brian and Al can attempt to pull the license at some point here if they feel that strongly about Mike not going back to his version of the BB's. But that wouldn't exactly foster a closer bond to then pull together for another album and tour.

I can envision them moving between the Mike/Bruce lineup and a reunion lineup, but it will eventually get confusing for all of the machinery of the touring industry, namely promoters, agents, venues, and so on.

Mike going back out and doing a 150 shows in 2013 will not help build demand for a 2014 "reunion" lineup. And you know what? These guys are too old to try to do it every "two or three years." I hope they live another 50 years each, but they won't be able to do this freakishly amazing sounding live show for another 20 years.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 19, 2012, 01:42:11 PM »

What might these "side benefits" be?  LOL
This can't be good..... Grin

He get's the senior discount on the Denny's Grand Slam breakfast when traveling.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 19, 2012, 01:44:52 PM »

I gotta wonder if maybe Mike wasn't that happy with TWGMTR. He's only the lead singer on a third of the album, and the lyrics (besides "Spring Vacation" and "Beaches In Mind") aren't exactly Mike Love fun-in-the-sun type fare. Even though I think Mike has grown up a bit and became a little wiser over time, I really don't think he sees any point in The Beach Boys besides the '62 to '65  hits and "Kokomo". And he will also giving lip service to Pet Sounds and if he's feeling nice, "Heroes And Villains" and "Wonderful".

I do think he wanted The Beach Boys to make a new album and be back in popular culture to a degree, and he's fulfilled that. So now I think he's realized he can either not tour so much and continue The Beach Boys as a viable recording group, or he can just tour the hits with Bruce to low brow know-nothings. I think it's obvious which Mike would prefer.

And I wouldn't be so big on this if it wasn't for that quote by Brian's manager that he is bummed. Why would Mike not want to keep Brian with the group? Personally I think if Mike wants to play hardball, Brian, Al, and Carl's estate should say, "you know what Mike, we're not gonna license the name to you anymore...unless we are onstage with you, it's not The Beach Boys. We wanna record and be a real band. Are you in?"
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: September 19, 2012, 01:47:04 PM »

I gotta wonder if maybe Mike wasn't that happy with TWGMTR. He's only the lead singer on a third of the album, and the lyrics (besides "Spring Vacation" and "Beaches In Mind") aren't exactly Mike Love fun-in-the-sun type fare. Even though I think Mike has grown up a bit and became a little wiser over time, I really don't think he sees any point in The Beach Boys besides the '62 to '65  hits and "Kokomo". And he will also giving lip service to Pet Sounds and if he's feeling nice, "Heroes And Villains" and "Wonderful".

I wish there was a Beach Boys forum where people actually liked the members of the band.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 19, 2012, 01:52:53 PM »

I wish there was a Beach Boys forum where people actually liked the members of the band.

What the f*** are you talking about?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 19, 2012, 01:53:01 PM »

Confusion:

http://www.ranchosantafereview.com/2012/09/19/the-beach-boys-to-perform-at-benefit-at-the-santaluz-club/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RanchoSantaFeReview+%28Rancho+Santa+Fe+Review%29

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 19, 2012, 01:53:43 PM »

Brian's people just tweeted that LA Times article. Passive-aggressive marketing? Gotta love it.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 19, 2012, 01:55:26 PM »

We try to, but Mike Love is just an unlikable person. Brian, Al, and David seem cool though. Bruce is a mystery.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: September 19, 2012, 01:56:15 PM »

Brian's people just tweeted that LA Times article. Passive-aggressive marketing? Gotta love it.

yeah I thought that was really interesting. they also posted it on the facebook page.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 19, 2012, 01:58:09 PM »

I'm not sure what to make of Mike's comments.  He has a valid point about overexposure but then here he is going out on the road almost immediately with Bruce with The Beach Boys "banner" next month.  If he was SERIOUSLY worried about having too much attention---why stay in the game?  Him saying that promoters said to "give it a rest for a year" is probably him putting the blame on someone else.  It seems to me that it is he himself who wants the break for a year.  He wants to go back to the tour/band/life that he knows so well.  There is no doubt Mike enjoyed the last few months but it looks like he's gotten used to being the full time parent of The Beach Boys' name instead of having a few other people come in and share it with him.

I gotta wonder if maybe Mike wasn't that happy with TWGMTR. He's only the lead singer on a third of the album, and the lyrics (besides "Spring Vacation" and "Beaches In Mind") aren't exactly Mike Love fun-in-the-sun type fare. Even though I think Mike has grown up a bit and became a little wiser over time, I really don't think he sees any point in The Beach Boys besides the '62 to '65  hits and "Kokomo".

You're probably right.  To me, all I needed to hear on what Mike thought of the album when he said a while back that when he wrote the new songs for the album...he wrote songs that didnt sound like they were written in a "hospice"--a sly reference to the Life suite on the end of TWGMTR.  For a guy who likes to keep things upbeat and remian "Mr. Positive" I can see how songs about summers and friends being gone is not on his priority list.  He probably wants to specifically write more songs with Brian so he has a say on what type of songs are written.  Mike didn't oversee the Life suite since they were cowrtitten with Joe Thomas, now I think Mike wants to take a little bit more control.  Before he does, it seems he just wants a little break from all this.

And I wouldn't be so big on this if it wasn't for that quote by Brian's manager that he is bummed. Why would Mike not want to keep Brian with the group?

Right.  I don't get it either.  I'd hope that Mike is aware of Brian's feelings and it is with a heavy heart that he must tell his cousin to hold off on anymore plans until after the new year.  I hope Mike holds to his promise and Brian is still interested in more BB work in 2013.
PhilCohen
« Reply #139 on: September 19, 2012, 01:58:21 PM »

...and so the 50 year saga of The Beach Boys ends with more villainy from Mike Love. Depressing, but not a surprise.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 03:06:21 PM by PhilCohen » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 19, 2012, 01:58:42 PM »

Bruce seems much more unlikeable than Mike. Mike comes across as misunderstood and genuinely out of touch

Bruce, I get an unpleasant vibe off him, I imagine he's incredibly two faced

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: September 19, 2012, 02:00:06 PM »

Was just going to post about that. That article has been posted on Brian's official Facebook page. Doesn't smell very good if you ask me.

Also be sure to check out the good old "Mike bashing" in the comments. Hadn't read that in a long time.

"Mike Love is a douchebag"
"I wouldn't pay $5 to see Mike Love without Brian"
"Love has always been my least favorite beach boy"
"Mike Love seems like an awful guy."
"He's a complete ass. I hope nobody supports his lame pseudo Beach Boys anymore."
"Mike needs to hang on to his ego."
"mike love is a sook"
"Mike Love's a dick; always was, always will be."
"mike love is garbage."
"Mike Love is such an asshole. He ruined everything."
"Mike Love proving to be the world's biggest douche"
"Leave it to Mike Love to screw things up. He is an ego-maniacal A-HOLE. He could screw up a Chinese fire drill."
"he has to be the biggest prick in the history of Rock 'n Roll."
"Mr. Ego himself, Mike "The Buzzkill" Love"
"Mike Love - the world's most egotistic douchebag"
"Once again Mike Love proves what a raging douche he still is after all these years"
"Mike Love is a dick, straight up."
"Mike love needs to eat a big fat dick"
"Mike Love is an asshole and HAS always been an asshole!"
"Mike Love Sucks"

And my personal favorite so far "It's giving me douche chills."
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:14:56 PM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2012, 02:01:50 PM »

This whole thing is a shame.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2012, 02:02:04 PM »

"Brian is very bummed"  Undecided
Brian shared the article on his Facebook page a couple of minutes ago...

I'm not sure what to make of this. By now Brian must have known about Mike and Bruce's plans for the near future and presumably has been pushing forward with new solo projects for 2013 as well. Maybe it's just that he would have liked to continue working with them (but according to Mike that is still being considered). Maybe it's just Brian's mood changes...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2012, 02:09:10 PM »

Indeed ! What's this all about? A Mike & Bruce show or a Beach Boys concert? And if it really is in Mexico, would they play tehre after having done their last UK show just two days prior?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:11:03 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2012, 02:13:27 PM »

Indeed ! What's this all about? A Mike & Bruce show or a Beach Boys concert? And if it really is in Mexico, would they play tehre after having done their last UK show just two days prior?
Maybe it's just Mike & Dean.  Grin
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2012, 02:14:36 PM »

At this point, I have no doubt it's a Mike/Bruce show.  An additional "reunion" show would have been announced by now and listed on their website.  After the two UK shows...the Reunion Celebration tour officially concludes.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2012, 02:17:44 PM »

It's ALL about what is best for Mike Love (aka-The Mike/Bruce show):

A) He is the total center of attention
B) He gets to cal all the shots
C) He probably makes much more money that touring with the real Beach Boys

I respectfully TOTALLY disagree with your points.

Like I admitted in an earlier post, I have no idea how the coming & going of Al Jardine and David Marks was handled and is being handled.

But as far as Brian Wilson is concerned, if Brian told Mike that he wanted to tour with Mike & Bruce, there is no way - NO WAY - Mike would refuse. For 51 years, Mike has lived to work with Brian Wilson in any capacity. I believe his estrangement from Brian over the last three decades has been killing him, personally and professionally.

This "Brian is bummed" is a joke. Brian's probably mentally and physically exhausted and is looking forward to nothing more than a recliner for a few months. If Brian wants to resume touring with The Beach Boys, he/they will. If Brian wants to record another album with The Beach Boys, he/they will.

These misguided posts about Mike controlling everything are also a joke. Mike's "power" can very easily be changed. All major decisions concerning The Beach Boys are subject to a vote. And guess who has a vote? Brian Wilson. If Brian doesn't like what's going on, he has the power to change it. And, you don't think Brian - and his wifeandmanagers and TALENT has any influence over the others' votes? Mike has this supposed "power" because it was given to him, it was literally handed over to him - by votes, votes submitted by Brian Wilson.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 19, 2012, 02:26:02 PM »

Slightly more from RS mag now:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/brian-wilson-holds-out-hope-for-new-beach-boys-music-20120919#ixzz26xAK79cn

On whether the group's solo projects might prevent them from making more new music beyond this year's That's Why God Made the Radio LP, Jardine said, "The Beach Boys is the real deal. I'm not interested in that other stuff." And Wilson got the biggest response of the night when he said, "I wouldn't mind getting together with Mike [Love] and the guys and making an exciting rock & roll album."

Added Wilson, "I'm sure by early next year we'll be ready to rock."
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: September 19, 2012, 02:26:59 PM »

This "Brian is bummed" is a joke. Brian's probably mentally and physically exhausted and is looking forward to nothing more than a recliner for a few months. If Brian wants to resume touring with The Beach Boys, he/they will. If Brian wants to record another album with The Beach Boys, he/they will.

i think you might have a point there. Brian could be bummed because the tour will be over soon and he enjoyed it so much. It doesn't mean he's bummed that Mike & Bruce go out soon on their own again. In fact it was clear from the very beginning that there would be more shows of Mike & Bruce. Brian's a sentimental kid of guy so that might be what's going on with him.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 27 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx