gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680752 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:10:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE ENDLESS SUMMER WILL CONTINUE AFTER THE BEACH BOYS 50TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR WRAP  (Read 128169 times)
oldsurferdude
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2012, 08:01:30 PM »

Mike, just stop touring and take a break for a while until the rest of the group is ready to tour. I can see so many things going wrong this winter with people confused about the BBs touring groups.
It's no use with him. Myke Luhv is delusional-he thinks he really is the Beach Boys. He and bruce can barely sing anymore so they have imposters who hardly sound authentic when they could have Al and David but no, they cost too much for the Lovester. Bottom line? No Wilsons, no Beach Boys.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2012, 08:09:01 PM »

Mike, just stop touring and take a break for a while until the rest of the group is ready to tour. I can see so many things going wrong this winter with people confused about the BBs touring groups.
It's no use with him. Myke Luhv is delusional-he thinks he really is the Beach Boys. He and bruce can barely sing anymore so they have imposters who hardly sound authentic when they could have Al and David but no, they cost too much for the Lovester. Bottom line? No Wilsons, no Beach Boys.
While I understand your "No Wilson's, no Beach Boys" line, I think Mike & Bruce, as well as Brian, Al and David have proved beyond a doubt that they can more than barely sing. Give credit where credit is due.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2012, 08:24:14 PM »

Brian, Al, Mike, David, and Bruce can always decide to reunite for another tour after the 50th tour ends. Stranger things have happened.   Cool

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2012, 08:51:01 PM »

It's not just the loss of Brian, Al, and Dave though.  Brian's band which made up the majority of the people onstage is gone too and let's face it, the guys Mike and Bruce have with them do not have the same kind of musicianship and even though it should be seen as a separate entity than the 50th anniversary tour, it will pale in comparison anyways.  They're not a bad band, don't get me wrong, but this past year, the Beach Boys have been a completely different group, giving the music a live experience that it hasn't seen in years (except for Brian's solo tours) and now all of the sudden, we're back to the casual and painfully irrelevant fun time band just like that?  It just doesn't feel right and while I respect Mike for wanting to keep it going, it will always seem like it's not enough now that we've witnessed what it could be under the right circumstances.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2012, 09:00:29 PM »

It's not just the loss of Brian, Al, and Dave though.  Brian's band which made up the majority of the people onstage is gone too and let's face it, the guys Mike and Bruce have with them do not have the same kind of musicianship and even though it should be seen as a separate entity than the 50th anniversary tour, it will pale in comparison anyways.  They're not a bad band, don't get me wrong, but this past year, the Beach Boys have been a completely different group, giving the music a live experience that it hasn't seen in years (except for Brian's solo tours) and now all of the sudden, we're back to the casual and painfully irrelevant fun time band just like that?  It just doesn't feel right and while I respect Mike for wanting to keep it going, it will always seem like it's not enough now that we've witnessed what it could be under the right circumstances.

I agree with you, with the exception of Scott Totten and John Cowsill...they are badass.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2012, 09:03:03 PM »

Yeah I like them too.  Cowsill especially is great on drums.  But I'm not a huge fan of Totten when he sings lead vocals.

TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2012, 09:10:54 PM »

Don't care if it was to be expected. Still really sad and depressing. Nevertheless it's been an awesome year to be a Beach Boys fan. Even though I would kill for one more studio album, TWGMTR ranks as one of my favorite albums of all time, and the concert I saw in May was the best I've seen. So, really I couldn't have asked for more, and what we got I never thought would ever happen.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2012, 09:42:46 PM »

For Smelly Armpits:

Cowsill's a badass.  No doubt about it at all.  And Totten held all the 50th reunion rehearsals together and directed the band with the same demanding pickiness and attention to detail as Brian use to exemplify as a producer in the 60's. So he's an effing badass too. Give those guys some credit, eh?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 09:50:46 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2012, 10:25:43 PM »

Smelly Armpits.  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2012, 10:48:29 PM »

LOL

My username came from an offhand comment I made to another member here.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2012, 12:18:46 AM »

I dunno. It's still a mystery to me. The three shows I saw online are mid October shows - one in Waco (at a 5K seater) and two gigs in Biloxi. And mid October to boot. I just don't understand why the chinese fire drill to get back on the road, when you could easily do it in mid to late November. Heck, call 'em Christmas shows. Doing it on the heels of London, with greatest hits, a DVD and a boxset in the offing seem mercenary.

And I know it's all PR rah-rah, but these press releases that speak of how these shows will prove 'the music lives on' are just jive. Of course the music lives on...it lived and breathed this summer as it hasn't in decades.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2012, 12:59:25 AM »

Guh.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2012, 01:35:28 AM »

This pseudo-press release about Mike continuing with Bruce and without the other seems much less like a happy announcement, and more like a warning, basically saying "Hey, if you buy Beach Boys tickets for shows after 9/28, this is what you'll be getting."

Excellent management. Now, if anyone bitches about Alan/Brian/David not being there, Mike can point to Rolling Stone - and the 'net - and say "can't say we didn't tell ya". And rightly too.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2012, 01:36:33 AM »

Brian, Al, Mike, David, and Bruce can always decide to reunite for another tour after the 50th tour ends. Stranger things have happened.   Cool

Yup... 60th... 75th... 100th.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Nicko1234
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2012, 01:58:48 AM »

As long it doesn`t interfere with the possibility of the group doing more recording in future, I don`t see this as being a big deal. In recent years the Mike and Bruce shows have been excellent and musically similar to the recent reunion tour. If they were to pass through my town (they won`t) then I wouldn`t hesitate to go to see them.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2012, 02:56:46 AM »

Er.. have you been to one of the reunion shows? Mike's voice is in top shape.  Huh And regarding Bruce - his voice is naturally getting thinner with age when it comes to the range he's known for (see his rather weak "Wendy" this year). But apart from that... he too is in good form. ASMTYD, DG ('57), FFF, etc..
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2012, 03:25:07 AM »

Mike and Bruce's band does not include Jeff Foskett. That would get people on this board interested if we were in like March 2012.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2012, 04:09:29 AM »

Last reunion tour was probably better then the Beach Boys with Ricky & Blondie. If you listen to live recordings from the early 70's, you'll hear the band takes their time to tune guitars, talk at lenght in between, often play too long intros, I mean they could play tight and heavy, but they probably forgot to make a coherent show.  
This year's reunion band played very well, and - like never before - could use so many different instruments from the backing band. Also: no idle waiting between songs, except for good music it was also a good show, I mean like in a good movie, just keep the listener being amazed and entertained.

Now this is artistic GOLD, but now Mike & Bruce are going their way: probably make more money with a smaller band?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 04:10:49 AM by Jaco » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2012, 04:23:37 AM »

Tuning instruments mid-show just happens. Not sure why you'd fault a band for doing so.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2012, 04:31:02 AM »

'Fault a band' is a bit of an exaggeration. But you don't wanna loose your audience, maybe they gonna buy some drink or just leave?
You could use sidemen. And I saw sideman handle over brand new tuned guitars between songs.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2012, 04:49:56 AM »

If you listen to live recordings from the early 70's, you'll hear the band takes their time to tune guitars, talk at lenght in between, often play too long intros, I mean they could play tight and heavy, but they probably forgot to make a coherent show.

I wasn't alive for it, but from what I've been told, that was most bands in the 70's! haha
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2012, 04:50:24 AM »

that's just because it was the 70s, not that they were like, irresponsible or something. bands back then didn't have like 15 guitars that could be switched in and out at every available moment.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2012, 05:26:15 AM »

What a strange thing to pick up on - Would you rather they played increasingly out of tune?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2012, 05:27:48 AM »

For the whole reunion tour I often wondered if the tour was put together very quickly (and thankfully very, very well) because of the bookings that Mike & Bruce already had for October (and didn't they also have to cancel some shows earlier this year?). So contracts were already signed for the Mike&Bruce show to play after the Beach Boys tour. I'm not surprised that Brian didn't know this (see Rolling Stone) as this is Brian. Plus no one ever said that it would be certain they'd continue together.

Personally I hoped for (and I mentioned this in this thread) that this would be the last Beach Boys tour. You know, go out on a high note. I'm not very fond of Mike&Bruce going out as "The Beach Boys" no matter how good their band is.
I'd rather have them billed as "Mike Love & Bruce Johnston of The Beach Boys" or something to that effect but of course it wouldn't work very well.
One thing though is that the Beach Boys have done fantastic shows that exceeded our expectations and was so good that it'll be hard for Mike&Bruce to get on this level again - no matter how good their band is; the Beach Boys are missing (same goes of course for Brian's tours).
The setlists on the Beach Boys tour were great but I don't think Mike&Bruce will go this way and play the setlists they have done in the last years (which were cool of course); dunno about TWGMTR being included.

After the whole media and press attention the Beach Boys got, it is certain that Mike&Bruce will have some more sales and attention at least for a while because people will believe this is the Beach Boys with Brian (as someone else already mentioned, Brian reuniting with the others is the reason it was/is such a success and not the reunion of the other members). It's not like it wasn't announced but those are not hardcore fans as we are and probably have heard about Brian and the boys being back together, maybe even bought the new album but don't know about the business side and wouldn't think of reading up on that topic. All they know is "Beach Boys reunited with Brian to celebrate their 50th this year, have a new album with Brian and they are giving a concert here".

Music critics and magazines of course will also be on the roll dismissing Mike&Bruce's show. And although I don't think it is fair from a musical point, the criticism of using the Beach Boys' name I share.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2012, 07:32:28 AM »

Status quo ante.  Andrew is correct.

Much greatness poured forth from this tour.

First, they still "got it." (Never a doubt in my mind!)

Second, musicians from each of the bands worked together!  Wow! 

Third, resurgence of interest and appreciation for the music.  Win-win!

But, many who don't access to the regional areas of the tour were disappointed not to see the Touring Band in their more "local" community event venues.  One season won't be all that bad.  And, the music got to more far-flung areas with the Touring Band.  What is really cool is the creativity during the long separation.  Al put out a great album, Brian released work as well, and the younger guys are working on their own cool stuff as well and seem less "in the shadows" than their predecessors.

Lastly, they appeared genuinely delighted working in front of very appreciative fans.  Now, it is time for a breather.  My instinct tells me that we have not seen the last of them touring as group.  Brian looks as if he is more than delighted to be Mr. Beach Boy!  Stay tuned.

To all you wonderful British-based fans: Just rock out next week!  At "this year's" grand finale!   Wink
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 27 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx