gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:16:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE ENDLESS SUMMER WILL CONTINUE AFTER THE BEACH BOYS 50TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR WRAP  (Read 127356 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 22, 2012, 12:53:56 AM »

You mean, Mike & Bruce might not be doing the hayrides after all?

“We live in divisive times.”
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 22, 2012, 01:02:23 AM »

Well, what if all this "drama" and disagreements about the direction of the band was all manufactured just for publicity?  It'd be really something if in an alternate reality, they actually all had sat together and agreed that they'd reconvene with the reunion next year but until then the Mike/Bruce show would go on in the interim.  So in the meantime, they created this fake "drama" to stir up the media (and fans) in thinking there were "bad vibrations" which would make it look like they split under bad terms.  The huge payoff to this would be when they come back on tour and we all go nuts all over again because we thought it'd never happen again considering the way this tour had ended.  Hook, line, sinker!  If this scenario was true, Mike is sort of the hero of the group because he's putting himself up as the "villian"/"bad guy" just for this plan to actually work.  Whatta guy! Smokin

I'm not saying that's exactly what's happening here but it's fun to think about.  A small part of me thinks this is the case though.  It's sort of weird that Brian is so vocal about this situation.  It reminds me how vocal and adamant he was last year that a reunion was definitely not going to happen.  Shades of that are creeping up here a bit.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 01:03:27 AM by Justin » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #327 on: September 22, 2012, 01:46:20 AM »

Mike brought this on himself.

I have no sympathy for the incredible amount of hate he's getting

I think Mike`s stood up to much worse in the past.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: September 22, 2012, 03:07:40 AM »

The line "After all, we are the real beach boys" strikes me as something the real Brian would never say. Unless I misunderstood the meaning.

In some way I agree. After years of  distancing himself from the Beach Boys he all of a sudden sees himself again as one of them. But on the other hand it wasn't very different with Smile.

Exactly. The title track is nostalgic and doesn't name check all their old hits, etc. and it works very, very well. And that's why Mike's lyrics on SV and BIM sound even worse, because they are on an album with a song that really does it right.

It should be remembered though that Brian came up with the titles to those two songs. It would be interesting to see what lyrics Mike would come up with if given a non-surf theme to write about.

It's not about the theme, it's the results of lyrics. Don't you think he could've written much better stuff for the same titles?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Nicko1234
« Reply #329 on: September 22, 2012, 03:25:32 AM »

It's not about the theme, it's the results of lyrics. Don't you think he could've written much better stuff for the same titles?

With regard to Beaches in Mind I would say that apart from the `Fun, Fun, Fun` reference, not really. The lyrics are respectable enough and on a par with many of the band`s fun in the sun songs. It`s the music which kills this one for me.

The `Good Vibrations` reference in Spring Vacation is awful but apart from that how else could the song really be? I`m not saying the lyrics are good but it could have been so much worse as at least Mike avoided another Summer of Love fiasco by talking about hot young girls by swimming pools. Thankfully it`s catchy enough to overcome the lyrical failings imo anyway.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: September 22, 2012, 03:58:38 AM »

I really wonder what the early, gospel version of 'Spring Vacation' that was supposed to be called Lay Down Burden and sung by Carl would even have been like.

But yeah, that's the worst song on the record by a considerable margin. Brian and Mike should be ashamed of themselves.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 22, 2012, 04:21:14 AM »

I only say this due to people saying otherwise and not in defense of Docta Love: I really don't think the title track is THAT much better at the nostalgia thing than "Spring Vacation" or "Beaches In Mind", lyrically speaking. Definitely better, but not by a great deal. If Mike had written lines like "Cruisin' at seven/Push button heaven" or "Spreadin' the love and sunshine to a whole new generation!!! WHOLE NEW GENERATION!!!" there would be no end to the amount of sh*t he'd be given over it.

But Brian is associated with them in some manner, so they're "quirky" and "Love You-esque". Brian is incapable of being awful, only quirky and Love You-esque, or if he ever has been awful, it was the fault of Landy, Capitol, Mike Love etc. because Brian is just so lovable.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: September 22, 2012, 05:24:56 AM »

But Brian is associated with them in some manner, so they're "quirky" and "Love You-esque". Brian is incapable of being awful, only quirky and Love You-esque, or if he ever has been awful, it was the fault of Landy, Capitol, Mike Love etc. because Brian is just so lovable.

I don't know about others but that's not what I try to bring across. Since the first time I heard "Forever she'll be my surfer girl" I was very opposed to the lyrics.
I wouldn't mind if Mike wrote the lyric to TWGMTR, in fact I would praise hime for that song. But he didn't write it, so...

With regard to Beaches in Mind I would say that apart from the `Fun, Fun, Fun` reference, not really. The lyrics are respectable enough and on a par with many of the band`s fun in the sun songs. It`s the music which kills this one for me.

I agree that the music isn't very well done either. It could have been a better recording if they had worked more on that song, because it sounds like a rehearsal to me (although there's an awesome sound aroun 0:58 that blows my mind, guitar, harmonica, fuzz... IDK).
The lyrics are ok but not very good either (worse than "It's ok"). Mike (and Joe Thomas) surely could've come up with better ones.
The whole middle part ("We'll find a place in the sun...") is terrible in every aspect. Lyrically and musically. It sounds like they just put a part from "It's a beautiful day" into BIM (including the Fun, Fun, Fun reference !). Just terrible.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 22, 2012, 05:34:01 AM »

I only say this due to people saying otherwise and not in defense of Docta Love: I really don't think the title track is THAT much better at the nostalgia thing than "Spring Vacation" or "Beaches In Mind", lyrically speaking. Definitely better, but not by a great deal. If Mike had written lines like "Cruisin' at seven/Push button heaven" or "Spreadin' the love and sunshine to a whole new generation!!! WHOLE NEW GENERATION!!!" there would be no end to the amount of sh*t he'd be given over it.

You are absolutely correct. I love how Brian always gets a pass on stuff like this.  I guess we'll know in a few days how serious all these reunion/new album/Mike & Bruce back on the road stuff is, once they hit the stage in the UK. How they interact on stage, along with new interviews, will tell if this is a real issue or just dramatics.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #334 on: September 22, 2012, 07:42:38 AM »

This was posted by the "The beach boys/brian wilson fan page" site on Facebook.

A BLINDSIDED WILSON SAID, "I'M DISAPPOINTED AND CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY HE (LOVE) DOESN'T WANT TO TOUR WITH AL, DAVID AND ME.  WE ARE OUT HERE HAVING SO MUCH FUN.  AFTER ALL, WE ARE THE REAL BEACH BOYS." -- CNN  http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/21/showbiz/beach-boys-split/index.html

Appropriately shared from Jolene Firgens, aka Jodi Gable--who, in 1961, was personally selected by the guys and Murry to be the first president of the first Beach Boys fan club--here is the statement I've been dreading reading.  And it's a surprise: Brian expresses disappointment at the press release in which Mike states that he will continue touring with his version of the band, which does not include Brian, Al or David.  In case you're not aware of how Mike is able to make that unilateral decision, it's because Brian turned legal ownership of the group name over to Mike one of the times Mike sued him.  That is why Mike has had more control of the tour, as has been vividly illustrated by tour personnel and setlists. 

But how is it that Brian's knowledge of Mike's plan came by way of a press release?  How could he not have known that Mike had scheduled concerts following the reunion tour, when that fact has been known to us here on the fan page for months?  For quite some time, people in our group have held tickets to concerts they knew did not include Brian, Al and David; so how could Brian not have known?  Well, he does have his own private tour bus...

Brian's expression of disappointment at Mike's plan to go on without the other three longtime members suggests that there have been no conversations about the possibility of those three continuing to tour with the band.  There was no invitation from Mike: no discussion...(changing tones here!)...no negotiation, no legal wrangling, no CONTRACT.  Which brings me to my point: Brian's statement seems to me to lend some hope to the idea that the current Beach Boys line-up might continue to tour.

Mike has always been all about the money.  It's difficult to imagine his truly not wanting to continue touring with all five longtime band members, at least for a while.  He doesn't want to continue playing large arenas and receiving the adulation people around the world have showered on the full band?  He doesn't want to rake in more bucks, just until Brian decides he is no longer up to touring?  I believe he does.  I think Mike's press release was a power play and a negotiation tactic, to put the idea of the entire group's continuing to tour on the table--officially, publicly, legally, and with notice of his continuing control of all things "Beach Boys."

Think about this: Why did Mike issue that press release when he did?  He had not just scheduled the dates; that was done months ago.  The tour isn't over; they still have the London concerts to go.  So why then?  Why in conjunction with the Grammy Museum appearance?  Because the Grammy event got them some press, ensuring that the release would be publicized; and because the reunion tour is not over, so there still is time for negotiation.

I believe Mike's press release, as intended, resulted in many legal and financial wheels beginning to turn.  I think Brian and Melinda, Al, David, and a gang of attorneys, all talked about this the following morning.  I think we'll hear more about it, possibly an announcement from London.  Will the entire band go on?  It depends on the negotiations: who demands what, who agrees to what, and, above all, that Mike gets as big a piece of the pie as he wants.  If Brian, Al and Dave are having enough fun to want to continue, and if they can agree to Mike's terms...we may get to see them again in concert!  The show I attended was one of the best I've ever seen, and I would buy another ticket in a heartbeat.  Here's wishing Good Vibrations on the negotiations.  NM

- Jack Rieley
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 22, 2012, 08:21:24 AM »

Wouldn't it be great if this was just another trick that all of them are pulling on us again?  Just like Brian did to all of us all last year when he denied that a reunion would happen and how disinterested he was in participating in it?  What if this whole thing about Brian being disappointed is all another act just to get the media and fans off their backs so when they do reform in the future....it'd be another surprise and another huge success because we never thought it'd happen again. 

If this was all just one bit act...I say "bravo." Cool

Justin - you are such a passionate fan.  Bravo! To assume that anyone is "playing a trick on fans" presents is just foolish. Post the death of Carl, and the three way split, I think much growth took place with guys who leaned on one another from the inception of the band.  That is a good thing.  They now have a skillset that is enviable.  Each built a band and acquired business acumen.  And, as I mentioned earlier, it may be that the Touring Band had booked dates before the reunion happened.  There may be contractual obligations all around.  And, one can only imagine how exhausted they'd be, even if they were still in their twenties.

What cracks me up is that the Touring Band is now sought after - after enduring all sorts of slings and arrows about artistic selling out and diminishing the value of the music.  Now, all parties have seen that Mike built a great band, has extraordinary business sense, and has created good will (in the business sense) in a global context.  And even the old band, and by that I mean the Carl (full band era) had lean years but kept touring, which kept the music and the brand out in the public eye in a continuum.  A lot of the 60's and 70's bands have bitten the dust from sheer laziness and refusal to go with the flow with a change in markets.  And fans have become very faithful annual (or more) spectators. 

But, I'm not on Facebook so I can only read what might be posted here for information.   I wish that fans would let them sit down and take a rest, which always brings better decisions, coming back to the table to make good decisions.  Good decisions are usually not made when all parties are exhausted.  When people make the decisions free from pressure and with fire to work,  creativity abounds.  And each of them have skills where they can do some work and composing or lyrics or concepts, independently and bring them back to that mythical "Round Table."

They worked so beautifully together this summer. They were a joy to watch, and even more, to see their respective bands become so passionate in their concert work.  One could have only imagined the likes of Bragg and Cowsill, and Bennett and Totten and Gregory, Von Mertens, Nicky, and Mikey work together on a BB stage.  It was amazing.  Jeff I guess is a vice-principal.  LOL

For me, that video wall gave young and old a sense of history.  And that was the frosting on the cake.  They will probably get there, when they are ready to "Do It Again!"  Wink

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 22, 2012, 09:33:04 AM »

As fans, we have now analyzed this from every angle, real and imaginary. We have, free of charge, re-written press releases for them and mediated their emotional and legal affairs for them.

We are done, I think, and now it's time for the BB to speak to us and to clarify it all. The danger right now is that the bad vibes are making it harder for me to do what I do every day (you too): put on BB music and build the day of activity around it.

what happened to "long as we can all stay together"?
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 22, 2012, 10:09:14 AM »

As fans, we have now analyzed this from every angle, real and imaginary. We have, free of charge, re-written press releases for them and mediated their emotional and legal affairs for them.

We are done, I think, and now it's time for the BB to speak to us and to clarify it all. The danger right now is that the bad vibes are making it harder for me to do what I do every day (you too): put on BB music and build the day of activity around it.

what happened to "long as we can all stay together"?

Separation anxiety...they do care about each other... Love
Jason
« Reply #338 on: September 22, 2012, 10:20:58 AM »

This has gone from constructive criticism to simple Michael bashing. It was known BEFORE THE TOUR BEGAN that it would go back to the way it was BEFORE THE TOUR BEGAN. This should never have come as a surprise to anyone, but Brianistas were never that perceptive.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 22, 2012, 10:29:24 AM »

I've skipped several pages so disregard any unintentional repetition. It is a none issue, Mike has the license by the others' consent. He agreed to the reunion tour, tour done, back to license. I don't see Mike breaking it up for selfish reasons. If he did and the others want to tour, they can modify the license situation when it comes due. For now Mike deserves the license, he has the license, he put up with a lot a crap to get the license. He also has a loyal band mostly sitting on the sidelines.

That said, I have to believe that if Brian really wants to tour it will happen just like the reunion tour because Brian gets what he wants and gladly. David has toured with Mike in the past. I don't know but Mike may not want to take on a certain member who caused considerable turmoil and probably crapped in his own license nest with the others. [co-Al-ugh] Mike's call while he has the license I suppose.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 22, 2012, 10:32:39 AM »

This thread goes from one extreme to the other....The Brianistas and Dr. Love Fan Club and as always the truth is in the middle somewhere.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 22, 2012, 10:34:29 AM »

Wouldn't it be great if this was just another trick that all of them are pulling on us again?  Just like Brian did to all of us all last year when he denied that a reunion would happen and how disinterested he was in participating in it?  What if this whole thing about Brian being disappointed is all another act just to get the media and fans off their backs so when they do reform in the future....it'd be another surprise and another huge success because we never thought it'd happen again. 

If this was all just one bit act...I say "bravo." Cool

Justin - you are such a passionate fan.  Bravo! To assume that anyone is "playing a trick on fans" presents is just foolish. Post the death of Carl, and the three way split, I think much growth took place with guys who leaned on one another from the inception of the band.  That is a good thing.  They now have a skillset that is enviable.  Each built a band and acquired business acumen.  And, as I mentioned earlier, it may be that the Touring Band had booked dates before the reunion happened.  There may be contractual obligations all around.  And, one can only imagine how exhausted they'd be, even if they were still in their twenties.

What cracks me up is that the Touring Band is now sought after - after enduring all sorts of slings and arrows about artistic selling out and diminishing the value of the music.  Now, all parties have seen that Mike built a great band, has extraordinary business sense, and has created good will (in the business sense) in a global context.  And even the old band, and by that I mean the Carl (full band era) had lean years but kept touring, which kept the music and the brand out in the public eye in a continuum.  A lot of the 60's and 70's bands have bitten the dust from sheer laziness and refusal to go with the flow with a change in markets.  And fans have become very faithful annual (or more) spectators. 

But, I'm not on Facebook so I can only read what might be posted here for information.   I wish that fans would let them sit down and take a rest, which always brings better decisions, coming back to the table to make good decisions.  Good decisions are usually not made when all parties are exhausted.  When people make the decisions free from pressure and with fire to work,  creativity abounds.  And each of them have skills where they can do some work and composing or lyrics or concepts, independently and bring them back to that mythical "Round Table."

They worked so beautifully together this summer. They were a joy to watch, and even more, to see their respective bands become so passionate in their concert work.  One could have only imagined the likes of Bragg and Cowsill, and Bennett and Totten and Gregory, Von Mertens, Nicky, and Mikey work together on a BB stage.  It was amazing.  Jeff I guess is a vice-principal.  LOL

For me, that video wall gave young and old a sense of history.  And that was the frosting on the cake.  They will probably get there, when they are ready to "Do It Again!"  Wink

All good points!  My little theory was just something that popped into my head...nothing that I am truly pushing as reality.  Just a fun little "what if" in the midst of all this he said/he said stuff.  Smokin

Like it or not, I do agree with Mike's plans that the reunion band should take a break.  I mean honestly, it's been a grueling 3 months....they deserve one.  The Mike and Bruce show will never go away...it's a permanent fixture so I'm cool with Mike and Bruce carrying on in the meantime.  I am just hopeful that Brian will still be interested next year in doing more shows.  I hope he hasn't soured on working more with Mike because of all this mini drama going on at the moment.  

I'm with you that this tour has been a joy to watch.  I was just watching some performances on YouTube last night and it got me missing seeing this band.  I hope I'll have another chance to party with them again soon.....
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 22, 2012, 10:35:25 AM »

This has gone from constructive criticism to simple Michael bashing. It was known BEFORE THE TOUR BEGAN that it would go back to the way it was BEFORE THE TOUR BEGAN. This should never have come as a surprise to anyone, but Brianistas were never that perceptive.

It was known, but I think most thought it was a strange decision. With Brian and Al also coming out now saying they think Mike should rethink it, it seems worse. Mike's doing this just kind of cheapens everything - the reunion, the album, his band, and any potential reunions in the future. If he and Bruce could tour under "The Beach Boys Band" or something, it'd be different.

Don't get me wrong - I see both sides of this. I still say Brian's people repeatedly posting articles about this strikes me as the same spiteful bullshit and hate-mongering they've been pulling for the last decade. It's embarrassing and hurtful to anyone in the fanbase with half a brain.

The whole thing is, as I said earlier, just depressing.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 22, 2012, 10:38:45 AM »

Not that you care, but I've always found the fact you so casually bash great sections of the people who come to this board -- when you serve as a moderator -- to be fucking disgraceful.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 22, 2012, 10:54:57 AM »

Not to sound hypocritical because I really don't take quotes from Beach Boys as fact ( I used to, for about 30 years), but, I want to hear from Melinda. During the tour, she and Mike's wife spent some quality time. I don't underestimate that.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: September 22, 2012, 11:00:06 AM »

Not that you care, but I've always found the fact you so casually bash great sections of the people who come to this board -- when you serve as a moderator -- to be f***ing disgraceful.

LET'S NOT FIGHT, GUYS!   group hug

Jason
« Reply #346 on: September 22, 2012, 11:01:57 AM »

Not that you care, but I've always found the fact you so casually bash great sections of the people who come to this board -- when you serve as a moderator -- to be f***ing disgraceful.

You're right. I don't care. I can take it as well as I dish it out. I'm sorry if I hit a nerve.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 22, 2012, 11:06:28 AM »

FAAAALL FRUSTRATION
BAAAAD VIBRATIOOONS
BUMMER WEEEATHEER
WE HATE EACHOOOTHER

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jason
« Reply #348 on: September 22, 2012, 11:09:11 AM »

FAAAALL FRUSTRATION
BAAAAD VIBRATIOOONS
BUMMER WEEEATHEER
WE HATE EACHOOOTHER

LOL

Well played, sir.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 22, 2012, 11:14:02 AM »

True.

But you can't defend Mike releasing the press release prior to the tour ending and apparently releasing it without even discussing it with the rest of the group

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 27 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx