gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:22:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which Do You Prefer?
Carl & The Passions: "So Tough" - 20 (20%)
Holland - 80 (80%)
Total Voters: 91

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #10: Carl & The Passions vs Holland  (Read 19668 times)
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2012, 05:56:11 AM »

And Jack Rieley was not the right voice to finish the job either.  His singing on Day in the Life of a Tree sort of worked but his narration here just sounds way too awkward. 

"He couldn't fine it, he couldn't fine it ..."

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2012, 03:33:13 PM »

My vote had to go with Holland.  I think both make up a fascinating period of the band with a significant change in sound and sheen (complete with the go-to songs to stump anyone who isn't a hardcore BB fan), a peak in democratic creativity, and a last look at the band before things started to unravel in many respects.  Much of Carl and the Passions has a nice harder edge to it, and although lacking cohesion at times it's a very good crop of songs all around.  I just think Holland represents the perfect blend of those elements with a Beach Boys-tinge to it, being easily one of their most consistent and cohesive efforts to my ears.  And out of all the twofers, this is the only one where I can definitely claim there's not a single song I really have any issue with.

The Trader
Steamboat
Marcella
Sail On, Sailor
You Need A Mess of Help to Stand Alone
Only With You
Funky Pretty
All This is That
California Saga: Big Sur
California Saga: California
Leaving This Town
Cuddle Up
Here She Comes
Hold on Dear Brother
California Saga: The Beaks of Eagles
He Come Down
Make It Good
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 10:13:43 PM by TimeToGetAlone » Logged
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2012, 08:19:05 PM »

I've been listening to "So Tough" a lot, lately. I love "Mess of Help", "Marcella" and Dennis' songs. I don't mind "All This" and "He Came Down". But as a whole the album is too random and herky jerky. The Flame tracks don't fit in. Sounds like a musical spin-off episode.

I think Holland is a pretty solid album. There aren't any songs on it I don't like, really. Even the motherfucking bird poem track (not slander, I mean the mother eagle mates with her son...gross). The Flame contribution (Leaving This Town) is a favorite of mine. Synth solo is sound of a group in key with the times, not the looking back with love stuff that came afterwards. Like Steamboat, love Only With You, I'm okay with Funky Pretty, dig Big Sur regardless of whether it's 3/4 or 4/4, enjoy Trader. I like the whole record.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2012, 03:41:22 AM »

Holland.

Honk! Honk!
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2012, 04:57:24 AM »

I've been listening to "So Tough" a lot, lately. I love "Mess of Help", "Marcella" and Dennis' songs. I don't mind "All This" and "He Came Down". But as a whole the album is too random and herky jerky. The Flame tracks don't fit in. Sounds like a musical spin-off episode.

I never really understand what people mean when they say this. I think it flows amazingly well, and the fact there are two songs each from four different 'teams' gives the record a beautiful symmetry. There are Flame tracks on Holland too.

Holland and Surfs Up both have much worse sequencing (SDT stuck in the middle/all of Brians songs bunged on the end/EP awkwardly shuffled into the sleeve etc), and it's not like any seventies Beach Boys record post Sunflower sound like they were recorded at the same time, using similar techniques.

The one thing I would say, is that my original UK pressing of c and the p sucks, audio wise. Really murky mastering. Judging by the cd, the production/mix is as good as Sunflower
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2012, 05:26:01 AM »

The one thing I would say, is that my original UK pressing of c and the p sucks, audio wise. Really murky mastering. Judging by the cd, the production/mix is as good as Sunflower

yeah, Cuddle up is SOOOOO quiet on my original UK pressing.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2012, 05:38:28 AM »

I wonder if the US is any better? Could explain even more why it got dismissed at the time.

"Hey guys, heres our new album! We mastered it through a sock and issued it as a twofer with the best sounding mono pressing of Pet Sounds!"
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2012, 05:44:29 AM »

I wonder if the US is any better? Could explain even more why it got dismissed at the time.

"Hey guys, heres our new album! We mastered it through a sock and issued it as a twofer with the best sounding mono pressing of Pet Sounds!"

Is yours the two-fer version then? I was wondering if that sounded any better, but obviously not...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2012, 06:20:20 AM »

Is yours the two-fer version then? I was wondering if that sounded any better, but obviously not...

So was I! Anyone know?
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2012, 06:45:51 PM »

My vote had to go with Holland.  I think both make up a fascinating period of the band with a significant change in sound and sheen (complete with the go-to songs to stump anyone who isn't a hardcore BB fan), a peak in democratic creativity, and a last look at the band before things started to unravel in many respects.  Much of Carl and the Passions has a nice harder edge to it, and although lacking cohesion at times it's a very good crop of songs all around.  I just think Holland represents the perfect blend of those elements with a Beach Boys-tinge to it, being easily one of their most consistent and cohesive efforts to my ears.  And out of all the twofers, this is the only one where I can definitely claim there's not a single song I really have any issue with.

The Trader
Steamboat
Marcella
Sail On, Sailor
You Need A Mess of Help to Stand Alone
Only With You
Funky Pretty
All This is That
California Saga: Big Sur
California Saga: California
Leaving This Town
Cuddle Up
Here She Comes
Hold on Dear Brother
California Saga: The Beaks of Eagles
He Come Down
Make It Good

I love those lists of yours, TTGA, they are always so interesting in the context of these 2-fer discussions. And moving "Mess of Help" up that list is just the way to make me love 'em even more... As much as I love Dennis' work, can't quite see "Steamboat" this high, I can see it right under "All This Is That." One of my fave I-Tunes playlists for the BB's has the sequence "Marcella"/"SOS" (instrumental version)/"Mess of Help." Rock the casbah with the boys!! Definitely whets the appetite for a full-on rock record from them...can they pull it off??
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2012, 10:32:07 AM »

[/quote]

All bits of music on the Mount Vernon And Fairway EP are totally, totally brilliant. Like, Smile fragments level of brilliant. I'd like to have seen them developed into full songs, but it was seemingly beyond Brian to develop them further at that point - I have to imagine that's partially why he opted to develop them in the context of the fairy tale thing. The results of him further developing "Better Get Back In Bed", "Lazy Lizzie", was pretty dreadful, although that was a couple years later. Still, maybe it was for the best.

The "Radio King Dom" part you speak of is indeed probably the best fragment among them, although like I said, I think they're all great.
[/quote]

What is "Lazzy Lizzie"?  Is it "BGBIB"'s remake or something? I've always enjoyed the BGBIB bed part. I think it's one of my favorite parts. Carl's vocal and the keyboard part supporting him. Not to mention how they transition out of his vocal part.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2012, 03:49:35 AM »

What is "Lazzy Lizzie"?  Is it "BGBIB"'s remake or something? I've always enjoyed the BGBIB bed part. I think it's one of my favorite parts. Carl's vocal and the keyboard part supporting him. Not to mention how they transition out of his vocal part.

Lazy Lizzie is a song written/demoed by BW in the late 70's - Love You/Adult Child era. It used the Better Get Back In Bed bit as it's chorus with new lyrics/verse. These lyrics are about cruising for schoolgirls. It's a crap song.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2014, 02:14:57 AM »

I love both albums, but gotta go with Carl And The Passions: "So Tough".

Why? You can blame the California Saga for me choosing against Holland.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2014, 09:14:31 AM »

Holland is just more a solid album all the way through IMO
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2014, 03:40:58 PM »

Holland.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2014, 05:38:14 PM »

I'm not surprised at all that Holland is beating CATP. Still prefer listening to CATP, however.

The only bad songs between the two are He Come Down, Steamboat, Big Sur (The unreleased version is so much better) and The Beaks Of Eagles.

Maybe it's because of the lack of Dennis on Holland vocally, I don't know. But to me, CATP will always be better than Holland.
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2014, 10:10:52 PM »

Quite close but Holland wins it for me.

Carl and The Passions is a great album but is too short and some songs drag on forever.
Holland is just amazing. Each song creates a mood. Even Beaks of Eagles is great.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2014, 05:32:39 AM »

Holland----purely because i listen to it all the way through.

At the risk of being banned, I think So Tough would have made a great single: "Marcella" b/w "All This Is That"...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx