gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:51:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 73: Royal Albert Hall - London, UK 9/27/12  (Read 107919 times)
G.C
« Reply #150 on: September 28, 2012, 12:14:23 PM »

Does anyone else wish they'd been able to attend this instead of the reunion gig in your area?

Yeah...  Sad
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 28, 2012, 03:18:10 PM »

"In My Room"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLdyw8_l7Ho

"Isn't It Time"  (listen to the new break/bridge...Mike does a new descending vocal line for "And as the sun goes down another...")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Ot1783eog

"California Girls"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwoNdbJmonU

"Do You Wanna Dance" "Surfin' USA"  (such an infectious crowd...you can't help but smile when they're dancing to "Surfin USA")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI2dlFwEh48

"Dance Dance Dance" , "Darlin"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlkssje-iw8

"God Only Knows" "Good Vibrations"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqQOFGo2dfg

"Do It Again"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7XAHNRbMN8
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:41:55 PM by Justin » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: September 28, 2012, 03:49:57 PM »

Thanks for that, what a great crowd!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 28, 2012, 05:20:07 PM »

Thanks to Lowbacca who posted this in the media section. From RAH:

One of the best Brian pics in recent memory.
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 28, 2012, 06:27:36 PM »

Got chills listening to Summer's Gone (though it sounds like they could have run through it a few more times  LOL) Thank you, littlepad!

The Smile Sessions to Summer's Gone. What a year it's been.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 28, 2012, 11:03:45 PM »

Wow 61 songs with SG as a second encore.....

Wow! 61 songs! That's incredible.

I'm wondering if that has to be the best BB setlist - ever.

Almost best setlist...no Surf's Up, Long Promised Road, Feel Flows, Trader, Funky Pretty, Day In the Life of a Tree, River Song...

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 29, 2012, 04:19:58 PM »

If they had to release just one concert on home video, I hope THIS is the one.

I mean playing 61 songs at such a well known venue as the Royal Albert Hall, that's just begging for a DVD release.  CAPITOL MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 29, 2012, 05:00:45 PM »

I'm now wondering if in this show they played every single song they officially ever played live in this tour.
I can't think of any song that was played before but not played at this show (beside a bit of Salt Lake City).
 Wasn't there a thread keeping track of this? 

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 29, 2012, 05:30:20 PM »

I'm now wondering if in this show they played every single song they officially ever played live in this tour.
I can't think of any song that was played before but not played at this show (beside a bit of Salt Lake City).

I believe you are right.

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 29, 2012, 05:41:15 PM »

Wasn't there a thread keeping track of this? 

I think that's the case...they completely emptied their arsenal for this show.  A great idea considering it was looking like the UK audiences were getting dissed by almost not getting to see any shows at all.  A great payoff for them.
G.C
« Reply #160 on: September 29, 2012, 06:18:10 PM »

I would like a video of Our Prayer.

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 30, 2012, 02:02:28 AM »

I will have something up soon.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 30, 2012, 10:01:18 AM »

Sorry to bump the bread but I'm still floored by what we experienced this night.

I've seen Mike sing in a virtual whisper (Glasgow) and one night when he and Bruce probably only managed half the leads between them.

And I've seen Brian on poor form (Hampton Court anyone?) and good form (the Manchester Gershwin show).

But at both these UK shows the principles were singing like the 80s 90s and 00s never happened.

Foskett's doubling act was never less essential.

Everyone sang incredibly well.

Ecstasy.

“We live in divisive times.”
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 30, 2012, 10:02:54 AM »

Sorry to bump the bread but I'm still floored by what we experienced this night.

I've seen Mike sing in a virtual whisper (Glasgow) and one night when he and Bruce probably only managed half the leads between them.

And I've seen Brian on poor form (Hampton Court anyone?) and good form (the Manchester Gershwin show).

But at both these UK shows the principles were singing like the 80s 90s and 00s never happened.

Ecstasy.
Want.... Royal Albert Hall... DVD.......  Cry
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: September 30, 2012, 10:03:41 AM »

God, why can't I have a copy in any form of all of this? The setlist still does my head in. What a great end to the tour these two shows must've been...
G.C
« Reply #165 on: September 30, 2012, 11:22:42 AM »

I will have something up soon.

Great!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 30, 2012, 11:27:42 AM »

Ecstasy.

Was Brian the same Brian that we see in the Wembley videos from the following night?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Ted
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 30, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »

Ecstasy.

Was Brian the same Brian that we see in the Wembley videos from the following night?
If anything, he was in even better form at Royal Albert Hall. His demeanour that night was unlike anything I've seen elsewhere.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: September 30, 2012, 03:21:41 PM »

Facebook:

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 30, 2012, 03:50:08 PM »

Interesting...

Love took over lead vocals for infectious versions of “California Girls” and “Surfin’ USA” – but the last word went to Wilson, walking out for an unannounced encore while Love gestured in the wings that it was too late, this shouldn’t be happening. Ignoring him, Wilson sang the best song he wrote for That’s Why God Made the Radio, the twinkling lament “Summer’s Gone”. Love slunk back on stage, bent on this occasion to his cousin’s will. “We’ll see you next time,” Wilson announced brightly at the end. Mark tonight up as a Brian victory.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/08213fc4-0972-11e2-a5e3-00144feabdc0.html#axzz27zp3cN5x

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 30, 2012, 03:52:26 PM »

Interesting...

Love took over lead vocals for infectious versions of “California Girls” and “Surfin’ USA” – but the last word went to Wilson, walking out for an unannounced encore while Love gestured in the wings that it was too late, this shouldn’t be happening. Ignoring him, Wilson sang the best song he wrote for That’s Why God Made the Radio, the twinkling lament “Summer’s Gone”. Love slunk back on stage, bent on this occasion to his cousin’s will. “We’ll see you next time,” Wilson announced brightly at the end. Mark tonight up as a Brian victory.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/08213fc4-0972-11e2-a5e3-00144feabdc0.html#axzz27zp3cN5x

I don't buy it.  Like I'm sure the band didn't rehearse the hell out of that song and have it planned and ready.  Not to mention there was a video ready to roll for the screen where the images matched what was being sung.  Nothing impromptu about it.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 30, 2012, 04:25:26 PM »

The whole story. The writer just seemed to want any excuse to put the boot into Mike it would seem.

The Beach Boys, Royal Albert Hall, London
By Ludovic Hunter-Tilney

The Beach Boys’ 50th anniversary reunion has taken an unhappy turn. Mike Love, legal owner of the band’s name, has dismayed his fellow founding members Brian Wilson and Al Jardine with plans to continue touring as the Beach Boys without them next year. With extraordinarily insensitive timing the pair learnt they were fired last week, before the reunion tour was even over.
Thursday’s near-four-hour show at London’s Royal Albert Hall was the penultimate date. It was a strange and fascinating occasion, far from the schmaltz-fest I had feared. Alongside the joyful hits about sun, surf and girls lay exposed the band’s counter-history of power struggles and mind games – with Love in his traditional role as villain and Wilson in his as troubled creative genius.
The reunion tour, which follows the new album That’s Why God Made the Radio, is the first Wilson has played with the Beach Boys since his mid-1960s breakdown. He sat on one side of the stage at an electric keyboard tricked out to look like a grand piano. Across from him were arranged Love, Jardine and two long-standing 1960s affiliates, guitarist David Marks and keyboardist Bruce Johnston. Absent, other than in photos and film projections, were the two missing Beach Boys, Wilson’s dead brothers Carl and Dennis.
The bulk of the music was played by Wilson’s touring band, a nine-piece adept at conjuring the cosmic symphonies of his heyday: fidelity to the original spirit of the Beach Boys extended to the drummer adopting the same unusual open stance as Dennis Wilson. Their vocal harmonies and vibrant musicianship gave the antique surf-pop maestros a magnificent backing.
They needed it. Wilson’s keyboards were inaudible and his voice, while fairly vigorous, was a shadow of its old self. He was animated when he sang lead vocals; inert when not. Meanwhile Love – head slowly sweeping the stalls as though calculating the potential merchandise take – provided a compulsive display of showbiz insincerity. Not a verse went by without a crocodile smile, an unctuous wave or a finger pointed at some special person in the audience. Meanwhile his vocals were low in the mix, as though by some surreptitious act of sabotage.
The odd atmosphere was heightened by Love’s jibes at the backing musicians, making fun of keyboardist Darian Sahanaja’s surname and bridling when Wilson suggested he introduce a musician before a song: “You’re going to call on me to introduce your buddy?” But after the interval a remarkable transfusion of energy took place.
They returned with a succession of songs from Wilson’s songwriting peak, when despite being warned by you-know-who not to “f*** with the formula” he turned the Beach Boys into psychedelic sophisticates. “Heroes and Villains” lit the touchpaper with its pell-mell harmonies while “I Just Wasn’t Made for This Time”, well sung by Wilson, ended with a standing ovation. The audience stayed on its feet for the next hour; Wilson was clearly buoyed by the reaction.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 30, 2012, 04:33:17 PM »

Not sure why but watching all the videos from this gig and the Wembley one....I get the weird feeling that Mike is sort of entering "Brian's land" by performing there in the UK.  I get a weird vibe between the audience and Mike.  This article sort of represents that unfair biased a lot of people seem to have towards Mike.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 30, 2012, 04:47:11 PM »

Not sure why but watching all the videos from this gig and the Wembley one....I get the weird feeling that Mike is sort of entering "Brian's land" by performing there in the UK.  I get a weird vibe between the audience and Mike.  This article sort of represents that unfair biased a lot of people seem to have towards Mike.

Brian's solo tours generated a lot of positive coverage over there.  It brought Brian new fans, I'm sure, in addition to long-time Beach Boys fans.  There's now a bias there tilting towards Brian. I'm not saying it's a totally bad thing and Brian and his band deserve credit for putting on good shows over there and getting that good coverage which resulted in the bias.  If Mike had made that press release while the American tour was winding down, I'm not sure it would have been as noticed.  I'm sure the American press wouldn't have conflated it into Mike sacking/firing Brian and Al.  That also goes back to the sensationalism of the entire British press.  Not to mention the fact they still have a press, which America no longer has as much of due to cutbacks in all areas of print and online journalism.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 30, 2012, 06:04:12 PM »

All that being said, “You’re going to call on me to introduce your buddy?” does sound pretty jackass-y.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx