gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:23:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another UK Appearance - Later On Jools Holland BBC TV  (Read 36710 times)
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2012, 02:35:22 PM »

TWGMTR was ok, but let's see what else they play in the longer edition of the show later this week
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2012, 02:35:57 PM »

Disaster
Vocally a little shaky here and there, but very lively. And Brian & Bruce very audible.  Smiley

Lively?  A fair few smiles, but smiles evocative of the ol' Holywood/Vegas/showbiz circuit… didn't exactly get the impression that the smilers were enjoying themselves, though BW himself seemed more settled than in recent TV appearances,. I guess The BBs is a comforting environment for him.  Which is a good thing.

“We live in divisive times.”
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2012, 02:38:25 PM »

Disaster
Vocally a little shaky here and there, but very lively. And Brian & Bruce very audible.  Smiley

Lively?  A fair few smiles, but smiles evocative of the ol' Holywood/Vegas/showbiz circuit… didn't exactly get the impression that the smilers were enjoying themselves, though BW himself seemed more settled than in recent TV appearances,. I guess The BBs is a comforting environment for him.  Which is a good thing.
It's been my favourite TV performance of TWGMTR so far. Far from perfect, of course.
And I'd really like to know whose idea the "Babs Ann" thing was... maybe Holland talked Mike into it?
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2012, 02:39:37 PM »

here's Barbara ann for a quick listen

http://soundcloud.com/frederickjamesfrench-pounce/barabara-ann-live-on-later

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2012, 02:42:19 PM »

Thanks. I kinda like that Brian's all over this, but where are the other guys? Al's lost in the mix, as Manning* pointed out.

*By the way dude, that bw.com link in your signature doesn't work (anymore).
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2012, 02:48:02 PM »

I think it's cool that Brian is perfectly audible on "Barbara Ann"...nice rendition.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2012, 02:59:03 PM »

One for the family album

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2012, 02:59:56 PM »

They really need to team up and rip into Shortnin' Bread.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2012, 03:04:36 PM »

One for the family album

F*CK...yeahh!!!!
DJole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2012, 03:13:41 PM »

Do It Again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfoyxinft6o&feature=plcp

That's Why God Made the Radio:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXXFtr5RC64&feature=plcp

Wink
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2012, 03:19:58 PM »

Sounds pretty good. Foskett's a little flat at times, but it could be due to bad monitoring. Brian sounds pretty on throughout Barbara Ann. Agree that Al could've been louder.

Just great to see them still together & functioning at this point!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2012, 03:25:29 PM »

Seeing it again I can only repeat myself: best TV performance of TWGMTR so far.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2012, 03:31:41 PM »

That's not saying much  Wink

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2012, 03:39:07 PM »

That's not saying much  Wink
Well it's Brian and the Beach Boys on TV so the expectations are looooow to begin with... thus, any okay performance is a good performance (see Brian's last stint on Holland's show).
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2012, 03:47:50 PM »

One for the family album

F*CK...yeahh!!!!

It only took him 70 years, but Brian finally figured out how to smile in a photo.  :-)

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2012, 04:03:11 PM »

I thought the Jools and Brian on piano bit during Barbara Ann was pretty awesome.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2012, 04:07:16 PM »

Yeah, that sounded the same as every other performance of "...Radio": Teeting on the edge of going off the rails but just barely holding together. This one was mixed a bit differently, but same quality of performance. I think part of the problem, as I've probably said elsewhere, is that it's one of those songs without one single lead vocalist throughout. So it ends up sounding messy, with a bunch of guys popping in and out in unison, then some harmony, etc. Every TV show seems to mix Al down, and then realize he has the sort-of solo line "in my car", and punches his vocal up just soon enough to be a bit too late.  LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2012, 04:11:48 PM »

I thought the Jools and Brian on piano bit during Barbara Ann was pretty awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnobZToKXYQ

Also at mention of '25 years being half way through' (the 50th).

Bruce..."We're not through at all"
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:19:23 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2012, 04:18:59 PM »

Thanks!

Quote from: Sam_BFC
That was pretty neat, yeah. And I also don't think the boys sounded bad without the backing guys, it's just that playing "Barbara Ann" when you have a slot for 3 songs on such a show seems kinda... dumb.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2012, 04:31:19 PM »

Yeah, that sounded the same as every other performance of "...Radio": Teeting on the edge of going off the rails but just barely holding together. This one was mixed a bit differently, but same quality of performance. I think part of the problem, as I've probably said elsewhere, is that it's one of those songs without one single lead vocalist throughout. So it ends up sounding messy, with a bunch of guys popping in and out in unison, then some harmony, etc. Every TV show seems to mix Al down, and then realize he has the sort-of solo line "in my car", and punches his vocal up just soon enough to be a bit too late.  LOL

Bingo.

I'll just add that, difficulty as a live track aside, they still don't seem to perform it with the greatest level of confidence after 4 months, IMHO. That is, it's still tentative. Their body language almost seems to say, "We know this is our a latest offering that we hoped would be a smash, but we'll be glad when we don't have to do it ever again."...lol.

On the contrary, slight raggedness and mixing issues aside, it was kind of cool to see them do Barbara Ann in its original "unplugged Party" style, as nature intended, with the harmonies as the main attraction. I've always wished they would do it in concert like this, other than just as the dumb token rocker sing-a-long.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2012, 04:55:21 PM »

Re: TWGMTR It's pretty bad. Not horrible, but not very good in the slightest. If they sound like this doing it live, I shudder to think of how much studio trickery went into making it sound like it does on the record.

On the plus side, the guys look good.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2012, 05:01:29 PM »

Watching these videos kinda made my day. After all the sh*t I've reading these last few days. Seeing them together, made me remember why I love these guys so much and why I cherish this reunion. I thought TWGMTR was ok and DIA and BA were very good, if lacking in the mix department a little bit. It's remarkable that a pro music show such as this could not put together a professional mix of the band (granted, it's a tough group to mix).

I also LOVED watching Brian here. Looking great after the back proceeding.

Here's to many more years of these guys making music together.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2012, 05:07:59 PM »

One for the family album

Did anyone notice after TWGMTR that our Johnny boy couldn't stop clapping our boys ?
Listen to his shows on BBC Radio , he really has a love for great music ( and butter ) bless him 
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2012, 05:38:46 PM »

Re: TWGMTR It's pretty bad. Not horrible, but not very good in the slightest. If they sound like this doing it live, I shudder to think of how much studio trickery went into making it sound like it does on the record.

I truly do believe it's moments like this where Carl is missed the most as the live glue that held things together.

My feeling is that he would've whipped this one into game shape from the get-go, which in turn, would've erased any tentativeness right from the start. The song probably would've been built around a lead vocal by him, as well as obviously having him as one of the anchors in the harmony stack to help prevent things from teetering on the edge or falling apart -- even as layered and more difficult as the song might be to execute live for the guys this late in the game.

Carl nearly always had the band on the right foot with new material for TV performances. Think something like virgin tunes such as "KTSA" and "Goin On'" as they were performed on Fridays in 1980, and which were taped right around the time they started performing the songs live. Those might actually surpass the studio versions.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2012, 06:55:44 PM »

Carl nearly always had the band on the right foot with new material for TV performances. Think something like virgin tunes such as "KTSA" and "Goin On'" as they were performed on Fridays in 1980, and which were taped right around the time they started performing the songs live. Those might actually surpass the studio versions.

Yeah they do!  "Keepin' the Summer Alive" live on Fridays really rocks.  I actually watched that performance before ever  hearing the studio version, and boy, what a let down after hearing it sound so good before.

Edit: Oh, and back OT, "Barbara Ann" was pretty cool.  Sounded good with a light-hearted sense of fun (as "Barbara Ann" should)!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 07:06:52 PM by Generation42 » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx