gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:20:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ISN'T IT TIME SINGLE VERSION (BBC Radio 2) LISTEN NOW  (Read 47820 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: September 05, 2012, 04:35:22 PM »

Personally, I think that was an anomaly.  But, truth be told, whatever is 'better' is usually subjective. Oddly enough, some really good singers sound worse when pitch correction is used.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 06, 2012, 01:59:23 AM »

To summarize, I worked with autotune in my college class, we had the least talented and most talented singer do a take, and the autotuned take of the lesser singer ended out winning voting for the better vocal.

It's a talent killer.

I've actually had extensive experience with auto-tune in the real world, and I can safely say not always.

Well, nothing is ever 100% with recording, but you get me.

I think it's important to note that there is a big difference between tuning a vocal carefully (for instance using a tool like Melodyne) and simply putting an autotune plugin (such as Antares Evo) on a track, letting it automatically correct the pitch.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 06, 2012, 04:09:55 AM »

I like "Isn't It Time". I think it's a good song, almost a very good song. Not a great song, though.

I also can totally see why it was chosen as a single. Other than "Spring Vacation", which should've been the first single BACK IN THE SPRING, "Isn't It Time" sounds like your typical single.

However, I really wish they would've taken "Summer's Gone" and gone in that direction. Not ALL of the Beach Boys' singles have to be these happy, bouncy, fast songs. Go for a different mood; the other side of Brian Wilson. He nailed the vocal on "Summer's Gone". They got the sound that they wanted (I think). It's a nice length for today's singles. I can hear it on the radio. It actually might've touched some people. It touched us didn't it? More than "Isn't It time"?

I think sometimes they outhink themselves.
I couldn't agree more about "Summer's Gone."  The timing is right with the calendar and it's a great record.  Now, I understand that at roughly 4:41,it's a bit on the longish side for radio prammer's tastes, but as it satnds right now, a radio edit which fades at just around 4:05 would sound great and save a good chunk of airtime.  If one has to push it, some of the faded-in intro could be excised and you'd end up with near a minute less, in total.

God, I mean, film a tasteful promotional film for the record and shop it around to VH1 or somesuch and who knows?
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 06, 2012, 05:12:23 AM »

People who think Summer's Gone would work well as a single need a serious reality check
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 06, 2012, 05:44:12 AM »

Is there a release date for the single yet?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 06, 2012, 07:48:54 AM »

People who think Summer's Gone would work well as a single need a serious reality check

Depends. If you're talking about 'We're gonna go to number 1', sure it would be a bad choice. But then again, The Beach Boys aren't going to number one. I bet you Isn't It Time won't bother the charts.

But, Summer's Gone is arguably the best song on the new record, it's a gorgeous song divorced from it's context, and if you made the single a decent product with bonus tracks or special packaging etc (ie, what singles used to be), then Summer's Gone would be a great single.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 06, 2012, 10:45:21 AM »

Depends. If you're talking about 'We're gonna go to number 1', sure it would be a bad choice. But then again, The Beach Boys aren't going to number one. I bet you Isn't It Time won't bother the charts.

But, Summer's Gone is arguably the best song on the new record, it's a gorgeous song divorced from it's context, and if you made the single a decent product with bonus tracks or special packaging etc (ie, what singles used to be), then Summer's Gone would be a great single.

I think with a cool,dark video,(ala:Hurt ,Johnny Cash) I think "Summers Gone" would make a great single. maybe a black and white video of Brian standing on the shore looking out at the waves or something like that..
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 06, 2012, 11:50:47 AM »

I'll have to agree withe people who say Summer's Gone is not singles material. To these ears the only songs that might work as singles other than Isn't It Time are Daybreak and Shelter. Anyway, let's keep in mind- the new single version of Isn't It Time is to help promote the new Greatest Hits packages arriving at the same time, not to promote TWGMTR.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 06, 2012, 03:46:25 PM »

Naw, c'mon, just as hype said, we (or at least I, in my thinking for my post above where I was agreeing with Sheriff) are not necessarily talking about the group taking a run at the toppermost here, so much as thinking outsite the box, stating the case for maybe a more subtle thing than that altogether (and not for nothing, though I'd really like to see it happen for the group, I think anyone harboring ideas of "Isn't it Time" shooting up the charts are probably the ones more in need of said reality check).  I know my message about trimming the song for time doesn' sound 'out of the box-y,' but I figure some compromises would likely be required to get the thing on the airwaves.

And you know what?  "Summer's Gone," as has been said, is one of the two or three very best pieces on the LP, and if unexpected chart success is your cup o' tea, I'd think one could do far worse.

josh, that was pretty much my first thought for a promo film, too (my sound synesthesia has always seen this number in shades of B+W, though I imagine most anyone sees these shades when hearing this song - maybe some deep blues), although I'd welcome other ideas, too.

And after all this, I have to concede to krab that you have a point when you say "let's keep in mind- the new single version of Isn't It Time is to help promote the new Greatest Hits packages arriving at the same time, not to promote TWGMTR," although one doesn't necessarily preclude the other.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 06, 2012, 08:11:02 PM »

100% agreed.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 06, 2012, 09:42:20 PM »

I think "Strange World" would have made a great single.

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 07, 2012, 12:30:13 AM »

I don’t think this is bad. And i think it can be greatly improved with the mix. This doesn’t sound like a final mix. It also sounds heavily compressed. I am so relieved that that stupid rock guitar overdub from the NPR show (or whatever show that was) didn’t make it onto this, phew. With the exception of the bass only being in one channel now (the double tracked panned bass on the album version is a really great touch) i like the first verse better now. The high hat in the chorus is a great addition, as is the organ throughout. The chorus now “rocks” in a really great way without being rock at all, which is awesome. The harmonies in the intro are totally unnecessary though. The song already had a great start coming in with the vocals. They really should have left in the harmonies going into the bridge. Mike’s delivery on the bridge isn’t the best really (and it really needs to be turned up in the mix, as well as all his bass vocals throughout) but it still beats Jeff. Almost anything beats Jeff. You have to hear the bridge a number of times to get used to it, i think. Man, Al is a beast of a vocalist, good God. Anyway, the only egregious thing is the fucking embarrassing Auto-Tune. Dear important people who read this forum to gauge fan reaction: please kill the Auto-Tune while you still can. PLEASE. Thanks.

Re: Summer’s Gone as a single: 5 words: Lana Del Rey Video Games. Goodnight.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: September 07, 2012, 12:46:46 AM »

I think "Strange World" would have made a great single.

I do, as well. Sometimes when I listen to the new album, it's my favorite song.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 07, 2012, 02:23:02 AM »

I realllly like "Strange World."  Just quirky enough and it's very catchy.

In fact, I liked it and the rest of the suite numbers enough that, upon first hearing them, I took a few minutes to mock-up some picture sleeves for my fantasy singles.  In this case, I cropped a stock photo of the Santa Monica pier and edited in a couple of changes (if you look closely, you'll make out the band name and track title).

« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 10:45:20 AM by Generation42 » Logged
Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: September 07, 2012, 04:33:08 AM »

this is from Fri 31 Aug 2012 - Melbourne park, Australia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQQI4LnpqoY&t=9m9s Isn't It Time
pretty solid performance imho
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 04:36:22 AM by Jaco » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: September 07, 2012, 12:24:46 PM »

I think Strange World sounds very 90s, in fact like a theme song from a 90s Prime Time newsmagazine like Dateline or 20/20.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 07, 2012, 12:31:26 PM »

"Strange World" has a 90s Disney vibe. Like, from the movies I used to watch on VHS when I was a kid. I don't think it would make a good single at all. Nice album cut, nice precursor to the suite.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 07, 2012, 02:52:53 PM »

Re: Summer’s Gone as a single: 5 words: Lana Del Rey Video Games. Goodnight.

I couldn't find the original, only this cover: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5SNOAcD3ak

I'm not sure what this has to do with "Summer's Gone" at all.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: September 07, 2012, 09:05:26 PM »

"Strange World" has a 90s Disney vibe. Like, from the movies I used to watch on VHS when I was a kid. I don't think it would make a good single at all. Nice album cut, nice precursor to the suite.

I don't get the Disney vibe, except for 'Strange World after all' making me thing of 'It's a Small World'. I do get the 90s feel. though, esp. on the guitar. Kind of a Martin Page, 'In the House of Stone & Light' kind of trip.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: September 07, 2012, 09:32:53 PM »

Well, I haven't followed this thread since my last post. But after listening to the new version - at times drunk which really isn't too unimportant - I have to say that I've changed my mind (although what I've previously said still imo is valid). The only thing that's really awful is the effect/sound they put on Al's voice in the chorus. And the Brian/Jeff intro. Otherwise it could be a hit. It feels like a hit, it sounds like a hit and it's the freaking Beach Boys. That should guarantee a big one imo. Even some of the parts that I didn't like on the album version sound more radio friendly on the single version. I'm not saying it's perfect but yeah... these boys deserve another big single hit and this one sounds like  it could be just that

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 07, 2012, 09:37:20 PM »

I dig the new clarity this brings to the song. The only thing that really bugs me are the effects on Al's vocal and the "lovers" bit.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 07, 2012, 09:54:59 PM »

I dig the new clarity this brings to the song.

Strange - sounds worlds more muddled than the album mix, to me. IMO!#$

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 08, 2012, 08:30:37 AM »

Eight (9?) words: the worst edit of BB song for single. Ever.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 08, 2012, 10:57:11 AM »

I dig the new clarity this brings to the song.

Strange - sounds worlds more muddled than the album mix, to me. IMO!#$

I suppose I mean certain aspects. The vocals sound sharp, and besides the poorly mixed bass so do many other aspects.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 09, 2012, 12:28:19 AM »

Wow, here's an "interesting" review from the ESQ guy, via his Examiner spot;

http://www.examiner.com/review/new-beach-boys-single-loses-its-swagger?CID=examiner_alerts_article

Pretty cool.  Razz

I agree with David's message at the end of the article.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx