-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:01:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  When Mitt Romney becomes president.... *FLUX THREAD!*
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: When Mitt Romney becomes president.... *FLUX THREAD!*  (Read 194377 times)
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2012, 01:21:10 PM »

Apparently Wouldn't It Be Nice is a song played at one or more than one Mitt Romney rallies.

No mas, por favor.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2012, 05:04:49 PM »

I can't think of a worse song than "Wouldn't It Be Nice" played at rallies for any politician.  I don't think any politician should play songs unless they get permission from the artists involved. I doubt most artists, especially successful ones, want to alienate fans by taking sides.  If the music artist disagrees with the views represented, it actually brings negative publicity when campaigns are asked to stop playing songs because the singer or band in question objects.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2012, 06:56:47 AM »

Obama has not earned a second term; Romney does not merit a first. Tired of the same old? Consider the quixotic campaign of Libertarian Party nominee Gary Johnson.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2012, 07:22:05 AM »

If Mitt Romney becomes President, God help you all.

And I'd consider the fact that Barack Obama has been for the most part crippled by the Republicans controlling both houses recently before you lay on him too strong, but I bet every day he stalks around the White House kicking that dog for not doing more when he had majorities. He might not be the Messiah, but he's not MITT FUCKIN ROMNEY. Which would be my motivation to vote Democrat if i lived in the states.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2012, 08:23:48 AM »

Obama has not earned a second term; Romney does not merit a first. Tired of the same old? Consider the quixotic campaign of Libertarian Party nominee Gary Johnson.

Oh God, nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2012, 09:37:37 AM »

A few things about Gary Johnson:

1) Started a one man fix it outfit in 1974 with self as sole employee. He employed over 1000 people when he sold the business 20 years later. THAT is a classic real job creator rather than a vulture capitalist OR a community organizer.

2) Served two terms of Gov of New Mexico to results generally respected and acclaimed: a balanced budget achieved without tax hikes. Unlike Obama or Romney, Johnson has a record of true fiscal success. In addition, Johnson's two terms as Gov give him more exec  govt experience than Obama and Romney combined.

3) Johnson is a fiscal conservative and a relative liberal on social issues. He has the courage to take a position neither Democratic nor Republican would: legalize, regulate, and tax marijuana, then see law enforcement expenditures, crime, and the deficit all go down.

I'm not an uppercase Libertarian, rather an alienated centrist who has never voted for a third party or independent candidate before, yet I am delighted at the prospect of not voting for Obama or Romney this November. A throwaway? Maybe so, but if enough people reject the dogma and flat out garbage both parties are offering, then positive change may be the result.

Gary Johnson in 2012 

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2012, 10:18:47 AM »

Johnson, as far as I'm concerned, has a particularly monstrous ideology and supports shifting power from the public to private tyrannies. He opposes Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. His Libertarianism also makes him anti-child labor laws, believing it would be fine to put 10 year olds to work for a few dollars an hour. These are heinous, barbaric, and dangerous views, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:30:39 AM by rockandroll » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2012, 11:58:33 AM »

Apparently Wouldn't It Be Nice is a song played at one or more than one Mitt Romney rallies.

Abso-fucking-lutely sickening. "Wouldn't It Be Nice?", Pet Sounds and basically anything Brian or the Beach Boys has ever touched are so far removed from the kind of mentality that goes into this campaign. Love, kindness, innocence - these are the things that come to mind when I think of "Wouldn't It Be Nice?" Romney and co. could not be further removed from those things outside of maybe doing something like taking to the streets with flamethrowers or something. I wouldn't put something like that past them if he ever gets into office.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2012, 12:04:47 PM »

And I'd consider the fact that Barack Obama has been for the most part crippled by the Republicans controlling both houses recently before you lay on him too strong, but I bet every day he stalks around the White House kicking that dog for not doing more when he had majorities. He might not be the Messiah, but he's not MITT f***IN ROMNEY. Which would be my motivation to vote Democrat if i lived in the states.

That's what's so f***ed up anymore. It feels like the vast majority of people of any kind of intelligence are voting not for someone they think can do a decent job, they're just voting AGAINST the obscenely evil asshole that has a chance of winning. It's all they can do to keep things totally f***ed up and out of hand, as they are now, because they know it could be ten times worse with the other guy. That's damn scary and sad.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Paulos
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2012, 01:49:37 PM »

Johnson, as far as I'm concerned, has a particularly monstrous ideology and supports shifting power from the public to private tyrannies. He opposes Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. His Libertarianism also makes him anti-child labor laws, believing it would be fine to put 10 year olds to work for a few dollars an hour. These are heinous, barbaric, and dangerous views, in my opinion.

I hear that Gary Johnson drinks smoothies made from aborted foetuses and plans to burn all the clinically obese citizens for fuel.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2012, 02:08:41 PM »

I hear that Gary Johnson drinks smoothies made from aborted foetuses and plans to burn all the clinically obese citizens for fuel.

You're right, 10 year olds should be paid an hourly wage.
Paulos
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2012, 02:17:58 PM »

Well, if they're working they should be paid right?
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2012, 02:46:38 PM »

Well, if they're working they should be paid right?

They shouldn't be working - that's what child labor laws are about, not about securing wages for children.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2012, 05:13:11 PM »

I don't want to tell you what to think, but wouldn't it be better if Ron Paul ran as the third candidate? With a libertarian, or constitution party member as the running mate?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2012, 06:25:44 PM »

I don't want to tell you what to think, but wouldn't it be better if Ron Paul ran as the third candidate? With a libertarian, or constitution party member as the running mate?

Mate, its a two party system. Jesus Christ could run as an independent candidate and struggle in the US.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
GreatUrduPoet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2012, 09:31:39 AM »

You know the guys would just totally take the gig, too.

I know that playing the White House is an honor, but I could see these guys welcoming in Romney at his inaugural, and it really flips my wig.  Sometimes, sometimes, I have these moments where I am pulled away from the art, where I just realize the total discrepancy between myself and these fellows.  Mind you, with most of the bands I love, I don't have this problem.  Ever.  Now I realize that every one of the band members live in a tax bracket I'm likely to never even sniff, and I'm sure that living one's life in abject luxury every day must have it's effect, but I honestly don't believe it's the money, per se (even with other acts as absurdly wealthy and successful as the Beach Boys that I enjoy - my beloved Beatles, for example - I don't have this issue), but man, the more I think about it, there's something that just rubs me the wrong way with some of the things I see and hear.  Though I do get a positive feeling, in this regard, from Brian and (very much) from Al, I just can't shake the feeling that the most relatable fellas in the band are the ones who are already gone.

The plus side is that the guys have been generous with thier musical output, and as far as I can tell, have taken some very positive steps over the past few years to give the fans what we want to hear (something the folks over at NIRVANA, LLC could stand to learn from), leading to things like my high hopes for Made in California. I really don't mean to bad-mouth anybody.  I know nobody's perfect.  I love the music.  I suppose I just feel that since some of the group have been millionaires for so long (with at least one never knowing finacial hard times at all), that they make it seen as though they are really out of touch with the common man.  Honestly, I'm not bitter, and I'm probably making a mountain out of a mole hill, but it just hits me sometimes.

Maybe I'm the only one.

Would you be saying all this if they played at the White House for the 'common man' Barack Obama?

At least the man has known a life without a father, and upbringing in impoverished Jakarta and yet he still made himself into the man he is today by perseverence and academic excellence (somehow he managed to get into Harvard from nowhere). The alternative, Mitt Romney comes from a wealthy family with a strong political history.

I find it funny that people would want to put Obama down as a out of touch, when he, like Bill, cam from nowhere and did it all. The republicans are far more dynastic.

Funny story about HOW Obama got into Harvard:

http://www.nevilleawards.com/obama_harvard.shtml

Also interesting that EVERY SINGLE ONE of Obama's other academic records are all now sealed.
Of course John Kerry's military records are still sealed to the pubic as well...yes, even now in 2012,
EIGHT YEARS after his failed Presidential run.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 10:00:08 AM by GreatUrduPoet » Logged
GreatUrduPoet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2012, 09:36:52 AM »

And I'd consider the fact that Barack Obama has been for the most part crippled by the Republicans controlling both houses recently before you lay on him too strong, but I bet every day he stalks around the White House kicking that dog for not doing more when he had majorities. He might not be the Messiah, but he's not MITT f***IN ROMNEY. Which would be my motivation to vote Democrat if i lived in the states.

Er...the Democrats have had control of The U.S. Senate since 2006 (at least on this planet). Try again.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:49:40 PM by GreatUrduPoet » Logged
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2012, 01:27:36 PM »

planning on voting for barak again? he definitely deserves another spin in the oval office.  Roll Eyes

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/04/national-debt-democratic-national-convention_n_1855311.html

The national debt has soared during Obama’s presidency, increasing more in his first three years and two months on the job than during George W. Bush’s eight-year presidency, according to CBS News. Still, Obama says he's working to slash the deficit. His budget proposal predicts that the debt will decline this year and drop by somewhere between $500 billion and $700 billion in the next 10 years.

No mas, por favor.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2012, 01:41:22 PM »

planning on voting for barak again? he definitely deserves another spin in the oval office.  Roll Eyes

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/04/national-debt-democratic-national-convention_n_1855311.html

The national debt has soared during Obama’s presidency, increasing more in his first three years and two months on the job than during George W. Bush’s eight-year presidency, according to CBS News. Still, Obama says he's working to slash the deficit. His budget proposal predicts that the debt will decline this year and drop by somewhere between $500 billion and $700 billion in the next 10 years.

Good. Now can you explain why the debt increased during Obama's first three years?
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2012, 02:13:43 PM »

Good. Now can you explain why the debt increased during Obama's first three years?

because obama did jack  sh*t to cut government spending.

pretty obvious if you can put 2 + 2 together.

when an entity spends more money than they bring in, it increases debt.

it's george bush's fault the obama administration spends so much money, right?  Roll Eyes

No mas, por favor.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2012, 02:31:54 PM »

because obama did jack  sh*t to cut government spending.

Actually, under Obama, government spending has risen at a 1.4 percent annualized pace, slower than at any time since the 1950s. In reality, he has done more than the last four Presidents to curb government spending.

it's george bush's fault the obama administration spends so much money, right?  Roll Eyes

No - just trust your factually incorrect instincts.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 02:33:01 PM by rockandroll » Logged
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2012, 02:40:17 PM »

Merely out of curiosity, rockandroll: assuming you live in the US, who would you vote for (if at all)?
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2012, 02:42:11 PM »

See page two.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2012, 07:01:03 PM »

Mate, its a two party system. Jesus Christ could run as an independent candidate and struggle in the US.

In this political climate, Jesus Christ would be considered way too liberal to win.  Roll Eyes
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2012, 09:35:02 PM »

Funny story about HOW Obama got into Harvard:

http://www.blablabla

Also interesting that EVERY SINGLE ONE of Obama's other academic records are all now sealed.
Of course John Kerry's military records are still sealed to the pubic as well...yes, even now in 2012,
EIGHT YEARS after his failed Presidential run.

Steve Stills: "Paranoia strikes deep..."

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: