gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 03:05:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Smile' or 'Pet Sounds'  (Read 8278 times)
mr_oleary
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 05:06:10 PM »

Apples & oranges.

Agree completely.  PS is all about visceral beauty, the other-wordly type sounds that only a few musicians in history have the ability to hear and write down.  I would give anything to be in the studio when those tracks were being recorded.

Smile is more intellectual and imo interesting, but musically isn't as pristine.  It's a trip, in more than one sense of the world, through the consciousness of classic Americana.  Each song (and parts with songs) are almost like paintings or snapshots of a story.  I think VDP's lyrics are really impressive as well.

So in short, what Mikie said.  For me, PS is about pure beauty in sound and Smile is more about an interesting story.  
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 05:14:44 PM »

Apples & oranges.

I like apples more than I like oranges. Just because two things are totally different doesn't mean you can't compare and contrast.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 06:03:19 PM »

I think I'd go with Pet Sounds, slightly. If Smile was fully completed and realized and sat right after Pet Sounds in their discography, I'd probably go with Smile, but again, it's hard to say because it wasn't fully realized at the time. I LOVE TSS and can't stop listening to it, but I also can't stop listening to Pet Sounds. I find joy and newness each time I listen to both of them.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 06:05:35 PM »

Smiley Smile  Grin

No mas, por favor.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 06:26:20 PM »

First off, its spelled SMiLE! Smiley   But I would go with SMiLE by a mile personally. Even in its unfinished state it is fantastic.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 06:34:42 PM »

First off, its spelled SMiLE! Smiley

It isn't nice to lie ;(

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, 08:32:50 PM »

First off, its spelled SMiLE! Smiley

It isn't nice to lie ;(

The truth? Yeah, I was terrified for my brother.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2012, 08:44:58 PM »

SMILE  is an experience.  Pet Sounds is for the heart.  At least it was for me in 1966 and thereafter.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2012, 01:50:45 AM »

Smiley Smile  Grin

well, if Smile had not been scrapped, there would be no Smiley Smile or Wild Honey for sure. So I'd prefer it like it is today rather than just having a Smile. Stories that are too blissful dont attract me anyway ;]
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2012, 09:26:38 AM »

If I had to choose between any other two Beach Boys' albums - any other two - I could do it fairly easily. But, I just can't do it with Pet Sounds and SMiLE. It's like choosing your favorite kid; you can't do it.
Reddiwhip
Smiley Smile Associate

Pop those buttons right off of my shirt

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2012, 09:52:21 AM »

If I had to choose between any other two Beach Boys' albums - any other two - I could do it fairly easily. But, I just can't do it with Pet Sounds and SMiLE. It's like choosing your favorite kid; you can't do it.

Very apt description of the way I feel.

"Big Sur?"  "Nope, big mama!"  "HAHAHAHA.  What the hell does that mean?"

While at port adieu or die
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2012, 10:15:33 AM »

This is quite literally the hardest decision I could ever make..

It really depends on my mood. At the moment I would choose "Pet Sounds", I've been listening to it a lot lately

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2012, 10:19:17 AM »

I prefer Smile, for its playfulness.

originals
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2012, 10:21:08 AM »

I prefer Smile, for its playfulness.

Cool
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2012, 11:52:13 AM »

Trim the fat off Smile a little and given a tighter edit, it could have bettered Pet Sounds. Maybe. As it stands Pet Sounds is the better record.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Paulos
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2012, 12:09:06 PM »

Pet Sounds easily, because no Smile album exists.
blank
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2012, 02:47:23 PM »

Wow, really great contributions by everyone on this thread...

it's true, it depends on the day, the mood, etc. but at the end of the day, I find that the more i try to analyze it and decide which one is the best, the less i enjoy the experience.

time to listen to Pet Sounds! (2006 Mono!)
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2012, 05:10:07 PM »

time to listen to Pet Sounds! (2006 Mono!)

'Atta boy.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2012, 06:41:17 PM »

Pet Sounds is my favourite album ever, SMiLE is my favourite piece of music in that it can take many different forms. Smiley
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2012, 07:44:22 PM »

Pet Sounds is my favourite album ever, SMiLE is my favourite piece of music in that it can take many different forms. Smiley

Exactly!  What I love about "Pet Sounds" is the emotional beauty of it.  The emotions and experiences that Brian & Tony Asher set to some of Brian's most incredible music are emotions and experiences that so many of us can relate to on such a personal level.  It's about growing up and being unsure of yourself...or your place in the world.  It's the hopes and fears of growing up...sort of like an extended "(When I Grow Up) To Be a Man".  It starts with the hopefulness of "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and ends with the emotional devastation of "Caroline, No".  It's perfect from start to finish.  I love the MUSIC of "SMiLE" so much...but it lacks that "complete package" that "Pet Sounds" has.  As the quote above says...it's a piece of music...a collection of different bits and pieces that can take many different forms...and that is completely fascinating.  That said....consider where Brian Wilson was at this point..."Pet Sounds" to "Good Vibrations" to "SMiLE".  Wow.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2012, 08:00:04 PM »

Exactly!  What I love about "Pet Sounds" is the emotional beauty of it.  The emotions and experiences that Brian & Tony Asher set to some of Brian's most incredible music are emotions and experiences that so many of us can relate to on such a personal level.  It's about growing up and being unsure of yourself...or your place in the world.  It's the hopes and fears of growing up...sort of like an extended "(When I Grow Up) To Be a Man".  It starts with the hopefulness of "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and ends with the emotional devastation of "Caroline, No".  It's perfect from start to finish.  I love the MUSIC of "SMiLE" so much...but it lacks that "complete package" that "Pet Sounds" has.  As the quote above says...it's a piece of music...a collection of different bits and pieces that can take many different forms...and that is completely fascinating.  That said....consider where Brian Wilson was at this point..."Pet Sounds" to "Good Vibrations" to "SMiLE".  Wow.

Definitely, the level of the body of work that Brian was creating in 66/67 alone is incredible, with the exception of The Beatles in their prime around the same time I don't think any other music artist/group has reached those peaks that they did at the top, and The Beatles had three brilliant songwriters to help each other out whereas Brian was for the most part leading the Beach Boys during their prime. God Only Knows, I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, Good Vibrations, Surf's Up, Wouldn't It Be Nice, Wonderful, Wind Chimes, Caroline No etc. Astonishing. Smiley
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2012, 09:10:06 PM »

Apples & oranges.

What does Pink Floyd have to do with it?

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2012, 06:34:04 AM »

Apples & oranges.

What does Pink Floyd have to do with it?

Well..."Apples & Oranges" was composed by Syd Barrett and Syd's life in some ways paralleled Brian's.   Wink

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2012, 07:09:46 AM »

I'm more of the hopeless romantic type, so I vote for Pet Sounds. Smile is more for the head than the heart. Nothing wrong with that; it's kept my head enterttained for many many hours. But- Pet Sounds is IT for me.

Pet Sounds, by a (S)MiLE) - SMiLE is a voyage; Pet Sounds is home.

Pet Sounds is the chicken; SMiLE is the egg.

The Pet Sounds Sessions CD is for me! Trombone Dixie and all the little pieces!  Wink
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2012, 07:30:27 AM »

Many really good comments and perspectives in this thread.

Both albums provide many great songs, taken individually. As far as listening to the entire album (well, perhaps TSS for SMILE), for me it just depends on the day.

Choosing 1 over the other is almost impossible but if I was ever forced to do so, it would probably be ... Pet Sounds ... by the slightest of margins.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx