gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:48:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - Songwriter: 1969 - 1982 [DVD] coming September 17.  (Read 25488 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2012, 01:31:51 PM »

By trailer I guess they mean "poorly chosen excerpt that isn't a trailer," but I'll still buy it...
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2012, 05:42:54 PM »

Weird 'trailer'.  LOL

Never heard the Kalinich track, though.
America I know You? It's on one of the Unsurpassed Masters (last volume I think) and then it finally got released a couple of years ago on cd. a great rare gem to add to your hardcore beach boys collection.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2012, 06:13:17 AM »

So I don't know if you guys have seen the documentary yet? Well, it's not a very good, I mean, it's ok, but there's really nothing revelatory about it (I guess as expected). I like the sequences where this guy analyses the actual music, and shows the theory on the piano. The only thing that bugs me about it is that he fails at certain points to use half steps when playing the songs' melody lines.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2012, 09:15:24 AM »

So I don't know if you guys have seen the documentary yet? Well, it's not a very good, I mean, it's ok, but there's really nothing revelatory about it (I guess as expected). I like the sequences where this guy analyses the actual music, and shows the theory on the piano. The only thing that bugs me about it is that he fails at certain points to use half steps when playing the songs' melody lines.

Is it anything like the first Songwriter documentary?
______

Judging from that 'trailer' I think I'll enjoy it very much. There was nothing revelatory about the first DVD in this series, but there were a lot of great anecdotes from people like Hal Blaine, Fred Vail, etc...as well as detailed song breakdowns by Philip Lambert. If it's anything like the first I can't wait to see it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2012, 12:54:05 PM »

______

Judging from that 'trailer' I think I'll enjoy it very much. There was nothing revelatory about the first DVD in this series, but there were a lot of great anecdotes from people like Hal Blaine, Fred Vail, etc...as well as detailed song breakdowns by Philip Lambert. If it's anything like the first I can't wait to see it.

There may have been some anecdotes, but the first 'Songwiter' DVD was a lot better IMO.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2012, 01:00:28 PM »

Wow this DVD is out of the blue...Hope it covers the rare session work Brian did in this period...Tim Curry, Jackie De Shannon, Johnny Rivers, Jan Berry Cool Guy

Now, we all know I don't know sh*t about Brian... but I do believe he didn't contribute squat to the songwriting of those sessions.

At least he did co-write with Jan Berry.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2012, 01:13:18 PM »

______

There may have been some anecdotes, but the first 'Songwiter' DVD was a lot better IMO.
what songs are discussed? any rarities?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2012, 03:18:39 PM »

______

what songs are discussed? any rarities?

Not really much rarities at all as far as I can remember, besides some Stephen Kalinich stuff (available on SOT of course). Oh, well, they talk about Adult Child and some of the songs from the album are featured, but like I said, nothing revelatory.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 03:33:49 PM by tansen » Logged

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2012, 07:39:25 PM »

Weird 'trailer'.  LOL

COMMENT:  The production company contacted me from England two months in advance of sending a "film crew" for an interview. Another call a month later firmed up the date plus we went over the line of questions he would be asking. The producer (and cameraman) was well prepared and interviewed me for four hours. Very good questions and follow-up questions.  Of course no one knows what winds up on the cutting room floor, meaning, how well you are represented after editing . . . but we shall all see it soon.

~swd 
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2012, 12:26:33 AM »

Weird 'trailer'.  LOL

COMMENT:  The production company contacted me from England two months in advance of sending a "film crew" for an interview. Another call a month later firmed up the date plus we went over the line of questions he would be asking. The producer (and cameraman) was well prepared and interviewed me for four hours. Very good questions and follow-up questions.  Of course no one knows what winds up on the cutting room floor, meaning, how well you are represented after editing . . . but we shall all see it soon.

~swd 
Thanks for dropping by to chime in.  Smiley

I'll get the DVD anyhow. I just think that with the heightened attention for the BBs and their musical genius this would be somewhat better promoted.  Tongue
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2012, 01:53:32 AM »

Weird 'trailer'.  LOL

~swd 

Oh, yeah, don't get me wrong Stephen, I'm loving the insight from both you and Domenic Priore - definitely some good information there. Perhaps I was hoping for more rare footage, more talk about Landlocked, and other rare material - the problem might be with me knowing too much already Wink.
I don't want to discourage anyone buying the DVD, it's definitely worth a watch either way.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2012, 05:18:20 AM »

Just finished watching this. I really enjoyed it, mainly because it was interesting watching a BB related doc that actually covered the Love You/Adult Child period (the latter albeit briefly). The doc may not be especially revealing to the hardcore fact nuts amongst us, but to the likes of me who never retains much of the finer points of the band's biog anyway, I found it highly enjoyable.

I particualrly enjoyed the extras section where Stephen Desper tells a great anecdote about Brian literally phoning in his production duties to a recording session (But Mr Desper - which recording was this? You don't mention it in the doc!). Fred Vail also talks in relative detail about the lost country album in this extras section.  

Question for board boffins: Has anyone heard this country album? I have a vague recollection of AGD describing it as dreadful but not sure if I imagined that.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 05:20:44 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2012, 05:27:25 AM »

I particualrly enjoyed the extras section where Stephen Desper tells a great anecdote about Brian literally phoning in his production duties to a recording session (But Mr Desper - which recording was this? You don't mention it in the doc!).

I think the story goes that it was Sail On Sailor, right?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2012, 07:12:22 AM »

Wow this DVD is out of the blue...Hope it covers the rare session work Brian did in this period...Tim Curry, Jackie De Shannon, Johnny Rivers, Jan Berry Cool Guy

Now, we all know I don't know sh*t about Brian... but I do believe he didn't contribute squat to the songwriting of those sessions.

Didn't mention songwriting in the original post, was expressing that it may cover the rare session work that he done. 3D

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 07:13:19 AM by Slow In Brain » Logged

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2012, 01:55:04 AM »

Yeah - in 1962 to 1964. Hence my qualification of those sessions.

Didn't mention songwriting in the original post, was expressing that it may cover the rare session work that he done. 3D

Title of the DVD is "Brian Wilson: Songwriter 1969-82", not "Brian Wilson: session singer 1969-82".  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 01:58:40 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2012, 06:10:06 PM »

Just finished watching this. Not bad, could have been worse. I'd actually love to just hear (most of) these participants talk at greater length, even without any musical bits.

The thing pretty much stops at 1977/78, then rushes through post-1978 in the last 10 or so minutes. I would have liked to see them discuss the early 80's period a little more, even aside from songwriting.

Funny how they are able to work a bit of actual original music in, including somehow "Life is for the Living", which is at least one item that they had to have pulled off of boots.

They are refreshingly frank about opinions on the albums, although I think in bashing "MIU" (rightly so, largely), I thought for sure they'd take a moment to point out and discuss "My Diane."

The discussion of "Love You" is appropriately confused in terms of what we're all supposed to think about it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 06:12:50 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mark Howell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2012, 06:12:16 PM »

I'm down.  The 62-69 one was amazing.  Waaaaaaay better than I was expecting when I bought it.
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2012, 06:40:27 PM »

Agreed with HeyJude.

Much like the first volume, I found this one engaging from first to last. IMHO, this series is the most thorough musical bio doc we are likely to get, with fairly in-depth takes on each album/major singles and their backgrounds, enhanced by some choice performance and TV lip-synch clips and some primary key (outside the inner circle) authoritative sources interviewed, who offer us mostly MUSICAL or album background insights, rather than just the gossipy or en familia stuff. Peter Ames Carlin, Stephen Desper, Philip Lambert (I love his insights on piano), Steve Kalinich, Fred Vail, Dominic Priore and David Sandler (whom I had never heard talk before about his relationship with Brian and Spring) guide us through the still fascinating journey of this period in BB history. This is a serious endeavor to get some of the extraordinary musical heritage and timeline right and on the record once and for all.

Loved hearing about 20/20, for example...I agree the ending was rushed after Love You and Adult Child. Agree, would like to hear all the extended interviews as extras.

I think this is an important release and I'm surprised that more people here are not picking up on it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:42:15 AM by PS » Logged
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2012, 07:28:12 PM »

Agreed with HeyJude.

Much like the first volume, I found this one engaging from first to last. IMHO, this series is the most thorough musical bio doc we are likely to get, with fairly in-depth takes on each album/major singles and their backgrounds, enhanced by some choice performance and TV lip-synch clips and some primary key (outside the inner circle) authoritative sources interviewed, who offer us mostly MUSICAL or album background insights, rather than just the gossipy or en familia stuff. Peter Ames Carlin, Stephen Desper, Philip Lambert (I love his insights on piano), Steve Kalinich, Fred Vail, and Dominic Priore guide us through the still fascinating journey. This is a serious endeavor to get some of the extraordinary musical heritage and timeline right and on the record once and for all.

Loved hearing about 20/20, for example...I agree the ending was rushed after Love You and Adult Child. Agree, would like to hear all the extended interviews as extras.

I think this is an important release and I'm surprised that more people here are not picking up on it.

Hopefully they'll eventually appear, as some of them did for the '62-'69 release.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2012, 07:30:58 PM »

I enjoyed it, I think the best comments were from Stephen.  The musicologist Phillip Lambert did not go into as much detail as he does on the first DVD.  I'm still no clearer on what exactly went down during the Spring era.   Fred Vail doesn't cry during this interview but looks like he might at one point.  Brian had a lot of down time during this period and that's certainly reflected here.  The next one will probably be more interesting if they keep doing them.
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2012, 07:47:18 PM »

I thought it was great.  Better than the first one in the series, but that may be because I am more fascinated by this period in the BB history.  Like many of the obsessed nut-jobs here (I use that term affectionately), I have read every book and darn near every post on this board so sometimes I get my hopes up that a new doc like this will have a whole bunch of new and revelatory info.  Of course it doesn't live up to those unrealistic expectations but it did have plenty of great info with people who know and understand the story well.  I really enjoyed Desper's, Lambert's, Kalinich's, Vail's and Priore's contributions.  It is great to have this period illuminated as all we mostly hear about is the big hit years.

I have an extra sealed dvd of this as well as an extra Wilson produced Kalinich cd if anyone want to do a bit o' trading.  PM if interested.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2012, 12:24:36 PM »

Is the American Spring and Equinox sessions mentioned at all in the doc?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2012, 03:25:20 PM »

Is the American Spring and Equinox sessions mentioned at all in the doc?

Yes, on Spring, mostly from Sandler, a bit about Brian being the third singer, Sandler being a musician as well, a little taste of Sweet Mountain and Sandler talking about Brian being willing to try things, some rare pix of long haired Brian and shirtless Sandler.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 07:44:54 AM by PS » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2012, 04:23:47 PM »

I want this! Gah, hate being broke...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2012, 05:29:59 PM »

I want this! Gah, hate being broke...

Help a Mod!!
If everyone here just donated 25 cents each, that would be enough, right?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx