gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681305 Posts in 27633 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 03, 2024, 05:28:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Suggested....er....'Non Official' Recordings  (Read 6963 times)
mrralan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 02:13:42 PM »

For solo Brian, Landylocked or Soul Searchin' are needed for the Paley sessions.

Are any tracks on Landylocked Beach Boy tracks or are they all Brian solo?
Jason
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 02:18:16 PM »

Most are Brian solo, but You're Still A Mystery, Soul Searchin', Out in the Country, and Back Home are Beach Boys tracks...but to add to the confusion, the first two are the Brian tracks with Beach Boys vocals flown in.
mrralan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 03:07:42 PM »

For the first two, I guess that's the closest we can get to Beach Boys versions.
Jason
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »

Pretty much. If I remember correctly (based on how Andrew Doe put it though I may have his data backwards), You're Still a Mystery, Soul Searchin' and Dancin' the Night Away as they appear on boots use the original Wilson/Paley tracks with the Don Was-produced Beach Boys vocals flown in. Don also produced tracks for those recordings, but no one has heard them.
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 05:05:18 PM »

The Vigotone 2-CD Smile set is still essential even though much of it has been replaced by the official Smile box and other bootlegs. The complete Sea of Tunes and Dumb Angel sets are required. Get the Boot is another required release. The Pegboy Landlocked/Adult Child is the best place to find those two collections. Leggo My Ego and Capitol Punishment are good compilations of Pet Sounds and Today/Summer Days sessions, respectively. For live bootlegs, look for the two Lei'd in Hawaii shows, the two 1968 London shows, the 1970 Seattle show with Brian subbing for Michael, the 1970 Big Sur Folk Festival gig, the 1971-72 Carnegie Hall gigs, the 1971 Syracuse gig, the 1971 Princeton gig, the two 1971 Fillmore East gigs, the 1972 Boston gig, and the 1973 Hartford gig for a good start. Everything after is for hardcores only.

For solo Brian, Landylocked or Soul Searchin' are needed for the Paley sessions. The Wilson Project, 21 Little Ones, and Come Back, Brian! are great for the second Landy period. It's Not Easy Being Green has a lot of early 80s demos. The demos for That Lucky Old Sun are required.

For solo Dennis, look for Denny Remembered.

For solo Michael, First Love and Unleash the Love/Mike Love Not War are good to hear.

Blondie Chaplin's unreleased album The Fragile Thread is a hidden treasure.

Bravo  Serenade group hug Drinking Buddies Smokin
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2012, 06:22:02 PM »

The only thing I can think of to add to this is the audience recording of the first RAH Smile gig as it's the premiere.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2012, 09:22:36 PM »

The only thing I can think of to add to this is the audience recording of the first RAH Smile gig as it's the premiere.

Royal Festival Hall

“We live in divisive times.”
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2012, 11:20:20 PM »

Royal Festival Hall

True.  Damn my acronyms Smiley
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2012, 11:47:27 PM »

My favorite collection of stuff that was mostly left unreleased at the time is the one commonly referred to as "Landlocked". Though isn't really an unreleased album, it sounds like a great album to me. I just cut "Til I Die" off the end and insert "Games Two Can Play" after "Take A Load Off..." I prefer that much to the Surf's Up album.

And of course the Paley sessions. Wonder though if they'd sound as good if the quality was clearer.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2012, 11:57:05 PM »

re: Paley Sessions Saturday Morning in the City and Soul Searchin' both sound good on GIOMH (despite what anyone says, they used the Paley instrumental tracks with some overdubs).
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2012, 01:21:11 AM »

The Paley sessions have to be released officially at some point. The quality of the songs/arrangements is far too high to be covered under tape murk.

Otherwise, yeah, TRBB's list is pretty spot - on. If a more car-crash vibe is your game, there's a soundboard of the 1977 Central Park show that beggars belief.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx