gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 05:47:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Track Talk #2: Country Air  (Read 8874 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2012, 09:25:25 AM »

'Country Air' for next song to discuss? Anyone?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 09:33:27 AM »

Some of the most beautiful humming and whistling ever put on tape

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 09:36:57 AM »

There was a guy named "Bellagio Insider" on the old Smile Shop board who claimed that the original "Air" segment was a piano variation on a section or two of "Country Air," and that he was there when Brian was conceiving the Elements. Of course, he was later revealed as a fraud, but that idea always sounded plausible to me.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 11:04:39 AM »

Love this song. Love the live version from the early 70s.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 12:14:09 PM »

Like everything else on Wild Honey, it's bitchin'. I love the buzzing bee organ, bleeding through tracks and Brian's high "sleeeeep" vocals over the crowing rooster. Groovy.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 12:57:45 PM »

One of the songs that really brought the group's music home to me, in the summer of 1989.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 01:21:44 PM »

There was a guy named "Bellagio Insider" on the old Smile Shop board who claimed that the original "Air" segment was a piano variation on a section or two of "Country Air," and that he was there when Brian was conceiving the Elements. Of course, he was later revealed as a fraud, but that idea always sounded plausible to me.

Didn't AGD have a similar theory? Or is I misremembering? Andrew?

“We live in divisive times.”
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 01:25:11 PM »

Beautiful song that achieves total sublimity when it underscores the visual image of Mike Love urinating on the streets of Paris.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 01:43:24 PM »

There was a guy named "Bellagio Insider" on the old Smile Shop board who claimed that the original "Air" segment was a piano variation on a section or two of "Country Air," and that he was there when Brian was conceiving the Elements. Of course, he was later revealed as a fraud, but that idea always sounded plausible to me.

Didn't AGD have a similar theory? Or is I misremembering? Andrew?

In the complete guide he mentions that the theory exists but doesn't say whether he believes it or whether there is evidence for it.  However, since 'Cool, Cool Water' was considered for inclusion in Wild Honey, it seems possible that Brian was considering doing something with the elements for this album, even if 'Country Air' had nothing to do with Smile.  But if he was, he didn't get very far since 'Cool, Cool Water' wasn't included and as far as I know there wasn't either an earth or fire track considered for inclusion for his album.

But 'Country Air' is a fantastic song.  As with most of Wild Honey, I think the more minimalistic production style emphasizes the soulful vocal performances.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 02:02:51 PM »

Uhhhhhhhh-huh, be-doo-be-dum....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 04:41:25 PM »

The only song on Wild Honey that I don't care for. Not bad or without merit, but I usually forget it exists.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 05:16:27 PM »

I'd love to know the technical information of how/why the organ or electronic blips are in the mix. Friends has a lot of similar *blips* in the mix too, like someone pushed a button on a muted track real quick and then pressed it back.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 05:18:16 PM »

Fuzzy organ speaker?

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 05:30:38 PM »

Fuzzy organ speaker?

lol fuzzy organ

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SBonilla
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 05:56:39 PM »

I'd love to know the technical information of how/why the organ or electronic blips are in the mix. Friends has a lot of similar *blips* in the mix too, like someone pushed a button on a muted track real quick and then pressed it back.
It sounds like the Chamberlain making those clicky/warbly sounds, especially on the lower held notes.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 08:23:54 PM »

Maybe my favorite song off my favorite album, though that changes of course!  Anyway, this like many other Beach Boys' songs, is unique and brilliant.  And so evocative - -I remember having WH on 8 Track and hearing this song in the countryside or woods and just being carried away.  And the tune still does that for me.

Come on!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 09:43:37 PM »

Once again a case of Beach Boys being ahead of their times. A pretty pastoral ballad during the height of the psychedelic era. We'd hear quite a few of these (not as great, though) in the following year from many big names.

This song succeeds in what Mother Nature's Son tries so hard to do. It takes the listener out to the woods. I can actually feel the cool morning breeze on the mountain every time this plays.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 10:30:44 PM »

One of my favorites on the WH album.  I put it right up there with Let the Wind Blow.  There's a similar vibe, real airy with lots of depth, but with a positive vibe.  I've heard the stereo fanmix circulating on the 'net, but it sounds very hissy and a bit warbley.  Obviously not from the greatest source.  I can't wait to hear a clean first generation stereo mix from the multis when it gets released. 
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 10:36:36 PM »

Has anyone else noticed that the "buzzy organ" sound is also present in the second section of "Can't Wait Too Long"?  You have to listen a little closer on that one.
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 09:08:06 AM »

A song that just puts one at ease.
I have this on a BB compilation (placed near Let The Wind Blow) and a few years back when a group of us were winter camping it came on at about 2 -3 am. when we were sitting by the campfire in the otherwise quiet woods with a brilliant clear and starlite night. A perfect setting for the song!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 09:10:02 AM »

People link this tune with Let The Wind Blow… in my mind it also fits well with Wake the World. I guess it's the 'rise and shine' theme, which also occurs in Barnyard. They're all good fresh air songs.

“We live in divisive times.”
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 10:14:02 AM »

People link this tune with Let The Wind Blow… in my mind it also fits well with Wake the World. I guess it's the 'rise and shine' theme, which also occurs in Barnyard. They're all good fresh air songs.

For me it feels Similar to Love to Say Dada and Little Pad. I can't put my finger on it but I wouldn't  be surprised if it was originally composed alongside dada i.e. during the latter stages of smile/as it transitioned into smiley.

AGD does favour the Air element theory from
 what I can  remember  of his posts on the subject.

Country Air is one of my favourite bb songs. So effortlessly breezy and beautiful. Impossible to grow tired of.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 11:07:15 AM »

I can't put my finger on it but I wouldn't  be surprised if it was originally composed alongside dada i.e. during the latter stages of smile/as it transitioned into smiley.

I think you are on to something there!!

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 01:36:48 PM »

Gosh, how could I forget Carl's "come on!" The best ever use of that particular pairing of words. I mean, the way he shouts it, it's just so "come on"! He makes the listener believe every word, all two of them.

Right up there in my Beach Boys top 3 moments, along with "good" and "deep and wide".

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 01:45:07 PM »

One of my favorites on the WH album.  I put it right up there with Let the Wind Blow.  There's a similar vibe, real airy with lots of depth, but with a positive vibe.  I've heard the stereo fanmix circulating on the 'net, but it sounds very hissy and a bit warbley.  Obviously not from the greatest source.  I can't wait to hear a clean first generation stereo mix from the multis when it gets released. 

that must be Brian's Baldwin organ, it's very prominent in the end of The Letter as well. It fits beautifuly on Can't Wait Too Long and Country Air. same sound that they used on Gettin' Hungry!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx