gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 09:56:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 320022 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #975 on: October 12, 2012, 10:29:15 AM »

I think it`s fair to say that price will change. They`d be lucky to sell 5 copies if it didn`t.
davywheatdyke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: October 12, 2012, 10:32:49 AM »

Anyone else thinking that there needs to be some serious goodies included with this set to justify the price tag? Compared to the SMiLE set with all its vinyl etc that price, if it proves even roughly correct would mean, a: substantially more than 6 discs b:some vinyl and a big hard back book included or c: a total rip off. Discs are cheap as chips- you can pick up a box set of Leonard Cohen's studio albums for less than 50 quid and it has 11 discs (admittedly it is hardly deluxe). An extra 60 quid for half as many discs and a wee book would not stack up. Or I may just be jibbering p!sh.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: October 12, 2012, 10:33:25 AM »

Previously done:
Wild Honey
Darlin'
Let the Wind Blow
Country Air

That leaves 4 out of 11 tracks that would have to have "extraction" mixes or a mono vocal extraction synched into a stereo track - Aren't You Glad, Love Just Once to See You, Boogalooed It and Mama Says.

Is there an official stereo mix of Country Air?

One of our members also created a kick ass extraction of "A Thing or Two"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR8ByKF5UR0

Damm good job!

thank u!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #978 on: October 12, 2012, 10:38:18 AM »

Anyone else thinking that there needs to be some serious goodies included with this set to justify the price tag? Compared to the SMiLE set with all its vinyl etc that price, if it proves even roughly correct would mean, a: substantially more than 6 discs b:some vinyl and a big hard back book included or c: a total rip off. Discs are cheap as chips- you can pick up a box set of Leonard Cohen's studio albums for less than 50 quid and it has 11 discs (admittedly it is hardly deluxe). An extra 60 quid for half as many discs and a wee book would not stack up. Or I may just be jibbering p!sh.

I'd be very surprised if that was the final price, it's just what it says. But it'd definitely come with a book and some goodies, if TSS is an indication.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: October 12, 2012, 11:33:45 AM »

I can't wait to place this box set right next to my Smile and Good Vibrations box sets

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: October 12, 2012, 11:46:33 AM »

I am sure the price will reflect the content. They might add a few £/$/€ on but essentially they won't put out something worth £30 for that price. I'd like to see more promotion of this box set though, I think there will probably be a few webisodes too.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: October 12, 2012, 12:55:03 PM »

Those "webisodes" are pretty annoying.

I'd love to see all that footage as one massive documentary

KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: October 12, 2012, 05:11:03 PM »

If the set is going to lump in the classics with the obscurities, it would be great if four discs were dedicated to a run through of the band's history in the most comprehensive manner yet. That wouldn't be asking for much, especially since you can run through every album post-Holland (except Love You), by providing just a single track.

The other two discs could then be the brand new rarities in chronological order. This would then be a truly great package for fans and super-fans alike.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #983 on: October 12, 2012, 07:11:54 PM »

A package of the band's history seen through only alternate takes/mixes/live versions of the usual tunes, as well as a smattering of unreleased tunes, a la The Beatles' Anthology and Elvis' Today Tomorrow And Forever sets, sure woulda been great.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: October 12, 2012, 07:17:22 PM »

A package of the band's history seen through only alternate takes/mixes/live versions of the usual tunes, as well as a smattering of unreleased tunes, a la The Beatles' Anthology and Elvis' Today Tomorrow And Forever sets, sure woulda been great.

That would be kind of cool, but I think they're going for a more definitive type market, and with alternates instead of the hit takes/mixes, the audience gets shrunk even further.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #985 on: October 12, 2012, 07:18:46 PM »

I agree completely. With the previous box set and multiple greatest hits packages, they really should have gone with alternate takes/mixes/etc. of the usual tunes we all have on numerous different compilations.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #986 on: October 12, 2012, 07:33:38 PM »

That would be kind of cool, but I think they're going for a more definitive type market, and with alternates instead of the hit takes/mixes, the audience gets shrunk even further.

I suggested this four days and three pages ago. There should/could be two boxes for two different audiences. One like the above mentioned one, and another encompassing the hits and key album tracks. The Beach Boys deserve two boxed sets.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: October 12, 2012, 07:39:12 PM »

They're going for a larger audience, but the audience that buys box sets these days would be into the unreleased stuff, and the casuals would just buy the double CD hits collection. But hey, if this new set turns out to be an upgrade of the GV box, ala The Monkees' Listen To The Band/Music Box sets, that's cool.

lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #988 on: October 12, 2012, 07:45:34 PM »

I agree with Spaceman again on this.

Any newcomer who is interested in hearing the Beach Boys is going to either download or purchase something like 50 Big Ones to give them a chance. See if they like anything on it and if they do, start checking out albums based on the songs they dig. Those people aren't going to walk in to a store and spend $100+ on a box set to see what the fuss is about. The only people that are going to go out and spend $100+ on a box set are fans who already own the hits and most/all of their albums.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: October 13, 2012, 02:58:50 AM »

I agree with Spaceman again on this.

Any newcomer who is interested in hearing the Beach Boys is going to either download or purchase something like 50 Big Ones to give them a chance. See if they like anything on it and if they do, start checking out albums based on the songs they dig. Those people aren't going to walk in to a store and spend $100+ on a box set to see what the fuss is about. The only people that are going to go out and spend $100+ on a box set are fans who already own the hits and most/all of their albums.

Well said that man.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #990 on: October 13, 2012, 07:35:59 AM »

It's still 76 euro in my distribution system at work. That's without taxes.
Should be close to a 100 dollars if it doesn't change (just like the release date)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #991 on: October 13, 2012, 08:52:56 AM »

In fairness, at the time of the GV box, I personally knew casual fans who became serious fans on the basis of an impulse buy of that set. But it simply isn' that way any more, sadly. The era of the mass purchase of CD boxes is long over.

Nicko1234
« Reply #992 on: October 13, 2012, 09:20:58 AM »

One of the big selling points of the previous box set was obviously the first official release of Smile.

This box is going to be a tougher sell as At the Hop and I`ll Bet He`s Nice (demo version) are unlikely to have the same pull.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: October 13, 2012, 09:28:15 AM »

One of the big selling points of the previous box set was obviously the first official release of Smile.

This box is going to be a tougher sell as At the Hop and I`ll Bet He`s Nice (demo version) are unlikely to have the same pull.

This is certainly true, however as long as it is available in some format these otherwise useless demo's and excerpts might gain the band and label some profit rather than none at all. This I think is the reason why Capitol is pushing for a release of all available material. This was perhaps the last high profile year The Beach Boys will ever enjoy, putting out everything now is a good call by Capitol imo. Over the coming years these new releases will have a low, yet steady selling rate and will be a good source of income over time. They don't need to chart in order to do that.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #994 on: October 13, 2012, 09:28:32 AM »

Then make it a limited edition deal just for the fans, the million other comps are more than enough for the causal listeners

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #995 on: October 13, 2012, 11:25:34 AM »

I love how we've already decided that this box set will fail. We don't even know what's going to be on the thing yet!

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Jason
« Reply #996 on: October 13, 2012, 11:27:28 AM »

We are all Phil Cohen.

Mr. Doe, tear down this wall (of secrecy).
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: October 13, 2012, 12:38:30 PM »

We are all Phil Cohen.

He seems to have dissipated recently - maybe we've sub-consciously been trying to fill in for him...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #998 on: October 13, 2012, 01:34:43 PM »

This is actually the perfect time for Phil to be around.

Even I'm surprised we've hit mid October with no news

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: October 13, 2012, 01:46:12 PM »

We are all Phil Cohen.

Mr. Doe, tear down this wall (of secrecy).

Who are you, Ronnie Raygun?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx