gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681490 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 12:53:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 322679 times)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: October 09, 2012, 06:56:09 PM »

Mark Linett said this on a Facebook thread I saw - regarding Wild Honey - the album - in stereo.

"WIld Honey the song is in stereo for the first time on 50 Big Ones as is "Darlin" , but some of the songs on the album would be impossible to do in true remixed stereo because only some of the lead vocals exist on the multi-track. On several songs the group recorded the vocals for the first verse , mixed that verse down and then recorded the next verse vocals over the first ones mixed that verse down and so on. I want to say maybe a third of the album has this problem"

A Thing Or Two and Here Comes The Night are definitely two of those, from the evidence of the Unsurpassed Masters volume with Honey sessions.

Hmm. I'd think that those would be available, being that they were able to put rough stereo mixes of all of the verse vocal overdubs on SOT.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: October 09, 2012, 06:59:12 PM »

Please, in the name of all things holy, let Mama Says be exempt from this problem!!!!!!

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: October 09, 2012, 08:55:27 PM »

Mark Linett said this on a Facebook thread I saw - regarding Wild Honey - the album - in stereo.

"WIld Honey the song is in stereo for the first time on 50 Big Ones as is "Darlin" , but some of the songs on the album would be impossible to do in true remixed stereo because only some of the lead vocals exist on the multi-track. On several songs the group recorded the vocals for the first verse , mixed that verse down and then recorded the next verse vocals over the first ones mixed that verse down and so on. I want to say maybe a third of the album has this problem"

Well....

I...

Am...

Devastated....

Well, this clears up a lot of things, actually. Linett and company did say that they went through the archives recently to see what still exists and such....I guess we might not be seeing some of these albums in part of the latest remastered crop because an alternate mix version simply can't exist.

That said, there's still no reason to not have mono-only reissues of Surfin' Safari, Wild Honey, etc.
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: October 09, 2012, 09:16:16 PM »

In 1993, we had the original 2-fers, Sony/Epic albums, Endless Summer, Spirit of America, Made In USA, and maybe the Absolute Best series available by the time the Good Vibrations Box Set appeared. It sold pretty well despite having all of those other releases out there.

Not to be a downer but, in 1993 people were buying CD's at a much higher clip.
I bet that has been taken into account and the units adjusted. Most diehard fans will make the purchase.

I'm not convinced by that.  If the box is mostly released stuff with a smattering of new rarities, I would think the majority of fans would simply download the tracks they don't have, either legitimately or not rather than buying the full boxset.
If no profit is to be made, then why is Capitol comitting to it? Just to be nice guys? You don't think they know what needs to be sold to make a profit? Do you really think they would release it if they know it will lose money?

I think Capitol know exactly what they are doing and I believe there will most likely be a lot of previously unreleased material.  I was responding to the post that die hard fans will buy it regardless of what's on it.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #954 on: October 10, 2012, 12:11:16 AM »

So what does this ultimately mean?  He says that "some of the songs on the album would be impossible to do in true remixed stereo."  But of course, not all of the stereo versions on the new remasters are "in true remixed stereo."  So do they give us something that approximates true stereo, and if so, will it sound better than the mono?
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: October 10, 2012, 12:11:32 AM »

I'll be drinking a lot tonight

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: October 10, 2012, 01:11:52 AM »

Link to FB thread please?

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: October 10, 2012, 01:14:28 AM »

So what does this ultimately mean?  He says that "some of the songs on the album would be impossible to do in true remixed stereo."  But of course, not all of the stereo versions on the new remasters are "in true remixed stereo."  So do they give us something that approximates true stereo, and if so, will it sound better than the mono?

It really depends on your mileage. Most of the 'fake' stereo mixes on the remasters are limited to one or two songs per album. They are also limited in sound quality. So, Mark might be uneasy with presenting a finished stereo mix of an album that, for the most part (and bear in mind this album is only 25 minutes long, so a third is quite a lot relatively) would be inferior or of lesser quality than he would like to present as a professional. That's nothing against his mixing skills, but just the reality of presenting extraction mixes.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #958 on: October 10, 2012, 01:28:12 AM »

Please, in the name of all things holy, let Mama Says be exempt from this problem!!!!!!

There are no lead vocals on Mama Says.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: October 10, 2012, 03:29:24 AM »

This is not really new information, I mean, wasn't it in Preiss's book where Jim Lockert describes this mixing process?  The only question was for which tracks is this true.  The only problem would be if, as it seems might be the case, the powers-that-be cling to some desire for absolute uniformity in these releases.  You know, like, they all have to perfect mono then perfect stereo.  Oh no, you know, like, Bull Session with Big Daddy can't be remixed to stereo, cancel the Today! remix.

So here's what you do for the Wild Honey reissue:  put out a great mono remaster followed by a presentation of every song that it's possible to do a decent stereo remix of.  On the songs where it's not, do a stereo remix of the parts you can and either just let the track play out without vocals, or go back to mono.

I've never understood the selective perfectionism keeping these things from coming out.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: October 10, 2012, 03:49:03 AM »

So do they give us something that approximates true stereo, and if so, will it sound better than the mono?

I find it weird that mono is seen as a 'problem'

All of the new stereo mixes are interesting, don't get me wrong, but none of them will ever replace the original versions. It'd be like repainting the mona lisa because there was a new type of paint that didn't crack, and calling it an improvement.

Ted
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: October 10, 2012, 04:17:32 AM »

So do they give us something that approximates true stereo, and if so, will it sound better than the mono?

I find it weird that mono is seen as a 'problem'

All of the new stereo mixes are interesting, don't get me wrong, but none of them will ever replace the original versions. It'd be like repainting the mona lisa because there was a new type of paint that didn't crack, and calling it an improvement.
No. Repainting the Mona Lisa would be equivalent to re-recording the songs. Try again.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #962 on: October 10, 2012, 04:37:54 AM »

This is not really new information, I mean, wasn't it in Preiss's book where Jim Lockert describes this mixing process?  The only question was for which tracks is this true.  The only problem would be if, as it seems might be the case, the powers-that-be cling to some desire for absolute uniformity in these releases.  You know, like, they all have to perfect mono then perfect stereo.  Oh no, you know, like, Bull Session with Big Daddy can't be remixed to stereo, cancel the Today! remix.

So here's what you do for the Wild Honey reissue:  put out a great mono remaster followed by a presentation of every song that it's possible to do a decent stereo remix of.  On the songs where it's not, do a stereo remix of the parts you can and either just let the track play out without vocals, or go back to mono.

I've never understood the selective perfectionism keeping these things from coming out.

Exactly. Simple solution: Present a full mono remaster, and then simply tag on the tracks that are capable of being mixed to true stereo at the end. That is, if one truly is uncomfortable with doing extraction mixes or full-track sync-ups where, and if applicable.

I mean, who says there's a law that *each* track has to be presented, respectively, in mono and stereo on these remasters, and that the limitations above should somehow preclude a remaster from coming out? Assuming that they would continue on with the rest of the albums, it's a moot point anyway, in terms of uniformity, starting with the subsequent album.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 04:39:37 AM by Dave Modny » Logged
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: October 10, 2012, 02:48:31 PM »

They didn't hesitate to do an extraction mix or two on other albums, why stop with Wild Honey?

Tracks that could be mixed into stereo, based on the Sea of Tunes boots:
I Was Made To Love Her
Thing or Two
Here Comes the Night

it's possible that some of these would be centered vocals with a stereo instrumental track, but so what?  That's still stereo.

Previously done:
Wild Honey
Darlin'
Let the Wind Blow
Country Air

That leaves 4 out of 11 tracks that would have to have "extraction" mixes or a mono vocal extraction synched into a stereo track - Aren't You Glad, Love Just Once to See You, Boogalooed It and Mama Says.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: October 10, 2012, 02:50:35 PM »

This is not really new information, I mean, wasn't it in Preiss's book where Jim Lockert describes this mixing process?  The only question was for which tracks is this true.  The only problem would be if, as it seems might be the case, the powers-that-be cling to some desire for absolute uniformity in these releases.  You know, like, they all have to perfect mono then perfect stereo.  Oh no, you know, like, Bull Session with Big Daddy can't be remixed to stereo, cancel the Today! remix.

So here's what you do for the Wild Honey reissue:  put out a great mono remaster followed by a presentation of every song that it's possible to do a decent stereo remix of.  On the songs where it's not, do a stereo remix of the parts you can and either just let the track play out without vocals, or go back to mono.

EXACTLY!!

For fucks sake just make the album sound better

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: October 10, 2012, 04:19:05 PM »

You know what would make this boxed set rule? If it only featured non-album tracks and unreleased tracks. That would make it a great companion piece to the recent reissues. I mean, there's nobody that really wants to here "Surfer Girl" followed by an obscurity. It doesn't satisfy the die-hards who know the album tracks oh-so-well, nor does it satisfy the novices that simply want the hits.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #966 on: October 10, 2012, 04:20:41 PM »

Previously done:
Wild Honey
Darlin'
Let the Wind Blow
Country Air

That leaves 4 out of 11 tracks that would have to have "extraction" mixes or a mono vocal extraction synched into a stereo track - Aren't You Glad, Love Just Once to See You, Boogalooed It and Mama Says.

Is there an official stereo mix of Country Air?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: October 10, 2012, 06:24:58 PM »

Previously done:
Wild Honey
Darlin'
Let the Wind Blow
Country Air

Not official. It is (was?) up on youtube albeit in crappy quality.

One of our members also created a kick ass extraction of "A Thing or Two"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR8ByKF5UR0
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #968 on: October 10, 2012, 06:50:34 PM »

I'd pay an extra 5 dollars if the master tape to Chasin' The Sky was burned.

Too much honour to rank that track with the SMiLE stuff.

Just sayin'.

Considering the massive SMiLE release of last year, I'm not sure what else they could include from that album on the box set.  Honestly, I've got my SMiLE fix and would prefer the box set focuses on the Boys' entire career, and not just the Pet Sounds/SMiLE stuff.

That all being said, I'd like to hear a proper release of "Chasin' The Sky".  The song is nothing special, but Carl really delivers a great lead vocal and, as already mentioned, the group produces some good backing vocals.  

And now with all the "commemorative releases" out of the way, think it would be a good time to start getting some real details on that box set.  Anyone agree?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 06:52:29 PM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: October 11, 2012, 12:28:14 AM »

Previously done:
Wild Honey
Darlin'
Let the Wind Blow
Country Air

One of our members also created a kick ass extraction of "A Thing or Two"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR8ByKF5UR0

Damm good job!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #970 on: October 12, 2012, 08:06:34 AM »

It's on Amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Made-California-Limited-Beach-Boys/dp/B008XZKSRY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1PZ220A193YY4&coliid=I1Z8NYC2MTENT3

Don't know if it had been posted before.

Jason
« Reply #971 on: October 12, 2012, 08:27:11 AM »

Previously done:
Wild Honey
Darlin'
Let the Wind Blow
Country Air

It's "official" but has not been released except for bootlegs. The fact that it begins with the count-off should be proof positive, since there are no circulating Country Air session tapes.
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #972 on: October 12, 2012, 09:00:01 AM »

AGD, do you have an idea when the tracklist will be revealed? November or December?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: October 12, 2012, 09:12:02 AM »

Hmm..

We might be hearing some news soon

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: October 12, 2012, 09:40:37 AM »

£116 pounds.... hm.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx