gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681489 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 09:05:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 322655 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #925 on: October 08, 2012, 07:18:55 PM »

Everybody is in a panic because someone told someone that Mike Love is cutting out tracks and fucking up the box set. It's what we do here. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #926 on: October 08, 2012, 07:22:26 PM »

Haha. Well, you're probably right. I'm sure we'll be delighted with the box (or gripe about it. one of those...) come January or whenever it's released. It's just that with this band there's always an element of uncertainty. You know things exist that we want to hear, we just have to hope that a good chunk magically makes it's way into our grubby little hands.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #927 on: October 08, 2012, 07:28:47 PM »

I think all you guys are crazy. You reaaaaaaaaaaally don't think they are gonna come up with the goods? That despite coming through big time with the release The SMiLE Sessions, and the remasters of 12 albums, they are gonna screw this up? I highly doubt it. There are quite a few things of The Beach Boys I'd never thought that I'd hear, but I feel extremely confident that in January 2013, I'll be hearing most of those things, and more! They are not just gonna put out a box set with just previously released material. And I highly doubt there are just gonna put like two unreleased songs on this thing. It will be done well. And every day we are getting closer to an announcement regarding the track listing.

Exactly. I have a *real* good feeling about this...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #928 on: October 08, 2012, 07:34:56 PM »

I think all you guys are crazy. You reaaaaaaaaaaally don't think they are gonna come up with the goods? That despite coming through big time with the release The SMiLE Sessions, and the remasters of 12 albums, they are gonna screw this up? I highly doubt it. There are quite a few things of The Beach Boys I'd never thought that I'd hear, but I feel extremely confident that in January 2013, I'll be hearing most of those things, and more! They are not just gonna put out a box set with just previously released material. And I highly doubt there are just gonna put like two unreleased songs on this thing. It will be done well. And every day we are getting closer to an announcement regarding the track listing.

Exactly. I have a *real* good feeling about this...
I do too, and I will be buying it.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: October 09, 2012, 12:30:04 AM »

It may be a rather dull box set, coming with a personal statement from the Lovester, titled:

"For our true fans, here is a list of tracks that I myself nixed:"

...and then follows an enumeration of 30 track titles that we've all been drooling over during the last decade.

Mark my words, fellows. It could happen.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #930 on: October 09, 2012, 12:46:58 AM »

This thread amuses me more and more each day.  Grin

37 pages and all we have is a title and the number of discs, yet folk are still bitching because of what they think might be on it.  Beach Boys fans - gotta love 'em.  LOL

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #931 on: October 09, 2012, 01:03:28 AM »

Al Jardine told me they were recording new songs for the box.  Also wondering if the some of the rejects ffrom TWGMTR will be included.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #932 on: October 09, 2012, 01:17:28 AM »

Just played the new stereo mix of Wild Honey from 50BOs… JEEEEEZ the vocals are other-worldly! Astonishing leap forward.  If there's more of this on the box, I'm ecstatically died-n'-gone-to-Heaven happy.

Even if we don't get to know what's on it in advance, I'll be buying it to find out!

It's a fan thing.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: October 09, 2012, 01:20:47 AM »

Al Jardine told me they were recording new songs for the box.  Also wondering if the some of the rejects ffrom TWGMTR will be included.

Not sure about the word "rejects"; rather implies sub-standard which might well not be the case. From what I've discerned from various posts, plenty of material wasn't actually completed, only the stuff BW deemed suitable for this album. Is Good Vibrations a "reject" just because BW decided not to complete it for inclusion on Pet Sounds? Is Surf's Up a "reject" because it was passed on for Smiley Smile and Wild Honey?

Not complaining, by the way, just being semantic-pedantic.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #934 on: October 09, 2012, 01:25:13 AM »

Just played the new stereo mix of Wild Honey from 50BOs… JEEEEEZ the vocals are other-worldly! Astonishing leap forward.  If there's more of this on the box, I'm ecstatically died-n'-gone-to-Heaven happy.

Even if we don't get to know what's on it in advance, I'll be buying it to find out!

It's a fan thing.
Hope we get the WHOLE album in stereo!!!!!!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #935 on: October 09, 2012, 01:40:41 AM »

Just played the new stereo mix of Wild Honey from 50BOs… JEEEEEZ the vocals are other-worldly! Astonishing leap forward.  If there's more of this on the box, I'm ecstatically died-n'-gone-to-Heaven happy.

It's a fan thing.
Hope we get the WHOLE album in stereo!!!!!!

Suppose the whole of stereo WH is the big X-factor on the box. Then I will buy it. Absolutely.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #936 on: October 09, 2012, 01:45:13 AM »

Al Jardine told me they were recording new songs for the box.  Also wondering if the some of the rejects ffrom TWGMTR will be included.

Not sure about the word "rejects"; rather implies sub-standard which might well not be the case. From what I've discerned from various posts, plenty of material wasn't actually completed, only the stuff BW deemed suitable for this album. Is Good Vibrations a "reject" just because BW decided not to complete it for inclusion on Pet Sounds? Is Surf's Up a "reject" because it was passed on for Smiley Smile and Wild Honey?

Not complaining, by the way, just being semantic-pedantic.
Oh John, don't be silly. If you think Capital decided to keep a new song in the can on par with "Surf's Up" or "Good Vibrations", I have some swamp land in Florida to sell ya. Heck, how many entire albums have the Beach Boys had rejected in their career? 2? 4? 6?Huh

From Bellagio 10452
"The story of The Beach Boys first release for Warner-Reprise is one that has undergone changes over the years before the diligent research of Brad Elliott finally nailed down the true facts. Concisely, the accepted view was that the original version of Sunflower (above) was submitted to Reprise, rejected, reworked and resubmitted as Add Some Music, rejected again, revised once more and finally accepted as the released Sunflower. "

I've read numerous times that a bunch of tracks(25?) were submitted to Capital and they picked the songs. (Course, this is what I read so it's speculation - AGD hasn't confirmed it.)  They, for the album, rejected Bruce's song.  It was finished. "Waves of Love" wasn't finished from what I hear. Seemingly, Brian rejected it by not working on it though Al told me they were recording it for the box.

Course, we wouldn't reject them, we want to hear everything!

Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #937 on: October 09, 2012, 03:08:23 AM »

Still all speculation at this stage, but coming back to the proportion of unreleased material on the 1993 GV Box.

Disc 4 (1973-present) had, what one unreleased track on it? I would certainly hope the new set has more than one unreleased track per disc. Having said that, Disc 5 was all (basically) unreleased, and the box had 20 minutes of Smile material. So, on average, what, almost 2 discs worth out of 5 was unreleased? I'd be very happy with a 30% unreleased-released ratio.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #938 on: October 09, 2012, 03:15:33 AM »

Loaf, it actually has a few - Fairy Tale Music, It's Over Now,  Still I Dream Of It and Our Team. Which, considering it was throwing a decade into 25 tracks, isn't so bad.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #939 on: October 09, 2012, 03:36:09 AM »

Oh John, don't be silly. If you think Capital decided to keep a new song in the can on par with "Surf's Up" or "Good Vibrations", I have some swamp land in Florida to sell ya.
LOL
I've read numerous times that a bunch of tracks(25?) were submitted to Capital and they picked the songs. (Course, this is what I read so it's speculation - AGD hasn't confirmed it.)  They, for the album, rejected Bruce's song.  It was finished. "Waves of Love" wasn't finished from what I hear. Seemingly, Brian rejected it by not working on it though Al told me they were recording it for the box.

Al might argue that there are three versions of WoL simply awaiting fresh vocal overdubs!

Course, we wouldn't reject them, we want to hear everything!

I don't envy anyone compiling this box… I'd be happy hearing every song in demo & finished stages and all points in-between.

Wasn't aware that the pitched TWGMTR tracks "rejected" by Capitol were all fully completed and not just demos, though. There's so much more to this story that I'd love to know.

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #940 on: October 09, 2012, 09:48:28 AM »

Still all speculation at this stage, but coming back to the proportion of unreleased material on the 1993 GV Box.

Disc 4 (1973-present) had, what one unreleased track on it? I would certainly hope the new set has more than one unreleased track per disc. Having said that, Disc 5 was all (basically) unreleased, and the box had 20 minutes of Smile material. So, on average, what, almost 2 discs worth out of 5 was unreleased? I'd be very happy with a 30% unreleased-released ratio.

I remember counting, track wise, it was exactly a 1/3

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #941 on: October 09, 2012, 10:34:01 AM »

This thread amuses me more and more each day.  Grin

37 pages and all we have is a title and the number of discs, yet folk are still bitching because of what they think might be on it.  Beach Boys fans - gotta love 'em.  LOL

I think that we operate in the footsteps of philosopher Martin Heidegger, who could write whole chapters on the topic of nothing. In German it reads like: 'Das Nichts nichtet...' = 'The Nothing nothings...'.

Either that, or Ludwig Wittgenstein, that is also an option. Wittgenstein is one of the greatest philosophers of language that ever existed.

'Alles, worüber wir sprechen können, das sind ein Titel, und eine bestimmte Anzahl von Platten. Über den Rest sollen wir vorläufig schweigen, da wir nur erraten können, waß sich letztendlich auf den Platten befindet. Eine Vergleichung mit der Katze Schrödingers läßt sich machen. Ungeöffnet bietet die Box eine unendliche Zahl von Möglichkeiten, in Prinzip könnten alle Lieder bis jetzt unveröffentliche Werke der Gruppe sein. Met dem Akt des Öffnens aber begrenzen wir selbst die Möglichkeiten bis zu nur eine - die faktische Liste der Nummern. Die analogie mit der Limitierung der Anzahl von elementaren Seinszuständen im Ramen des radioaktiven Zerfalls ist perfekt".

We're brilliant, that's what.

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #942 on: October 09, 2012, 10:38:04 AM »

I would LOVE Chasin' The Sky to be on the box

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI-Lway3bdM

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Nicko1234
« Reply #943 on: October 09, 2012, 11:01:08 AM »

I would LOVE Chasin' The Sky to be on the box

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI-Lway3bdM

That should be included but maybe Capitol don`t have the rights?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #944 on: October 09, 2012, 11:13:13 AM »

I'd pay an extra 5 dollars if the master tape to Chasin' The Sky was burned.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #945 on: October 09, 2012, 11:15:39 AM »

Too much honour to rank that track with the SMiLE stuff.

Just sayin'.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #946 on: October 09, 2012, 11:39:16 AM »

The song itself is just OK, but it is the last of the intricate background vocals done by the band. Well worth a listen just to hear them.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: October 09, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »

Mark Linett said this on a Facebook thread I saw - regarding Wild Honey - the album - in stereo.

"WIld Honey the song is in stereo for the first time on 50 Big Ones as is "Darlin" , but some of the songs on the album would be impossible to do in true remixed stereo because only some of the lead vocals exist on the multi-track. On several songs the group recorded the vocals for the first verse , mixed that verse down and then recorded the next verse vocals over the first ones mixed that verse down and so on. I want to say maybe a third of the album has this problem"

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #948 on: October 09, 2012, 06:40:10 PM »

Mark Linett said this on a Facebook thread I saw - regarding Wild Honey - the album - in stereo.

"WIld Honey the song is in stereo for the first time on 50 Big Ones as is "Darlin" , but some of the songs on the album would be impossible to do in true remixed stereo because only some of the lead vocals exist on the multi-track. On several songs the group recorded the vocals for the first verse , mixed that verse down and then recorded the next verse vocals over the first ones mixed that verse down and so on. I want to say maybe a third of the album has this problem"

Well....

I...

Am...

Devastated....

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #949 on: October 09, 2012, 06:52:08 PM »

A Thing Or Two and Here Comes The Night are definitely two of those, from the evidence of the Unsurpassed Masters volume with Honey sessions.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx