gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681487 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 01:52:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 322609 times)
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: October 03, 2012, 11:34:29 AM »

Maybe I am boring, and long winded......

Well, at least he had that part right.

Did VM ever find the button that would allow him to stop posting here?

Cool Guy

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: October 03, 2012, 11:47:47 AM »

This continues to be one of the worst moderated sites on the web.  The attitude seems to be that there should be no moderation of these threads whatsoever - just let everyone say whatever they want, even if it derails the topic, threatens other posters, etc.  One of the mods did or does have a Noam Chomsky quote in his sig to the effect that any "censorship" is inherently evil.

NO!
I respectfully disagree.  Smiley Smile Net is not only the best "fan site" on the web.  It is the best moderated!!!!  The Mods are wise enough, and even patient enough, to not over-moderate.  Believe me, the "over moderating" gets really tiresome.  You all know the over moderated sites I am talking about -- they aren't fun.

Maybe sometimes threads get "a little nuts", but overall it's worth it because the level of information and EXPERT ADVICE here is unparalled!

I love Smiley Smile Net BECAUSE of its mix of REAL SCHOLARSHIP with zany, freewheeling fun.  On rare occasions a Mod will step in, but to my mind, they always strike the right balance.  MODS ROCK!  Kodos to them!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:49:10 AM by heysaboda » Logged

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: October 03, 2012, 01:21:02 PM »

If Mike doesn't want something on the box, there's a darn good reason behind it and we should respect his wishes. Mike has spent his entire career protecting the BBs legacy. He only has the band's best interests in mind, and you'd be a fool to doubt. Maybe you think Brian losing it in the studio and recording "Teardrops on my Bed" makes for good listening, but forgive Mike for wanting to protect Brian from harsh scrutiny of the broader public!  Angry

I don't know where to start with this.

First off - are you joking?

It's Murry. What did you expect?  Roll Eyes
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: October 03, 2012, 01:59:43 PM »

trolling

I'm not trolling! After reading Jon Stebbins' articulate, impassioned, and emotionally tender dissection of Mike Love (cleverly titled "A Hate Love Relationship), I've fully come around to finding the man as a sympathetic character. He is the BBs #1 cheerleader, and is therefore by proxy Brian's #1 cheerleader. He defended the BBs legacy when a drug-addled Brian wanted nothing more than to ruin it with tawdry songs and slapdash productions. Sure, maybe one of you would like to hear "Burlesque", but what happens my grandson buys the box for his grandma and they settle in to listen to it together?

The BBs are a family group. Get it over it.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: October 03, 2012, 02:05:35 PM »

Ho Ho Ho.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: October 03, 2012, 02:17:16 PM »

trolling

I'm not trolling! After reading Jon Stebbins' articulate, impassioned, and emotionally tender dissection of Mike Love (cleverly titled "A Hate Love Relationship), I've fully come around to finding the man as a sympathetic character. He is the BBs #1 cheerleader, and is therefore by proxy Brian's #1 cheerleader. He defended the BBs legacy when a drug-addled Brian wanted nothing more than to ruin it with tawdry songs and slapdash productions. Sure, maybe one of you would like to hear "Burlesque", but what happens my grandson buys the box for his grandma and they settle in to listen to it together?

I don't know who you are but...keep posting! police
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #731 on: October 03, 2012, 02:36:53 PM »

trolling

I don't know who you are but...keep posting! police

Sure , keep trolling. You're the best there is right now

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #732 on: October 03, 2012, 02:37:16 PM »

Get what over it?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: October 03, 2012, 02:39:33 PM »

Andrew, I'm not sure that you know or are at liberty to say, but has the track list changes all been addressed now?

Correct.

But since you can't tell us what we want to know under your own name, can't you simply start posting as Andrew's Fern again?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: October 03, 2012, 03:11:55 PM »

trolling

....I think it actually is Murry. They must have finally sorted out the internet in hell. Mods, give him his own Honoured Guest thread?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: October 03, 2012, 03:14:53 PM »

trolling

....I think it actually is Murry. They must have finally sorted out the internet in hell. Mods, give him his own Honoured Guest thread?
Time to set the record straight on the 2x4 story.....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: October 03, 2012, 04:16:49 PM »

trolling

So your grandson is gonna buy his grandmother the new Beach Boys box set, and they are gonna listen to it together? Riiiiiiight. That's gonna happen. And Mike believes in family values, therefore he sings (raps?) lyrics about doing it in swimming pools and how "doing it with you would be so very cool"? But we can't hear "Burlesque". Right.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: October 03, 2012, 04:21:51 PM »

trolling

And Mike believes in family values, therefore he sings (raps?) lyrics about doing it in swimming pools and how "doing it with you would be so very cool"? ]

Well, how else are you going to start a 'family group'?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: October 03, 2012, 05:11:28 PM »

Has anybody given a thought to the possibllity of them using original Brian SMiLE mono mixes from 1966 that didn't end op on the SMiLE Sessions, but could represent SMiLE here?
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: October 03, 2012, 05:21:07 PM »

Andrew, I'm not sure that you know or are at liberty to say, but has the track list changes all been addressed now?

Correct.

But since you can't tell us what we want to know under your own name, can't you simply start posting as Andrew's Fern again?

Gosh, there is some funny stuff being posted these days.  Enjoying the humour!  Good one bgas!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #740 on: October 03, 2012, 07:19:15 PM »

Has anybody given a thought to the possibllity of them using original Brian SMiLE mono mixes from 1966 that didn't end op on the SMiLE Sessions, but could represent SMiLE here?

that's a really cool idea.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: October 03, 2012, 10:18:18 PM »

That'd be cool, and let's hope so, although aren't there only a few complete vintage Brian mixes/edits of the material?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: October 04, 2012, 01:18:10 AM »

Get what over it?
The fact that the BBs are a family group. I understand many of you out there like that spooky SMiLE stuff, but you are out of step with the larger public and would likely even acknowledge so proudly if I asked. Brian was always melancholy and something of an outsider. Luckily, he had Mike to balance that out, bringing Brian incredible commercial success. However, Brian then chose to distort the image Mike and others had worked just as hard as Brian to establish for his own selfish private gain. Maybe you love Johnny-come-latelys like Van Dyke Parks, whom fed Brian drugs and felt he had the right to use the Beach Boys image in ironic ways to disseminate his dissident thoughts towards this fine country, but I prefer to take a more skeptical approach.

With hard work, Mike and the others were eventually able to overcome the disaster Brian personally engineered. All these attempts to champion SMiLE and other subversive material underminds everything Mike has done. You can all boohoo when Mike nixes a 4 minute mix of "Child Is Father of the Man", but the instrumental take of "Ballad of Ole Betsy" that takes its place will be much more suitable to the ears of your average, Beach Boys loving American.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 01:20:56 AM by Murry » Logged
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #743 on: October 04, 2012, 02:02:34 AM »

You can all boohoo when Mike nixes a 4 minute mix of "Child Is Father of the Man", but the instrumental take of "Ballad of Ole Betsy" that takes its place will be much more suitable to the ears of your average, Beach Boys loving American.

I'd actually like to hear both of those things, but only one of those actually exists in the vaults.  And only one of them is connected to the most infamous unreleased album of all time.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: October 04, 2012, 03:18:03 AM »

Get what over it?
The fact that the BBs are a family group. I understand many of you out there like that spooky SMiLE stuff, but you are out of step with the larger public and would likely even acknowledge so proudly if I asked. Brian was always melancholy and something of an outsider. Luckily, he had Mike to balance that out, bringing Brian incredible commercial success. However, Brian then chose to distort the image Mike and others had worked just as hard as Brian to establish for his own selfish private gain. Maybe you love Johnny-come-latelys like Van Dyke Parks, whom fed Brian drugs and felt he had the right to use the Beach Boys image in ironic ways to disseminate his dissident thoughts towards this fine country, but I prefer to take a more skeptical approach.

With hard work, Mike and the others were eventually able to overcome the disaster Brian personally engineered. All these attempts to champion SMiLE and other subversive material underminds everything Mike has done. You can all boohoo when Mike nixes a 4 minute mix of "Child Is Father of the Man", but the instrumental take of "Ballad of Ole Betsy" that takes its place will be much more suitable to the ears of your average, Beach Boys loving American.

But Murry, what could be a more family oriented song than Child is the Father of the Man?

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: October 04, 2012, 03:39:35 AM »

I think people need to stop with that "Family Band" sh*t.

The Boys have a connection to Manson, Mike Love has a connection to thousands of women, and Al is able to wear a shirt basically telling everyone "Hey, almost everyone here is high right now"

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: October 04, 2012, 03:48:51 AM »

Al is able to wear a shirt basically telling everyone "Hey, almost everyone here is high right now"

wait, wat?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ted
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: October 04, 2012, 03:51:59 AM »

Get what over it?
The fact that the BBs are a family group. I understand many of you out there like that spooky SMiLE stuff, but you are out of step with the larger public and would likely even acknowledge so proudly if I asked.
Tell that to the general public who went apeshit for I Just Wasn't Made For These Times and Heroes And Villains but couldn't care less about Little Honda and Don't Back Down at the Royal Albert Hall and Wembley.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: October 04, 2012, 04:07:46 AM »

Get what over it?
The fact that the BBs are a family group. I understand many of you out there like that spooky SMiLE stuff, but you are out of step with the larger public and would likely even acknowledge so proudly if I asked.
Tell that to the general public who went apesh*t for I Just Wasn't Made For These Times and Heroes And Villains but couldn't care less about Little Honda and Don't Back Down at the Royal Albert Hall and Wembley.

I'm pretty sure "Murry" is joking.

(That said, the audiences in the US are very different from the audiences in the UK. In the US the band's peak popularity was in 1964-65, in the UK it was 1966-68. Relatively few people in the US know Breakaway, while it was a massive hit over here, while most people in a US audience will know Little Honda, which British people are mostly unaware of.)

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #749 on: October 04, 2012, 04:38:50 AM »

Al is able to wear a shirt basically telling everyone "Hey, almost everyone here is high right now"

wait, wat?

I don't have the slightest clue as to what that means, but I love it.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx