gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681489 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 11:46:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 322671 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: October 01, 2012, 03:31:19 AM »

Who else would've written the majority of unreleased tracks on a Beach Boys box set? Ricky Fataar?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: October 01, 2012, 03:32:13 AM »

Who else would've written the majority of unreleased tracks on a Beach Boys box set? Ricky Fataar?

Murry.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: October 01, 2012, 03:48:03 AM »

Murry.

Perhaps it'll be a hybrid box set by the Beach Boys and the Sunrays. Highlight: one full hour of 'Bull Session' with Murry on a lot of liquor.

I might buy a that.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: October 01, 2012, 04:05:55 AM »

Murry.

Perhaps it'll be a hybrid box set by the Beach Boys and the Sunrays. Highlight: one full hour of 'Bull Session' with Murry on a lot of liquor.

I might buy a that.

Bonus Disc: Al tries out his dentist skills on the boys (74 mins). :¢)

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: October 01, 2012, 04:31:53 AM »

Murry.

I might buy a that.

In true Doctor Szell fashion? Imagin the drone of the drill, for 74 mins., interspersed with cries of pain and begging for mercy... sort of avantgarde post-punk.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: October 01, 2012, 04:38:27 AM »

Murry.

I might buy a that.

In true Doctor Szell fashion? Imagin the drone of the drill, for 74 mins., interspersed with cries of pain and begging for mercy... sort of avantgarde post-punk.

Ah yes, the 'Keep it Clean' sessions from 1975. Spoke with 'someone who would know' and it would appear that the mastertapes are still in possession of Al, who plays them every so often whilst throwing darts at copies of Endless Summer and Help Me Rhonda 45's. Whilst he appreciates the historical value of the tapes, actually releasing them would be an admission of guilt from the man the LAPD have been trying to arrest since that second term at dental school, for 63 charges of gross malpractice, GBH and the abuse and trafficking of laughing gas.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 04:39:24 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: October 01, 2012, 04:41:48 AM »

Murry.

I might buy a that.

Ah yes, the 'Keep it Clean' sessions from 1975. Spoke with 'someone who would know' and it would appear that the mastertapes are still in possession of Al, who plays them every so often whilst throwing darts at copies of Endless Summer and Help Me Rhonda 45's. Whilst he appreciates the historical value of the tapes, actually releasing them would be an admission of guilt from the man the LAPD have been trying to arrest since that second term at dental school, for 63 charges of gross malpractice, GBH and the abuse and trafficking of laughing gas.

Exactly. And do remember he dropped out from dental school, so the maliciousness came easy Grin

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: October 01, 2012, 04:44:19 AM »

Murry.

I might buy a that.

He could actually face jail for the rest of his life. In the same row as Phil Spector.

Or better still, Charlie Manson.

Oh, the irony of history.

tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: October 01, 2012, 05:37:18 AM »

Murry.

I might buy a that.

He could actually face jail for the rest of his life. In the same row as Phil Spector.

Or better still, Charlie Manson.

Oh, the irony of history.

And they say Mike is the bad guy! Grin

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: October 01, 2012, 06:38:25 AM »

Once again guys...fucking VintageMusic wrote that
a little birdy told him that Mike Love is changing the tracklist.

I wouldn't be surprised if it literally was a bird that he thought told him about
The Beach Boys
boxset.

This being the same VintageMusic that got banned from here for being
a total
moron.

Not to mention his horribly
formatted
posts.

Therefore, I wouldn't be too much credence into anything the guy says.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: October 01, 2012, 06:41:02 AM »

Any delay in the release of Made in California should arise thanks to efforts in securing more rare and unreleased music, not less.  This is the main draw of a box set - it's what they are made for.

"Best of's" and "Greatest Hits" offerings are meant to showcase the hits and we've a nice package coming for that.  A box set is an opportunity for a band to realize a profit from tapes otherwise left sitting in a vault (or on a hard drive, nowadays).  Represent the more well-known numbers with alternate takes, mixes or rare/outstanding live performances and construct the rest of the release around unheard compositions.  Offering more of your rare and previously unreleased material makes the product more appealing to the consumer and will translate into more sales.  Just don't ask us to wait an extra couple of months (I realize no release date was ever announced) and reward us with fewer unheard tracks.  Maximize your profit and our enjoyment.  It can be win/win!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 06:59:21 AM by Generation42 » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: October 01, 2012, 07:02:23 AM »

Given that Alan & Mark successfully lobbied for the Smile box set to be enlarged and given its high profile success, I'm sure Capitol will be looking favourably upon Beach Boys archive product

I've no worries about the box's contents and no doubts that it will appear.

“We live in divisive times.”
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: October 01, 2012, 08:52:16 AM »

Once again guys...f***ing VintageMusic wrote that

I wouldn't be surprised if it literally was a bird that he thought told him about
The Beach Boys
boxset.

a total
moron.

formatted
posts.

But it wouldn't surprise any of us if M Love was holding up the set, would it?

They should just add an extra disc to the set of Mike's unreleased first two solo albums so he can reap the royalties and be done with it!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: October 01, 2012, 09:02:05 AM »

The Beach Boys
boxset.

a total
moron.

formatted
posts.

But it wouldn't surprise any of us if M Love was holding up the set, would it?

They should just add an extra disc to the set of Mike's unreleased first two solo albums so he can reap the royalties and be done with it!

They should just glue that Mike disk to the back side of the box, with Sell-O-Tape, and not print the tracks on the box and in the accompanying booklets.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 09:53:45 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: October 01, 2012, 09:06:39 AM »

The Beach Boys
boxset.

a total
moron.

formatted
posts.

Lets all remember, http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12601.msg258875.html#msg258875

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: October 01, 2012, 09:08:22 AM »

The Beach Boys
boxset.

a total
moron.

formatted
posts.

Someone else on that thread claims to have heard the same thing, though.

JoeRockhead: I have heard the same thing from a very reliable source. You can not believe it if you want but it is true

http://stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=8118625&postcount=492
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: October 01, 2012, 09:23:05 AM »

Murry.

I might buy a that.

Is it safe?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: October 01, 2012, 09:28:45 AM »

More Ricky, less Brian please. And a bonus disk of Mike solo stuff. This box set is looking better by the minute.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #693 on: October 01, 2012, 09:38:31 AM »

Oh My God...THIS...

I've actually been in a room with the mobsters I spoke of, and some of the Beach Boys
whom I consider decent folks, and I was saddened, from personal experience I know some of those people mentored by the Scotti brothers
are the dregs of the earth, and I lamented the fact, and pointed it out to those who might be interested... I also dislike those barf bags for any
part they played in harming the career and life of my pal Leif Garrett from school, who was a nice kid before he got involved with the Scotti's

Maybe I am boring, and long winded, I thought I had some worthwhile interesting things to contribute here, but there are quite a few of you
younger, know nothing about music guys, who always attack with the knife and fork, like you can only get your sustenance at the expense of
putting someone like me down.  I misspoke your name because I was trying to tell you to shove it, drop dead, go back to pulling the wings off
butterflies, don't speak for the entire membership about me, and don't demean me in some cowardly English backhanded way, like you belong
to the upper crust and just insulted the janitor at your squash club, go watch a film about all the English royalty that wanted to side with Hitler
or go read Neville Chamberlains speech about the Sudetenland, go meet your boyfriend for tea, but don't tell me you weren't insulting me

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: October 01, 2012, 09:39:25 AM »

Is it safe?

Well, we know it's 'clean.'
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 09:41:00 AM by Generation42 » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: October 01, 2012, 11:00:31 AM »

Oh My God...THIS...

Maybe I am boring, and long winded, I thought I had some worthwhile interesting things to contribute here, but there are quite a few of you
younger, know nothing about music guys, who always attack with the knife and fork, like you can only get your sustenance at the expense of
putting someone like me down.  I misspoke your name because I was trying to tell you to shove it, drop dead, go back to pulling the wings off
butterflies, don't speak for the entire membership about me, and don't demean me in some cowardly English backhanded way, like you belong
to the upper crust and just insulted the janitor at your squash club, go watch a film about all the English royalty that wanted to side with Hitler
or go read Neville Chamberlains speech about the Sudetenland, go meet your boyfriend for tea, but don't tell me you weren't insulting me

I just imagined Eminem rapping that part you quoted, and it was quite amusing.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Paulos
« Reply #696 on: October 01, 2012, 11:05:48 AM »

Oh My God...THIS...

I've actually been in a room with the mobsters I spoke of, and some of the Beach Boys
whom I consider decent folks, and I was saddened, from personal experience I know some of those people mentored by the Scotti brothers
are the dregs of the earth, and I lamented the fact, and pointed it out to those who might be interested... I also dislike those barf bags for any
part they played in harming the career and life of my pal Leif Garrett from school, who was a nice kid before he got involved with the Scotti's

Ah, my old buddy JC, wonder how the old freakshow is doing nowadays?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #697 on: October 01, 2012, 11:25:40 AM »

Well, I don't give too much about the Mike Love-rumour. Somebody posted a few weeks ago that Mark London told him someone f*cked up the tracklist but that doesn't sound like Mike wanted it to be changed to me.
Besides, what unreleased Mike material could replace Brian's? There's not enough interesting material even in his released stuff that could fill a disc. Mike knows that a Beach Boys release with Brian Wilson's name on it will sell like crazy.
He's not very keen on releasing archive material but I don't think he would do what is claimed he did.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: October 01, 2012, 12:56:13 PM »

I would guess that, IF Mike is the one changing the track order (note the big "if") it is because he wants less of his own unreleased material. Or less of Dennis' stuff.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #699 on: October 01, 2012, 01:15:07 PM »

I would guess that, IF Mike is the one changing the track order (note the big "if") it is because he wants less of his own unreleased material. Or less of Dennis' stuff.

Surely Mike must be over the whole Dennis thing by now? The poor guy's been dead three decades. POB sold really well didn't it? I just don't see the justification in Mike pulling Denny tracks. I really hope it doesn't turn out to be true.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx