gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681489 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 12:22:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 322676 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: September 28, 2012, 10:54:27 AM »

First, he was the guy who caused the 1966/67 "Smile" sessions to collapse, causing cousin Brian to descend into two decades of mental illness.(In reality, Love's bad attitude was one of several reasons behind the collapse of "Smile")

Irony.

You're going to cause this board to collapse with your monotonous depressive comments that will have us all descend into fits of mental illness.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
PhilCohen
« Reply #576 on: September 28, 2012, 11:02:09 AM »

I was speaking about the 3 things that people typically blame Mike Love for. Whether he was single-handedly to blame for each of those things is debatable.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 28, 2012, 11:31:13 AM »

Didn't know it would make everybody so pissy that I don't like glam-rock-era McCartney or the Small Faces!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: September 28, 2012, 11:38:49 AM »

Didn't know it would make everybody so pissy that I don't like glam-rock-era McCartney or the Small Faces!

Hi Hi Hi is glam-rock era McCartney. WOA is disco-era McCartney.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 28, 2012, 11:45:41 AM »

I'm wondering if you've actually listened to The Small Faces. I find it hard to believe that someone being into sixties music _cannot_ like them. Wink
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:49:53 AM by tansen » Logged

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: September 28, 2012, 11:58:15 AM »

I'm wondering if you've actually listened to The Small Faces. I find it hard to believe that someone being into sixties music _cannot_ like them. Wink

He may also possibly be confusing the Faces with the Small Faces.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: September 28, 2012, 12:01:29 PM »

I guess if you wanna get down to it, it's arguable to say you're right there. I guess the Speed Of Sound//Wings Over America is more disco, sound-wise. I would say Paul was at his most c*ck-rock in this era however. I know Wings wasn't as well-oiled of a machine in the early '70s, but I wish there was a live album from then, when there was more Ram, Wild Life, and Red Rose Speedway in the setlist.

He may also possibly be confusing the Faces with the Small Faces.

Or he could just not care for either the Faces or the Small Faces. I have very idiosyncratic music tastes. And it is what it is.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 28, 2012, 12:03:59 PM »

Or he could just not care for either the Faces or the Small Faces. I have very idiosyncratic music tastes. And it is what it is.

It's cool to not like them, man. Your initial post seemed to question the idea of anyone liking them, that's the only thing I objected to.

PhilCohen
« Reply #583 on: September 28, 2012, 12:07:54 PM »

At The time of "Wings Over America", Paul McCartney had exactly ONE disco song in his entire discography("Silly Love Songs"). That does not make "Wings Over America" a disco album or McCartney a disco artist.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: September 28, 2012, 12:13:03 PM »

It's cool to not like them, man. Your initial post seemed to question the idea of anyone liking them, that's the only thing I objected to.

For sure! Of course, it's wrong, but cool. Grin
Seriously though, all though I do like the Faces (yes, with Rod and company), I could see why someone wouldn't like them.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: September 28, 2012, 12:46:43 PM »

At The time of "Wings Over America", Paul McCartney had exactly ONE disco song in his entire discography("Silly Love Songs"). That does not make "Wings Over America" a disco album or McCartney a disco artist.

I wasn't saying it was, mate. Any more than he did any real glam rock material. Trust me, I know as much about his solo career as you do.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 28, 2012, 01:06:31 PM »

If you don't like Venus and Mars, you're crazy. Ram is almost 2nd to that IMO.

THEN MACCA 2, THEN BOTR, THEN MAF

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 28, 2012, 03:55:25 PM »

Here we go again....

One point though, will any future releases be delayed by Universal's takeover of EMI, or will all scheduled releases go ahead as planned ? The Beatles vinyl remasters will be ok, and I'm sure the proximity to Christmas will be a major sales opportunity for Made In California. Having raised the question, I have every faith that this set will be out within the next couple of months...

Universal will be permitted to take over Capitol intact, so it will probably have no effect on future Beach Boys CD releases. But the long-term interpersonal hatreds between the now-elderly Beach Boys WILL be a factor.

C'mon Phil, even you don't believe that tripe.

“We live in divisive times.”
PhilCohen
« Reply #588 on: September 28, 2012, 04:18:28 PM »

Here we go again....

One point though, will any future releases be delayed by Universal's takeover of EMI, or will all scheduled releases go ahead as planned ? The Beatles vinyl remasters will be ok, and I'm sure the proximity to Christmas will be a major sales opportunity for Made In California. Having raised the question, I have every faith that this set will be out within the next couple of months...

Universal will be permitted to take over Capitol intact, so it will probably have no effect on future Beach Boys CD releases. But the long-term interpersonal hatreds between the now-elderly Beach Boys WILL be a factor.

If Mike Love doesn't agree to the proposed box set track listing, then there's no box set.

C'mon Phil, even you don't believe that tripe.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 28, 2012, 05:32:29 PM »

Most of us know very little about it. There are those among us who probably know quite a bit, but aren't at liberty to divulge.

We know it's called "Made in California" and that it's 6 discs. We know it was supposed to be released in November, but is likely pushed back from that, possibly to January.

We know that some people care nothing about it other than that it includes the Dennis track "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again."

We know that the delay is because some people, according to someone at the grammy museum show, are "f***ing with the tracklist."

An admirably concise and entirely accurate summation of the status quo.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 28, 2012, 06:23:59 PM »

Most of us know very little about it. There are those among us who probably know quite a bit, but aren't at liberty to divulge.

We know it's called "Made in California" and that it's 6 discs. We know it was supposed to be released in November, but is likely pushed back from that, possibly to January.

We know that some people care nothing about it other than that it includes the Dennis track "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again."

We know that the delay is because some people, according to someone at the grammy museum show, are "f***ing with the tracklist."

An admirably concise and entirely accurate summation of the status quo.

Why can't Mike just fucking go out on his mediocre solo tour and leave his hands off the tracklist; he doesn't need to remove WIBNTLA for more of his lesser material

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 28, 2012, 06:48:23 PM »

Why the f*** do you think it is Mike? Brian struck Let Him Run Wild off the GV box, Al struck Loop De Loop, Carl struck Soulful Old Man Sunshine. I doubt Mike even cares.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: September 28, 2012, 07:21:24 PM »

Fair enough. I honestly can't stand it when people write-off a band just because they don't like them, and I guess it looks like I did that too. I don't know why the Small Faces/Faces never drew me in, but then again I don't care for Jimi Hendrix (although I'm trying to get into his stuff), most of the Stones stuff, and a lot of other legendary '60s artists, despite trying.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 28, 2012, 08:22:37 PM »

Fair enough. I honestly can't stand it when people write-off a band just because they don't like them, and I guess it looks like I did that too. I don't know why the Small Faces/Faces never drew me in, but then again I don't care for Jimi Hendrix (although I'm trying to get into his stuff), most of the Stones stuff, and a lot of other legendary '60s artists, despite trying.

I don't care for either of the Faces or McCartney offerings mentioned above, but I respect that there are a lot of people that do.  I just wish Phil would stop bringing them up to prove his pointless point!
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 28, 2012, 08:35:09 PM »

With each passing month & season, fewer & fewer people are going to care whether Capitol ever releases this box set. If The Beach Boys can't stop arguing amongst themselves and permit the box set to be released, then it may be much simpler for Capitol to resume production of the "Good Vibrations:30 Years of The Beach Boys" box.

What exactly would Capitol Records have to gain from building up anticipation for a box-set and then not releasing it?  Try to think about this logically.  Like other businesses, Capitol's main goal is to make money.  The new Beach Boys album far outsold what anyone could have reasonably anticipated, and they've done fairly well on tour as well.  It stands to reason that Capitol Records would try to take advantage of this moment to try to make as much money as possible with more Beach Boys releases.  They might decide not to release a box-set if the sales of Beach Boys albums and tickets were poor enough to indicate that there were no interest in one, but in the past year they have pretty overwhelmingly indicated the opposite.

Try to imagine the following scenario:

Capitol Records Suit #1: Beach Boys records are hot!  Let's release a career-spanning box-set.
Capitol Records Suit #2: Great idea!
Capitol Records Suit #3: I have a better idea.  Let's make everyone anticipate there's a box-set coming, and then not release anything!  That'll keep those idiots guessing!

Doesn't seem very likely, as Capitol Records will not want to pass an opportunity to make more money off of us.  Their motives are no more or less diabolical than that.

(I should note that I will be very happy to separate with my money for this box-set, when the time comes).

As for the business about Mike Love agreeing or not to the track-list: whatever he may or may not have done in the past, the two shows in the UK have proven two things

1) The reported acrimony between band members is, at the very least, very overblown in reporting
2) Mike Love is apparently willing to allow songs he doesn't particularly care for into the set-list, as he reportedly didn't like "Summer's Gone" (at least initially) but it managed to get played anyway.  If he had really wanted to, he could have thrown a fit during the recording of That's Why God Made the Radio and insisted that he wouldn't participate if they included the final three songs that he supposedly didn't like, but that didn't happen.  Why would he call off the box-set?
PhilCohen
« Reply #595 on: September 28, 2012, 09:35:31 PM »

I'm sure that Capitol Records would love to release a Beach Boys box set. Whether they can get permission remains to be seen.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 28, 2012, 09:40:51 PM »

I'm sure that Capitol Records would love to release a Beach Boys box set. Whether they can get permission remains to be seen.

You still never answered my offer Phil. Will you apologize to all of us, or agree to leave the board if the box set is out by January 18 in the United States? I'm serious. Because, unlike you, I am excited for the set to be released and can't wait to hear the new, previously unreleased material they will be putting on there. And if a few extra months was what it took to increase the quality of the box set, then it is worth it. Wouldn't you agree?
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 28, 2012, 11:09:56 PM »

You still never answered my offer Phil. Will you apologize to all of us, or agree to leave the board if the box set is out by January 18 in the United States? I'm serious. Because, unlike you, I am excited for the set to be released and can't wait to hear the new, previously unreleased material they will be putting on there. And if a few extra months was what it took to increase the quality of the box set, then it is worth it. Wouldn't you agree?

Roll Eyes

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 29, 2012, 01:30:04 AM »

Better gauge of his confidence:

Phil, if you're so c*ck-sure it's not coming out, how about you promise to buy every board member a copy of the box? Shouldn't cost you one thin dime!

“We live in divisive times.”
PhilCohen
« Reply #599 on: September 29, 2012, 07:37:10 AM »

What I'm saying is that Capitol's promise to release the box set "Later This Year"(I.E. 2012) and Mr.Doe's promise that it would be released in Nov.2012.........are apparently not to be.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx