gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681489 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 10:16:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 322663 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 01:54:32 AM »

Made in California, huh ? Nice title. Better than 120 big ones or something like that. Although they are recycling "Made in USA".

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 02:16:56 AM »

I would seriously not complain if they ignored anything post-LA Light. After that all the production lost any warm feeling to it. I guess I would survive an acapella Goin' On or Where I Belong, but apart from that anything after 1979 can be buried with my consent!

Yeah, but that would be whitewashing. If they want to go career-spanning, they should go all the way to the end, warts and all.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2012, 02:30:43 AM »

Is there any info on will this be an independent box set (you know, with all the hits included) or a sequel to GV box (with no overlapping material)?

Which part of the phrase "career spanning" don't you understand ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2012, 02:32:56 AM »

So there won't be anything off M.I.U. album?  
 Grin

I hope the 80's-90's-00's are well represented.
For example, a semi-chronological collection of good music and non-album tracks:

- Keepin' The Summer Alive (live at Knewborth '80)
- Goin' On
- When Girls Get Together (track only)
- It's A Beautiful Day
- Chasing the Sky
- Getcha Back
- Where I Belong
- California Dreamin'
- Lady Liberty
- Rock & Roll To The Rescue
- The Spirit of Rock'n'Roll ("BB live" version '86)
- Crocodile Rock
- Problem Child
- Kokomo
- Somewhere Near in Japan
- Lahaina Aloha
- Summer in Paradise (live at Wembley '93)
- You're Still A Mistery
- Soul Searchin'
- vocals-only montage from Stars&Stripes
- Do It Again (2011)
- She Believes in Love Again (2012)
- (untitled TWGMTR outtake / I'd Go Anywhere)
- Waves Of Love (2012)
- Isn't It Time (single version)

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 02:38:24 AM »

Yes, we need problem child! In fact, your list is near perfect - I can see it including TWGMTR though

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 02:42:14 AM »

If Lady Liberty gets up, I'll buy 2 copies (one for smashin')
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 04:50:47 PM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 02:56:46 AM »

Is there any info on will this be an independent box set (you know, with all the hits included) or a sequel to GV box (with no overlapping material)?

I understand them both parts, but their career could be spanned twice. I mean, they could choose songs from their whole career, but different songs this time. But yeah, I don't think they can leave all the hits out, even though they were included the last time.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 03:01:57 AM »

I seriously doubt they'll leave ANY of the major hits out. Consider: six discs, which is roughly seven hours and fifty minutes of music.  The band have had something like 55 charting singles, let's say two and three-quarter hours. Still leaves over five hours for classics, deep cuts and a bounty of archive tracks.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 03:10:10 AM »

I understand them both parts

Yeah rite, ya fuckin' ignorant dotard! LOL

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 03:19:22 AM »

They could mix it up and put the Summer In Paradise 'Surfin'' ant the start and the original in the 90's section

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2012, 04:29:46 AM »

So there won't be anything off M.I.U. album?  
 Grin

I hope the 80's-90's-00's are well represented.
For example, a semi-chronological collection of good music and non-album tracks:

- Keepin' The Summer Alive (live at Knewborth '80)
- Goin' On
- When Girls Get Together (track only)
- It's A Beautiful Day
- Chasing the Sky
- Getcha Back
- Where I Belong
- California Dreamin'
- Lady Liberty
- Rock & Roll To The Rescue
- The Spirit of Rock'n'Roll ("BB live" version '86)
- Crocodile Rock
- Problem Child
- Kokomo
- Somewhere Near in Japan
- Lahaina Aloha
- Summer in Paradise (live at Wembley '93)
- You're Still A Mistery
- Soul Searchin'
- vocals-only montage from Stars&Stripes
- Do It Again (2011)
- She Believes in Love Again (2012)
- (untitled TWGMTR outtake / I'd Go Anywhere)
- Waves Of Love (2012)
- Isn't It Time (single version)

Some session outtakes from the later material ('67-2012) would be great. I don't mean just alt. versions but also studio chatter, etc.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012, 04:46:14 AM »

I guess the problem is that in the digital era the "tapes are not rolling", so usually you don't have studio chatter or in-progress versions.
But yes, would be very cool.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2012, 04:47:22 AM »

They could mix it up and put the Summer In Paradise 'Surfin'' ant the start and the original in the 90's section

Given "Forever" and "Surfin'" being recorded in hella late 80s/early 90s arrangements, I can only assume they did the same for their entire back catalog (with rewritten lyrics by Mike Love in 1992) and will be releasing all of it on this box set. It will include the Full House rap version of "Forever" as a "special" bonus traxxx

Hung surfboard overtaken me
Dim surfer girl, awaken me
To a surf dissolved in the durf
(Surfin', surfin')
The tourist beach, a costly surf
Our money all is lost for now
To a surfin' trumpeter guy
(Surfin', surfin')
Columnated surfboards domino

I'm a bro on a sunny day
Pretty soon I'll be cruisin' away
How long will the bros cruise?
How long will the bros cruise?
It tans my hide
Hey, hey, hey now!

The beach has got waves, but they ain't doin' me no good,
I wish they could
Each tide brings surfin' action again
I think I got surfin' good goin' for myself
But what goes wrong?
Sometimes I surf very bad

etc.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 04:53:36 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2012, 05:36:19 AM »

I seriously doubt they'll leave ANY of the major hits out. Consider: six discs, which is roughly seven hours and fifty minutes of music.  The band have had something like 55 charting singles, let's say two and three-quarter hours. Still leaves over five hours for classics, deep cuts and a bounty of archive tracks.

Still possible to cover their 50 year career with top-notch music without touching on the hits if the compilers so wished. And I hope they so wish.

And given that there'll be not one but TWO GHs packages out near-simultaneously, I hope they take that option.  JQP, if he's bought the GHs sets and is inspired to delve deeper, might be mighty pished if he finds he's shellling out for the same hits twice.

And if he's uncharacteristically started with the box, he ain't gonna shell for the GH sets subsequently.

Those of us who're gonna be shelling for the box don't need the hits again and there shouldn't be any incentive to include them on the box.

“We live in divisive times.”
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2012, 05:43:31 AM »

Well put. Nothing against the hits, but everyone who is ready to shell megabucks for the box probably owns them all already. I know I do.

It just dawned me that the box might include some 2011-2012 outtakes as well, from the TWGMTR sessions. Could it be we get to hear rest of the suite on the box?

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2012, 06:18:15 AM »

Well put. Nothing against the hits, but everyone who is ready to shell megabucks for the box probably owns them all already. I know I do.

It just dawned me that the box might include some 2011-2012 outtakes as well, from the TWGMTR sessions. Could it be we get to hear rest of the suite on the box?

I don't think all elements of this suite were recorded beyond the demo stage. Joe Thomas mentioned having pout them together in ProTools but I think he meant Brian Wilson's demo compositions, not contemporary BBs' recordings. Here's a snippet or two from the lengthy interview:

He didn’t want the album to be this statement of “Summer’s gone. That’s the end.”
Exactly. And that was a big thing for me because we’ve got another 10 or 12 songs that we didn’t have time to put on this record, and he perceptively felt that and was like, This is a downer. I really do want to do this again. Maybe. And it’s not really over.” “Summer’s Gone” was never really about being over. It was about being in a chronological version of a year, you’re not a kid anymore, it’s not spring. Maybe you’re best days of summer are over. But it doesn’t mean it’s all over. It just means summer’s over. So he tossed that around for awhile and decided that, you know what, it should be the last song on this album but maybe not the title.

Another one that we had that was around was the first one on the second side called “Strange World.” Second side, I’m looking at…

The vinyl.
Exactly. That was done as part of a suite that he was always interested in writing. On this record it’s called “From There to Back Again.” He really wanted to do like a kind of reflection of California from the standpoint of a, you know, a guy who’s almost 70 years old. So it’s driving down Pacific Coast Highway and thinking about his life in retrospect. So this suite was a series of maybe one or two minute vignettes that he had like 15 of them that he would start and never finish. When I put them together on ProTools, it was eerie to me that they all fit together. It was like, wow. This song was written a year before the song that followed it, but yet they fit completely perfectly: modulation, key move, the whole thing. Then Brian started assembling these little bits and I kind of dreamed… I was 10 years old when Smile was recorded, but I kind of dreamed that was how that happened. I have no special authority to tell you that’s how it did. It just seemed like all these little pieces became like this theme, and instead of being Americana or whatever Smile was, it was his drive down Pacific Coast Highway.

So there were more pieces? There are only four or five on the record.
Right. We’ve got another 10 or 12 vignettes that we don’t know what to do with yet.

All on the same theme?
Oh yeah, yeah. They all fit together. I’m hoping someday that that will come out in its entirety. The whole suite, as it was always intended to come out.

Note that from what Thomas says the playing order of the vinyl was indeed shuffled prior to release from what was originally intended. I'd thought the shuffle was to accommodate timings, but this implies the possibility of an "otherwise"…

Worth reading the rest of the interview if you haven't already – there's some interesting info in there.

http://andrewromano.tumblr.com/joethomasbeachboys

But my guess is that if the suite were to be included in the box, the band would have to have returned to the studio to flesh out some of Brian's ideas that Thomas had down on tape for years.

“We live in divisive times.”
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2012, 06:45:06 AM »

Great stuff! I didn't think that "Summer's Gone" was meant to be the last Beach Boys song. Go out Rockin' and Rollin'!!! Rock and Roll album, please??!!!  Wink

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2012, 06:54:19 AM »

Great stuff! I didn't think that "Summer's Gone" was meant to be the last Beach Boys song. Go out Rockin' and Rollin'!!! Rock and Roll album, please??!!!  Wink

Brian said he wanted a harder sound if they do another album. It'd be much more appropriate as a Beach Boys album, to me, and I'm really hoping it happens that way and is the end result of Brian's previously mentioned rock & roll album that he's been talking about for ages now.

Don't know if I'd want them to end on that, but I definitely want to see it happen.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2012, 07:02:56 AM »

I'd like to see as much unreleased archive material on the new box set as possible.

But how about a 'best of' disc of Beach Boys solo material?

Getting all the rights from various sources might be a problem but a collection of Beach boys solo material would be great!

Any material left from Dennis? Some cuts from POB and Bamboo would be included.

Carl's solo albums could be represented here.

Brian? Obviously. (I'd like to see the current group record "Love and Mercy" and some other Brian solo songs)

Al and Bruce have solo material. Throw in a few from David and the Marksmen.

Mike? He's got a few rare albums of material, too. I'd l like to see the Celebration material included. 'Almost Summer', 'Country Pie', 'Hows about a little bit...' were all originally recorded or played LIVE by the Beach Boys.

It's part of their careers...not as a group but still part of the story.

Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2012, 07:16:53 AM »

The solo compilation is a neat idea, but it's better kept separate from the big box. With so many great BB songs still in the can, it would be silly to "waste" precious disc space on solo stuff which, let's be honest here, just isn't as good as the full band stuff.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2012, 07:17:09 AM »

But how about a 'best of' disc of Beach Boys solo material?
I really don't see that happening. Quite a bit of that material isn't owned by Capitol. And besides that, Mike's album, Carl's albums and 'Going Public' are even worse than what The Beach Boys were releasing around the same time.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2012, 07:22:53 AM »

Eagerly anticipating the First Love/Country Love twofer. EAGERLY.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2012, 07:27:40 AM »

In 2012, including all the usual hits etc... seems like such a waste of their time and my money.

Seriously, who doesn't have this stuff? I don't mind paying a lot for unreleased stuff, but i don't want it padded out by stuff i own multiple times already.

It'll probably be a variation on the GV 30 years box, but the 'rare' material will be swapped for currently unreleased stuff.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2012, 07:31:34 AM »

6 discs is rather a lot! We'll have to see.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2012, 07:36:02 AM »

In 2012, including all the usual hits etc... seems like such a waste of their time and my money.
The box will need the usual hits, otherwise nobody besides a relatively small group of hardcore fans is going to buy the thing. I think that something like 1/3 hits, 1/3 album tracks and 1/3 rarities would be a fair deal.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx