gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681012 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 11:55:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 321334 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 06, 2012, 02:00:55 AM »

www.amazon.co.uk/Made-California-Limited-Bo/dp/B008XZKSRY/

Wonder what this is?

“We live in divisive times.”
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 06, 2012, 02:30:22 AM »

Placeholder listing?

Just announce it already!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 06, 2012, 04:56:22 AM »

Getcha Back is the only good song on that album.

I agree.  Even if it's not that good a song, it's the best song on the album.  I hate that album.  It's hands down the worst album the boys made with Brian.

Sir, that would be 15 Big Ones.

(for some odd reason, I am drawn to '85 - the only song I really don't care for is "It's Just A Matter of Time". Loves me some "Passing Friend", all five minutes.)

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 06, 2012, 05:22:24 AM »

I agree.  Even if it's not that good a song, it's the best song on the album.  I hate that album.  It's hands down the worst album the boys made with Brian.

(for some odd reason, I am drawn to '85 - the only song I really don't care for is "It's Just A Matter of Time". Loves me some "Passing Friend", all five minutes.)

What? No way. 15 Big Ones have 'It's OK', 'Had to Phone Ya', 'That Same Song', 'Susie Cincinnati', 'Just Once in My Life', and 'Back Home' - all pretty good songs. BB85 has got 'Getcha' Back'. Enough said.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 06, 2012, 06:12:07 AM »

What? No way. 15 Big Ones have 'It's OK', 'Had to Phone Ya', 'That Same Song', 'Susie Cincinnati', 'Just Once in My Life', and 'Back Home' - all pretty good songs. BB85 has got 'Getcha' Back'. Enough said.
Replace Had to Phone Ya with A Casual Look & Just Once in My Life with TM Song, add R&R Music, Blueberry Hill & Chapel of Love and you've got rather a good collection of songs IMO.

Taste is certainly subjective Wink

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 06, 2012, 06:35:43 AM »

Ooh no...15 Big Ones has plenty of uninhibited, odd Brian at his best. MIU, Keepin' the Summer and '85 are barely listenable to me because the production is too sanitised. It's like, post Love You they all decided THAT was never going to happen again, and it hasn't.

With Dennis gone they lost any kind of soul (and hipness) in the music, no more 'wacky Brian' productions. Those were the things that kept them artistically interesting during the late sixties and seventies, imo.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 06, 2012, 06:46:50 AM »

Ooh no...15 Big Ones has plenty of uninhibited, odd Brian at his best. MIU, Keepin' the Summer and '85 are barely listenable to me because the production is too sanitised. It's like, post Love You they all decided THAT was never going to happen again, and it hasn't.

With Dennis gone they lost any kind of soul (and hipness) in the music, no more 'wacky Brian' productions. Those were the things that kept them artistically interesting during the late sixties and seventies, imo.

fully agree.

by the late 70's Carl and Dennis were the only cool guys left. Brian had his eccentric/great moments, but Mike/Al/Bruce were about as lame as one could get. After LA Dennis slipped away and Carl gave up. The result being the utter trash KTSA (it's sh*t, whether one enjoys it or not, its just total sh*t...with an equally sh*t cover and production). 85' is not much improvement on KTSA (meaning it too is generally sh*t, the few good songs are rammed by sh*t production).

PS: I do like Goin' On, but if that is the best they can make then God help them (he didn't, because he thought it was sh*t too)!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 06, 2012, 07:03:38 AM »

Best song on Beach Boys 85: Karma Chameleon. 
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 06, 2012, 07:44:18 AM »

Replace Had to Phone Ya with A Casual Look & Just Once in My Life with TM Song, add R&R Music, Blueberry Hill & Chapel of Love and you've got rather a good collection of songs IMO.

There is absolutely no way this post can be serious.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 06, 2012, 08:03:17 AM »

And the Amazon.de listing was removed.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: September 06, 2012, 08:40:15 AM »

I think Ian's just died.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 06, 2012, 08:44:32 AM »

After LA Dennis slipped away and Carl gave up.

I don't know if this is true. Dennis didn't slip away so much as get booted out. I'm sure, if asked, he would have happily contributed material to KTSA and a follow up if he was still around. And with Carl, I think he was still trying, but his tastes were just becoming a lot less "hip". It looks like he was honestly trying with stuff like "Keepin' The Summer Alive" and "Livin' With A Heartache", but that it was just more predictable and not as artistic sounding as stuff like "Feel Flows" "Angel Come Home". Same thing with his stuff on the self-titled album. He was trying to make the band contemporary, but instead of leading like they used to, it sounded more like he was following the sounds of the times.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 06, 2012, 09:12:04 AM »

I think Ian's just died.

No, just wounded a bit from beating my head against the wall. But it's cool.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 06, 2012, 09:22:06 AM »

I think Ian's just died.
I am about to as well. TM song is like one of the worst BB material ever released.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 06, 2012, 10:02:56 AM »

I agree.  Even if it's not that good a song, it's the best song on the album.  I hate that album.  It's hands down the worst album the boys made with Brian.

I like 15 Big Ones.  It's OK, Back Home, Just Once in My Life, Had to Phone Ya, Susie Cincinnati, That Same Song,  those are some good songs.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 05:56:16 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 06, 2012, 10:12:49 AM »

"Made In California" (5 important songs on a 6 disc set,for the first time ever you will get every recording,demos,and alt takes  known for five historical songs we also include a rare live performance of each song as well)  Shocked
Disc #1 -"Surfin,what the beach boys are all about" -for the first time ever you get 78 minutes of the very first song ever recorded by the beach boys,including the rare out of print version from the now out of print "Summer in paradise" and a live "lip Synch" version an early tv appearance.
Disc #2-"The Problem Child Sessions"-for the first time ever we are releasing the complete sessions for what most fans call the last  great beach boys song,this disc contains not only the outtakes but a couple new remixes and a newly discovered live performance and piano demo with mike love on the piano. In Honor of the late John Ritter the song has been remixed with a syphony orchestra to pay tribute to a great comedian.
Disc#3-"Hey Little Tomboy,Listen to this disc"-Hey all you tomboys out there check out this disc dedicated just for you,for the first time ever you get to hear a pristine remaster of the lost tomboy sessions as well as a new duet,it also includes a piano demo with Brian and Dennis.
Disc #4-"Duets"- for the first time ever we are releasing every duet they ever did,including the now rare out of print "Stars and straipes" cd in it's entirety.
Disc#5-"Forever-The John Stamos sessions"-for the first time ever we are releasing the complete "John Stamos Forever sessions",we also found 5 live performances which will be included on here,as well as a "duet" between he and the late Dennis Wilson using todays best technology we took out certain parts of Johns voice and carefully placed it on the original Dennis Wilson version,we think Dennis  would be proud.
Disc#6-"Unreleased gems"for the first time ever the last disc is saved for the best,their greatest unreleased songs,including the long lost "Cocain Sessions",some of the songs slated for release are "Drip Drop","The battle hymn of the republic", and outtakes of "TM song",A demo of "Dennys drum" and live performances of "Ding Dang" and "Summer of Love"
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:13:53 AM by joshferrell » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 06, 2012, 10:12:59 AM »

I like 15 Big Ones.  It's OK, Back Home, Just Once in My Life, Had to Phone Ya, Susie Cincinnati, those are some good songs.

I like the originals on 15 Big Ones (except TM) - but I find the covers to be pretty terrible. Glad you dig it, though.
All of you who have heard the BB version of "Just Once...", have you heard the original Righteous Brothers version? So powerful.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #292 on: September 06, 2012, 10:44:49 AM »

I agree I only play the 45 of Getcha Back/Male Ego.

Nonsense. Where I Belong is hands down THE best Beach Boys song of the eighties!! (Also It's Gettin Late and I Do Love You also good songs. Getcha Back is the 5th or 6th best song on BB '85 - not my opinion, but a proven scientific fact).
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 06, 2012, 10:47:19 AM »

I like "Where I Belong"..it's one of Carls best songs and blows away most of his solo stuff.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 06, 2012, 10:58:30 AM »

Like I said before, I like just about the whole album but I don't get the praise for Where I Belong. I think it's good but certainly nothing special....

Paulos
« Reply #295 on: September 06, 2012, 11:04:07 AM »

I think Ian's just died.
I am about to as well. TM song is like one of the worst BB material ever released.

Thirded, I hate that piece of sh*t song and cannot seriously believe that RangeRoverA1 thinks this is the best song on 15BO. But then again, she does hate The Everly Brothers and Koalas so who knows?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 06, 2012, 11:06:44 AM »

Does anyone else cut the Beach Boys much more slack than they would other groups? I mean I have most of 15 Big Ones, MIU, KTSA BB85 on my mp3 and DO listen to them from time to time, but when it comes to other groups I like that have put out albums of a similar mediocre quality as the ones mentioned above they never even get a lookin on my playlist. It seems I'm much more willing to forgive the BB's than I am other bands.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 11:08:15 AM by The Return of the Son of Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 06, 2012, 11:12:18 AM »

I'm sure we all do compared to the average person -- liking Love You is probably one of the better examples of this sort of thing -- but even I don't listen to any albums after 1977. There's just no point for me -- there are some good songs, sure, but they're few and far (far!) between that the GV box set has almost all you seriously need (except "Love Surrounds Me" and "My Diane").
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 06, 2012, 11:23:47 AM »

I think Ian's just died.

Thirded, I hate that piece of sh*t song and cannot seriously believe that RangeRoverA1 thinks this is the best song on 15BO. But then again, she does hate The Everly Brothers and Koalas so who knows?

I'm almost getting to the point where I think her iconoclastic tastes are so odd that they go all the way through crazy and into cool. Maybe she is the "clue to the new direction".

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: September 06, 2012, 11:40:43 AM »

yeah, at first I thought her strange opinions were annoying but now I find them very amusing.

As immodest as it may sound, from all the usernames I like my own. It begins with "R" and ends with "r". And in the middle is also the same letter. Besides, I like difficult-sounding names, some roughness in them. And the last: once seeing this car model on TV, I immediately liked its design, type etc. But mind that I don't know anything about the automobiles, neither their characteristics nor the titles of details and various car-related terms.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx