gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681012 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 12:27:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Made in California" Box Set  (Read 321337 times)
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2012, 01:51:23 PM »

Y'know who else we should be including? Blondie - his solo offerings are some of the best of all the present and former Beach Boys. He might have had only a short tenure with the band but I wish this reunion was benefitting from his presence and his creative input. That could have been the sugar frosting on the icing on the marzipan on the cake!

I probably wouldn't want solo stuff to take up precious space on the box set, but that said, the unreleased second Flame album is amazing. I heard it just the once, and I was blown away. I seriously hope to see that get released.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2012, 02:12:15 PM »

Done. Smiley

Here's the link for anyone having trouble finding it. It's in another section (which makes sense).

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,14170.0.html

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2012, 02:22:58 PM »

Y'know who else we should be including? Blondie - his solo offerings are some of the best of all the present and former Beach Boys. He might have had only a short tenure with the band but I wish this reunion was benefitting from his presence and his creative input. That could have been the sugar frosting on the icing on the marzipan on the cake!

I probably wouldn't want solo stuff to take up precious space on the box set, but that said, the unreleased second Flame album is amazing. I heard it just the once, and I was blown away. I seriously hope to see that get released.

Agree regarding solo stuff on the box... The space is too precious!

Would love to hear Flame II... Suspect that'll happen one day, along witha legitimate release of the First album. I digress…

“We live in divisive times.”
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2012, 03:52:21 PM »

Maybe we'll also get another unreleased concert.

I like this idea, get the hits in via the Chicago '65 show

That's on the very top of my wish list.
It's also possible that a lost BBC session from '64 was found (they played "Hushabye" on the radio a few months ago from that session). That would also make a great addition. These shows are not very long and I guess both could easily fit onto one CD

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2012, 11:35:32 PM »

Maybe we'll also get another unreleased concert.

I like this idea, get the hits in via the Chicago '65 show

That's on the very top of my wish list.
It's also possible that a lost BBC session from '64 was found (they played "Hushabye" on the radio a few months ago from that session). That would also make a great addition. TheIe shows are not very long and I guess both could easily fit onto one CD

I'd hope that the BBC might have other gems in its archive, sufficient for it to release its own set in future - bit like it has with the Kinks recently and is set to be doing with the late great John Martyn in the months to come.

Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2012, 11:46:49 PM »

Live tracks would be great, but not on the box. I'd like to hear full concerts, but they'd fill the box up in no time, and I want as as much room as possible saved for the studio rarities.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2012, 12:51:31 AM »

Do we know who is compiling the tracklisting yet? I very much hope it´s Alan Boyd or someone similar and not the group themselves, otherwise we´re liable to get Tears In The Morning, Student Demonstration Time, Don´t Go Near The Water (what was THAT lightweight fluff doing on Warmth of the Sun??) etc, and the usual under-representation of Dennis, who´s estate unfortunately has no say in anything.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2012, 01:21:39 AM »

Well in regards to The Beatles, EMI originally wanted to release a single LP of outtakes entitled "Sessions" back in 1985 but it was killed dead because The Beatles at that time had quite the contentious relationship with their old record label and were in the process of suing them.  For what it's worth, I'm of the opinion that "Sessions" might have been better recieved by the general public if it had been released in 1995 in comparison to the "Anthology" series.  Don't get me wrong "Anthology" sold a ton but back when it came out, diehard fans were ticked off at all the remixes while causals ones were expecting a more traditional boxset probably in line with The Beach Boys' "Good Vibrations" box.  There was a great deal of gripes and grumbles from fans who thought they were purchasing a collection of Beatles hits and instead recieved a collection of Beatles alternate takes.  The "Anthology" also probably killed dead the possibly of any future Beatles releases (in the vein of The Beach Boys' "Hawthorne" or Dylan's "Bootleg Series") as well because "Anthology" truly exploited the most commercial material left in The Beatles vaults.  What remains in there now would only be of interests to the diehards whom The Beatles apparently don't market to.  But I digress.

I agree that Sessions would have been a MUCH better release. It basically cut away the fat and would have given us most of the essential stuff. You could have had "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love" at the beginning, and that would be that.

However, I do think there is a bit of material left for a great Beatles archival release. You could have "Sour Milk Sea" with George on vocals, "Goodbye" by McCartney, a finished "Now And Then", and probably some other stuff.

But anyways, enough about The Beatles.

Am I the only one who LOVED the Anthology Sets...? I was on the verge of casual -> diehard transition and it was perfect.

It's the alternative-universe Beatles narrative.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2012, 01:39:39 AM »

Do we know who is compiling the tracklisting yet? I very much hope it´s Alan Boyd or someone similar and not the group themselves, otherwise we´re liable to get Tears In The Morning, Student Demonstration Time, Don´t Go Near The Water (what was THAT lightweight fluff doing on Warmth of the Sun??) etc, and the usual under-representation of Dennis, who´s estate unfortunately has no say in anything.

why does Dennis' estate have no say? I have seen this before, that only Mike, Al, Brian and Carl's estate has a say, but why not Dennis? I know at some point they took away his rights in the late 70's so Mike, Al and Bruce could override Carl and Dennis (and perhaps Brian's) opinions/decisions. Was this not key to Dennis getting depressed and falling out further?
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 24, 2012, 01:40:08 AM »

I do love them, kinda. Six discs filled with great songs by one of the greatest bands ever, what's not to love? But to be honest, I would be happier with one jam-packed double CD. All the unreleased songs and significantly different versions, and that would be it.

And they kind of screwed up by editing some of the songs, comping songs from different takes and not including Carnival of Light! So, George didn't like avant garde, like the official explanation? Boo-hoo! And those speech tracks on Anthology 1 were useless at best.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2012, 02:35:26 AM »

why does Dennis' estate have no say?
They sold their share to BRI.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2012, 03:26:04 AM »

why does Dennis' estate have no say? I have seen this before, that only Mike, Al, Brian and Carl's estate has a say, but why not Dennis? I know at some point they took away his rights in the late 70's so Mike, Al and Bruce could override Carl and Dennis (and perhaps Brian's) opinions/decisions. Was this not key to Dennis getting depressed and falling out further?

Not exactly - in the late seventies, Brian couldn't be bothered with corporate affairs, so he either just didn't show/vote, or gave his vote to Mike... but the end result was much the same. Dennis' estate sold his vote and share of BRI back to the corporation for a reduction in his outstanding debts.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2012, 03:55:47 AM »

Alan has apparently taken a step back from BB's archival product this year, for reasons including but not limited to his health scare earlier this year. Unless they're getting someone else in, you're looking at Mark Linett and Dennis Wolfe (who lead up TSS) as the guys behind it.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2012, 04:36:55 AM »

Alan has apparently taken a step back from BB's archival product this year, for reasons including but not limited to his health scare earlier this year. Unless they're getting someone else in, you're looking at Mark Linett and Dennis Wolfe (who lead up TSS) as the guys behind it.

Well as the TSS box was fantastic that´s very good news, if its the case...
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2012, 04:42:04 AM »

Ah yeah. Dennis Wolfe in particular seems very cool and totally appropriate for this sort of thing - he's the guy running things from the label's end, it would seem, so in light of that he was able to get TSS up to 5 discs and probably sell the big brass on things like the packaging and lavish booklet, which Mark & Alan noted they had a bit of difficulty with. [/speculation based on his job title]

He's also linked with the reissue campaign, lest we forget. So this should be great!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 04:43:24 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2012, 08:31:36 AM »

The GV box had around 140-145 songs on 5 discs.  SOS had 30 songs on 1 disc.  If we had close to 30 songs per disc on a 6 disc set that could be around 180 songs.  That leaves room for about 40 more songs than the GV box.  Supposing they would leave off around 20 cuts from GV, that would leave room for 60 different cuts other than what was on GV.

Now, make a wish list of 60 cuts you would add IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE of this project.

I might include;

California Feeling with the Carl and Bruce vocals
SIP single and lp versions
Selected Live cuts from the Live BOX SET tour of 93 (remains unreleased)
Selected cuts from the Live Nassau show (remains unreleased)
A few DW gems
Selected tunes from TWGMTR
DFTS from the Postcard LP
Today from BLW
Maybe from BB85
A dozen of the best unreleased songs out there on boots, cleaned up

feel free to add or make your own list....there is room for much more

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2012, 09:06:08 AM »

The GV box had around 140-145 songs on 5 discs.  SOS had 30 songs on 1 disc.  If we had close to 30 songs per disc on a 6 disc set that could be around 180 songs.  That leaves room for about 40 more songs than the GV box.  Supposing they would leave off around 20 cuts from GV, that would leave room for 60 different cuts other than what was on GV.

Now, make a wish list of 60 cuts you would add IF YOU WERE IN CHARGE of this project.

I might include;

A few DW gems
Today from BLW
Maybe from BB85

As others have said, I hope they omit live tracks from this set to allow for more studio work to find its debut release. A live box could find its way out there one day in the future consisting of some of the stellar gigs they have in the archive.

Same with the solo stuff… save it for a rainy day.

And I hope they're not going to duplicate much of any of the 93 box. Fans have had nearly 20 years to buy that now and if they've missed their chance, well, they blew it.  Let's have all-new stuff if possible.

Oh, and my copy of the GV Box had six CDs, not five…  Grin

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2012, 09:11:26 AM »

The sixth CD consisted of repeated songs from the other discs, because of prohibitive costs regarding publishing. Something to keep in mind for this new box.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2012, 09:13:54 AM »

The sixth CD consisted of repeated songs from the other discs, because of prohibitive costs regarding publishing. Something to keep in mind for this new box.

I think the sixth CD was specific to Europe.

And I hope they're not going to duplicate much of any of the 93 box. Fans have had nearly 20 years to buy that now and if they've missed their chance, well, they blew it.  Let's have all-new stuff if possible.

I think it is safe to say that a lot of the 93 box set tracks will be there (hits).  It would be nice if unreleased tracks from the 93 set are not duplicated here, and we only get new unreleased tracks.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2012, 09:16:19 AM »

I might include;

A few DW gems
Today from BLW
Maybe from BB85

Stuff I really want:

"Back Home" (B. Wilson/B. Norberg) 1963
"Where Is She" (B. Wilson) 1969
"(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again" (D. Wilson/S. Shapiro) 1971
"California Feelin'" (B. Wilson/S. Kalinich) 1974
"Barnyard Blues" (D. Wilson/C. Wilson) 1974
"In The Back Of My Mind" (B. Wilson/M. Love) 1975
"Goin' To The Beach" (B. Wilson/M. Love) 1979
"Boys And Girls" (B. Wilson) 1980
"Sweetie" (B. Wilson) 1981
"Dancing The Night Away" (B. Wilson/A. Paley/M. Love) 1995

I would also like to have the single mixes of "California Saga: California", "Rock And Roll Music", and "It's OK".

Besides that, anything else that I don't know of, such as late '60s/early '70s compositions by Brian or Dennis that we've never heard of. I'll take those if there are any.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2012, 09:21:36 AM »

I think the sixth CD was specific to Europe.

Sorry, I meant the fifth CD.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2012, 09:21:45 AM »

Not on my GV box set it didn´t. It had six songs, which appeared to have been picked entirely to appease the non-Wilson members of the group, urgo we got Tears In The Morning and Sumahama amongst others.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2012, 09:28:07 AM »

Not on my GV box set it didn´t. It had six songs, which appeared to have been picked entirely to appease the non-Wilson members of the group, urgo we got Tears In The Morning and Sumahama amongst others.

The sixth disc was for Europe only and featured songs that were hits in Europe but not in the U.S. (which is why they weren't included among the first four discs).
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2012, 09:35:06 AM »

The sixth disc was for Europe only and featured songs that were hits in Europe but not in the U.S. (which is why they weren't included among the first four discs).

...is the correct answer.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2012, 10:01:21 AM »

Dennis' estate sold his vote and share of BRI back to the corporation for a reduction in his outstanding debts.

Which is too bad because Dennis gets overlooked (maybe because some people realize that his songs would outshine their own songs?). The P.O.B. re-issue was a big success and I guess it was only becaue of that that "Lady" got on Summer Love Songs. I was hoping that it opened the door for more Dennis material. Let's hope....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx