gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 11:44:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian rehashing music  (Read 8007 times)
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2012, 12:58:39 PM »

Not many people are reading other people's posts in this thread.  police

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2012, 01:27:58 PM »

Surprising nobody's brought up "My Solution" to "Happy Days" yet. Where Brian borrowing the general feel of other folks' records is concerned....is it just me or does "Isn't It Time" bear a kinship to "What A Fool Believes" with which Brian has long had a love/fear relationship?

Speaking of "Happy Days," the opening piano riff was stolen from "Holidays."

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2012, 02:13:01 PM »

Surprising nobody's brought up "My Solution" to "Happy Days" yet. Where Brian borrowing the general feel of other folks' records is concerned....is it just me or does "Isn't It Time" bear a kinship to "What A Fool Believes" with which Brian has long had a love/fear relationship?

I don't understand how things like this happen. Not to further claim Brian isn't in the driver's seat with his own music, but given things we know (wasn't it Darian's idea to bring back the chant that opens "Morning Beat", or insert "Can't Wait Too Long" onto TLOS?), it feels like some songs come about due to Brian's folks digging through his back catalog looking for ideas he can use. I know Brian was known even in the 60s and 70s to pilfer old ideas years after they first came about, but some (definitely not all) of the recent examples seem a little off.

I just can't picture Brian suddenly saying, "I'm gonna bring back 'My Solution' with confessional lyrics about the struggles I've had in my life! And throw a terrible rendition of a piano bit from a Smile piece in the beginning for good measure!" I could be totally wrong, and obviously he went with it either way, but it just doesn't seem like an idear born in his head alone.

"My Solution" was a lot of fun, Brian surely recognizes this, but "Happy Days" is... well, it's definitely not a lot of fun. The end result is just so bad. The ridiculous intro (with non-ridiculous origin) which I can't, for the life of me, understand why it opens the song, the zombie children backup vocals, the "let's change Brian's 'My Solution' rant into it sounding like the voices in his head or something" vocal way in the back of the verse (what the f*** is that guy even saying?), the totally wretched saxophone honking in the verse, and then there's the whole "I'm happy and recovered now except not really" aspect of the lyrics.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
PhilCohen
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2012, 02:22:06 PM »

South American --> The Private Life Of Bill And Sue

I often wonder if Joe Thomas had more input into those two songs than Brian did.
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2012, 01:41:21 PM »

Trombone Dixie > Love To Say Da Da > Had To Phone Ya

As for Wonderful/GOK -- no. Easy mistake to make, but mistake none the less. Not at all the same thing.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2012, 01:53:41 PM »

South American --> The Private Life Of Bill And Sue

I often wonder if Joe Thomas had more input into those two songs than Brian did.

We know that Bill & Sue is Brian's verse and Joe's chorus, if that's a help.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2012, 12:23:07 PM »

Another one from Imagination (and hopefully, someone will read this post, not like my reference to "My solution")

The chord pattern from the "Your imagination" (those suspensions around the I chord) verses are lifted from the then-unreleased "Rainbow eyes"
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2012, 01:25:33 PM »

I never noticed that! That's silly.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2012, 02:12:14 AM »

Another one from Imagination (and hopefully, someone will read this post, not like my reference to "My solution")

The chord pattern from the "Your imagination" (those suspensions around the I chord) verses are lifted from the then-unreleased "Rainbow eyes"

To be fair, Your Imagination has the most cliched chord sequence known to man. I could say it's actually a rewrite of Forever's verse, y'know. Also, don't think Rainbow Eyes has the descending bassline?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2012, 03:12:59 AM »

Not many people are reading other people's posts in this thread.  police

LOL LOL LOL

my thoughts exactly, when I read the whole of it...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2012, 01:05:07 PM »

To be fair, Your Imagination has the most cliched chord sequence known to man. I could say it's actually a rewrite of Forever's verse, y'know. Also, don't think Rainbow Eyes has the descending bassline?

You are talking about the whole chord sequence, with the descending bassline, the same used on Forever and Love and Mercy (and Everyone's in love with you, amongs hundreds of them). Actually, I was thinking about how he plays with the first chord of the verses, which is also the key chord.
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2012, 04:38:43 AM »

I have always heard the origin of Good Vibrations in Santas Beard...verses are similar then the chorus builds up the same way... Smokin

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx