gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 06:25:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian rehashing music  (Read 8009 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 04:28:06 PM »

Trombone Dixie ----> Had To Phone Ya

Can someone PLEASE explain this one to me? I've never heard the similarity between these two tracks. And don't just say 'X said so', if Had To Phone Ya is Brian rewriting Trombone Dixie he ended up changing almost everything about it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 04:29:05 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 04:35:19 PM »

The melody of the bassline is the key between 'Trombone Dixie' and 'Had To Phone Ya', as well as some horn lines.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 05:33:30 PM »

Can someone PLEASE explain this one to me? I've never heard the similarity between these two tracks. And don't just say 'X said so', if Had To Phone Ya is Brian rewriting Trombone Dixie he ended up changing almost everything about it.

It took me ages and ages to hear it. Alas, I have nothing to show you to prove the case ;( anyone else?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 05:47:28 PM »

CIFOTM >> Little Bird

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 05:49:02 PM »

CIFOTM >> Little Bird

Really? Never heard that before.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2012, 05:50:06 PM »

If I understand the OP's question correctly The melody line from God Only Knows ("The world could show nothing to me") is quoted in the Smiley version of Wonderful.

Not quite. You mean the bit before the nonsense bridge, right? Incidentally, the nonsense bridge is Heroes & Villains chorus and Fade To Vega-Tables is, though! (Have a look on the tape box photos in the TSS booklet - the Fade is noted as being so!)

A lot of Smile (and thus Smiley Smile) is like that. Chalk it up to like 3/4 of the album stemming from being "Heroes And Villains" sections. "Heroes", "Vega-Tables" (both the verse and the fade), "With Me Tonight" (there's a version that uses the backing vocal arrangement from the verse of "Vega-Tables"), etc. etc. etc. etc. (although some people go too far trying to find similarities. imo.)

Also, roughly the same are "All Dressed Up For School" beginning -> "Heroes" section (the one after the 2nd chorus of the TSS edit), can't remember the proper name for it -> "Goin' On" beginning.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2012, 05:59:51 PM »

CIFOTM >> Little Bird

Sarcasm? Relisten to Little Bird and see if you can spot it. Once you hear it, you'll know - and you'll never unhear it!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2012, 06:31:41 PM »

"Loop de loop/sail plane song" and "daddy's little girl"...
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2012, 07:05:18 PM »

Surprising nobody's brought up "My Solution" to "Happy Days" yet. Where Brian borrowing the general feel of other folks' records is concerned....is it just me or does "Isn't It Time" bear a kinship to "What A Fool Believes" with which Brian has long had a love/fear relationship?
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2012, 07:10:36 PM »

CIFOTM >> Little Bird

Sarcasm? Relisten to Little Bird and see if you can spot it. Once you hear it, you'll know - and you'll never unhear it!

Are you referring to the "na na na" harmonies sounding like the piano melody? I'm lost, sorry. My ears must not be working today.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2012, 07:16:44 PM »

CIFOTM >> Little Bird

Are you referring to the "na na na" harmonies sounding like the piano melody? I'm lost, sorry. My ears must not be working today.

No. It starts in the part where the group vocals come in...."little bird up in a tree, came down and sang a song to me"....There's the same horn line and drum pattern, EXACTLY, as in Child.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2012, 08:49:20 PM »

Do You Like Worms >> Little Pad

Love to Say Dada >> Cool, Cool Water

Vegetables >> Mama Says

Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2012, 08:55:39 PM »

Windchimes --> Can't Wait Too Long

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2012, 08:56:15 PM »

CIFOTM >> Little Bird

No. It starts in the part where the group vocals come in...."little bird up in a tree, came down and sang a song to me"....There's the same horn line and drum pattern, EXACTLY, as in Child.

Ooh.. you're right. Jesus, I must be deaf. Good find.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2012, 09:35:57 PM »

CIFOTM >> Little Bird

Ooh.. you're right. Jesus, I must be deaf. Good find.

I heard that Brian had  hand in writing this song. I wonder if he wrote that section, or Dennis.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2012, 03:36:51 AM »

If I understand the OP's question correctly The melody line from God Only Knows ("The world could show nothing to me") is quoted in the Smiley version of Wonderful.

Not quite. You mean the bit before the nonsense bridge, right? Incidentally, the nonsense bridge is Heroes & Villains chorus and Fade To Vega-Tables is, though! (Have a look on the tape box photos in the TSS booklet - the Fade is noted as being so!)

A lot of Smile (and thus Smiley Smile) is like that. Chalk it up to like 3/4 of the album stemming from being "Heroes And Villains" sections. "Heroes", "Vega-Tables" (both the verse and the fade), "With Me Tonight" (there's a version that uses the backing vocal arrangement from the verse of "Vega-Tables"), etc. etc. etc. etc. (although some people go too far trying to find similarities. imo.)

Also, roughly the same are "All Dressed Up For School" beginning -> "Heroes" section (the one after the 2nd chorus of the TSS edit), can't remember the proper name for it -> "Goin' On" beginning.

Yeah, it gets a little silly trying to find similarity - people going, 'wow, descending notes must mean Rio Grande is a rewrite of that H&V intro' seems a bit strong, but I pointed that one out mostly for the tape box thing.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2012, 05:43:45 AM »

It took me ages and ages to hear it. Alas, I have nothing to show you to prove the case ;( anyone else?
Wasn't there a mash-up of these songs on Youtube? That was revealing for me at least.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2012, 08:13:44 AM »

At 1:08 and again at  2:10 where they sing "na-na-na-na-na-na-na" is a note-for-note quote of "The world could show nothing to me".

Have to disagree with this. Firstly, if to count an amount of notes to each "na" & an amount of syllables of that GOK phrase, the latter has 8 notes while Wonderful's line - 7. Secondly, 1st 2 "na"s have other notes & "The-world" repeats 1 note. Plus the last notes of 2 examples vary by structure of melody, if I may say that: the GOK's "No-thing-to-me" is more complex & dramatic than the final "Na-na-na"s that have quite simple note moves.

Saying that, I see what you meant by giving this example. What they have in common is some slight hint of psychedelia and melancholy in mood + Carl's way of singing seems very similar in both those lines. Or the whole songs, for that case. 

I already followed up my post with a correction. It is a contraction of both the "The world can show nothing to me" (which was E-D#-E-F#-A-B-C) and the "So what good would living do me?" line (E-D#-E-G#-C#-D#-E); or "The world can show-living do me" (E-D#-E-F#-C#-D#-E). But yeah, I accept that it is prolly a stretch.  Grin
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2012, 09:03:51 AM »

Good stuff here...pardon me if this one's already been mentioned and I missed it while scanning quickly...

Got My Pay > Marcella

And here is one that I don't think anyone else has ever mentioned before...

You Need A Mess of Help to Stand Alone > It's OK

If you listen to a couple times back-to-back, it's possible that it will become clear that the "Mess of Help" melody and song structure has been streamlined (a nicer way of saying "dumbed down"...), and the second half of the verse in "Mess" has been swapped into a bridge-chorus ("Gotta go to it, gotta go thru it"). You can also sing the "She don't know a thing" tag right over the "Find a ride" tag.

It seems as though Brian said to himself, "WTF, I can rewrite this funky one-off and turn it into something that sounds more like the Beach Boys"...
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2012, 09:53:17 AM »

Better Get Back In Bed>Lazy Lizzie

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2012, 11:30:25 AM »

Do You Like Worms >> Little Pad

Don't know why this one persists, as well as saying "Worms" became "Whistle In". There's a rhythmic similarity, but not much else, which isn't especially strong evidence. You'd almost have a better case for saying the guitar solo of "Santa's Beard" became the bridge of "Worms" or something.

Anyway, the mashups that people have done for the two songs should show how awful they sound together and how they likely have nothing to do wth one another.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2012, 11:47:26 AM »

"Little Pad" derives, in part, from the unreleased Smiley Smile outtake "Hawaiian Song".

As for "Worms"-"Whistle", I'd say more than a rhythmic similarity: the vocal melody -"wahaala lu lei/remember the day" et seq - is pretty much identical.

A riff tree might go like this:

Honda 55 -> All Dressed Up For School -> Heroes & Villains -> Goin' On
                             └>I Just Got My Pay -> Marcella
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 11:53:01 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2012, 11:50:54 AM »

Actually, I hear it as

'Love to Say Da Da' ---> 'Whistle In'

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2012, 11:54:32 AM »

CIFOTM >> Little Bird

Horn lines behind "Little bird up in a tree" after the middle eight. Brian's contribution to the arrangement.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2012, 12:58:34 PM »

As for "Worms"-"Whistle", I'd say more than a rhythmic similarity: the vocal melody -"wahaala lu lei/remember the day" et seq - is pretty much identical.

Not really, though. The repeating melody in "Worms" is two notes and five syllables, where as the repeating melody in "Whistle In" ascends, consists of five notes, and has six syllables. The "Keeny wok a poo lah" and "all day, all through the night" parts don't really have anything in common.

Even if you transpose one to the same key as the other, the melodies don't match up - I think only the first note is shared. I'd really chalk this one up to minor coincidence rather than Brian reusing something.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx