gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:00:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Wouldn't It Be Nice Vocal  (Read 6142 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 01:25:12 PM »

I think both versions are great. The version with Mike singing the bridge is best for hearing it on the radio, or a hits compilation or something. He does it in the classic 'Mike Love' style. The version with Brian on the bridge, I like that best when listening to Pet Sounds as an album. Brian hits on a really unique inflection that is more melancholy and wondrous.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2012, 02:36:07 PM »

Al totally nails WIBN nowadays and I have no idea why Jeff shadows him on it. He sounds better singing it nowadays than he did in the 70s, for Chrissakes.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 09:50:23 PM »

Maybe it's just my loss, but honestly, I am baffled by the folks who out and out prefer Mike's vocal to Brian's. And that's not saying anything about the phasing and extraction-y nature of the 2001 mix. Brian's impassioned delivery, the way he effortlessly shifts from edgy to delicate -- it's the perfect amount of emotion, easily one of my absolute favorite vocal moments.

I agree.  Brian nails it. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 12:45:16 PM »

What's crazy about Al doing it again, is that folks have mentioned that he stopped doing it in the 80's because he couldn't any more!  Now he can again.

Same thing happened with Paul McCartney.  His "tripping the live! Fantastic!" album is god-awful vocally in my opinion.  He sounds like a caricature of himself.  Amazingly a few years later, he got all the strength and power back in his voice.

I guess of course the same happened with Brian. 

Damn Vocal Coaches!  Gotta love 'em. 
freedomaspirer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 02:09:04 PM »

Annoyingly, it's bloomin hard to find a Brian live vocal of this in its original live key, on youtube at least, there's only 1 where he's not doubled, and it looks mimed!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx