-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:03:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Zeppo Wilson: The Beach Boy Time Forgot
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Zeppo Wilson: The Beach Boy Time Forgot  (Read 60048 times)
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2012, 02:18:44 PM »

Just to prove the old adage, "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you," Zeppo had Brian followed. A lot.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2012, 04:36:35 PM »

Brian and Zep at the American Music Awards.

anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2012, 05:00:18 PM »

First, I notice that Zeppo's handwriting from the band name checklist is the same as that on the proposed list of track names for the anticipated SMiLE album that was used for the printed sleeves. Zeppo was clearly involved in the whole planning process.

This is true.  However the commonly-reproduced xerox of the handwritten list leaves out Zeppo's rather crucial original heading:

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »

Looks like Zeppo was the only Beach Boy to not grow a beard. He also aged gracefully.

Here's something I recently unearthed. The ORIGINAL All Summer Long back cover:

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:31:56 PM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2012, 09:55:02 PM »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
John Lennon (interview from 1980)-"when me pal Paul died in a car accident in 1966 we were looking for someone to take his place,there was this chap that was with the beach boys,I think his name was zippy or something like that,he seemed to be on the outskirts of their band and was only around them once in awhile,anyways,with peace and love me and George met up with this zippy guy and asked him if he could join us in order to give us some insight on how to record better music,he seemed like a total git,he came by and was bossing us around,we managed to record a couple songs with him and it was just bloody awful,the music he did was nothing but noise and screaming,it made my bloody ears bleed,thank the gods above I never went down that route with me music,to make a long story short,we couldnt' stand it no more,he was bringing in this crazy lady who he called Harpo,he claimed it was his sister,she played on "She's leaving home", after a few days she became unbareable because all she did was sit there and she never said a bloody word, so we fired zippy,he didn't care too much,he just left and said something about how he was going back to the beach boys to do music that would make us smile and ruin our carrers so that no one would buy our stuff and we would become reclusive, he was out to get us. We finaly found a nice chap named Billy Shears to take his place,but those few days with him was sure a bloddy drag,last thing I heard he was hanging out with some high class hollywood shrink trying to write songs with him and Brian Wilson,oh bloody hell!!!"

I think there was something about that in The Walrus was Paul

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2012, 10:01:22 PM »

According to unconfirmed sources, Zeppo went around the world tryng to find a drummer for the Pendletones. He came across a chap named Ringo Starr. Unfortunately, Ringo joined the Beatles instead. Then Audrea suggested Dennis. Zeppo wasn't convinced. But he knew that his sex appeal would be a great asset to the band.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
TopCat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2012, 01:59:19 AM »

There are supposed to be hidden tracks with demo songs from the short-lived Zeppo and the Z-Listers combo on disk 7 of the Good Vibrations (GV30) box set from 1993. Unfortunately, I have only been able to buy the regular US set that did not have this bonus disk. Did this only appear on the Japanese release? What were the tracks? One song, "Just Like The Stars (Your Teeth Come Out At Night)", is regularly claimed to rival WIBNTLA but few collectors (including me) seem to have heard it.

Update: Have been told that there were only 1000 copies of this particular box set, and that SOT editions were seized in a raid in Luxembourg in 2004.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 02:05:41 AM by TopCat » Logged
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2012, 12:31:58 PM »

The track lineup for the 7th disc of Zeppo demos was:

Just Like The Stars (Your Teeth Come Out At Night)"
If My Aunt Had Balls (she'd be my Uncle)
She's Your Mother, Not Your Sister
Bobby, Dale, Holly and Harpo (from the Hamburger Today sessions)
Run Chico Run (instrumental)
Maggie, She Needs Me - that was a tribute to the actress Margaret Dumont
Dollars, Taxes (Is My Home) - a western style track for Mike's Country Love LP.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2012, 12:55:55 AM »

The track lineup for the 7th disc of Zeppo demos was:

Just Like The Stars (Your Teeth Come Out At Night)"
If My Aunt Had Balls (she'd be my Uncle)
She's Your Mother, Not Your Sister
Bobby, Dale, Holly and Harpo (from the Hamburger Today sessions)
Run Chico Run (instrumental)
Maggie, She Needs Me - that was a tribute to the actress Margaret Dumont
Dollars, Taxes (Is My Home) - a western style track for Mike's Country Love LP.

Track #3 was a Bobby Darin original, of course.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2012, 11:07:42 AM »

Quality research, fellas. It's good to see crackpot stochastic scholarship working so smoothly.

I'll have some material about the disastrous Mike, Zeppo, and Dean period shortly but I'm still hip deep in EVERYTHING IS FESTIVAL III: THE DOMINATION. AieeeeeeeeEIEIEIEIEIEI!

I repeat my command for Los Angeles characters to head down to Cinefamily, the programming is absolutely ludicrous beyond belief. Cynthia Rothrock? Pete & Pete reunion? The Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling? Plus: That one stoned comedian that interrupts people and laughs at his own jokes. Oh yeah, and some of my shorts on Sunday's Found Footage Battle Royale -- including at least 200mg of Michael Edward Love at full pharmaceutical strength... so give him some DUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Still not sold?

How about an A CAPELLA rendition of Koyaanisqatsi? See, told you.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 03:37:17 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2012, 11:14:51 AM »

Zeppo had this nasty habit of making weird noises in the backgorund/intros of the recordings,like coughing, doing immitations a little kid, and saying random words here and there..also when he was with the Beatles for that short time period you can hear him saying,"Yup" on "hey Bulldog" and he put his infamous "yup" sound on Jan and Deans "Deadmans Curve" he liked to say "Yup" alot..
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2012, 11:40:54 AM »

Still not sold?

BRB, running to LA.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2012, 12:01:38 PM »

Still not sold?

BRB, running to LA.

https://vimeo.com/47212502

I'll be pointing cameras for the live stream of that Friday night, tune in at cinefamily.org! The other acts are equally "!" altho without lush harmonies.

Needless to say, Zeppo refused all offers of a short acoustic set.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:05:38 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2012, 11:03:58 AM »

Thanks for this thread. The Zeppo discussion often begin and ends with his association with infamous "Murder Man", Marv "Murder Man" Mike.

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
TopCat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 06, 2012, 01:05:41 AM »

Whatever happened to the themed collection of BB tracks that Zeppo put together in early 1965? The novel idea (which preceded Pet Sounds by months and just might have triggered Brian's studio activity) was inspired by the fun and frolics to be had at various lakes and water park locations in California. Zeppo persuaded the breakfast-time jock on K-ELLOG-FM to play an early acetate from the album during a phone-in that summer, where he said that Chuck Britz and Brian had bounced the 8 tracks down to a punchy 1-track mix for AM radio. The song played was the title track from the next album, "Back To Mono", and the lyrics mention taking woodies and boards from the beach to the hills somewhere. Unfortunately Wikipedia and Google have so far provided little further insight. "Back To Mono" was picked up by the music gurus and press but was seemingly lost in transit somewhere after a campaign to secure its release.

I am convinced that Zeppo was a genius too. Cannot wait to see what makes the box-set later this year. Fingers crossed.

[Note added: Phil Spector is said to have abandoned an experimental quadraphonic SQ-Q4 rework of his Christmas album on hearing this track and of the pioneering recording method. He was regularly seen wearing a lapel badge to show his high regard for Zeppo's music.]
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 02:37:38 AM by TopCat » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2012, 02:38:51 AM »

i was half-hoping this thread would be extinct by now...
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2012, 10:50:46 AM »

here's trivia that most people don't know...did you know that Zeppo Briefly left the Beach boys during the mid 70's to help the band Queen with a couple of their albums? it's true,he helped them with the albums "A night at the opera" and "A day at the races"..
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2012, 09:48:22 PM »

Zeppo was also the fifth Rutle, having produced their albums. He was always weirded out that one of them sorta looked like Ricky Fataar, though.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2013, 10:05:36 AM »

Hey All--

Ever since I read these posts back late last year, I was fascinated to see if Capitol or anyone had ever done an official release with Zeppo.  I was obsessed with finding something with his name on it!!

Looks like he did get a release back in the early 1960s.    After months of searching, I found this at a Garage Sale in Hollywood.  

The songs are amazing.  I'm reminded of Gerswhin, Schubert, Beethoveen, Mancini, Morricone, Captain and Tenille, Billy Joel, and without a doubt, Beiber--ALL IN ONE!   Could Zeppo have really been the answer to all of Murry's dreams??

Shame he's not still producing music. Huh

Dogbone
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:15:42 AM by Dogbone51 » Logged
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2013, 10:24:15 AM »

Dogbone

The last I heard of him was in the late 80's where he filled in for Roy Orbison on The Traveling Wilburys' "Vol. 2" album. Apparently the stuff recorded was so bad that the others kicked him out, destroyed the tapes and moved straight on to "Vol. 3". I hear that the split all stemmed from a fight after Zeppo broke one of Jeff Lynne's reverb units. Does anyone know anything else about this?
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2013, 12:08:57 PM »

Hey All--

Ever since I read these posts back late last year, I was fascinated to see if Capitol or anyone had ever done an official release with Zeppo.  I was obsessed with finding something with his name on it!!

Looks like he did get a release back in the early 1960s.    After months of searching, I found this at a Garage Sale in Hollywood.  

The songs are amazing.  I'm reminded of Gerswhin, Schubert, Beethoveen, Mancini, Morricone, Captain and Tenille, Billy Joel, and without a doubt, Beiber--ALL IN ONE!   Could Zeppo have really been the answer to all of Murry's dreams??

Dogbone

Ohmigod, ohmigod, ohmigod.... do you realize what you have here?  These were two of the most important songs from that stack of Zeppo tapes that were inadvertently destroyed a couple of years ago!

We'd just about given up hope of ever finding any trace of these recordings!  After the recent flurry of interest in Zeppo, sparked in no small part by the fine scholarship of the folks on this message board, we managed to obtain, through a Freedom of Information Act request, a previously classified Capitol memo that described how 500,000 copies of this single were pressed at Capitol's New Jersey plant and were then immediately sent to a landfill and buried.  Apparently it was some sort of a shady accounting move that ultimately led to the Beach Boys 1967 lawsuit against Capitol after it was discovered that the label had charged the manufacturing costs to Murry Wilson's Diners Club card. 
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2013, 09:56:30 PM »

Murry Wilson's Diners Club card.  

Which, incidentally... still technically works and was just used to finance the forty-seven dollar recording of this cover of that immortal classic, Two-Step Side-Step: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cZZvYU4_D0

You're flatting, dear.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:02:47 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2013, 05:06:55 AM »

Hey All--

Dogbone

Ohmigod, ohmigod, ohmigod.... do you realize what you have here?  These were two of the most important songs from that stack of Zeppo tapes that were inadvertently destroyed a couple of years ago!

We'd just about given up hope of ever finding any trace of these recordings!  After the recent flurry of interest in Zeppo, sparked in no small part by the fine scholarship of the folks on this message board, we managed to obtain, through a Freedom of Information Act request, a previously classified Capitol memo that described how 500,000 copies of this single were pressed at Capitol's New Jersey plant and were then immediately sent to a landfill and buried.  Apparently it was some sort of a shady accounting move that ultimately led to the Beach Boys 1967 lawsuit against Capitol after it was discovered that the label had charged the manufacturing costs to Murry Wilson's Diners Club card. 

I've heard on the grapevine that the acetates for these two songs were the only ones Durrie Parks kept hold of. No-one knows why.....#Twilight Zone theme#
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2013, 08:22:33 AM »

That's because she has fond memories of that time she was caught flagrantly making out with Zeppo, who cheerfully insisted it was all innocent and he was merely "telling secrets in her mouth."

Also, have you heard the bass line on Run Chico, Run? Pure sex.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:13:48 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2013, 04:45:30 PM »

Also, have you heard the bass line on Run Chico, Run? Pure sex.

That's totally appropriate for that particular tune, as Chico himself was apparently quite the ladies man, his conquests outnumbering even Dennis' by the tens of thousands, according to people who have the free time and the inclination to research such things.  Chico was also an inveterate gambler - and a very poor one at that, always trying to beat the odds - and the song "Run Chico Run" is reputed to have been inspired by a couple of "wild situations" when he was caught in bed with the wives and/or girlfriends of gangsters to whom he owed massive gambling debts.  The record was suppressed partially because one of those gangsters owned a great deal of Capitol Records stock.

I recall Jon Stebbins telling me that Dennis loved the song, and that he used to pester Zeppo constantly for stories about Chico.  I've also heard that Dennis once boasted to a friend (Ed Roach? Steve Kalinich? James Garner? ) that he had seen "Animal Crackers" over 327 times.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 04:47:07 PM by Alan Boyd » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: