-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:20:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all do today?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 50   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all do today?  (Read 435357 times)
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 14, 2016, 09:48:04 PM »

I had my first day off work since like eons so...

not much. And I'm am okay with that.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 15, 2016, 01:57:29 PM »

I had my first day off work since like eons so...

not much. And I'm am okay with that.

Hey, u-m, good to see you around this neck of the woods.

My day was spent grandchild-minding and cooking for two families so it sounds rather like the opposite of yours. Grin     

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 15, 2016, 03:41:29 PM »

Been a bummer of a day so far.

Woke up to the update on the Nice tragedy.
Then had to deal with a very ticklish, uncomfortable family situation which won't end well.
Then had a scare when I found out that friends of mine, in the performing group I used to be in, were still in Turkey and were having difficulty getting out. Finally got word that after 5 hours they did get out and are now in Bulgaria.
Watching TV right now, people getting shot with the coup.

Could use a joke right now - wouldn't even mind if it was a bit off-color.

Will have to turn TV off to preserve my sanity. What's that saying - Keep Calm and Listen to Pet Sounds. Will do that tonight.
Also got the Uncut guide to Beach Boys in the post today. Will lose myself in that tonight.

Love and Mercy!  Cry

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 16, 2016, 06:17:49 AM »

Hope this makes you smile, NOLABBF. Goodness knows we need some humour in these dark days...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 16, 2016, 08:23:48 AM »

Hope this makes you smile, NOLABBF. Goodness knows we need some humour in these dark days...

The last time I went camping, I stayed up all night to see where the sun went, then finally it dawned on me.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 16, 2016, 09:17:47 AM »

Very punny!  Grin

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 19, 2016, 12:32:19 PM »

Not much, I'm afraid. Too darned hot.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 01, 2016, 07:48:12 PM »

Very emotional day.

In the late morning caught a screening of the documentary, "Gleason," at our local megaplex. It's about local hero Steve Gleason, a former professional football player who was diagnosed with ALS in 2011.  Part of it was a video blog for his son, born after the diagnosis, so that he would see his Dad when he could still walk and talk. Gleason is able to "talk" now thanks to technology allowing his eyes to pick out letters on a keyboard. He also programmed it while he could still talk so that the computer voice sounds like his.
The documentary touches on many themes, father/son relationships, caregiver burnout, spousal burnout, spirituality, handicap advocacy, quality of life/end of life issues. It was very moving and inspirational.
For me, the impact on me is similar to how "Love and Mercy" affected me last June when I first saw that.
It's showing in a handful of US cities now and will be in wider release in a couple of weeks. Since Amazon Video was involved in the production it should be available for viewing there in the not too distant future.
The trailer for the movie can be found online, or at TeamGleason.org
Gleason's motto: "No White Flags" (in other words, no surrender)

In the afternoon, was in communication with a sister who's a volunteer with the Red Cross in Maryland and sent video and other info concerning horrific flooding in Ellicott City, Maryland, outside of Baltimore. The video of the raging torrent through the town was shocking.

In the evening saw an uplifting documentary, Singing Revolution, about Estonia and how singing helped keep the populace United in the face of Soviet and Nazi occupations. This was followed by another documentary about a huge singing festival there. I found out about composer Veljo Tormis and checked out some of his stuff online. Very impressed
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 07:51:01 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 02, 2016, 06:25:44 AM »

In the evening saw an uplifting documentary, Singing Revolution, about Estonia and how singing helped keep the populace United in the face of Soviet and Nazi occupations. This was followed by another documentary about a huge singing festival there. I found out about composer Veljo Tormis and checked out some of his stuff online. Very impressed

Stirring stuff indeed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJMLIZjpKmw

Thanks for the tip... 

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 02, 2016, 07:49:26 AM »

Oh, that's wonderful!
Its great that he found the beauty in this and other work songs that he set to choral music.
I find this kind of music, be it "call and response," "antiphonal singing," "litanies", to be mesmerizing.
Amazing how people coped in a creative way with repetitive tasks, that putting a specific rhythm to them made them easier and more tolerable (and occasionally almost enjoyable)

Laying down track for the railroad: "Who ran the Iron Horse/Who ran the Iron Horse" etc.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 04, 2016, 05:18:32 AM »

Had a brief power cut. Made myself useful while it lasted it by peeling and eating some overripe plums.   

KDS
« Reply #261 on: August 04, 2016, 05:56:48 AM »

The weather in Baltimore was so nice yesterday, I went out on the deck and did something I rarely do on a worknight.  I popped open some beers and put some burgers on the grill.  Put on my Brian Wilson Pandora channel, and relaxed. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 04, 2016, 07:04:00 AM »

Nice, drink some natty bows? Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #263 on: August 04, 2016, 08:05:47 AM »

Nice, drink some natty bows? Cool

I had one Boh left in the fridge.  The rest were Miller High Lifes. 
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 05, 2016, 06:49:13 PM »

Evidently I've been the receiver of a mild sunburn.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 05, 2016, 09:27:44 PM »

The "heat index" hit dangerous levels the last couple of days, reaching over 45 degrees Celsius (114F). And the big weather news is that the low temperatures are incredibly high (record levels), so there's no opportunity to cool off at all at night. Our "low" temperatures have been over 28 degrees Celsius (83F). Add high humidity to the mix and its positively oppressive.
Thanks for converting to Celsius. 45 degrees - you sure? It's like New Orleans competes with Africa.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 06, 2016, 02:25:41 AM »

Yes it's been HOT. This July has been one of the hottest on record here.
Again, the 45 C was not the actual temperature but the "heat index" temperature (actual temperature was "only" 37 C). Don't know if your country uses this. But it's a measure of temperature plus humidity. Along with the heat here it's very humid, so this was considered to be in the dangerous category, that if you are working outside and don't get in the shade every once in a while and drink plenty of water you can get what is known as "heat stroke" which can kill you if not treated.
Sometimes when it gets super hot the sky will become dark and we'll have bad storms. This happened a couple of days ago - high winds, lots of rain, hail. We had a baby tornado hit just north of the French Quarter section of town, destroying or severely damaging 4-6 homes.

We're supposed to have real bad heat this weekend as well, then things will start to get "interesting" with a tropical system moving in probably east of here. A little nervous right now, as we're overdue for a tropical storm or hurricane. Think the last hurricane hit here in 2012 and caused lots of flooding outside of New Orleans as the storm didn't move for several days (the city itself didn't flood, but electrical power was out for a week in my neighborhood). Hated that storm. There were persistent 100-120 km winds for days, knocking over several small trees at the house, fortunately we were able to prop them back up with ropes and stakes and they survived. Not so with my herbs, The super heavy rains were too much for the sage plants, and killed 2/3 of my once beautiful huge Rosemary bush; that never recovered.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 02:37:17 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 06, 2016, 06:03:14 AM »

A little nervous right now, as we're overdue for a tropical storm or hurricane. Think the last hurricane hit here in 2012 and caused lots of flooding outside of New Orleans
According to some tornado documentary, the families build an underground bunker/house/some such for cases like these. with food & drink supplies, carrying things from main house etc for safety's sake. Do you do that?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 06, 2016, 06:51:21 AM »

An underground bunker wouldn't work in my city due to flooding. Our water table is also very high here - no basements. That's why we have what's called the City of the Dead, above ground tombs, a number of which are quite ornate. Don't know how many other cities have cemeteries as tourist attractions other than those with military connections.

Some places on the Gulf Coast are trying raised concrete houses that can withstand the high winds. On the coast the main problem is storm surge, the wall of water that comes in with a hurricane. With Hurricane Katrina the surge got to a US mainland record of 30 feet (9.14 m) which wiped out all of the houses and businesses. Very depressing to drive along the coast when the highway reopened and see nothing but emptiness the whole way.
With the domed house it's hoped that the surge would come over it but not wash it away, There's one in Florida I believe that survived a surge from a much less strong storm a few years back.

Oh my...  Just got an alert on my phone. One of our local Jazz icons, clarinetist Pete Fountain, has passed away.  :-(

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 06, 2016, 07:09:41 AM »

Oh my...  Just got an alert on my phone. One of our local Jazz icons, clarinetist Pete Fountain, has passed away.  :-(

I remember hearing a hit by Pete Fountain way back. I think it must have been this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbiVpcWIzbo

Sad news. Rest in peace, sir.

I sincerely hope the tropical storms stay away from your part of the world this time.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 06, 2016, 11:50:31 AM »

Today's gonna be a day of firsts, a day of adventure...

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 07, 2016, 04:05:49 PM »

Well, hope undercover-m's adventure was a good one!

We are in what are called the "dog days" of Summer. Guess it's called that because it's so hot that an outside dog, seeing a rabbit, cat, etc., will just think, "Whatever," and not bother with it.

Being a hot, sultry day I thought of "Summer Song," which Dave and wife Iola Brubeck composed, and was sung by Louis Armstrong.
In music, outside of the Classical realm,, there are only 2 composers whose compositions can move me to tears - Brian Wilson and Dave Brubeck.

Here's the song, Armstrong on vocals (his 115th birthday was a few days ago), accompanied by Brubeck. Perfect for front porch sitting, busy doin nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXSoA5I1smg[url]]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXSoA5I1smghttp://

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 12, 2016, 09:30:06 AM »

At home, under the weather.
Speaking of weather, it's shaping up to be a catastrophe down here. A tropical system has parked itself over us and isn't moving. Areas to the east, west and north of me have received unbelievable amounts of rain and more is expected.
When it's all done, the prediction is that some areas would have received upwards of 30 inches (over 760 mm) of rain! And with this will come more flooding from overflowing rivers and streams.
Right here it's been okay so far, no flooding but steady light to moderate rain. However our area is still in the "danger zone" so we're not out of the woods yet by any means.
All I can do is sit tight. Will play some "rain music" - perhaps It's Raining by Irma Thomas.
Just got an alert - the police and others are searching for child washed away in flood waters.
 Undecided

P.S. Or maybe Randy Newman's "Louisiana 1927" would be more appropriate.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 09:36:54 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 12, 2016, 10:00:45 AM »

Just got an alert - the police and others are searching for child washed away in flood waters.
 Undecided

How awful. That poor child. Thoughts and prayers for everyone out there...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 10:03:38 AM by john k » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 13, 2016, 10:49:52 AM »

I dusted and washed my desk (actually two tables in an L-shape) and dusted and tidied its contents. Drank some white wine and nibbled things at the lake with my better half.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 50   Go Up
Print
Jump to: