-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:55:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  So what did we all do today?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 50   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So what did we all do today?  (Read 435330 times)
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 24, 2016, 10:18:04 AM »

Started a band.

We got together and played for about 4 hours today. I wanted to name us The Mulberries, and now we're called The Mulberries. Way back before the band started, we worked on different songs based on the alphabet and corresponding musical notes/chords. The song for F is called "Forget About It," and I love that song. We still don't have one for D or E, and A is up in the air at this point. I suggested we round up all the songs, release them as an EP called ABCDEP, and then move onto other stuff. Work on those continues on Friday.

I'm looking forward to starting the new, not-overtly-silly music soon. Because we have a female in the band, I'd love to do something Pastels-y. I've written music for about four or five songs, but writing lyrics is a real struggle for me. I find it bizarre I can't translate my love of writing to writing lyrics.
I dig this idea. I wish you luck for the remaining letters. I've never really tried writing lyrics, but artsy writing sounds fun.

Last night went to a small party. Had around 4-5 Carlton Dry Lime Beers, though it was the joints and bongs that was the main scene there. Needless to say, it was one hell of a time!
Sounds like a good time.

Last night I watched a video with my friend from Sasquatch last year with Tame Impala playing.
I teared up because the intro and build-up and everything about "Let it Happen" is so beautiful.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 25, 2016, 10:12:55 AM »

Reviving old topic atm.

Avoiding an email I should send.

Feeling anxious for no reason, per usual.........

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 28, 2016, 01:52:06 PM »

Left New Orleans just in time before the storms came through.

While driving to Jackson, MS, listened to PS, TSS (through GV), Los Lobos' The Neighborhood, and did a cool down with Rick Nelson's great Live from the Troubadour.

Anybody have trouble driving while listening to Cabinessence? While listening to the Truck Drivin Man section I developed what we in the US call "lead foot." Looked at my accelerator and thought, Whoa Nellie. Lucky I didn't get a traffic ticket!

Relaxing in the hotel. Hot as you know what outside. The person at the front desk said, Oh, you're going to the Beach Boys concert! Well, sorta, 2 or 3 people who are/were Beach Boys (not 100% sure if Blondie will be here)

Will post about the concert later in the Tour thread.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 28, 2016, 10:06:48 PM »

Left New Orleans just in time before the storms came through.

While driving to Jackson, MS, listened to PS, TSS (through GV), Los Lobos' The Neighborhood, and did a cool down with Rick Nelson's great Live from the Troubadour.

Anybody have trouble driving while listening to Cabinessence? While listening to the Truck Drivin Man section I developed what we in the US call "lead foot." Looked at my accelerator and thought, Whoa Nellie. Lucky I didn't get a traffic ticket!

Relaxing in the hotel. Hot as you know what outside. The person at the front desk said, Oh, you're going to the Beach Boys concert! Well, sorta, 2 or 3 people who are/were Beach Boys (not 100% sure if Blondie will be here)

Will post about the concert later in the Tour thread.

I'm just hearing about all the storms.  Some posts are showing up on the main board.  I don't turn on the news, or check the weather much.  Did you drive up through Mississippi or Louisiana and cut over?  I always liked the drive up through Mississippi.

I love Los Lobos, but don't listen to Rick too often.  Hope the show was a good one, With Blondie!  

I saw some really good shows in Jackson back in the 70's.  Spent a lot of time in Vicksburg.  Beautiful place, Mississippi.  -Will
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:20:59 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 28, 2016, 10:30:20 PM »

Started a band.

We got together and played for about 4 hours today. I wanted to name us The Mulberries, and now we're called The Mulberries. Way back before the band started, we worked on different songs based on the alphabet and corresponding musical notes/chords. The song for F is called "Forget About It," and I love that song. We still don't have one for D or E, and A is up in the air at this point. I suggested we round up all the songs, release them as an EP called ABCDEP, and then move onto other stuff. Work on those continues on Friday.

I'm looking forward to starting the new, not-overtly-silly music soon. Because we have a female in the band, I'd love to do something Pastels-y. I've written music for about four or five songs, but writing lyrics is a real struggle for me. I find it bizarre I can't translate my love of writing to writing lyrics.

Well, it won't help me to get to 1000 posts, but this thread is friendly enough to spend some time.

Good luck with the band, Bubs.  Yeah, Bubs.  I ain't typing in that long one you have today.  Grin  Looking forward to hearing some of the new stuff.  In the appropriate thread, of course.  Think my posts count over there.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
KDS
« Reply #180 on: April 29, 2016, 05:12:38 AM »

Taking both allergy and cold medication to get through the day. 

One of those rare times that I suffer both a head cold and seasonal allergies. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 29, 2016, 04:32:41 PM »

Bought "Royal Canin" for cat and chocolate paste to glaze cookies. Speaking of, got email from NoiseTrade titled "You are NOT a Jar of Nutella". Way funny.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 30, 2016, 10:56:47 AM »

I have decided to buy a 12-string Danelectro.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 30, 2016, 11:00:38 AM »

I ordered one off eBay last week

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 30, 2016, 11:03:59 AM »

I ordered one off eBay last week

Cool, we can be Danbuds.
Which kind and how much was it?
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 30, 2016, 11:11:18 AM »

This one...cost $400 usd including the case.

I'm planning on using it for jamming...I play live every Friday and some Saturdays, it should be great for doing lead lines on stuff like Cantelope island

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 01, 2016, 03:35:49 AM »

Bought "Royal Canin" for cat and chocolate paste to glaze cookies. Speaking of, got email from NoiseTrade titled "You are NOT a Jar of Nutella". Way funny.

How were your chocolate-coated cookies, RR?

Me? Crafted and posted a palindrome. Listened to Celibidache conducting Bruckner as I worked. Tried to catch a mouse. Ate, etc.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 01, 2016, 10:51:00 AM »

Yesterday I...
went for a run, worked out, then escaped to a city park that was much more like a hike. My legs are dead.
But I saw a lot of nature, watched the sunset, and everything felt surreal. Lovely beach there, too.
Been feeling down so I really needed some kind of release. Connection with nature. I understand why Brian used the sandbox now.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 10:52:15 AM by undercover-m » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 03, 2016, 10:46:31 AM »

"W", the man who has been taking care of a neighbor's lawn, has been a friendly, cheerful person around here for a number of years. But I saw the other side of him, and reinforced how easy a life I've had in comparison. Found out this morning that his Granddaughter was the teenaged victim of a high profile murder which took place recently. And that most of his siblings have died from Diabetes and he's battling it himself. Finally, his Mother died during Hurricane Katrina.  Cry

Then went to Dentist for Checkup etc. A local radio station was playing "soft rock, great to relieve stress" according to a commercial. The "song" was a monotonous thing where there was something sung by one with a response of "sexy" something or other. Over and over. No wonderful melody. Where was the "hook?" Or the wonderful "middle 8th?" All of a sudden remembered my parents telling me to "turn that noise down." Then remembered that Sunday evening back in midSeptember 1965, at my Aunt's house (we were there as there was no power at our house as a result of Hurricane Betsy). The Beatles were on, and as Paul sang "Yesterday," my Mom said "Why can't all their music be like that?" Well, now I understand at least a little what she was getting at.
Speaking of Paul, expecting to get the Paul bio today so reading that will be on the schedule tonight, along with watching a TV bio of Janis Joplin on US PBS network.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 03, 2016, 11:23:16 AM »

Bought some dumbbells.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
ChicagoAnn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 03, 2016, 06:18:56 PM »

Coughing and hacking from allergies. Pollen is not my friend, though the trees are beautiful. Got a manicure. Don't feel like cooking.

The semester is almost over but that means I have to read all my students' work. Hence, writing here to procrastinate as I don't post much here. (But lurk a lot)

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 04, 2016, 10:38:10 AM »

^ Allergies suck. But I feel you—trees are beautiful!

On a somewhat similar note, I've been feeling severely sick for the past almost 48 hours now. It started off as sniffling and a sore throat, blew up in a nauseous, feverish mess. I feel a little better but my roommate wants me to clorox-wipe everything before I go.
Ugh. I just want my appetite back. All I've had since I got sick was some orange slices and this popsicle and some tea...

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 04, 2016, 01:02:50 PM »

On a somewhat similar note, I've been feeling severely sick for the past almost 48 hours now. It started off as sniffling and a sore throat, blew up in a nauseous, feverish mess. I feel a little better but my roommate wants me to clorox-wipe everything before I go.
Ugh. I just want my appetite back. All I've had since I got sick was some orange slices and this popsicle and some tea...

That's not good. You get well soon, ya hear? Smokin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 04, 2016, 04:59:06 PM »

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 04, 2016, 10:56:48 PM »

such music.
very college.
much hip
WOw.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 04, 2016, 11:04:14 PM »

I greatly dislike memes.

Anyway, it's just a picture of me tuning the guitar I mentioned earlier after just picking it up from the store. Takes a long time to tune, y'know.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 04, 2016, 11:42:56 PM »

I greatly dislike memes.

That's cool, though. New gear for your new band?
I'm pretty partial to sunburst-colored instruments. Nice guitar you got there.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:43:33 PM by undercover-m » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 06, 2016, 07:01:30 AM »

How were your chocolate-coated cookies, RR?

Me? Crafted and posted a palindrome. Listened to Celibidache conducting Bruckner as I worked. Tried to catch a mouse. Ate, etc.

I don't cook as chef, I tried to make little cat face picture with chocolate in each - didn't work. Better luck next time. But they were delicious!

Tried to catch a mouse? Do you have a cat? They don't eat mice because they're squeamish (good for them) but they kill them.

Re memes - tell me about it - they booorree me. I despise social networking, still don't get Twitter, when I try to read smb's Twitter, it's too much brainwork, they read so bizarre. Selfies? Annoying, I am waiting when it gets fad.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 06, 2016, 07:28:33 AM »

mmmmm, speaking of RR1 making cookies, do we have like a cooking/recipe thread? A place to boast how good (maybe mediocre) food we make?

I just had homemade bread toast with avocado + a little lime and a fried egg. I love breakfast.

edit: I also woke up early to register for classes. Yay....
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 07:30:17 AM by undercover-m » Logged

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 06, 2016, 07:29:43 AM »

That's not good. You get well soon, ya hear? Smokin
I'm alive! Residually sick but otherwise fine. Luckily it went away fast. But it wasn't fun when it was around.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 50   Go Up
Print
Jump to: