gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:05:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
The Beach Boys Today! - 77 (74%)
Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) - 27 (26%)
Total Voters: 94

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #8: Today! vs Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)  (Read 70616 times)
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2012, 06:54:18 AM »

I will even go out on a limb and say most of those fans are those that found the band from 1990 forward.
Are people responsible for their year of birth?  What a silly notion.  I began this obsession in 1981 when I was 7 and the album was...Endless Summer.

Anyway, I picked SD (& SN) over Today!.  Today! is better but the latter is more of an energetic all-rounder for me and I can play it any time.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2012, 07:24:16 AM »

I'd argue that as international fascination with the Californian myth subsided, so did the relevance, vitality and truth of Mike's  lyrics. Songs such as Salt Lake City and Amusement Parks USA are starting to sound stale for this very reason.

I guess Murry was right to sell the catalog for $700,000. It's never going to amount to anything. Just a passing fad.

I thought I was talking to fellow Beach Boy fans. You guys seem to resent everything the band stood for. I mean really stood for, not just the 2-year span when Brian was considered "hip".

Amusement Parks USA was just a lazy re-hash of County Fair

That's like calling "Strawberry Fields" a lazy rehash of "There's A Place".

Lyrically, it is week in several songs, like California Girls

Are you people out of your f***ing minds?

Yeah, it is frustrating, isn't it?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2012, 07:51:51 AM »

What, that people here don't just blindly agree with your whacked out opinions? Fella, you have your own board for that.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2012, 07:57:19 AM »

What, that people here don't just blindly agree with your whacked out opinions? Fella, you have your own board for that.

Listen, you clueless teabag, you are what I wipe off the bottom of my shoe after I walk through my lawn. Your opinions are square and laughable, and have been cribbed off others. Me and others laughed at you when you were on The Smile Shop, we were just too nice to tell you to your face. I know more about anything to do with rock and roll than you ever will, you Beatles suckoff. Go ruin their fanbase, please, give everyone else a rest. Or, as Leonard Cohen said, "How about trying a stainless steel razorblade?".

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2012, 08:03:28 AM »

I figured out a long time ago, this place is a home to the Pet Sounds/Smile only fans.

That's rubbish. I doubt there's more than a handful of people here, if anyone, who only enjoy that two year period.

I will even go out on a limb and say most of those fans are those that found the band from 1990 forward. Most fans who found the band in the 60s and 70s seem to have a better appreciation of all of their music.

Well 1986 Made In USA (an abundance of hits, I might point out) for me, so you were close.

Does better appreciation = reluctance to criticise any of Mike's lyrics for you? C'mon this is nonsense. I thought this was a discussion board. Surely debate over key albums is what makes this place interesting?
Just an observation of the threads that I peruse. Nice to know that is nonsense. I would hate to be on an anti Beach Boys board. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2012, 08:05:51 AM »

Man, this is like squabbling over the correct colour of feces.  As long as it feels good and your rectum isn't bleeding, all is well.  Right?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2012, 08:09:42 AM »

People start these type of threads, but then get pissed or defensive if you post different than the norm. It happens in almost every "versus" thread.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2012, 08:10:19 AM »

Listen, you clueless teabag, you are what I wipe off the bottom of my shoe after I walk through my lawn. Your opinions are square and laughable, and have been cribbed off others. Me and others laughed at you when you were on The Smile Shop, we were just too nice to tell you to your face.

Are you 6 years old?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2012, 08:13:04 AM »

your rectum isn't bleeding, all is well.  Right?

Well, mine isn't! "buddhahat", his might be, from what I've heard, anyway.
My opinion was simply that the Summer Days album, in its fullness, is as sure an example of Brian Wilson's genius as any other great Beach Boys album. And  I personally feel that a band named The Beach Boys have had a career that has mostly reflected positive, active lyrical concerns, and that is great, as the part of their catalogue that is more "emotion based" is as well. And I agreed with the strongly voiced thoughts of my friend Bubba Ho-Tep.
If that is "whacked out", then this is The Twilight Zone of Beach Boys boards.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2012, 08:14:27 AM »

People start these type of threads, but then get pissed or defensive if you post different than the norm. It happens in almost every "versus" thread.

Hey I have no problem with opinions different than my own, but defend my right to express my preference for Today without that making me some sort of narrow-minded johnny come lately of BB fandom!

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2012, 08:15:36 AM »

Listen, you clueless teabag, you are what I wipe off the bottom of my shoe after I walk through my lawn. Your opinions are square and laughable, and have been cribbed off others. Me and others laughed at you when you were on The Smile Shop, we were just too nice to tell you to your face.

Are you 6 years old?

I'm telling you the truth. You think you can say what you said, and not get it back threefold, you little poncy reject? Why didn't you speak to Bubba Ho-Tep that way? All I was doing was agreeing with him. Are his opinions "whacked out"? Just say it, I dare you.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2012, 08:16:50 AM »

Are you 6 years old?

I'm telling you the truth. You think you can say what you said, and not get it back threefold, you little poncy reject? Why didn't you speak to Bubba Ho-Tep that way?

I like Bubba Ho Tep.

Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2012, 08:18:32 AM »

I've taken two dumps today.  The first was like nautical rope to which an anchor was affixed.  The second was more like a chutney.  I liken Today! to the former as it was more mature and cohesive and satisfying over the long haul.  The latter reminded me of SD (&SN):  it had an immediate resonance and spontaneity.  Both were equally satisfying in their own particular way.

This post mirrors the quality of the bickering.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2012, 08:20:59 AM »

I've taken two dumps today.  The first was like nautical rope to which an anchor was affixed.  The second was more like a chutney.  I liken Today! to the former as it was more mature and cohesive and satisfying over the long haul.  The latter reminded me of SD (&SN):  it had an immediate resonance and spontaneity.  Both were equally satisfying in their own particular way.

Yeah, I just pooped out normal poop, but I feel quite relieved now.

Let's just talk about poop until the arguments stop.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2012, 08:24:11 AM »

Are you 6 years old?

I'm telling you the truth. You think you can say what you said, and not get it back threefold, you little poncy reject? Why didn't you speak to Bubba Ho-Tep that way?

I like Bubba Ho Tep.

Well, all I did was agree with what he said, you simp.

Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2012, 08:24:34 AM »

But what is "normal poop"?  We'll need to establish some guidelines for this conversation to progress.  Some poops are like the Second Coming of Christ while others are barely footnotes, yet both are essential to survival.  
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2012, 08:29:41 AM »

Ego, The Beatles wrote about a fairground slide, and no one seems to mind that.

Haha - well, I really like Amusement Parks USA and was, in fact, defending it here a few weeks ago but it's amusing that you make a comparison to Helter Skelter. I mean the lyrics to that aren't:

There's a great big slide just a few miles away
All the kids love to go when they're ready to play
They're going down (helter skelter helter helter skelter)
They're going down (helter skellter helter helter skelter)
Helter skelter's gonna bring you to the ground
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2012, 08:30:11 AM »

Hey I have no problem with opinions different than my own, but defend my right to express my preference for Today without that making me some sort of narrow-minded johnny come lately of BB fandom!

You called my observation rubbish and nonsense.  I have to respond to that stuff.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2012, 08:34:21 AM »

Haha - well, I really like Amusement Parks USA and was, in fact, defending it here a few weeks ago but it's amusing that you make a comparison to Helter Skelter. I mean the lyrics to that aren't:

Those are better lyrics, actually. Excellent job.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2012, 08:36:11 AM »

Those are better lyrics, actually. Excellent job.

Well, they may have prevented mass murder, so that's something.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2012, 08:36:38 AM »

You called my observation rubbish and nonsense.  I have to respond to that stuff.

The following observations of yours struck me as nonsense:

I figured out a long time ago, this place is a home to the Pet Sounds/Smile only fans. I will even go out on a limb and say most of those fans are those that found the band from 1990 forward. Most fans who found the band in the 60s and 70s seem to have a better appreciation of all of their music.
Remember now, I said most, not all. Wink

Maybe I should have responded more sensitively but I didn't mean to cause offense.

Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2012, 08:45:51 AM »

But what is "normal poop"?  We'll need to establish some guidelines for this conversation to progress.  Some poops are like the Second Coming of Christ while others are barely footnotes, yet both are essential to survival.  

Just your run of the mill brown.
It was pretty disappointing, but I'll try harder next time. Maybe it will make me proud.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2012, 09:00:29 AM »

But they aren't much better than that.

On paper, Helter Skelter’s lyrics suck. McCartney clearly pulled them out of his ass over a three-drink lunch. Any social statement hidden within was applied to the song later by imaginative hippies, mass murderers and McCartney revisionists who want to make him look as socially conscious as Lennon (see also: Blackbird). I could do the same thing with Amusement Parks USA if you give me half an hour to think about it (the song is really about the Military-Industrial Complex and the automobile industry destroying a way of American life).

I don't care if you like Today more, but I have to clear my throat when I hear the old "step backward" song and dance bullsh*t that people probably picked up from David Leaf liner notes or something. It's hogwash. There is clear advancement. It's a sophisticated album. And it contains their two biggest songs. If the lyrics to California Girls are so bad then why does every person on the planet know them by heart? It's like mocking the Star Spangled Banner.

The Today/Summer Days & Pet Sounds/Smile musical pendulum is reflective of the artist's (Brian Wilson) bipolar disorder.  
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 09:02:31 AM by Bubba Ho-Tep » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2012, 09:18:24 AM »

I don't care if you like Today more, but I have to clear my throat when I hear the old "step backward" song and dance bullsh*t that people probably picked up from David Leaf liner notes or something. It's hogwash. There is clear advancement. It's a sophisticated album. And it contains their two biggest songs. If the lyrics to California Girls are so bad then why does every person on the planet know them by heart? It's like mocking the Star Spangled Banner.

The Today/Summer Days & Pet Sounds/Smile musical pendulum is reflective of the artist's (Brian Wilson) bipolar disorder.  

Arnie Geller say "GOOD!".

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2012, 09:23:50 AM »

I ate a lot of chicken wings last night, and I do believe my rectum is bleeding. I don't know if it is from the wings or repeated viewing of this thread, though.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx