gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:45:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
The Beach Boys Today! - 77 (74%)
Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) - 27 (26%)
Total Voters: 94

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #8: Today! vs Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)  (Read 70445 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 01:25:11 PM »

Today! for me. Summer Days is a step forward musically but too often a step back lyrically.
You really think that between All Summer Long and Summer Days that they took a step backwards lyrically? We are talking a year here and Summer Days did not really deal with same type subject matter as Today. If you think about it, Today is kind of the odd ball album in terms of subject matter and how it was expressed. The whole album is expressed from a personal prospective, even on some of the fast songs, let alone all of side 2. The band would deal with this on one-off songs like In My Room & Warmth Of The Sun, but never a whole album's worth of songs.

(IMO) I think he means that Summer Days is a step back lyrically from Today, the album previous, and he's right for the most part. There are no songs about amusement parks, or driving to Salt Lake City, or being bugged at your ol' man, on Today.
The themes of the albums are completely different, so of course the lyrics are lighter on Summer Days. Except for the two dance songs, Today is a fairly serious album about  teenage angst.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 02:14:17 PM »

Impossible to decide.

Today is a huge personal favorite, yet in many ways Summer Days may be the ultimate Beach Boys album.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 02:15:20 PM »

Why do folks think that songs about emotional angst are a step "forward" lyrically? And that lyrics about actually having fun are a step "backward"?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 02:21:11 PM »

Why do folks think that songs about emotional angst are a step "forward" lyrically? And that lyrics about actually having fun are a step "backward"?

Emotion trumps surfing and cars.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2012, 02:22:46 PM »

Today! for me. Summer Days is a step forward musically but too often a step back lyrically.
You really think that between All Summer Long and Summer Days that they took a step backwards lyrically? We are talking a year here and Summer Days did not really deal with same type subject matter as Today. If you think about it, Today is kind of the odd ball album in terms of subject matter and how it was expressed. The whole album is expressed from a personal prospective, even on some of the fast songs, let alone all of side 2. The band would deal with this on one-off songs like In My Room & Warmth Of The Sun, but never a whole album's worth of songs.

(IMO) I think he means that Summer Days is a step back lyrically from Today, the album previous, and he's right for the most part. There are no songs about amusement parks, or driving to Salt Lake City, or being bugged at your ol' man, on Today.
OK, write me some forward thinking lyrics about Salt Lake City if they are so backward. Would singing verses with Mormon Bastion and polygamy move the lyrics forward?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 02:25:37 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2012, 02:24:57 PM »

I show plenty of emotion while in the Tunnel Of Love. Wink There are no surfing or car songs on Summer Days.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 02:26:12 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2012, 02:26:34 PM »

Maybe if you live in your mom's basement, never had a date and wish you could sing like a girl, ala 80% of The Beach Boys' male audience. A band called The Beach Boys are mostly going to be a fun in the sun-themed group. And that has, is, and will always be just as it should. There needs to be ONE classic band that isn't a pack of endless "artistic" moan. All people wanna do is make The Beach Boys into another Beatles they are less tired of.
And, for anyone who has actually experienced them, surfing and cars carry PLENTY of emotion and life experience. They can carry as much metaphor as any Van Dyke Parks clever epistle.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2012, 02:38:35 PM »

Maybe if you live in your mom's basement, never had a date and wish you could sing like a girl, ala 80% of The Beach Boys' male audience. A band called The Beach Boys are mostly going to be a fun in the sun-themed group. And that has, is, and will always be just as it should. There needs to be ONE classic band that isn't a pack of endless "artistic" moan. All people wanna do is make The Beach Boys into another Beatles they are less tired of.
And, for anyone who has actually experienced them, surfing and cars carry PLENTY of emotion and life experience. They can carry as much metaphor as any Van Dyke Parks clever epistle.

All IMO....

I don't mean that songs with "fun" lyrics" aren't as valid with ones with emotion. Earlier in this thread, I listed California Girls as one of the killers on this album. I really do love songs like "Do It Again", "It's Ok", "I Get Around", "Little Honda"......it's just most of the "fun" songs on the album at hand (Summer Days) don't do it for me at all. Girl From New York City is ok but nothing spectacular, Amusement Parks IS regressive lyrically - not because they aren't talking about love, but because I feel The Beach Boys (and Brian) were better than singing about rolley-coasters. I find Salt Lake City to be really hokey and lyrically trite ("and the way the kids talk so cool is an out of sight thing"). I'm Bugged At My Old Man...well, I can see how people can relate to the Brian/Murry history, but to anyone else it's a throwaway, a put-on to fill space. I wouldn't dare knock anyone for liking those tracks, it's just that I think they have done wildly better songs in the same genre.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2012, 02:40:44 PM »

LET'S TAKE YOUR CAR AND MESS AROUND AT THE PARK ALL DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2012, 02:45:27 PM »

Ego, The Beatles wrote about a fairground slide, and no one seems to mind that. That's cool and all that you don't like those SDSN songs for your own reasons, but I gotta say, those exact same reasons are why I love those songs, and that album. That one particular line from Salt Lake City you quoted is one of my favorites in their entire canon. I'm Bugged At My Ol' Man is actually very relatable for a lot of people, not just those who know the history. Amusement Parks is one of the most intensely pictorial musical pieces in BW's career, as much so as anything off Smile. You hear that, and you are THERE, you smell the popcorn, you feel seasick from a ride, you feel the girl/guy by your side. And that is utter, utter genius, even if Pet Sounds had never happened.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2012, 02:58:48 PM »

To answer your question, I think Beach Boys fans are tired, defensive, whatever, about defending their love of The Beach Boys - because of the lightweight, faddish (is that a word?), outdated 1960's lyrics and associations.

I agree with you, Ian, and I'm not agreeing with that line of thinking, even though I've been there. Many times. I'm just pointing out one reason why a BB fan would welcome "emotional" themed music over surf & turf. And, again, that is just one reason. I'm sure some fans legitimately do get into the emotional stuff more. Brian Wilson is one of them. But, it sometimes ain't easy being a BB fan.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2012, 03:03:02 PM »

Ego, The Beatles wrote about a fairground slide, and no one seems to mind that. That's cool and all that you don't like those SDSN songs for your own reasons, but I gotta say, those exact same reasons are why I love those songs, and that album. That one particular line from Salt Lake City you quoted is one of my favorites in their entire canon. I'm Bugged At My Ol' Man is actually very relatable for a lot of people, not just those who know the history. Amusement Parks is one of the most intensely pictorial musical pieces in BW's career, as much so as anything off Smile. You hear that, and you are THERE, you smell the popcorn, you feel seasick from a ride, you feel the girl/guy by your side. And that is utter, utter genius, even if Pet Sounds had never happened.

I can respect that.
Helter Skelter isn't even close to one of my favorite Beatles tracks, either.  Smiley

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2012, 04:12:57 PM »

To each his own.
Also, the emotion Brian puts out is greater than all 4 of the Beatles combined. To me at least.

And, I love the fun stuff too, considering that's probably what turned most of us onto the Boys in the first place. For me, it just means less. No need to grumble over an opinion.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2012, 10:27:45 PM »

Musically, I will say SDSN all the way! That is when the kick ass bass lines started. Lyrically, it is week in several songs, like California Girls. Today has some of his first great arrangements with some solid lyric work by the Lovester. But musically, SDSN is a step ahead. SDSN has the feeling and topics of All Summer Long LP, but the music is closer to Pet Sounds then Today IMO.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2012, 11:44:54 PM »

Musically, I will say SDSN all the way! That is when the kick ass bass lines started. Lyrically, it is week in several songs, like California Girls. Today has some of his first great arrangements with some solid lyric work by the Lovester. But musically, SDSN is a step ahead. SDSN has the feeling and topics of All Summer Long LP, but the music is closer to Pet Sounds then Today IMO.

Except for the California Girls intro, i'd say nothing on SDSN is as close musically to Pet Sounds than Kiss Me Baby or She Knows Me Too Well.

Incidentally, in '1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die' the reviewer says of Today: 'It's very easy to argue that it's superior to Pet Sounds... it has none of that album's self pity'. He/she then sites Please Let Me Wonder and Kiss Me Baby as being on a par with God Only Knows.
(For the record, the BB-related albums in the book are: Today!, Pet Sounds, Surf's Up, Pacific Ocean Blue, Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE. (I imagine the SMiLE Sessions will be included in any updated editions).
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2012, 03:06:08 AM »

Ego, The Beatles wrote about a fairground slide, and no one seems to mind that.

I think you're being deliberately disingenuous here, but I'll bite anyway. Helter Skelter was culturally relevant because the lyrics functioned as a metaphor (or at least Manson thought so) for political/cultural/psychological turbulence. Amusement Parks USA was just a lazy re-hash of County Fair and was literally a step backwards lyrically.

You really think that between All Summer Long and Summer Days that they took a step backwards lyrically? We are talking a year here and Summer Days did not really deal with same type subject matter as Today. If you think about it, Today is kind of the odd ball album in terms of subject matter and how it was expressed. The whole album is expressed from a personal perspective, even on some of the fast songs, let alone all of side 2. The band would deal with this on one-off songs like In My Room & Warmth Of The Sun, but never a whole album's worth of songs.

In 1964, the Californian lifestyle so perfectly embodied in ASL was where it was at. Whether SD&SN's lyrical themes were out of step a mere year later is a difficult question and one I'm probably not qualified to answer. I do think It's a case of diminishing returns with songs that deal specifically with the Californian experience at this point, especially in light of contemporaneous releases such as Bringing It All Back Home, and the Like A Rolling Stone single the same month as SD&SN, but then Dylan was arguably ahead of everyone at this point.

The Beach Boys couldn't compete as cultural or political commentators from 65 onwards, but in exploring emotional depth they were second to none. This is why albums such as Pet Sounds and Today where emotional songs predominate have stood the test of time far better than the surf & turf albums.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:07:47 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2012, 03:24:35 AM »

I think you're being deliberately disingenuous here, but I'll bite anyway. Helter Skelter was culturally relevant because the lyrics functioned as a metaphor (or at least Manson thought so) for political/cultural/psychological turbulence. Amusement Parks USA was just a lazy re-hash of County Fair and was literally a step backwards lyrically.

You really think that between All Summer Long and Summer Days that they took a step backwards lyrically? We are talking a year here and Summer Days did not really deal with same type subject matter as Today. If you think about it, Today is kind of the odd ball album in terms of subject matter and how it was expressed. The whole album is expressed from a personal perspective, even on some of the fast songs, let alone all of side 2. The band would deal with this on one-off songs like In My Room & Warmth Of The Sun, but never a whole album's worth of songs.

In 1964, the Californian lifestyle so perfectly embodied in ASL was where it was at. Whether SD&SN's lyrical themes were out of step a mere year later is a difficult question and one I'm probably not qualified to answer. I do think It's a case of diminishing returns with songs that deal specifically with the Californian experience at this point, especially in light of contemporaneous releases such as Bringing It All Back Home, and the Like A Rolling Stone single the same month as SD&SN, but then Dylan was arguably ahead of everyone at this point.

The Beach Boys couldn't compete as cultural or political commentators from 65 onwards, but in exploring emotional depth they were second to none. This is why albums such as Pet Sounds and Today where emotional songs predominate have stood the test of time far better than the surf & turf albums.
While I understand where you are coming from, I think a lot more of their music has stood the test of time. The sales of their compilation albums like Sounds of Summer has probably out sold Pet Sounds and Today combined. Most people just don't look at their songs and albums the way we do.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2012, 04:00:26 AM »

While I understand where you are coming from, I think a lot more of their music has stood the test of time. The sales of their compilation albums like Sounds of Summer has probably out sold Pet Sounds and Today combined. Most people just don't look at their songs and albums the way we do.

Fair point, and in retrospect those small time spans of a year or so do not matter - it is all nostalgia and to most people there is little difference between Surfin USA and Do It Again. But personally I find the power of Mike's lyrics diminish post 64, and I'd argue that as international fascination with the Californian myth subsided, so did the relevance, vitality and truth of Mike's lyrics. Songs such as Salt Lake City and Amusement Parks USA are starting to sound stale for this very reason. It's no accident that when they revisit surf subject matter on Do It Again, it's no longer a 1st hand account of how great the sport is, but a rose tinted recollection. You cannot mine the same creative seam indefinitely without risk of stagnation (especially when your subject matter is so time and location specific) and certain songs on SD&SN are stretching the formula too far, hence Brian's decision to hire Asher for the next one.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 04:15:12 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2012, 05:42:03 AM »

I'd argue that as international fascination with the Californian myth subsided, so did the relevance, vitality and truth of Mike's  lyrics. Songs such as Salt Lake City and Amusement Parks USA are starting to sound stale for this very reason.

I guess Murry was right to sell the catalog for $700,000. It's never going to amount to anything. Just a passing fad.

I thought I was talking to fellow Beach Boy fans. You guys seem to resent everything the band stood for. I mean really stood for, not just the 2-year span when Brian was considered "hip".

Amusement Parks USA was just a lazy re-hash of County Fair

That's like calling "Strawberry Fields" a lazy rehash of "There's A Place".

Lyrically, it is week in several songs, like California Girls

Are you people out of your fucking minds?

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 05:46:17 AM by Bubba Ho-Tep » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2012, 05:51:57 AM »

I'd argue that as international fascination with the Californian myth subsided, so did the relevance, vitality and truth of Mike's  lyrics. Songs such as Salt Lake City and Amusement Parks USA are starting to sound stale for this very reason.

I guess Murry was right to sell the catalog for $700,000. It's never going to amount to anything. Just a passing fad.

I thought I was talking to fellow Beach Boy fans. You guys seem to resent everything the band stood for. I mean really stood for, not just the 2-year span when Brian was considered "hip".

I figured out a long time ago, this place is a home to the Pet Sounds/Smile only fans. I will even go out on a limb and say most of those fans are those that found the band from 1990 forward. Most fans who found the band in the 60s and 70s seem to have a better appreciation of all of their music.
Remember now, I said most, not all. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2012, 06:19:29 AM »

I'd argue that as international fascination with the Californian myth subsided, so did the relevance, vitality and truth of Mike's  lyrics. Songs such as Salt Lake City and Amusement Parks USA are starting to sound stale for this very reason.

Look I prefer one album to another and I'm stating my reasons for that. I'm not saying SD&SN is a piece of sh*t - far from it. FWIW I actually enjoy Amusement Parks - it's a fun song. But conceptually and lyrically it's a rehash and weakens the album for me. There are more timeless songs on Today - When I Grow Up, Kiss Me Baby, Please Let Me Wonder etc. - and for better or worse timelessness, cultural relevance, albums functioning as accurate historical snapshots of their time etc are things I value. If that makes me sound like a snob, pretentious, narrow minded or apparently not worthy of being a Beach Boys fan, so be it. I voted for MIU over LA y'know & Love You over POB, but in this instance the more artistically credible album takes the cake.  Smiley

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2012, 06:27:22 AM »

I voted for MIU over LA & Love You over POB

Then you're OK with me!  Drinking Buddies
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2012, 06:27:29 AM »

I figured out a long time ago, this place is a home to the Pet Sounds/Smile only fans.

That's rubbish. I doubt there's more than a handful of people here, if anyone, who only enjoy that two year period.

I will even go out on a limb and say most of those fans are those that found the band from 1990 forward. Most fans who found the band in the 60s and 70s seem to have a better appreciation of all of their music.

Well 1986 Made In USA (an abundance of hits, I might point out) for me, so you were close.

Does better appreciation = reluctance to criticise any of Mike's lyrics for you? C'mon this is nonsense. I thought this was a discussion board. Surely debate over key albums is what makes this place interesting?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 06:31:44 AM by buddhahat » Logged

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2012, 06:27:56 AM »

I voted for MIU over LA & Love You over POB

Then you're OK with me!  Drinking Buddies

Cool  Grin

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2012, 06:49:37 AM »

I'd argue that as international fascination with the Californian myth subsided, so did the relevance, vitality and truth of Mike's  lyrics. Songs such as Salt Lake City and Amusement Parks USA are starting to sound stale for this very reason.

Lyrically, it is week in several songs, like California Girls

Are you people out of your f***ing minds?

Your last quote is mine. And yes. This song is ying/yang to me. While the music is very progressive and creative, the lyrics are formulaic and commercial. Personally, I think its a nice mix.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx