gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:37:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
15 Big Ones - 16 (16.3%)
The Beach Boys Love You - 82 (83.7%)
Total Voters: 91

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twofer polls #5, part a) 15 Big Ones vs Love You  (Read 13367 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2012, 10:40:15 AM »

I reckon this one's a bit of a no brainer. Pointless to even pit these two together, right?!

But then surely what makes these polls interesting is the guys that root for the underdog, so show yourselves 15 Big Ones freaks!

To spice this round up a bit, I'm running a simultaneous poll that pits Love You against another masterpiece from 1977:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13939.0.html

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 03:25:50 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 11:05:59 AM »

Just not a fan of Love You. Have tried to be so several times over the years but it just doesn't do it for me.
I enjoy some of the songs on 15 Big Ones: It's OK (a good summertime song); Susie Cincinnati (nice one by Al); Back Home (sing along with the chorus); and That Same Song (a little gospel revival).
Rarely play Love You anymore and have nothing from it on any home made compilations. Don't play 15 Big Ones in its entirety much either but have some of the singles on the compilation list.
I'm probably in the vast minority on this board with this view, but it is what it is.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 11:13:14 AM »

"Love You" but only by a hair. "15 Big Ones" is mainly mediocre throughout, whilst LY is half great songs and half appalling garbage. Or to put it another way - I'm more likely to listen to LY than 15BO but am more inclined to have my fingers close to the skip button.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
MBE
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 11:22:29 AM »

Just not a fan of Love You. Have tried to be so several times over the years but it just doesn't do it for me.
I enjoy some of the songs on 15 Big Ones: It's OK (a good summertime song); Susie Cincinnati (nice one by Al); Back Home (sing along with the chorus); and That Same Song (a little gospel revival).
Rarely play Love You anymore and have nothing from it on any home made compilations. Don't play 15 Big Ones in its entirety much either but have some of the singles on the compilation list.
I'm probably in the vast minority on this board with this view, but it is what it is.
Hey I agree.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 12:04:50 PM »

Love You is massively over-rated (at least by BB fans, if not the general public) - it's a nice, fun, crazy album, with the occasional great moment (The Night Was So Young) but the idea that it's any kind of masterpiece i find pretty hard to swallow. But it's certainly better than 15 Big Ones which likewise has some great moments but as an album is a total mess, whereas Love You at least has a consistent feel and tone throughout. But neither of them would ever grace any Top Ten BB Albums list compiled by me (Love You might scrape into the Top 15, but i prefer almost everything that went before and i'd even rate LA as superior).
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 12:12:44 PM »

While I agree with previous comment that "Love You" isn't a masterpiece, I do think it's light years ahead of "15 Big Ones," which I consider mostly total garbage. 

"The Night Was So Young," "I'll Bet He's Nice," "Airplane," "Johnny Carson," and yes, "Solar System" are my favorites on that one, while I think "It's Ok" is the best thing on 15BO, which says something.

Out of curiosity, I think I recall reading on here somewhere that Jeff Foskett really strongly dislikes "Love You."  Is this true. Anybody know when or why he said that?

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 01:40:01 PM »

"Love You" is by far the better album and the one I'm going with but I'll also take the opportunity to say that I don't think "15 Big Ones" is nearly as bad as people make it out to be.  Most of the originals are nothing special but I love "Had to Phone Ya" and "Back Home."   "It's OK" and "That Same Song" are also fun.  Call it a guilty pleasure but I really like "Rock and Roll Music."  The Beatles version is still the best but it's still a competent cover if not anything more.  And they also did a great job with it on this tour, at least when I saw them.  I also like Brian and Dennis's respective raspy takes on "Chapel of Love" and "In the Still of the Night."  I think they are listenable and it sounds like Brian and Dennis are having a good time singing them if not putting much effort into them.  And then "Just Once in My Life" which I think is just incredible is one of my favorite Carl and Brian duets.  While it's definitely not one of the best Beach Boys albums, it doesn't come anywhere near the worst.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 01:57:28 PM »

When are we going to get the mother of all album wars: Pet Sounds versus Smile?  Smiley
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 02:01:09 PM »

lol, who in the world would dare to vote for that 15something "album".
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 02:44:05 PM »

Love You, by far.  It's the biggest gap in quality between two albums on a twofer as far as I'm concerned.  15 Big Ones has some decent covers and originals, but is otherwise swamped in mediocrity.  It would have fared slightly better as 12-track album weeding out the worst offenders like the inexplicable hit cover of Rock and Roll Music.  Love You is quirky and rough, yet downright enjoyable and impressive on a regular basis.  It has to be Brian's most independently penned crop of music of his career as well with 11 of 14 being solely credited to him.  Not that that matters much to me, as I'm pretty much exclusively interested in the music and Brian was usually the man behind that side of things anyway.
To great music, the lyrics could be completely gibberish for all I care (and with the Beach Boys, they sometimes might as well be).  At any rate, here are my rankings of the two albums...

I'll Bet He's Nice
Good Time
The Night Was So Young
Just Once in My Life
Had to Phone Ya
I Wanna Pick You Up
Johnny Carson
Let's Put Our Hearts Together
Let Us Go On This Way
In the Still of the Night
Back Home
Mona
Airplane
It's O.K.
Solar System
Roller Skating Child
Palisades Park
Honkin' Down the Highway
Susie Cincinnati
Talk To Me
That Same Song
Love is a Woman
Chapel of Love
Blueberry Hill
A Casual Look
Ding Dang
Everyone's in Love with You
T.M. Song
Rock and Roll Music
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 02:58:16 PM »

Although 15BO does have cool moments (the criminally insane production, Had To Phone Ya, In The Still Of The Night, Talk To Me)...... it has to be Love You. It works.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 03:03:01 PM »

When are we going to get the mother of all album wars: Pet Sounds versus Smile?  Smiley

That would be a legit. interesting pairing! Not entirely fair (SMiLE still isn't finished), but, still....

I think what would also be cool is weakest link polls for albums - like, for instance, vote the weakest off of  ______  one-by-one until there's one track left.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 03:18:26 PM »

Phew, at last, a stress free no rash decisions poll - Love You.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 03:22:08 PM »

Also, what makes Love You a better album is that the songs work a lot better as a collection of songs. I really like It's OK, Had To Phone Ya etc, and when you take them out of the context of the album, they're still great. But I prefer the songs of "Love You" as a collective listen as to where Brian was at during the time, and how he utilised the Beach Boys to make an album to express his creativity.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 06:24:07 PM »

Love You, but I enjoy 15 Big Ones plenty.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 08:27:41 PM »

lol, who in the world would dare to vote for that 15something "album".

People who think Love You is a stinker, of course!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 11:16:50 PM »

When are we going to get the mother of all album wars: Pet Sounds versus Smile?  Smiley

Patience ....  Smiley there has to be something to sustain us through the likes of KTSA vs BB85!

That would be a legit. interesting pairing! Not entirely fair (SMiLE still isn't finished), but, still....

I think what would also be cool is weakest link polls for albums - like, for instance, vote the weakest off of  ______  one-by-one until there's one track left.

DefInitely up for weakest link polls - do it!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 11:21:34 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 12:41:42 AM »

I find myself listening to 15 BIG ONES more than any other BBs album, probably because it's the least overexposed to me of all of them, and there's a certain fascination to it.  It's kind of a forgotten record now.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 08:39:05 AM »

I love 'em both, but Love You is better for me. Actually, there's only three or four Beach Boys' albums that I consider better than Love You - Pet Sounds, Today, All Summer Long, maybe Sunflower.

In 1976, Brian was working at a much higher level than he is given credit for. It's a shame his vocals and the track selection (especially on 15 Big Ones) deflect from the creativity and production that he was exhibiting. Never again would Brian be as creative.

1976 was such a fascinating year. Both 15 Big Ones and Love You were recorded that year which was great. Unfortunately, Brian can't get those (or Dennis') gruff vocals back. But, if you eliminated just that one year (1976) from the Beach Boys' recorded history, just that cluster of months actually, we would have no examples on actual released recordings of that raspy, gruff Brian Wilson voice. Granted, on post-Love You records you could obviously hear the change in his voice from the pre-1974 years, but you wouldn't have those heartbreaking, almost embarrassing vocals. Just a thought...
bluesno1fann
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 02:28:12 AM »

Love You, no contest!

15 Big Ones is one of the worst BB's albums ever made, and all the songs from it sucks (except for Palisades Park and Just Once In My Life), and Love You is a classic!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 02:49:16 AM »

Love You for me, perfect album, though I enjoy 15 Big Ones a lot as well. Lots of amazingly inventive synth work on both records.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2014, 05:34:27 AM »

Love You, no contest!

15 Big Ones is one of the worst BB's albums ever made, and all the songs from it sucks (except for Palisades Park and Just Once In My Life), and Love You is a classic!
I agree in part (substitute "It's O.K." for "Palisades Park"). 15 Big Ones is an embarrassment. So my vote (by default) goes to Love You.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2015, 11:39:06 PM »

Love You. how could ANYONE pick 15??

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx