gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680725 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 11:27:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Preiss Tape  (Read 18121 times)
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2012, 08:53:03 AM »

I came across this while searching for Stack-o-vocals stuff. I can't seem to find much about it. Has anyone heard of this?

The track listing is:
 01) Heroes And Villains - Fade (1:09)
02) Who Ran The Iron Horse? (:29)
03) Bicycle Rider #1 (:25)
04) Bicycle Rider #2 (:25)
05) Heroes And Villains - 1st Verse (:46)
06) Let The Wind Blow - Amy Vocal (2:11)
07) I'm So Young (2:11)
08) Barbara - Piano (1:07)
09) I Don't Know (2:27)
10) Lazy Lizzie (3:45)
11) H.E.L.P. (2:09)
12) Sherry She Needs Me (2:32)
13) New Orleans (2:33)
14) You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling (3:33)
15) Baseball (2:02)
16) Life Is For The Living (1:46)
17) "Mike Love" (2:23)
18) Almost Summer (2:06)
19) Still I Dream Of It (3:15)
20) Games Two Can Play (1:54)
21) It's Over Now (2:41)
22) Lines (1:34)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:19:24 AM by Letsgoawayforawhile » Logged

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 09:22:27 AM »

Nothing new or previously unknown there.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:23:13 AM »

Note that almost all of those songs are described or mentioned as "unreleased" in the Byron Preiss book which came out in '78. It would appear to be a compilation which was given to those working on the book for research purposes. The more obvious one is the "Smile" compilation also called "The Preiss Tape".

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 09:25:32 AM »

Okay, cool.
I guess I was hoping that these were alternate versions. Thanks!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 09:28:16 AM »

Kind of a nifty item.  Correct me if I'm wrong...but when this was leaked it was the first leak of Smile related recordings, right?  Someone within the organization leaked the tape to Preiss while he was researching his book...though exactly who has never been made clear.  I've heard names ranging from Diane Rovell to Dennis Wilson to Brad Elliott.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Jason
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 09:39:37 AM »

01) Heroes And Villains - Fade (1:09)
02) Who Ran The Iron Horse? (:29)
03) Bicycle Rider #1 (:25)
04) Bicycle Rider #2 (:25)
05) Heroes And Villains - 1st Verse (:46)
06) Let The Wind Blow - Amy Vocal (2:11) - apparently from a 1970 session for Brother Records.
07) I'm So Young (2:11) - acetate of the alternate version on the Today/Summer Days two-fer.
08) Barbara - Piano (1:07) - same as the version on Get the Boot, in lesser quality.
09) I Don't Know (2:27) - mislabeled; backing track for Don't Run Away by Bruce and Terry.
10) Lazy Lizzie (3:45)
11) H.E.L.P. (2:09)
12) Sherry She Needs Me (2:32)
13) New Orleans (2:33) - mislabeled, this is New England Waltz.
14) You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling (3:33)
15) Baseball (2:02) - features part of the count-off.
16) Life Is For The Living (1:46)
17) "Mike Love" (2:23) - the fake David Leaf "promo".
18) Almost Summer (2:06) - the Brian demo.
19) Still I Dream Of It (3:15) - different vocals.
20) Games Two Can Play (1:54)
21) It's Over Now (2:41)
22) Lines (1:34) - different vocals.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 09:44:42 AM »

Wonderful.
Thanks a million.

- Dr. Seuss
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 09:50:17 AM »

Kind of a nifty item.  Correct me if I'm wrong...but when this was leaked it was the first leak of Smile related recordings, right?  Someone within the organization leaked the tape to Preiss while he was researching his book...though exactly who has never been made clear.  I've heard names ranging from Diane Rovell to Dennis Wilson to Brad Elliott.

I don't think anyone originally "leaked" it to the Preiss people, correct? I thought it was just part of the official research process where BB's archive materials were made available to help those compiling all of this info for the book.

And there is another "Preiss Tape" with only Smile material, although some of the songs/fragments which appeared on that were misidentified as Smile recordings simply because they were on that tape.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 10:08:37 AM »

You might be right.  Maybe I was thinking about how it got from Preiss to general circulation??
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:26:04 AM by Banana » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 10:19:08 AM »

I don't think anyone originally "leaked" it to the Preiss people, correct?

Incorrect.  Smiley  The first Smile tape that made general circulation was indeed handed to Preiss by a member of Brian's household in 1978, who also happened to be a relation. Same person who was sitting in the black & white the night Derek Bill got busted.

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 10:30:19 AM »

If we're thinking about the same person...that's who I always thought handed the tape to Priess.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 10:42:06 AM »

If we're thinking about the same person...that's who I always thought handed the tape to Priess.

If we're thinking of the same person, you're right.

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 10:44:44 AM »

Good enough for me!  Wink

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 11:24:32 AM »

I don't think anyone originally "leaked" it to the Preiss people, correct?

Incorrect.  Smiley  The first Smile tape that made general circulation was indeed handed to Preiss by a member of Brian's household in 1978, who also happened to be a relation. Same person who was sitting in the black & white the night Derek Bill got busted.

Sounds good! I'm confused by something, though: I'd say some of those Smile track descriptions were a standout of that book considering these tunes were nothing but song titles on paper for most people/fans of the late 70's. Not just the Smile Preiss tape but also the tracklist above, almost all of those unheard/unreleased songs on the Preiss Tape(s) received written descriptions in Preiss' book.

Was it a case of Preiss and his team maybe getting a listening access granted to them officially, and that's where the write-ups in the book originated, or was it a case of someone underhandedly and "unofficially" giving out a copy after the book had already come out? I assumed since the book was official, the author(s) would not have been able to write about unreleased vault music which had in effect been given to them by an insider without permission.

urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 07:15:03 PM »

Who is Derek Bill?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 01:44:53 AM »

Who is Derek Bill?

Mega-fan and collector in the early days of serious BB fandom. Put out the legendary BB Collectors Series in the late 70s, was forcibly retired from the loop when he was busted a few days before Christmas, as noted below.

BB Collectors Series was:

1 - "Surfer Moon/Humpty Dumpty" (limited edition of 1000, numbered, blue vinyl)
2 - Honeys boxed album (limited edition of 150, not numbered)
3 - Hawthorne Hotshots double EP (limited edition of 500, hand-numbered)
4 - Smile front slick (uncropped, produced from the original separations, limited edition of 1000, not numbered)
5 - Smile back slick (uncropped, produced from the sole surviving art dept paste up, limited edition of 200, hand-numbered - maybe 20 survive)
6 - Radio KPUK presents The Borscht Boys EP (limited edition of 500, only the unnumbered sleeves survive)

The KPUK EP lineup was:

We Got Love (studio)
Toys for Tots commercial (on Ultimate Christmas)
Rock & Roll Music (hot mix w/extra verse)
Pamela Jean
Auld Lang Syne (w/o Dennis)

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 02:13:24 AM »

Who is Derek Bill?

Mega-fan and collector in the early days of serious BB fandom. Put out the legendary BB Collectors Series in the late 70s, was forcibly retired from the loop when he was busted a few days before Christmas, as noted below.

4 - Smile front slick (uncropped, produced from the original separations, limited edition of 1000, not numbered)
5 - Smile back slick (uncropped, produced from the sole surviving art dept paste up, limited edition of 200, hand-numbered - maybe 20 survive)
6 - Radio KPUK presents The Borscht Boys EP (limited edition of 500, only the unnumbered sleeves survive)

The KPUK EP lineup was:

We Got Love (studio)
Pamela Jean

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,8581.0.html

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 05:36:59 AM »

Who is Derek Bill?

The KPUK EP lineup was:

We Got Love (studio)
Pamela Jean

Of course Derek didn't operate in a vacuum; his wasn't the sole interest in those releases....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 07:02:52 AM »

Who is Derek Bill?

Good man.  And the source of many collector's items for sale back in the 70's (many not listed above).

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 07:55:32 AM »

I'll rephrase and shorten the question, maybe what I'm asking got lost in the wording  Cheesy.

If the majority of the unreleased/unheard song titles which were described in detail or listed in the Preiss book also showed up on the so-called "Preiss Tape(s)", and they did, and those recordings were given away by someone in the family, how did Preiss and his people have access to the tapes in order to write those descriptions? Or was the giving of the tapes less of an "unauthorized leak" of unreleased material and more of a research tool to write the book?

After reading the previous answers, I get the feeling the material was "leaked" by the family member after the book was finished, but I'm curious to see how it played out.

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 08:10:42 AM »

There was a compilation (the infamous "Fire Tape") put together by Dennis that was given to Priess for research purposes.  I do not know if this was authorized or just Dennis doing Byron a solid by slipping him the tape.  There was another tape that was given to Priess by another member of Brian's family.  I'm not sure if any of this was ever officially authorized (I doubt it) or just people "in the know" trying to help him with the book.  I've always tended to think it was a bit on the unauthorized side...but things were pretty "hazy" within the organization by that time so who knows.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 08:17:48 AM »

There was a compilation (the infamous "Fire Tape") put together by Dennis that was given to Priess for research purposes.  I do not know if this was authorized or just Dennis doing Byron a solid by slipping him the tape.  There was another tape that was given to Priess by another member of Brian's family.  I'm not sure if any of this was ever officially authorized (I doubt it) or just people "in the know" trying to help him with the book.  I've always tended to think it was a bit on the unauthorized side...but things were pretty "hazy" within the organization by that time so who knows.

I'm aware of the history of the tapes, but the cover of the book does say "The Authorized Biography" right on the front, and I may be wrong but I got the impression that band members and families had a pretty strong veto power over how their story was told and what was told and offered up for use if the word "authorized" is connected to it. How about this for a theory:

Did Preiss and his team have access to the unreleased material in order to write descriptions for the book, and that was "official" and authorized, but the fact that someone at some point made them a personal copy which was eventually leaked was what wasn't official?

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 09:08:04 AM »

That sounds like a good possibility.  All I know is that at some point material was leaked...I've just never been sure whether or not "leaked" is the correct term.  Was the material given to Priess to use for his book with the authority of TBB organization or was certain info being withheld?  We all know Dennis provided the first tape and I've always been under the assumption that the second tape was given to Priess by a certain band member's sister-in-law...so the material came from sources within the inner circle.  It was just such a hazy time in their history...I'm not sure whether who knew what was happening or who had authorized what.  I have a hard time accepting that Brian would knowingly allow any of the Smile related stuff to be brought back into the light at this point...but how do you tell the story of the band without discussing Smile...and what juicier "teaser" could Priess have than info on Brian's long, lost masterpiece.  It's worth mentioning again that at this time really nobody had heard any of this stuff.  We know have a Smile boxed set...but in the late 70s...it was still very, very mysterious.  Great discussion, by the way!

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 09:26:37 AM »

Great points, and a main issue to bring out even more is that an overwhelming majority of people at that time had not heard much of anything about the actual Smile tracks or what they sounded like, apart from what dribbled out in various interviews and what became attached to other songs on other albums. The Preiss book spoke in glowing terms on those tapes, and even though there was actually very little of substance, the fact that Smile tapes did exist and were terrific and could be described in detail because they existed was a big part of building the mythology, at least IMO. If those closer to those times have a different view, I'd love to hear anything from "back in the day".

Maybe I'm over-crediting this Preiss book but if you have someone confirming and describing this music, it could only stoke the fire that made you want to hear and know more, and that's the same effect the first boots had on Smile. It went from curiosity to Mythology!

I'd go as far as to say the "leaking" of that first Preiss tape with Smile material (along with mislabeled ersatz Smile material...) did more to help build a certain non-touring image of Brian and the Beach Boys than any albums they would release in the years immediately following. It added a mysterious aura that gave them publicity and a certain credibility among musicians and...dare I say it...music geeks like myself who didn't get that from something like BB's 85 or Kokomo or even the live tours in the 80's.

The person(s) responsible for that Smile "Preiss Tape" should be given an award. They did more than the professional PR folks could do for the band's legacy in the 80's...IMO  Grin

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 10:27:52 AM »

Definitely.  The myth of Smile kept a certain aura of mystery around the band long past the point where they were anything close to cutting edge.  The whole "Surf's Up" fiasco...where Carl was insistent that "Surf's Up" be completed and used to close out the LP had to have some promotional thought beyond the fact that it's an amazing song.  I can only imagine some of the "conversations" between Carl and Dennis concerning the track listing of that LP!  I think it's an honest statement to make that Carl and Company felt that adding one of the most mysterious Smile tracks to the LP would help boost their flagging sales and reputation.

I also completely agree about the cred it gave the band (long after they deserved it) with fellow musicians.  The mystery of just what magic Brian Wilson had created and was locked away...perhaps forever...was so, so powerful. 

I'll tell you, I'm thankful that Brian was able to "finish" Smile in 2004 (especially for his own inner peace) and I'm thankful for the release of the official Smile Sessions...but I do miss the days when the LP was a complete mystery...when dribs and drabs would leak out and we'd all spend countless hours compiling our version of what we thought Smile would have sounded like.  I used to spend a lot of time pouring through Look! Listen! Vibrate! Smile! trying to glean any info that might give a hint to what Brian had in mind!

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx