gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:03:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 62: Lokerse, Belgium 7th August  (Read 28968 times)
Mike Lovechild
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2012, 01:51:24 AM »

I can contain myself no longer!!! So excited for this gig, The Beach Boys play the Lokerse festival in Belgium on 7th August!

Main act of the night (set time 21.30 - 23.45) and followed by the Austrailian Pink Floyd (!?!).

Tickets at €35. Anyone else going? You'll see me at the front!  Grin

PS on the site-map TOOG means Bar  Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 01:52:41 AM by Mike Lovechild » Logged
Kees
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 02:26:49 AM »

I'll be there. The Beach Boys and Belgian beer. This is gonna be great  Grin
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 02:54:31 AM »

Count me in.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 03:48:30 AM »

Main act of the night (set time 21.30 - 23.45) and followed by the Austrailian Pink Floyd (!?!).

That's quite good news, as if they're doing two and a quarter hours starting at 21:30 for a festival, that means I'm less worried about the length of the Italian shows (which start at 21:00 so I thought they might be short).

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Mike Lovechild
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 04:03:37 AM »

Yeah as a festival gig I was worried that this might be a shorter set but it's clearly not.

I'm sure all the European dates will be proper length gigs, there's no reason we should get short-changed!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 06:27:05 AM »

That's quite good news, as if they're doing two and a quarter hours starting at 21:30 for a festival, that means I'm less worried about the length of the Italian shows (which start at 21:00 so I thought they might be short).

The Australian Pink Floyd (which is a cover band, BTW) starts at 23:45, so there's no way that The Beach Boys are actually going to play for 2:15 hours. More like an hour and a half, I'd say.

I'm going, BTW. Very much looking forward to it. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 06:45:02 AM by shelter » Logged
Mike Lovechild
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 07:25:00 AM »

The change over time at a festival like this won't be more than 30 mins so that's at least a 1hr 45 minute set, which I'm more than happy with.

Austrailian Pink Floyd are more than just a cover band though, they're probably the most famous cover band in the world. Their shows are pretty spectacular. It's gonna be a weird way to come off a BB high!  Cheesy
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 09:01:13 AM »

Austrailian Pink Floyd are more than just a cover band though, they're probably the most famous cover band in the world.

I don't think they're more famous than The Bootleg Beatles.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Mike Lovechild
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 09:16:17 AM »

Austrailian Pink Floyd are more than just a cover band though, they're probably the most famous cover band in the world.

I don't think they're more famous than The Bootleg Beatles.

Well maybe. Maybe not. Who knows. I haven't done the sums.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:18:05 AM by Mike Lovechild » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 09:44:07 AM »

The change over time at a festival like this won't be more than 30 mins so that's at least a 1hr 45 minute set, which I'm more than happy with.

Sad thing though is that any time that they have to cut from their regular set, especially at a festival, will probably be at the expense of the "rarities".
Kees
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 10:23:33 AM »

Sad thing though is that any time that they have to cut from their regular set, especially at a festival, will probably be at the expense of the "rarities".

Bummer. BW played a full set there in 2004. So why not now?  Huh Still, I'm looking foward to my first ever BB show.  Smiley
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 01:35:31 AM »

Will be there and I also expect the rarities to be left of the setlist.
Mike Lovechild
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 09:15:54 AM »

To be honest, I don't care if they leave out a few rarities for this show - I'm going to enjoy every moment of it regardless.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 11:41:58 AM »

Facebook:

On the Bus: Bruce, Paul and Brian

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 03:25:07 PM »

Just got back to the hostel in Ghent, so thanks to Wi-fi the setlist:

01 Do it again
02 Little Honda
03 Catch a wave
04 Hawaii
05 Don't back down
06 Surfin' safari
07 Surfer Girl
08 Don't worry baby
09 Little deuce coupe
10 409
11 Shut down
12 I get around
13 That's why God made the radio
14 You're so good to me
15 Then I kissed her
16 Why do fools
17 When I grow up
18 Cottonfields
19 Sail on sailor
20 Heroes and villains
21 God only knows
22 Sloop John B
23 Wouldn't it be Nice
24 Good vibrations
25 California girls
26 Help me Rhonda
27 Rock n Roll music
28 Do you wanna dance
29 Surfin USA
------
30 Kokomo
31 Barbara Ann
32 Fun fun fun

More later!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:59:46 AM by GuyO » Logged
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 05:52:59 PM »

Hey Guy, I missed you!

(sorry, we waren wat later!)

There were some girls on stage during Barbara Ann. I guess relatives from Bruce. The one in the middle with the Mickey Mouse sweater had to be dragged on stage. Pretty cute!

Great show, was surprised by Mike's heavy bass singing. Setlist could have been a lot different, in my opinion. It's not like the crowd went wild upon hearing Hawaii or Don't Back Down, or even Kokomo. Might as well play something of Sunflower or another Pet Sounds-cut. Or Disney Girls, Bruce had almost nothing to do besides making a fool of himself. It's fun to watch him, I have to give him that.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 07:17:04 PM »

http://www.nnieuws.be/nieuws/57959/the-beach-boys-lokerse-feesten-springlevendiger-dan-ooit-pure-frisse-nostalgie-foto-039-s/?utm_source=Twitterfeed&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=Nnieuws

Article on the show

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 12:02:19 AM »

Wow, they really owned the place yesterday. The crowd was relatively young (at least in the front, where I was standing) and very into it. Only downsides for me were the very safe greatest hits setlist (Is it really too much to ask to include at least one or two unexpected "rarities" for the fans who actually do know more than just the hits? OK, there were a couple of album cuts, but with songs like Catch A Wave and You're So Good To Me you're still playing pretty safe. Would have LOVED to hear something like All This Is That or This Whole World) and the fact that Brian looked very bored and tired, he obviously couldn't wait to get the hell out of there. Everyone else seemed to have a blast, though.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 12:14:41 AM by shelter » Logged
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 01:10:28 AM »

(hi Bill / Jop!)

I thought it was a fantastic show. I knew beforehand this would be an ultra short show. Also, this was my second ( and last ) show of the show. In Barcelona I probably was hoping too much for the concert being the best ever, so ended up being slightly disappointed because of that. This time, also closer to home, it was natural to be relaxed and enjoy the show and take it all in. Only 1 hr 40 min, but what a great show. I respectfully disagree with shelter about Brian looking tired. He did look pale and was kinda inactive during the encore, but he was singing good, playing piano everywhere and making gestures (especially when a camera was around). Lots of Brian lead vocals after the car songs.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 04:21:36 AM »

It seems that sometimes in these reviews that Brian's mood fits that of the poster.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 05:31:56 AM »

It seems that sometimes in these reviews that Brian's mood fits that of the poster.
Perhaps. I really thought he wasn't a shadow of how he was at the four solo concerts that I saw in the last few years.
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 06:36:59 AM »

There was also another girl on stage after Barbara Ann, during Fun Fun Fun. She was playing Scott's keyboard.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 07:10:08 AM »

Perhaps. I really thought he wasn't a shadow of how he was at the four solo concerts that I saw in the last few years.
When he is the Frontman he has to be more into it. With Mike having those duties, Brian can just lay back and play until he's called on to take a lead.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 07:43:25 AM »

There was also another girl on stage after Barbara Ann, during Fun Fun Fun. She was playing Scott's keyboard.

Ambha Love
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2012, 07:55:22 AM »

Wow, they really owned the place yesterday.

Great to hear !
But I'm sorry for you that they didn't do some rarities. I don't think "All this is that" wold work very well for this setting but "Marcella" or "This whole world" might've done pretty good

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx