gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 02:12:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Here Comes The Night - Greatest Disco recording of all time  (Read 13013 times)
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2012, 11:18:42 AM »

Do you hate disco? Sure you do, that's why you hate the Beach Boys reworking of the beloved track 'Here Comes The Night'.

And of course, you also buy into the myth that they created this monstrosity in an ill-conceived effort to 'cash in' on the disco scene.

I have a different interpretation of that event.

The Beach Boys hated disco just as much as the rest of us. Their motivation in reworking 'Here Comes the Night' was to prove to the world that the Beach Boys could do it better.

Sort of a 'Let's show'em how it's done' thing.

Did disco suck? Sure it did. But, as in any rogue music trend, there's always some glimmer of brilliance. In this case, it's the Beach Boys.

There's really only one song that might possibly not have been outstripped by 'Here Comes The Night' and that's 'Disco Inferno'.

If you disagree, say so... I don't mind. I expect it. I encourage it.

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »

Well I don't hate disco, I dig it.  It doesn't take itself seriously and it does its job effectively considering what it's designed to do. 

With that said, "Here Comes The Night" hardly makes a blip on my radar as the best or worst of all time.  It just wasn't a great "Beach Boys" song (or redo) for it to garner a double take from fans and non-fans alike.  Disco was doing pretty well without it (whether you like the genre or not) and this tune hardly made a dent in the grand scheme of things.  It would have been interesting if they (Brian mostly) buckled down and wrote a great song that happened to be disco but "Here Comes The NIght" comes off rather half-assed and I think everyone noticed it.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 11:26:20 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRYnbuUwOYk

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 11:38:34 AM »

Make no mistake..... I am NOT saying it's the Beach Boys greatest recording. (not saying it's their worst either)

Also not claiming it was commercially successful. I'm merely addressing what I imagine their motivation MIGHT have been, contrary to popular notion.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 11:39:14 AM »

Did disco suck? Sure it did.

No it didn't. "Disco Sucks" was a racist movement that caught on in the public imagination.
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 11:41:28 AM »

No it didn't. "Disco Sucks" was a racist movement that caught on in the public imagination.
*LOL* .... sure, like 'All in the Family' or body art.  LOL

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 11:53:23 AM »

Actually, in the words of the British National Party at the height of the Disco Sucks movement: "Disco and its melting pot pseudo-philosophy must be fought or Britain's streets will be full of black-worshipping soul boys."
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 11:53:31 AM »

Wow! That came out of left field. I know I shouldn't ask Wink , but please explain your rationale.

I see your explanation above.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 11:55:52 AM »

Actually, in the words of the British National Party at the height of the Disco Sucks movement: "Disco and its melting pot pseudo-philosophy must be fought or Britain's streets will be full of black-worshipping soul boys."
See that, and I always just thought it was a play on words of "Disco Duck". Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 12:02:57 PM »

I should also add that the Disco Sucks movement was accompanied by a lot of homophobic rhetoric, much of it emanating from the slogan's creator Steve Dahl.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »

"Disco Sucks" was a racist movement that caught on in the public imagination.

Racist?  Naw, not from my perspective.  I was among the 'Disco Sucks' crowd back then, but it had nothing to do with race.  I was going to college in the mid '70s, and also playing guitar in a rock band on the side.  When my favorite clubs started to tear out their stages to make room for disco dance floors, it was much more difficult to see bands play, or to get jobs playing.  I saw it as a threat to live music in my area.  Thus, Disco Sucks.  In the very many years since then, I've learned to appreciate the genre for what it was.  As for The Beach Boys, I think Bruce Johnston and Curt Boetcher thought it would be a good idea to do a disco tune in order to keep up with the trends of the day.  I don't believe they were trying to show anybody that they could do it better (although the arrangement, especially the vocals, is quite good).  It was simply a failed experiment to see if they could get a song on the radio and in the clubs.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 12:08:38 PM by LostArt » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 12:12:28 PM »

Racist?  Naw, not from my perspective.  

I said the movement itself was racist. I'm sure there were plenty of individuals within the movement who came to their opinion for different reasons. That doesn't change the fact that the sentiments behind the movement were staggeringly racist and homophobic.

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 12:14:59 PM »

I said the movement itself was racist. I'm sure there were plenty of individuals within the movement who came to their opinion for different reasons. That doesn't change the fact that the sentiments behind the movement were staggeringly racist and homophobic.

Not trying to be argumentative, but what is your evidence for such a claim?  Curious minds want to know.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 12:21:55 PM »

Not trying to be argumentative, but what is your evidence for such a claim?  Curious minds want to know.

That it was racist should be uncontroversial. As already noted, disco was held as a threat to white hegemony by nationalist organizations who spearheaded anti-disco movements during the time of Disco Sucks. As Lester Bangs noted at the time, leading rock journalists and critics were even prone to referring to music by Otis Redding as "n----r disco sh!t." The movement itself gathered steam as a racist movement too. Rolling Stone magazine is on record as noting that when they devoted part of an issue to disco, they were inundated with racist letters.

Steve Dahl who coined the term Disco Sucks admitted that he had more of a problem with the culture than the music. Disco, for Dahl, was "intimidating" and he wrote a parody of Do You Think I'm Sexy called Do You Think I'm Disco which suggested that men could "re-masculinize" themselves by abandoning disco music.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 05:10:51 PM by rockandroll » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 12:23:03 PM »

I bet Hitler hated having wet socks as much as the next guy, that doesn't make that dislike evil! It's a genre of music, and anyone can feel free to like it or dislike for whatever reason they choose.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 12:23:32 PM »

I bet Hitler hated having wet socks as much as the next guy, that doesn't make that dislike evil! It's a genre of music, and anyone can feel free to like it or dislike for whatever reason they choose.

True. Fortunately no one here is suggesting otherwise.
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 12:33:39 PM »

Every time I hear the begining of this song I envision Ponch & Jon roaring down the freeways of LA on their motorcycles.
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 12:44:14 PM »

NOW, I understand why I've always been bigoted toward, and afraid of,  those black queers, the Bee Gees.

LOL LOL LOL

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 12:46:47 PM »

I can't blame the Beach Boys and Bruce for trying. I think L.A. The Light Album was the last great Beach Boys album before TWGMTR appeared. The attempt at a disco hit was nothing new at that time. This was one song on one album.

Wasn't Elton John's "Victim of Love" a failed attempt at Disco?

Rod Stewart's "Do ya think I'm sexy?" was a huge hit.

Blondies "Heart of Glass" was good.

How many others have traveled down the disco road? How many more can you come up with?
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 12:54:18 PM »

NOW, I understand why I've always been bigoted toward, and afraid of,  those black queers, the Bee Gees.

LOL LOL LOL

http://www.afterelton.com/content/2012/05/bee-gees-9-gayest-songwriting-contributions

Also, look for the blog article online titled "Bee Gees: Reunited and it Feels so Gay" which contains this gem: "The Bee Gees! Remember when they were cool? Neither do we. We’re not that old and we have never been that gay."
SBonilla
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 12:58:21 PM »

LOL LOL LOL
Don't laugh, Fanny, it's not funny. You should be dancing.
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 01:45:39 PM »

LOL LOL LOL
Don't laugh, Fanny, it's not funny. You should be dancing.

I am. I am. The Mexicorn Hat Dance. Join in.

Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 02:00:55 PM »

How many others have traveled down the disco road? How many more can you come up with?

Don't forget Kiss and "I Was Made For Loving You", the ultimate fusion of disco and rock!

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »

Not a big fan of disco, but the production is great on some tracks.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 02:09:53 PM »

Not a big fan of disco, but the production is great on some tracks.

Oh yeah, and musicianship too. Those disco violins and basslines. I'd like to have a stack-o-tracks disco collection concentrating on those.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx