gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 04:09:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Videos From "50 Sides Of The Beach Boys" Concert  (Read 13449 times)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2012, 03:05:56 PM »

Want to share this event with our friends on SMILEY SMILE.  If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

ADAM MARSLAND'S CHAOS BAND featuring EVIE SANDS and ALAN BOYD
TO PERFORM "FIFTY SIDES OF THE BEACH BOYS"
AT "LONG PROMISED ROAD SELL-OUT PARTY" IN LOS ANGELES FRIDAY, AUGUST 3RD

In 2006, Los Angeles pop collective Adam Marsland's Chaos Band, including legendary guitarist/vocalist Evie Sands and Beach Boys archivist Alan Boyd, recorded a live album called LONG PROMISED ROAD: SONGS OF DENNIS AND CARL WILSON LIVE at Brennan's Pub. The band performed intricately detailed covers of obscure (and very cool)... songs by the two Wilson brothers, all recorded by Brian Wilson's engineer, Mark Linett.

The album included the only available version of Dennis Wilson's 1971 composition "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again," as well as Evie Sands' new song "Don't Look Back, Don't Look Down." It became a steady seller over the years, and led to a tour, appearances with members of the Beach Boys themselves, and a gig as the house band at the 2008 Carl Wilson Foundation concert.

Lastly, it led to Adam's being interviewed in the recently released book 50 SIDES OF THE BEACH BOYS by Mark Dillon, along with our friends Alan Boyd and Earle Mankey, the Beach Boys, Cameron Crowe, and many others. Almost at the same time, the last few retail copies of LONG PROMISED ROAD finally sold, and our distributor deleted the CD. Used copies of the album are now going for $80 on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Promised-Road-Dennis-Wilson/dp/B000NJWTH0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342557200&sr=8-1&keywords=adam+marsland

In honor of these happy events, the Beach Boys' 50th anniversary, and (as it turns out) to celebrate our friend Alan Boyd's miraculous recovery from a life-threatening illness, AMCB is proud to present:

ADAM MARSLAND'S CHAOS BAND (feat. Evie Sands)
with ALAN BOYD, JOHN PERRY
and ROB Z as "Mike Love"
"50 SIDES OF THE BEACH BOYS" CONCERT
at Brennan's Pub, Marina Del Rey
Friday, Aug. 3 from 8 p.m.-1 a.m.

The band will perform 50 songs by the historic band drawn from nearly every album it ever released. The set list will be eclectic, irreverent, moving and fun. We are making an effort to mine territory different from what our friends are doing on the road with the Beach Boys on their acclaimed tour.

We will be performing with John Perry AND Alan Boyd for the first time since 2008. We will also be joined by a slew of guests including:
Norm Kelsey / Steve Gregoropoulos / Aimee Lay / Rachel Wolfe / Kristi Callan / Steve Moramarco / David Kaufman / David Daskal / Jim Mills / Chissum Worthington / Tracy Landecker / Erik Herrera and more TBA.

"FIFTY SIDES OF THE BEACH BOYS"/LONG PROMISED ROAD $50 DELUXE PACKAGE.

We've arranged with author Mark Dillon and his publisher to make a special offer in conjunction with the show.

We will be selling off the last remaining copies of LONG PROMISED ROAD: SONGS OF DENNIS AND CARL WILSON in a $50 package that includes:

1. autographed copy of the album (signed by all 6 primary musicians)
2. special bonus "AMCB PARTY" CD featuring rarities unavailable anywhere else.
3. A copy of the new book "FIFTY SIDES OF THE BEACH BOYS" by Mark Dillon.

We will be taking orders for this package, which we are pricing at $50 + $6 postage/handling, up until the Monday, August 5 OR until all remaining copies of LONG PROMISED ROAD are sold. If you are coming to the show, e-mail me to reserve a set and we will have it for you at the show.

Otherwise, e-mail me at adamghost@aol.com for details on how to order the package.  I NEED TO KNOW YOU WANT A PACKAGE BY THURSDAY, JULY 26 SO I CAN MAKE SURE THAT I AM ABLE TO RESERVE ONE FOR YOU.

The band is heavily in rehearsals not just for this, but for an all-originals  show at Taix in Los Feliz, CA the week prior, July 27. There will be no crossover between the two shows...it is a lot of work. But it's a lot of fun. We look forward to seeing our friends and fans at both shows.

band contact info:
www.adammarsland.com
www.facebook.com/karmafrog
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 04:18:25 PM by adamghost » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 03:21:41 PM »

Great to hear that Alan Boyd is well again !

I'd love to come and see you guys but on that day I'm going to see the real thing....  Wink

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 03:28:47 PM »

Not all of us are so lucky, Rocker!

But yeah, having Alan with us (and actively involved) is an unexpected surprise...to say we are thrilled is an understatement.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 03:31:16 PM »

Agree, thanks for update on Boyd.

Wish I could be there but I'll be at a wedding on the England/Wales border... Won't be in the States at all for the foreseeable... But this sounds like a must-see for those with the means.

Knock 'em dead!

“We live in divisive times.”
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 04:10:47 PM »

I too wish I could be there.  Still have fond memories of the Carl and Dennis show, which was on my birthday.  Do they still do the Turtle racing at Brennan's?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 04:15:21 PM »

Yeah, wish I could be there (British dude, sadly). Glad to hear Mr Boyd is doing well, hope this night kicks ass for you, Evie Sands (who I also love tonnes) and Alan.

You might have a customer for the package too, if I can get paid in time  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 04:17:59 PM »

Bummer...I'm literally like 7 minutes away from MDR--used to work there in fact.

I will be on the complete other end of the country on that weekend.  Bah!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 04:51:48 PM »

At first I read the title as "Fifty Shades of the Beach Boys."  That would be a book I just would not want to read.  LOL

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 05:53:38 PM »

That is going to be one awesome show! Wish I could make it, but I'm stuck on the East Coast for now -- oh, well.

For those of you who can make it to the West Coast on the appointed date, I strongly recommend Adam's shows.

slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 10:13:32 PM »

RockyRaccoon, I was just about to post the same thing. These guys are too old to think of them in a 50 Shades situation...and sorry if anyone else is that age. But when I get there, no one's gonna be reading a book about me. lol
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 04:15:11 AM »

Adam, you guys really don't have to do this for me on my 36th birthday... especially since I'll be stuck in 'sconsin...

That said, a DVD of the show would be pretty sweet for a belated birthday gift.  Hint hint.   LOL

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 01:38:09 PM »

Well, a DVD isn't really practical because of the licensing involved.  We'd lose money hand over fist.  But I'm sure some folks will do youtube.  I would hope so anyway.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 02:00:15 PM »

Oh, fun! I'll definitely turn up. Youtube, eh? Hrmrmrmmrm.

I won't deduct points for scheduling this a few weeks before MY 36th birthday.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 02:05:39 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 07:56:34 PM »

At first I read the title as "Fifty Shades of the Beach Boys."  That would be a book I just would not want to read.  LOL
I can't tell you how many people have suggested I write that as a sequel!

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
Jason
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 08:28:35 PM »

I can't tell you how many people have suggested I write that as a sequel!

"And Brian Wilson said 'Chuck, I wanna bring a horse in the studio!' and Chuck said 'WHAT THE f*** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!'..."

Gilbert Gottfried can read the audio book, just like Fifty Shades of Grey!
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 02:50:52 PM »

A note to the people that asked about the two CD/book package.  I need to get a head count (and hopefully orders in hand) from people that want in on this offer.

$50 gets you:

1.  One of the last remaining copies of our 2006 live CD LONG PROMISED ROAD, signed by all 6 primary musicians on the record (currently going for $80 on amazon), including the only currently available version of Dennis' "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again";

2.  A copy of Mark Dillon's fine new book, FIFTY SIDES OF THE BEACH BOYS, including interviews with the Beach Boys, Cameron Crowe, Alice Cooper and many others, including yours truly and our friend Alan Boyd; and

3.  A new full-length CD, AMCB PARTY, consisting of rarities and live in the studio fun, only available as part of this package.

If you want to take advantage of this package, I need to hear from you by Thursday so I can make sure we have enough books and CDs on hand.  PM me here, or at adamghost@aol.com, to get details on how to order.  Thanks!

best,
adam marsland
www.adammarsland.com
www.facebook.com/karmafrog
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 07:59:49 PM »

Bummer Adam - the family and I are heading to L.A... on Saturday the 4th.  We'll miss the show by one day.  Break a leg, and glad to hear that Alan is on the mend.

Lee
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 11:08:15 PM »

Is there a cover to get in the show?  Or must one purchase the $50 package to get in?
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 11:09:43 PM »

No.  The show itself is absolutely free.  You can walk in, listen to the music, and walk out none the poorer if you like.  We'll probably have a tip jar out at some point.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 11:12:54 PM »

Thanks!! I will probably be there!  I already have the excellent Long Promised Road CD...love it!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 11:17:04 PM »

I don't suppose you could answer this, because it would be giving away a "secret", but...what are the "rarities" on the AMCB Party cd?  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 11:57:03 PM »

I mostly can't answer it because I don't know yet, some of it we're actually going to record specifically for the CD. But I do know that we will be releasing at least one outtake from the LONG PROMISED ROAD show, and an unreleased studio recording called "There Goes The Summer" which features Probyn Gregory on french horn.  Those two are on for sure.  The plan is to have a smattering of past good material plus an in-studio acoustic vocal jam a la Beach Boys Party.  All seven principals of the band including Alan Boyd are getting together next Sunday to record it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 03:30:32 AM by adamghost » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 12:00:34 AM »

Oh, I should add Alan Boyd has been working up a long-bootlegged Beach Boys tune singing an unreleased and until now unheard verse.  But it's nowhere near as good a song as "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" and the band may not put up with it!

It sure was good seeing him in rehearsal tonight, when a month ago we were all taking turns watching him in ICU.  At one point we thought this show was going to be his memorial show.  It was that serious.  He is doing fantastic.

At this point, we are performing at least one song from every single BBs album except the current one and M.I.U.  It's a very Dave Marsh/CREEM-style set list, with equal weight given to the arty and the goofy/fun.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 03:29:49 AM »

I've made up the semi-final set list for the "50 Sides of the Beach Boys" show on Aug. 3 and here's the breakdown of the set distribution, album by album:

Number of songs to be played from each album:
SURFIN' SAFARI - 2
SURFIN' USA - 3 (maybe 4)
SURFER GIRL - 1
LITTLE DEUCE COUPE - 1
SHUT DOWN VOL. 2 - 2
ALL SUMMER LONG - 1
CONCERT! - 1
CHRISTMAS ALBUM - 0
TODAY - 2
SUMMER DAYS (AND SUMMER NIGHTS) - 3
PARTY! - 1
PET SOUNDS - 4
SMILEY SMILE - 3
WILD HONEY - 3
FRIENDS - 2
20/20 - 3
SUNFLOWER - 2
SURF'S UP - 3
CARL & THE PASSIONS - 1
HOLLAND - 3
15 BIG ONES - 2
PACIFIC OCEAN BLUE - 1
LOVE YOU - 2
M.I.U. - 0
L.A. (LIGHT ALBUM) - 1
BEACH BOYS '85 - 1
STILL CRUISIN' - 1
SUMMER IN PARADISE - 1
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 04:41:01 AM »

Anyone not sold on the bundle, buy it - even without the bonus CD, it's a steal. Wish I could be there. Wouldn't it be nice is someone ran a slave from the board ? Er, for reference purposes only, of course.  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx