gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 12:12:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Backstage at the Cuthbert Amphitheatre "UPDATE"  (Read 44767 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2012, 08:13:03 AM »

The problem here is that the Beach Boys equivalent, if it is 50 tracks, could essentially consist of the ones on Sounds Of Summer, 15 or so tracks that were featured on this tour, and maybe something like WIBNTLA, or some '60s song in its first true stereo mix, thrown in. Which would not be all that thrilling.  

True, it wouldn't be all that thrilling to us diehards.

But, as a compilation for casual or new fans, I think a 2 CD "best of" has a lot of potential. If it is done right - meaning the right songs are selected - a 50 song, 2 CD comp in a single jewel case with a budget price would be a great buy.

Can anyone think of any other major group like The Beach Boys who could fit 50 songs on 2 CD's and have them all be quality. There's only a couple. I know I'm biased but that could be the greatest 2 CD comp ever issued. I'd love a shot at compiling it. Hey, Capitol Records, I'll even work for free! Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 08:41:43 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2012, 08:17:23 AM »

50 Big Ones is the name of the 50th reunion's (tour/album/etc...) production company, and has been for at least six months if not a year. Surprised nobody here knows that.

This title - if it is the title of the upcoming release -  naturally brings to mind the 2 CD Stones compilation of 2002, Forty Licks. The release of FL was timed for the start of a year-long Stones tour and thanks partly to that - and thanks to the fact it was full of mostly classic Stones tracks (first time their pre-1971 hits were on an album with their post-1971 ones) instead of boring new stuff, it was a huge success, going to #2 on the US and UK charts and #1 on some of the European charts. The Capitol brass may have it in mind.

The problem here is that the Beach Boys equivalent, if it is 50 tracks, could essentially consist of the ones on Sounds Of Summer, 15 or so tracks that were featured on this tour, and maybe something like WIBNTLA, or some '60s song in its first true stereo mix, thrown in. Which would not be all that thrilling. 
I hear ya.  When you do the math...what are we really talking about here.  50 tracks is really about two CDs.  90% hits.  Maybe a few "obscure" tracks.  Then one bone for the fans, like WIBNTLA.  Probably a few new stereo mixes (which are always welcome).  But nothing earth shattering.  No entirely new concerts, or great swaths of previously unreleased stuff.  No adult child.  And certainly nothing we haven't heard of.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2012, 08:22:44 AM »

I'd love a shot at compling it. Hey, Capitol Records, I'll even work for free! Cheesy
Can you imagine though?  Oh, the pressure.  "Dude...how can you leave off Fairy Tale music!?!?! Such a missed opportunity!!!"

That would be my complaint.   Grin

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2012, 08:59:16 AM »

This title - if it is the title of the upcoming release -  naturally brings to mind the 2 CD Stones compilation of 2002, Forty Licks. The release of FL was timed for the start of a year-long Stones tour and thanks partly to that - and thanks to the fact it was full of mostly classic Stones tracks (first time their pre-1971 hits were on an album with their post-1971 ones) instead of boring new stuff, it was a huge success, going to #2 on the US and UK charts and #1 on some of the European charts. The Capitol brass may have it in mind.

Two CDs wouldn't be a box set, though, would it? A new best-of *and* a new box set was what was announced, I think -- I could easily see a 50-song double-CD best of being the latest compilation, but I don't see the new box set being only 50 tracks.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 19, 2012, 10:17:42 AM »

Who said that "50 Big Ones" would be only 50 tracks?  Wouldn't the '50' indicate the number of years?  Sure, the '15' in "15 Big Ones" was both for years and individual tracks, but that was a new album and not an overall career retrospective. 

My guess is that we'll see a release along the lines of what we saw with TSS: a comprehensive box set and a smaller 2-CD set.  Except this time, the special offer with the surfboard would actually make more sense...

As for the cause of this thread...in the past, there were times I was privy to juicy news in another fan community.  I either posted it right away or kept my yap shut.  I've known of people who were offline who called another fan and relayed the info for that person to post.  It's not nice to tease, ever, even if you genuinely do not have the time to means to post.  Just sayin'. 

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 19, 2012, 11:06:50 AM »

stop chasing this smoke screen; this thread has provided zero information--someone wake me if real information appears here, please.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2012, 11:54:38 AM »

Who said that "50 Big Ones" would be only 50 tracks?  Wouldn't the '50' indicate the number of years? 

That's why no one knows if it's gonna be a best of or all the albums or something else Sad title doesn't say much this time.
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2012, 12:30:15 PM »

Break open the vaults, man!  Not many bands make it to 50 years.  Let's get all the rarities out there.  A two-disc best-of for the "Endless Summer" folks who just want to rock out to "I Get Around" and "Kokomo" and then a decently sized boxed set of outtakes, unreleased tracks new stereo mixes and all sorts of odds and sods.  It'll never happen...but one can hope, right!

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2012, 01:48:10 PM »

remember, the original box was called '30 years ...'

it had more than 50 songs, remember?

do we all believe that '50 Big Ones' is the title ?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:05:40 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2012, 02:09:46 PM »

The original set wasn't half bad at the time for the amount of rare and unreleased music that it included.  If the same folks are in charge of compiling the new releases (and I hope they are) I have faith we'll have some good stuff to talk about and listen to!  I thought the Holy Grail would be WIBNTLA...but on another thread Desper claims that the band had a version of Sail On, Sailor recorded BEFORE the band left for Holland with Carl on lead vox.  He doesn't know what happened to the band's copy (his is in storage) but I would be BLOWN AWAY to hear that.  If you haven't followed that thread find it.  Fascinating discussion on that song and its genesis.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2012, 02:27:12 PM »

The original set wasn't half bad at the time for the amount of rare and unreleased music that it included.  If the same folks are in charge of compiling the new releases (and I hope they are) I have faith we'll have some good stuff to talk about and listen to!  I thought the Holy Grail would be WIBNTLA...but on another thread Desper claims that the band had a version of Sail On, Sailor recorded BEFORE the band left for Holland with Carl on lead vox.  He doesn't know what happened to the band's copy (his is in storage) but I would be BLOWN AWAY to hear that.  If you haven't followed that thread find it.  Fascinating discussion on that song and its genesis.

not half bad !??!

it was like a dream come true at the time. SMiLE for the first time, all those outtakes ...

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2012, 02:54:26 PM »

I guess time has blunted my excitement slightly!  Yes, it deserved more than just a "not half bad".  I stand corrected.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2012, 03:48:59 PM »

Well.  So far the best thing I've learned from this thread, is that Mike Love was hanging out with Jessica Simpson on the set of her "Boots" video back in the day apparently. 

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2012, 06:47:41 PM »

Original post updated

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2012, 06:51:20 PM »

#1 really has me down now. I guess I'll never know what WIBNTLA and California Feelin' 1974 sound like. That...sucks.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2012, 06:51:38 PM »

Thank you SurfRiderHawaii !

Doesn't sound liek a very interesting box set for sure... Wel, let's wait

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2012, 06:58:03 PM »

Thanks for the update. Maybe Al doesn't have all the info on the new box set? Maybe things are still being put together? Hey, we never thought there would be a SMILE box. Look at the love and care that was put into that!

Let's keep our hopes up that we'll get a real surprise with the new box set. It's time for me to meditate... Transcendental Meditation
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2012, 06:59:44 PM »

Just because Al doesn't know the song, It doesn't mean WIBNTLA won't be on the box set. Remember, the guys who are compiling it know the song and how badly we want it. Fingers crossed.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2012, 07:02:27 PM »

Al also said that Do You Like Worms wasn't the song people were telling him it was

Let's wait and see  LOL
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2012, 07:05:49 PM »

Just because Al doesn't know the song, It doesn't mean WIBNTLA won't be on the box set. Remember, the guys who are compiling it know the song and how badly we want it. Fingers crossed.

Iʻm just sayin ʻAl said it isnʻt on thereʻ.  Obviously, I REALLY hope it is!!!!!!!  Hope Al is wrong too.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2012, 07:07:59 PM »

Thanks for the update. Maybe Al doesn't have all the info on the new box set? Maybe things are still being put together? Hey, we never thought there would be a SMILE box. Look at the love and care that was put into that!

Let's keep our hopes up that we'll get a real surprise with the new box set. It's time for me to meditate... Transcendental Meditation

Yeah, Brian obviously doesnʻt like "Waves of Love".  Dump it for "WIBNTLA"?

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2012, 07:08:33 PM »

Al also said that Do You Like Worms wasn't the song people were telling him it was

Let's wait and see  LOL
And Al also said it was HIM he sang Daddy Dear!!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2012, 07:10:04 PM »

Let's wait and see  LOL
And Al also said it was HIM he sang Daddy Dear!!!

Because he did. Of course, there are two voices on there...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: July 19, 2012, 08:57:22 PM »

uh ... 50 songs isn't a box set, so I'd say that cannot be correct. i'm sure there's some kind of confusion there.

interesting stuff, but i'm taking it all as rumor really.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2012, 08:58:13 PM »

I think listening to Al for definitive details on this sort of thing is probably silly.

We were promised a comprehensive, career-spanning box. And a new hits collection. 50 Big Ones, a 2-CD set (at most) would clearly not be the former. It could well be the latter.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx