gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681562 Posts in 27643 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 14, 2024, 01:08:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which show would you like a DVD/CD from?  (Read 13408 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2012, 12:52:39 PM »

We've all seen the youtube clips, setlists etc..

For me I'd love a DVD of the Hollywood Bowl or the red rocks show... on blu ray of course

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 12:56:55 PM »

For those of us who saw the tour live, I think we'd all say the one (or more) that we personally attended!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 12:58:09 PM »

It's probably gonna be from the Beacon, they played there twice in a row, people usually do that for filming purposes.

I hope not though, because Stamos was there.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 12:59:21 PM »

I would like to see the best of any performance anywhere. So Heinz 57 playlist for me. Smiley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 01:02:21 PM »

Already Filmed:
Hollywood Bowl - for obvious sentimental/historic reasons
Red Rocks - for the wonderful venue (but not a huge loss if they don't use this one.  Plus, they didnt' have a full setup camera crew like in St. Augustine or Phoenix)
Phoenix - my top pick: from the videos I've seen--some great performances by all.  Looks to be a great one to have in full.

Missed opportunities for DVD:
Beacon Theater or Chicago Theatre - it would have been so refreshing to see a DVD of a Beach Boys show held inside a beautiful theatre.  I know they're an 'outdoor' band but it would really have been an intimate concert to watch.  Sadly not one camera anywhere at both sets of shows except for the one outside the venue taping fan interviews/reactions.  There is hope for an audio release...doubtful!

Wishlist:
Royal Albert Hall - it's one of the best venues in the world; it would be so great to have a DVD of this show. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 01:29:23 PM by Justin » Logged
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 01:04:46 PM »

they also filmed Calgary.

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 01:12:34 PM »

Wishlist:
Royal Albert Hall - it's one of the best venues in the world; it would be so great to have a DVD of this show. 

I'll be there, so we can but hope ...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 01:19:37 PM »

And then St. Augustine for the PBS documentary.  They might use some of that footage as well.

Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 02:51:16 PM »

I don't care where the footage is from so long as we get some deep tracks like "Marcella," "Add Some Music." etc, and one or both of the new songs.  If it's the same old 20 greatest hits, that would be a big disappointment.
AlFall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 02:54:42 PM »

Already Filmed:
Hollywood Bowl - for obvious sentimental/historic reasons
Red Rocks - for the wonderful venue (but not a huge loss if they don't use this one.  Plus, they didnt' have a full setup camera crew like in St. Augustine or Phoenix)
Phoenix - my top pick: from the videos I've seen--some great performances by all.  Looks to be a great one to have in full.

They didn't have a "full" camera setup at Red Rocks?  There were certainly a lot of cameras ... what is a "full" setup?

Given that previous Red Rocks DVDs have been huge hits (John Tesh, Dave Matthews, U2, among others), it's an outdoor venue, it was the longest Beach Boys show of all time (51 songs), Mike and Brian were both very animated and talkative (and sounded great singing), it's a candidate, although I was not at the Phoenix show and can't compare.  

There's an audio recording of Red Rocks now floating around, and it's 2-1/2 hours of joy and perfection. On some songs, it's got a lot of noise from the audience talking and saying strange things (I guess medical pot is legal in Colorado), but at times, when everybody is singing along with the band (on key remarkably), it's one of the most entertaining boots I've ever heard.  A pro recording that includes just some of the singing of the audience would really be incredible.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 02:55:24 PM »

If they don't have adequate coverage of the additional deep cuts played on the tour, they should put out a call for audience HD-quality camcorder recordings and sync them to the soundboard recordings they undoubtedly have and  include them as DVD extras like a few other bands do.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 02:56:35 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 03:38:50 PM »

If they don't have adequate coverage of the additional deep cuts played on the tour, they should put out a call for audience HD-quality camcorder recordings and sync them to the soundboard recordings they undoubtedly have and  include them as DVD extras like a few other bands do.

I've never heard of this..interesting idea.  What are some bands who have done this?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 04:04:14 PM »

I would certainly think and hope that they had adequate enough coverage of enough songs that they won't have to resort to audience-shot video footage.

I love the fact that we can see clips from a show on YouTube before the show is even over. But the choppy nature of a lot of that footage is off-putting. I'd like to see a professionally-shot full show.

They shouldn't have to do an archaelogical dig for footage of their own new tour.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 04:05:03 PM »

They didn't have a "full" camera setup at Red Rocks?  There were certainly a lot of cameras ... what is a "full" setup?

Both St. Augustine and Phoenix had cameras stationed on either side of the stage.  Phoenix had a camera on a dolly smack dab in front of the stage that was coasting from one end to the other, plus a camera crane gliding over the stage and snaking its way in small spots.   I saw images from Red Rocks that had a guy sitting on a chair at the front tip of the stage, with a handheld camera.

Either we're getting several different projects of concert footage or maybe one big project with several different shows mixed together...it's unclear.  At the moment, the St. Augustine and Phoenix shows had the biggest crew out there filming while the Hollywood Bowl and Red Rock shows were the two that had the smaller amount of cameras capturing the action.
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 04:06:43 PM »

Given all the filming I'm thinking we're probably getting a tour documentary and not a full, single venue concert.

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 04:08:48 PM »

Some of the shows were "professionally shot", but only for the purposes of in-house video systems. Whether the group even has rights to that footage would be unclear (although the venue certainly couldn't do anything with it either of course). They could certainly license it or have an agreement to use it.

Frankly, the more "generic" angles and editing of the live in-house video systems is preferable to the gimmicky, quick-cut stuff most bands put out when they have their own crew shoot a show. The St. Augustine footage isn't too bad, but the editing isn't too great, and the insistence on using that awful crane all the time where we have to look at nearly sideways shots of the band is annoying. I also don't like too much of the in-your-face close-ups, leading to mugging for the camera.

They should just have the same crew that shot the "Concert for George" at the Royal Albert Hall shoot the BB show in the same venue next month. A great look to the footage, and respectful, calm editing is used.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 04:14:50 PM »

Some of the shows were "professionally shot", but only for the purposes of in-house video systems. Whether the group even has rights to that footage would be unclear (although the venue certainly couldn't do anything with it either of course). They could certainly license it or have an agreement to use it.

Frankly, the more "generic" angles and editing of the live in-house video systems is preferable to the gimmicky, quick-cut stuff most bands put out when they have their own crew shoot a show. The St. Augustine footage isn't too bad, but the editing isn't too great, and the insistence on using that awful crane all the time where we have to look at nearly sideways shots of the band is annoying. I also don't like too much of the in-your-face close-ups, leading to mugging for the camera.

They should just have the same crew that shot the "Concert for George" at the Royal Albert Hall shoot the BB show in the same venue next month. A great look to the footage, and respectful, calm editing is used.

The "Concert for George" DVD is indeed perfection but that is not the way I want to watch a Beach Boys show.  The reason that particular DVD worked so well was because of the occasion: it was a calm, subdued event for a recently passed musician.  It was intense but still very respectful--which is why it worked so well.  A Beach Boys show has several radical emotions, huge dips and peaks and I would not prefer this type of sleepy editing for "Fun, Fun, Fun." 

There needs to be a great balance between the fast paced MTV-style editing and the flacid in house shots.  The live show is a VERY dynamic and vibrant two and a half hours--the live DVD should capture that same feeling.  I hope the DVD tries to capture the feeling that every person who's seen the show felt as they left the venue: the overwhelming feeling of exhileration and love.  It shouldn't be misrepresented or tamed down.  That would be a huge disservice to the band and the music.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:23:12 PM by Justin » Logged
AlFall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 04:28:15 PM »

I've never heard of this..interesting idea.  What are some bands who have done this?

Led Zeppelin did this for the "Led Zeppelin DVD" they issued a few years ago. They finally made peace with the bootleggers and asked fans to send in films and tapes.  A recording from the "Listen To This Eddie" bootleg (June 21, 1977 in LA) actually is played over the menus.  There are also fan films on that DVD.  Of course, in the 70's, most of their shows were not professionally recorded (or the tapes were lost), so some of their best performances (especially "Eddie") were not available except through the fans.  However, I would not expect the Beach Boys to do this, as they've undoubtedly got soundboard recordings of every show and plenty of professionally shot video footage.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 04:32:59 PM »

I'd give my right nut for the Woodlands show.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 04:33:53 PM »

I know that so far this reunion has been above expectations ... but I would very much doubt we will get a full set from anyplace, and I would expect most deep cuts to be absent. We'll get a doc, maybe some bonus tracks of full songs.

What's more, I doubt there will be even a quarter-second of actual audio from any of the shows present -- the whole thing will be re-recorded and "enhanced" with autotune for each and every principal.

There was bound to be a big disappointment from the reunion, and this looks like it will be it.

And for those who will doubtless say I'm wrong ... we sure haven't gotten a press release on those "surely coming to the U.S." remasters yet, have we?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:35:19 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 04:35:30 PM »

Considering the tour isn't over there is ample time for them to re-insert songs into the set that they never had a chance to film at the previous shows.  They're technically not at a point where they have no more options that they need to ask fans to submit their footage.
AlFall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 04:35:51 PM »

Given all the filming I'm thinking we're probably getting a tour documentary and not a full, single venue concert.

We have a great template: The Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE DVD.  This was a straight, full concert video, plus a documentary and interviews with fans.   That's what I expect and hope for this time.  The film crew was interviewing fans after the soundcheck at Red Rocks, and the questions focused on Brian. (e.g. "If Brian was standing here, what would you tell him?") The documentary was very rah-rah and pro-Brian overall, and I expect such a treatment this time. They're not going to talk about Landy or Manson.  There was a rather dramatic moment in the BWPS DVD, however, when just before opening night, Brian is just slouching in his chair, staring into space, refusing to go on.  Maybe we'll get a surprise or two like that.

I want a Blu-ray with high-def SOUND as well as video.  In other words, lossless 24-bit 5.1 surround, or at least 24-bit stereo.   I was disappointed that the recent Yellow Submarine Blu-ray had only lossy DTS like the DVD from the 90's.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 04:43:15 PM »

We have a great template: The Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE DVD.  This was a straight, full concert video, plus a documentary and interviews with fans.   That's what I expect and hope for this time.  The film crew was interviewing fans after the soundcheck at Red Rocks, and the questions focused on Brian. (e.g. "If Brian was standing here, what would you tell him?") The documentary was very rah-rah and pro-Brian overall, and I expect such a treatment this time. They're not going to talk about Landy or Manson.  There was a rather dramatic moment in the BWPS DVD, however, when just before opening night, Brian is just slouching in his chair, staring into space, refusing to go on.  Maybe we'll get a surprise or two like that.

I want a Blu-ray with high-def SOUND as well as video.  In other words, lossless 24-bit 5.1 surround, or at least 24-bit stereo.   I was disappointed that the recent Yellow Submarine Blu-ray had only lossy DTS like the DVD from the 90's.

None of that is going to happen. Not a bit of it.

We're not getting remasters, so why on earth would we be getting a full-length show? Capitol has already decided there's no market for such things. The filming is clearly either for a documentary on the band (with 30 second song clips sprinkled throughout), or for the archival purposes of Brother.

Treasure your recordings. That's the closest anyone here is going to get to experiencing a concert again.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 04:45:18 PM »

I know that so far this reunion has been above expectations ... but I would very much doubt we will get a full set from anyplace, and I would expect most deep cuts to be absent. We'll get a doc, maybe some bonus tracks of full songs.

What's more, I doubt there will be even a quarter-second of actual audio from any of the shows present -- the whole thing will be re-recorded and "enhanced" with autotune for each and every principal.

There was bound to be a big disappointment from the reunion, and this looks like it will be it.

And for those who will doubtless say I'm wrong ... we sure haven't gotten a press release on those "surely coming to the U.S." remasters yet, have we?

I fully expect any show they use to have 1-3 (maybe more) songs edited out.  But to assume we'll have huge chunks/sections (which include the deep cuts) of the show removed to widdle the show down to a 70-90 minute concert DVD doesn't seem right especially since a lot of these deep cuts are Brian's only lead vocals. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:54:26 PM by Justin » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 04:53:15 PM »

We're not getting remasters, so why on earth would we be getting a full-length show? Capitol has already decided there's no market for such things.

I don't see how the remasters and the DVD are mutually exclusive.  How are they connected?

Are you saying that Capitol has decided that there is no market for a full length show or that there is no market for a DVD at all?  And when exactly did Capitol "decide that?" ....again, because they appear to not be releasing the remasters in the US?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:54:59 PM by Justin » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx