gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:04:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 47: Red Rocks Amphitheatre - Morrison, CO 7/9/12  (Read 31798 times)
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 07:12:59 AM »

Do You Wanna Dance as encore?  Umh...

lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 07:27:18 AM »

It's nice to see All Summer Long back in the set.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:28:50 AM by lee » Logged
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2012, 09:00:33 AM »

That's the correct list.
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2012, 10:16:12 AM »

This must be the best setlist of the tour so far.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2012, 10:34:27 AM »

Facebook:

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2012, 10:59:45 AM »

Love this preshow shot from behind Brian's keyboard - exhibiting the patented keyboard within a keyboardRazz
Photo provided via Joe Carabeo - twitter photo documentary of the tour (@AstrayJ)

Another great preshow shot from Joe. So ya wanna be a rock n roll star?

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2012, 11:01:58 AM »

Nice set list but every set is lacking when TLGIOK is not included

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2012, 11:03:13 AM »

Love this preshow shot from behind Brian's keyboard - exhibiting the patented keyboard within a keyboard

I might not get the sarcasm but it's common nowadays to have an electric piano inside of the body of a "real" one. Just lookes nicer but at the same time is better for mixing

Thanks for the pics !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2012, 11:04:11 AM »

I agree, this could be my favorite set list of the tour so far.  Cottonfields, It's Ok , This Whole World back in.  Still Crusin' out. Interesting DYWD in the encore. Maybe they wanted to give Brian something to sing in the encore.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2012, 11:12:47 AM »

Brian does a really great, powerful lead vocal on that one. I think it works as one of the last songs.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2012, 11:37:06 AM »

I don't like the way they now set up around the piano for ASM.  I assume it's a camera angle thing for filming, but it just doesn't work in terms of showing them as a group when viewed straight on.  Though it does make Brian look like the star, since the other guys are farther away from him and he's in the center.   Which I suppose might also be the idea.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2012, 11:41:26 AM »

That's what I said.  It doesn't give you that "awww" moment when they stand all around the piano.  If it was for the cameras, I'm not sure how less emotive a shot would have been to have it done the other way...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2012, 12:58:26 PM »

Review and lots of pictures:
http://www.heyreverb.com/2012/07/10/beach-boys-red-rocks-photos-review/

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2012, 12:59:37 PM »

Oh Sweet Moses, is that a great shot!
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2012, 01:13:28 PM »

That's a great photo!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2012, 01:23:01 PM »

Check out the link for more

- Jack Rieley
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2012, 01:51:49 PM »

Love this preshow shot from behind Brian's keyboard - exhibiting the patented keyboard within a keyboardRazz
Photo provided via Joe Carabeo - twitter photo documentary of the tour (@AstrayJ)

Another great preshow shot from Joe. So ya wanna be a rock n roll star?

At least we know Brian's keyboard is plugged in...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2012, 02:48:13 PM »

Can't get over how beautiful the rock formations are. Reminds me of my long drive down I-80 in Wyoming. Sure would be nice to catch a show there one day.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2012, 08:16:05 PM »

"Wouldn't it be nice", the kids love it

BTW, That is a sh*t load of people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5HS9hxYm_U

AlFall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2012, 08:55:48 PM »

"Wouldn't it be nice", the kids love it

BTW, That is a sh*t load of people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5HS9hxYm_U

This was shot fairly close to where I was sitting. There were quite a few college-age and early-20s people in this area. They loved the Pet Sounds songs the best and really loved Heroes and Villains also.  

I bought the soundcheck package both for this show and the show in Dallas, which was only the 2nd show of the tour.  They were great then but are much better now.  Brian at times sounds nearly as good as he did in his 20's.  He was very animated during the show, probably due to coaching he got from the film crew. Mike's voice has improved as well, singing more on pitch and having an even better time on stage.   The first half dragged at bit as there was a little rain. The second half was a party atmosphere, with the crowd up and singing and dancing to almost every song.   The band is not only tighter but are really enjoying themselves more.

The soundcheck was a hoot as it was in Dallas. The Dallas soundcheck was more of a rehearsal, and there seemed to be nervousness and tension within the group. I posted before how Melinda Wilson was pacing the aisles in Dallas and yelled "thank you" when I shouted by approval that the ending of Sail On Sailor should be done Brian's way as suggested by Darian. She was at the Red Rocks soundcheck too, but just watching and relaxing.  For the show, she sat in the row in front of me with her little boy (who, although adopted, looks a lot like Brian!).  She left in the first half when it started raining but returned for the second half.   Brian acknowledged them during the show, "my family is here, my wife Melinda."  The Red Rocks soundcheck was very relaxed but very well performed, testing the principals' mics with "Wendy", "Getcha Back", "Cottonfields", "It's OK", "Please Let Me Wonder", and "Heroes and Villains".  Brian sounded wonderful - he's actually gotten better as the tour has gone on.  After "Getcha Back", I yelled, "Bruce you sound great!", and he smiled and replied, "I just sing, Brian's the guy who writes it!"   Here was an interesting exchange after "Cottonfields":

Me: Al, you sound great!
Al: I sound what?
Me: You sound great!
Al: Oh, thanks. It's a little early for great, (laughter) but thanks, I appreciate it. You should probably tell that to Love.
Brian: Hey, how about, could we do 'It's OK?'
Mike: Yeah, OK, it's OK.  Say, Brian, how about you do the music, and I do the words like usual? (laughter)

By the way, I also asked Bruce if he posts on this board, and he reply was "No, I don't post anywhere."  Sorry Kittykat, you're not Bruce.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 08:59:00 PM by AlFall » Logged
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2012, 10:46:38 PM »

With all I've read here and elsewhere, and all I've seen and heard since experiencing The Beach Boys live for the first time at Carnegie Hall in 1971 (and some twenty times after throughout the years) and seeing Brian and Band half a dozen times (plus a week of rehearsals for the Smile live DVD), I was simply unprepared for how magnificent and...utterly joyous...the sound they made was last night, high in the mountain air...I was moved in ways I never thought possible again for this group and their place in my life, and it all felt like coming full circle. I was in the 8th row center - perfect seats in this glorious venue - (and, mind you, this was after sitting in the front row for the soundcheck, which was like having them for a private screening in my living room). One of the most perfect evenings of music in my life, with such loving, exacting and powerful renditions of every song. The combination of forces from joining the two bands together (behind Cowsill's STRONG power playing throughout) and Brian's new lease on performing life (particularly his complete engagement with his singing, especially in the second half) gave these songs PERFECT live readings, with a well paced and nicely balanced setiist. You could not have asked for more from this 3.5 gig covering every facet of their incredible career. They were clearly inspired by the venue, and made several references to it throughout the night.

A celebration was had by all.

I am deliriously happy - and at peace with my love for this group.

PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2012, 10:56:21 PM »

mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2012, 11:52:59 PM »

I think it's a good idea.  Otherwise, the first two songs of the encore are the worst songs of the night. 
AlFall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2012, 03:20:18 PM »

Thanks for posting the pictures, PS.  The cell phone lights during In My Room against the backdrop of the Red Rocks was an incredibly moving experience. I was sitting right in front of you in row 7. It was indeed an unforgettable evening.   

"Do You Wanna Dance" worked as an encore at this show.  By the time we got to the encore, everybody was up and dancing.  In some ways, an outdoor venue like this can be distracting (brief light rain in the first half, people talking during the deep album cuts in the first half), but it also promotes a party atmosphere.  This was a special set list for a special show at a special venue.

I would not be surprised to see a lot of material from this concert on the new documentary.  Other artists from John Tesh to Dave Matthews had hit live concert videos from this venue.  The film crew was interviewing people who bought the VIP packages between the soundcheck and the show.  Some of the questions were, "what is it like to see the Beach Boys at a beautiful historic venue like Red Rocks?", and "If you were talking to Brian Wilson right now, what would you say?"   I was in line to get interviewed and signed a waiver, but they let the crowd in early (6:00 pm rather than 6:30), so they had to stop.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2012, 05:21:23 PM »

10 thousand cell phones in the air yet only 3 videos from the show are on youtube..

Irritating  LOL

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx